Entitlements

ClimacusClimacus Shipmate
Australians have emailed MPs with dozens of requests for free portraits of the Queen, after the little-known entitlement was publicised this week.

Under official rules, citizens may ask for "nationhood" material - things such as Australian flags, anthem recordings, and portraits of the head of state.

What are you entitled to? Politically, socially, in the corporate world, etc. that is interesting?

Comments

• Do you get a free dartboard of Trump if you are a Yank?
  • MMMMMM Shipmate
    Well, it's not really an entitlement. But I was just remarking to Macarius that (being semi-retired), there is a great deal of pleasure to be gained from sitting in bed with a cup of tea listening to people going to work.

Perhaps more the sort of thing is that my job means I get to go into quite a lot of interesting buildings, Livery Company halls etc. This is always a privilege and a pleasure as well as work.

MMM
  • FirenzeFirenze Heaven Host
    I, of course, spend my entire time riding round for free on the bus. And gloating.
  • North East QuineNorth East Quine Shipmate
    edited August 10
    Free prescriptions, free eye tests and no university tuition fees here in Scotland.

The North East family's household income is above the point at which we pay more tax than we would in England, but boy, is it worth it!!

• CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    Socialized medicine in Canada.
  • Senior discounts at a variety of places.
  • finelinefineline Purgatory Host
    I’ve been getting free sight tests since my prescription reached -10, which was years ago. I forget sometimes that other people have to pay to get their eyes tested.
  • FirenzeFirenze Heaven Host
    And while travelling for free I loom and glare at any young or fit occupying the seats at the front and make pointed remarks like ‘Shift yer arse!’
  • NicoleMRNicoleMR Shipmate
    It is no longer the case, but at one time, you could get a free buffalo from the government. I don't know how it worked, presumably you had to prove you had enough land to support it,but you could do it, at least in the 60s.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host
    I wonder if that's what inspired a Peanuts cartoon where Linus decides he's going to become a farmer and write to the Secretary of Agriculture and ask for a free cow?
  • Gramps49Gramps49 Shipmate
    My Social Security check--and my own opinion.
  • PuzzlerPuzzler Shipmate
    Firenze wrote: »
    And while travelling for free I loom and glare at any young or fit occupying the seats at the front and make pointed remarks like ‘Shift yer arse!’
    Coming home on the bus at 3.50 pm recently ( after my voluntary work) there were lots of teenagers seated, including two lads aged around 15-16 in the front seats which are clearly labelled as being for those who are unable or find it difficult to stand. The bus filled up and several people old enough to be their grandparents were standing.
    Not one young person stood up. When someone else got off, two men motioned to me to sit down which I did. The only way anyone got a seat was if someone got off.
    I really wanted to say something, I know I should have.
    Those two lads were NOT entitled to sit there. I suppose they thought they had paid, whereas we older folk had used our passes.
    I must admit though that I am not too frail to stand, so am I being unreasonable to think such thoughts?
  • No.

Let the young and fit stand, or sit at the back. By the time they're old enough to have free passes, there'll be no free passes. Or buses.

I'm not ashamed to confess that, whilst temporarily disabled (hopefully), I'm not ashamed to emphasise the point by using my walking-stick.

Let the reader understand.

IJ
    I have a disability bus pass, and it actually says on all the info on it that it doesn’t entitle you to a seat. The disability seating isn’t a right - it depends on courtesy. Anyone can sit on those seats - there is a courtesy sign asking them please to offer the seat to people less able, but generally people don’t, and it isn’t something that can be legally enforced. I won’t get on a bus if I see I’d have to stand, because I get dizzy standing on a bus - I wait for the next one. But I will ask people to move their bag if their bag has a seat to itself - because their bag is not entitled to a seat! I do notice that many older people don’t like to ask though. One time I got on a bus and didn’t realise it was full, and then I actually asked the schoolkids in the disabled seats if one of them could let me sit (I don’t look like I would need a seat, so I showed them my pass and said I have difficulty standing) and one teenage girl did give me her seat.
  • Yes, you're right - and it does take a certain amount of courage/cheek to ask (politely, but firmly) for room to be made, whether by Bag or Bum.

I simply threaten to collapse in a Humpled Creep - that generally frightens peeps into being co-operative....and, alas, would probably come true, anyway.
    :grimace:

Having a walking stick (aka scaffolding) does help, I find.

IJ
  • Are we entitled to courtesy? I see it sometimes. I've thought at times that there's more courtesy today than say 1978, and other times not. Perhaps the nature of it has changed? I certainty see that everyone is entitled to criticise everyone and everything.

We're not entitled to inter-city and between town buses anymore. They are all gone. We're not entitled to anything subsidized in the liberal-capitalist world which is melting the social democratic welfare state to a puddle. If you can't drive you don't go. Hitchhiking. Not sure if that's the answer to no public transport.
    It can be awkward asking. Though I find young people always move their bags willingly if I ask - the people who are sometimes unwilling (they do move their bag but glare at you!) are older people. I sometimes get elderly people glaring at me and whispering to themselves when they see me use my bus pass too. I have no ‘scaffolding’ and look youngish.

The people who really get a hard time of it are those in wheelchairs - they do have a legal right to take the wheelchair spot, and the driver will intervene if parents aren’t willing to fold up/move their buggies, and some mums really resent it, and kind of gang up on the guy in the wheelchair, making it obvious to him that he’s not welcome.
  • When the other half was pregnant with twins she found that on the rare occasions when she was offered a seat it was invariably by a young male. Women and middle-aged men just sat there. And she was very obviously pregnant - as in looked like she had a mule in there!
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited August 11
    I must say that our local bus drivers are quite forthcoming when room is needed for wheelchair users, and have no compunction in not moving off until Young Mum with fold-up Buggy and Kid(s) with Working Legs have co-operated... :wink:

Of course, back in the Good Old Days, when buses had the driver and engine at the front, and an open rear platform (with high step) and clippie at the back, no-one with mobility problems, or in a wheelchair, was able to get on them, let alone travel on them.

Perhaps, in some respects at least, times have changed for the better, even if our old Bristols* and Guys* may have been more rugged and reliable.

IJ

(*long gone, but not forgotten, types of British bus...)
  • B&Q used to give a seniors discount on Wednesdays, but I have just received an email that they are discontinuing it. My privilege has been lost.
  • NicoleMR wrote: »
    It is no longer the case, but at one time, you could get a free buffalo from the government. I don't know how it worked, presumably you had to prove you had enough land to support it,but you could do it, at least in the 60s.
    In the early 70s I bought a book called something like "1001 Things You Can Get for Free." It was mostly advertising freebies. The free buffalo (actually I think it might have been a moose) was in there. So I sent off a request in my mother's name and address. She received a letter from the U.S. Department of Whatever, thanking her for her request and apologizing that they no longer offered whatever ruminant it was. She immediately knew I was behind it. The letter sat on her kitchen table for quite some time, and gave her a giggle every time she saw it.

• B&Q used to give a seniors discount on Wednesdays, but I have just received an email that they are discontinuing it. My privilege has been lost.

My usual grocer offers a 10% discount the first Wednesday of the month, and I believe another local chain does as well. It's a great time to stock up on non-perishable things -- though you run the risk of being mowed down by someone in an electric cart.
  • In Wales we all get free prescriptions. After moving from England it has saved me a lot of money (even with the English discount card). You can't help it if you have a long term disability/illness that needs constant medication. So pray you aren't long term ill in England - or perhaps other places too.

In Wales we get free bus travel for over 60s, and free swimming. Most people on buses will give disabled older people seats, though not all. But disability isn't always obvious. I have found Welsh people much more helpful than Londoners.

In London a number of years ago, after a leg operation and being on crutches, no one offered me a seat on the Tube, until one young man, hardly out of school, stood up at the other end of the carriage and offered me his seat, apologised for not seeing me and berated all the folks at my end of the carriage - most in their 20s/30s/40s.

You can now get badges for London Transport, if you are pregnant ("Baby on board"). My daughter in law had one.
  • RossweisseRossweisse Shipmate, 8th Day Host
    I have always had good luck getting a seat on the Tube; I do depend upon a cane.

• My daughter, who has joint problems, nearly fell into the lap of one man who was studiously ignoring her while sitting in one of the seats marked with the disabled stickers on the tube recently. I was hoping she would as it would have served him right. The next time I did a polite yell to the seated throng, asking if someone could give up a seat for her, which they did good-humouredly. She was wearing obvious braces the second time.

I was offered a seat twice and only twice commuting to work while pregnant. It's not new this problem.
  • MooMoo Kerygmania Host
    Many years ago my husband got on a Boston subway car carrying our six-month-old and holding our three-year-old's hand. There were no seats free, and he didn't have a hand free to hold on. A woman sized up the situation and gave him a seat. All the men just sat there.
  • ClimacusClimacus Shipmate
    Finnish expectant or adoptive parents get a care package containing "children's clothes and other necessary items, such as nappies, bedding, cloth, gauze towels and child-care products".
    Go Scotland!

Not quite a buffalo, but more useful I suspect. And books too.
  • sionisaissionisais Shipmate
    edited August 13
    My pension. And the opportunity to collect it and continue working part-time. And free prescriptions. And my bus pass for the whole of Wales.
  • Riding the Ottawa bus for free on Wednesdays.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    All children born in Christchurch are given a package of board books from the library. Nationwide -when over 65 free bus/train travel between 9am and 3pm, free flu injection every year, extra $20 a week winter power subsidy, free booster tetanus shot, free shingles vaccination, part pay for the first 20 prescriptions a year - the rest are free.
  • EnochEnoch Shipmate
    fineline wrote: »
    I’ve been getting free sight tests since my prescription reached -10, which was years ago. I forget sometimes that other people have to pay to get their eyes tested.
    I'd prefer to have the eyesight.

Enoch wrote: »
    fineline wrote: »
    I'd prefer to have the eyesight.

Ha, yes, and at my strength and complexity of prescription, the glasses themselves cost so much that the small amount saved on sight tests doesn’t really make much difference! But still, it is an entitlement I get, so I mentioned it. When my eyesight got to that level, the optician said she had good news and bad news - both were the same, that my eyes were bad enough for free sight tests! :lol:

• LandlubberLandlubber Shipmate
    edited August 22
    Sort of tangent @fineline If you are in the UK and your sight is poor, have you asked about NHS vouchers towards the cost of the glasses on account of complex lenses? Last time I heard, that particular entitlement was not income-based. It would still be a drop in the ocean of the cost but if the entitlement is there ... [If this is not relevant, my apologies.] /end Sort of tangent
    Thanks, Landlubber. I didn’t know that. I know there is an income based one, and I would probably qualify for that. I’m just very disorganised and get confused filling in forms, but I should look into it - thanks for the info.
    Donate to an Anglican church and you are entitled to a letter of recommendation for St Peter...

No promises but parish letter could get you to 'pearly gates'
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-26/parish-offers-heavenly-recommendation-for-church-donations/10161586
  • EnochEnoch Shipmate
    Climacus wrote: »
    Donate to an Anglican church and you are entitled to a letter of recommendation for St Peter...

No promises but parish letter could get you to 'pearly gates'
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-26/parish-offers-heavenly-recommendation-for-church-donations/10161586
    How do you take it with you? Is it stuck in your mouth?
  • I'm not a schoolgirl or student, but if I were, I'd be entitled to free sanitary protection in Scottish schools, colleges and universities. :)
  • EirenistEirenist Shipmate
    I find Asian men are punctilious at offering me (80-year old male and my wife their seats on public transport. Not so the 'native' Brits.
  • RossweisseRossweisse Shipmate, 8th Day Host
    Really? I've always had wonderful experiences with ethnically British people in London.

• It's not necessarily the young who are the most inconsiderate on the public transport. When I was riding the bus as a pregnant lady, I encountered far more rudeness from little old people who assumed (wrongly) that they were entitled to a seat. The Parisian transport authority has a detailed list of priority and pregnant women are in front of otherwise healthy seniors.
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    edited August 31
    London =/= England =/= UK so mileage may differ.

My experience of London has led me to the conclusion that people survive the hell-hole it is by pretending everyone else doesn't exist.

The lady at Gatwick railway station ticket office was lovely though. She was able to help with my basic requirement to get a family of 5 into and around central London for a day after the 27*10^65886534 options offered by TfL's website had fried my brain.

I got the impression though that getting a seat was achieved only by boarding the train at Brighton.
  • Mr SmiffMr Smiff Shipmate
    This all reminds me of the notices that used to be on South Yorkshire Transport buses in Sheffield (and elsewhere in South Yorkshire, presumably) when I was growing up there in the 1980s; they said something like:
    Courtesy makes the journey more pleasant for everyone. Children can help by giving up their seat for older people at busy times.

(As far as I remember, the bold for "children" was in the original.) I must admit I do remember as a child resenting being singled out for this and asking my mum why it was only children who were being asked to do this.
  • sionisaissionisais Shipmate
    It's not necessarily the young who are the most inconsiderate on the public transport. When I was riding the bus as a pregnant lady, I encountered far more rudeness from little old people who assumed (wrongly) that they were entitled to a seat. The Parisian transport authority has a detailed list of priority and pregnant women are in front of otherwise healthy seniors.

Are "les mutiles de guerre" (war wounded) still accorded priority? I remember that from the sixties nd seventies.
  • Yep they're still first on the list. It must have been written in about the 1950s and has never been updated.
  • I always imagine arguments breaking out between various people on the list around a single empty seat.
  • Let's just say that such arguments are not limited to your imagination :wink:

(Picture a pregnant rouge being asked to give up her seat by a little old lady and telling her to bugger off)
  • He he he.
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    I have a furry bus, tram and train pass who entitles me to go on all local public transport free, so long as he is with me. :mrgreen: