Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Coping in the Time of Covid-19 - New and Improved!

Comments

• North East QuineNorth East Quine Purgatory Host
    No, Sarasa wins, hands down. Also, the intrepid Mrs S with her care for the late Dowager.

Sitting on my backside, with a coffee and a chocolate biscuit, in front of a computer, is something for which I have a natural talent. Staying up past my bedtime is a bit more challenging, but nothing to complain about. Having a bit of a whinge on the Ship is also easy. :)

• PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    You all deserve medals! :)
  • SarasaSarasa All Saints Host
    I think I'd have to decline. The award should go to those brave souls who have decided to bring their aged parents to live with them for the duration of the crisis. If my mother was still at home I think I'd have felt honour bound to have done that (or to have gone and lived with her). We'd probably both be dead by now and it wouldn't be due to the virus.
    All I do is walk up to her care home and drop off random things that she may or may not like.
    The company that owns her care home phoned me this week about the possibility of doing some volunteering (I'd filled in a form about it a few weeks ago). I realised during the phone call that my severe hearing loss would make me a total lability as a carer in any capacity so I withdrew my application.
  • No, Sarasa wins, hands down. Also, the intrepid Mrs S with her care for the late Dowager.

Thank you @North East Quine - we all do what we can, but may I say that this forum provided a safe outlet for my feelings, available nowhere else?

I am honestly relieved that I no longer have the Dowager to worry about, that her life is 'hid with Christ on high'.

Mrs. S, in awe of anyone who could have their AP to live with them

• W HyattW Hyatt Shipmate
    Not sure if this is the best thread to post this, but I thought I'd point out that anyone with a gas-powered automobile that will be used so little that it will be months before the next fill-up should think about getting gas stabilizer to add in order to prevent problems from old gas. I was surprised to see that it looks like I can order it from Amazon (in the U.S.).
    edited April 2020
    Would it help if you drove your car once round the block every so often, just to get it turning over?

In slightly related news, I've been noticing on my daily amble how spectacularly clean and sparkly everyone's cars are! :)
  • Huh. Not here - the unrelenting East Wind covers any car with Dust, only partly washed away by today's Ra*n...

But I was greatly cheered by the news, some time ago, that the Episcopal Chariot's MoT test, due about now, could be deferred for up to 6 months.

As the Chariot is currently doing only about 5 miles a week (!) to and from shopping trips, I've told my garage (who kindly reminded me that the test was due) that I'll be in touch with them in a couple of months' time (DV)...
  • Alan Cresswell Alan Cresswell Admin, 8th Day Host
    My car is filthy. a) because it hasn't rained for a month, b) because on a couple of occasions there hasn't been a space outside the flat and the nearest space are under trees full of birds, and c) the car washes aren't open (though to be fair I very rarely used them anyway - Scotland can usually be relied upon to wash cars for free with water in torrents from the sky).
  • As I said - but AFAIK our local car washes are still open (well, the ones at the petrol stations - the 'Hand Car Wash' places are indeed all closed).

BTW - Bird Poo does have extraordinarily strong adhesive properties (I, too, have had sometimes to park the Chariot under a tree). I wonder if it could be used as a free source of glue for some purposes?
  • Just spoken to my osteopath, whilst paying online for today's Pilates session via Zoom!

He is hopeful that the clinic may be able to reopen, on a very limited basis, for 1:1 osteopathy/acupuncture sessions, within the next couple of weeks, PROVIDING that restrictions are lifted accordingly.

He told me that basic face-masks usually costing 3p each are now costing him 66p each... :angry: (though that may simply reflect the sheer scarcity of such frivolities).
  • As I said - but AFAIK our local car washes are still open (well, the ones at the petrol stations - the 'Hand Car Wash' places are indeed all closed).

BTW - Bird Poo does have extraordinarily strong adhesive properties (I, too, have had sometimes to park the Chariot under a tree). I wonder if it could be used as a free source of glue for some purposes?

Well, it's already harvested for fertiliser. I wonder whether your garden might receive a treat from the car washing...
  • Indeed. I don't actually possess a Garden, but I take your point...
    :wink:
  • Piglet wrote: »
    I've been noticing on my daily amble how spectacularly clean and sparkly everyone's cars are! :)
    Not here either. The Arizona desert climate "enjoyed" in the Phoenix area does produce a lot of dust. And when it rains (although I think we've seen the last of rain for awhile) it's generally a "Phoenix rain" -- just enough raindrops to muddy up the coating of dust on people's cars. And then, of course, there's the white wing doves, who poop in buckets-ful.

The fully automated car washes are open. Those staffed by attendants are not. I do run the Amandamobile through the wash when I go to buy gas, which is only about every two or three weeks now.
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    My car which used to be sapphire blue is now yellow with all the pollen. We apparently had some of Miss Amanda's Phoenix rain (thanks for giving those rare spits a name!) on rare occasions over the past few weeks. It created tiny, little brown mud pies all over the car.

I did try to go through the automatic car wash. It didn't like the smell of my money. Thank goodness nobody was waiting behind me, as the way in is a twisty path and I don't suppose someone would have enjoyed that little special driving test.
  • This evening I pointed out to Mr RoS that the car had not moved from the drive since March 12th, so his kind offer to take me shopping in it, if we have rain tomorrow morning, could be futile.
    If the local weather forecast is correct it should be dry first thing in the morning. If so, I will go shopping on foot and hope to be home before the rain arrives.
  • PuzzlerPuzzler Shipmate
    My car started with no problems after three weeks, but a week or so later it would not start. The breakdown guy who got it going told me that the few miles I had covered had done more harm than good. He advised at least 15 miles. Alternatively, sitting in the car with the engine running for about 25 minutes should do the trick ( no radio or anything).
  • Graven ImageGraven Image Shipmate
    edited April 2020
    @ Puzzler, Thank you for the post. I was wondering how far I should be driving each week. Am I correct that your breakdown guy was speaking of a weeks worth of driving should be at least one day at 15 miles?
  • RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host, Glory
    I had to replace the battery in my (newish) hybrid car; it's so quiet when it's not actually moving that the caregiver who was driving it, and who insisted on letting me out (because the space is awfully close to my daughter's bicycle) left it on, thinking it was off. For the record, hybrid batteries are unreasonably pricey. I need to have a friend drive it a few miles every week, I think.
  • Sheesh.
  • Penny SPenny S Shipmate
    I've got a small PV panel plugged into the what used to be a ciggie lighter socket to keep the battery charging. (I bought a big one and then trashed it by forgetting to unplug it when I started up!)
  • PuzzlerPuzzler Shipmate
    @Graven Image. Yes, a 15 mile journey once a week is what he recommended, ideally a decent run rather than lots of messing about at traffic lights etc. We have a good dual carriageway near us p,pso that is ideal. I will combine the run with a pick up of groceries from my daughter who has a delivery booked and has ordered some items for me. I am not going anywhere otherwise.

Penny S that charger sounds worth investigating.
    Listening to all those car woes I am so glad we gave our car up when we moved here. When/If we move again we'll probably need one, but at the moment I am enjoying being car free.
  • Puzzler wrote: »
    My car started with no problems after three weeks, but a week or so later it would not start. The breakdown guy who got it going told me that the few miles I had covered had done more harm than good. He advised at least 15 miles. Alternatively, sitting in the car with the engine running for about 25 minutes should do the trick ( no radio or anything).

Sitting with it idling for 25 minutes is not a good idea - very bad for fouling catalytic converters and sensors that go with them. It's better to go out for a brisk drive and make sure the temperature gauge stays at 'normal' for a while.

A useful accessory is a small solar panel that can be plugged into the cigarette lighter (but apparently not on some more recent cars). This works well for keeping the battery trickle charged over long periods, which I know from leaving the car at an airport for three weeks.
  • Our cars are covered with encrusted pollen.
  • FirenzeFirenze Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    mousethief wrote: »
    Our cars are covered with encrusted pollen.

That sounds like a practise sentence in a Duolingo tutorial.
  • Definitely a conversation starter. :open_mouth:
    Firenze wrote: »

Quotes file!
    Firenze wrote: »

TEN POINTS!

• cf. 'My hovercraft is full of eels!'

'Mon autoglisseur est plein d'anguilles'
    Do not mock! I thought that "I am eating a turnip, I am so happy" was a sentence I would never use. And then came lockdown.
  • Alan Cresswell Alan Cresswell Admin, 8th Day Host
    At the moment you can say whatever you like, there's no one to hear you (unless you happen to be in a Zoom meeting and don't have your mic muted).
  • la vie en rougela vie en rouge Purgatory Host, Circus Host
    Those of us with small children always have our mics muted.
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    Our local home brew shop is now doing deliveries.

I have 3 40 pint kits stacked up. That should be good for a couple of months with what we've for.
  • BoogieBoogie Heaven Host
    My son, who is a nurse in Heidelberg, has had a bad fever for three nights. He had a Covid19 test on Tuesday and it came back negative. He’s been sent for another test today.

:confused:
    There are a number of lovely walks here, all of which are popular. It's easy enough to maintain social distancing, but it does involve a certain amount of stepping aside, walking backwards etc.

I thought I had come up with a wizard wheeze. There has been a vague intention for some years to make a photographic catalogue of the stones in our kirkyard, some of which date back to the early C18th. The kirkyard was declared full in 1950, and the only burials since then have been in existing plots. I think there have been 3 burials in it since 2000. It's not somewhere the recently bereaved go to place flowers.

I have started walking around the kirkyard taking photographs. I open the gate with a gloved hand and I don't touch anything thereafter till I close the gate with a gloved hand. I have always been entirely alone in the kirkyard. In the unlikely event someone else came in, we could easily remain 10 metres apart at all times.

Today there is a sign up asking people to "reduce" cemetery visits to help stop the spread of COVID 19. It looks as though it's a generic sign which I assume the council is posting on all cemetery gates.

I don't want to be one of those people who thinks the rules don't apply to them. Or can I still go, say, once a week, and claim that's a reduction? Should I stop my project?
  • Boogie wrote: »
    My son, who is a nurse in Heidelberg, has had a bad fever for three nights. He had a Covid19 test on Tuesday and it came back negative. He’s been sent for another test today.

:confused:

I believe (or rather I've heard) that test reliability is about 75% so there can be false negatives. Hopefully not.
    Boogie, I was typing my post when you posted. I hope your son will recover quickly.
  • Do not mock! I thought that "I am eating a turnip, I am so happy" was a sentence I would never use. And then came lockdown.

You may enjoy: this meme does not exist. choose a picture and hit refresh.
  • Boogie, I was typing my post when you posted. I hope your son will recover quickly.

Same here. May his fever only be a reaction to some indiscretion. If something more serious, then may he muster the strength to conquer it.
  • I thought that "I am eating a turnip, I am so happy" was a sentence I would never use.
    One of my favorite expressions is "I throw myself upon the mercy of the Court." And I actually did get to use that once -- in traffic court.

Although I still haven't used "She's lively and lots of fun."

I feel a Heaven thread coming on . . . .
    @Boogie, I hope they discover what’s causing your son’s fever pronto. Such a worry when you can’t be there to help.

• the woman down the street is having an alcoholic 50th birthday party, during a lockdown--with about 20 people and no social distancing whatsoever. I spoke to one woman (she wanted to know where to park her car) and asked her if she was aware we had probably about 600 cases locally. She told me, "Oh, I'm in healthcare" as if that made it all right, and added that her little sister had organized the event. WTF?

I am now struggling with whether I call the cops (who won't appreciate being exposed to drunken idiots with possible COVID) or let them stew in their own, er, COVID.
    What did you end up doing, @Lamb Chopped?
  • Looked up the city website to see if they had advice about such things--nope. Then tried to get counsel from a couple of real life people, failed miserably, realized the sun was setting (which would probably put a natural end to an outdoor party--that or drive it inside, where it would not be nearly as detectable)--said "oh shit," and gave up.
    Thing is, I was going to feel like shit either way. (No children appeared to be involved, or it would have been a complete no-brainer.)
  • BoogieBoogie Heaven Host
    Our police force have an online system for reporting people who gather. I saw a group of (very harmless looking, but virus sharing nonetheless) young people on the green near us. I did the reporting online and a police car came. The officer had a word with them and took their details. They dispersed.

The penalty is a fine - no doubt to the parents.

We see police patrol cars every day on the streets. (they had long ago stopped patrolling before Covid)

We are only allowed one walk a day. Only one person in the family is allowed to shop at one time.

• One of our parks is noted for its cherry blossom tour-thingy. Cancelled, of course. Those found in the park will be assessed fines beginning at CAD$750, I am told.
  • kingsfoldkingsfold Shipmate
    edited May 2020
    My veg box has brought me asparagus. Um, what do I do with it? Grill? Steam? Dunk it in egg? Something else?
  • Give it to a deserving friend/neighbour (at a safe distance, of course)?

Isn't asparagus the stuff that turns one's wee a funny colour?
  • kingsfoldkingsfold Shipmate
    Thought that was beetroot... Though I'm given to believe asparagus can change the um... scent.

It's not that I don't like the stuff, I've just not cooked with it and don't have much idea as to what to do with it. It keeps coming up on Masterchef etc, but I don't cook like that!
  • FirenzeFirenze Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    kingsfold wrote: »
    My veg box has brought me asparagus. Um, what do I do with it? Grill? Steam? Dunk it in egg? Something else?

Give it to me. Failing that, prep as follows: hold a spear at mid point, and pull down the bottom end. It should snap cleanly. Discard woody end.

Now either steam or microwave briefly until just tender. Slather with butter and eat.