(Abbreviated) Celebrity Death Pool 2018: In Heaven, There Is No Beer

Comments

• SipechSipech Shipmate
    With Ken Dodd now resting, I need to make a substitution. So I will add back to my list James Watson, the co-discoverer of the double helix structure of DNA. He last appeared in my 2016 selection.
  • Yes. Not a great loss to 'entertainment', IMHO, as I found his brand of 'comedy' rather puerile, to say the least.

Still, anyone who could make a fortune out of singing 'Nick-nacky, nick-nock, nicky-nacky nick-nock, nick-nacky-nick-nock, nicky-nocky-noo' must have had something going for him.

RIPARIG.

IJ
  • Judy Parfitt - Sister Monica Joan - to replace Ken Dodd - and I hope this is a kiss of life.
  • Schroedingers CatSchroedingers Cat Shipmate, Waving not Drowning Host
    Nobody had him, as far as I know, but Hubert de Givenchy - the fashion designer - has died
  • The Rogue wrote: »
    Sipech wrote: »
    A few of us have Ken Dodd on our list, though he has now sadly died..
    Did he?

No, Doddy.

• :grimace:

(the nearest I could get to groan)

IJ
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Yes. Not a great loss to 'entertainment', IMHO, as I found his brand of 'comedy' rather puerile, to say the least.
    I'm so glad you said that, BF - he really wasn't my cup of tea either, but it seems almost heretical to say so.

Still, I understand he was a gentleman, which is more than can be said for some.

RIP.

• 1. Ruth Bader Ginsburg (because putting her on the list guarantees she'll make it through the year)
    2. Robert Mugabe (he's got nothing left to live for now)
    3. John McCain (low-hanging fruit)
    4. Bill O'Reilly
    5. H.R,H. Phillip Mountbatten
    6. Sir Ian McKellen
    7. Steve Bannon (He's not looking healthy)
    8. Dame Judy Dench
    9. Morrisey
    10. Vladimir Putin (just for the hell of it)
    11. Philip Roth
    12. Rupert Murdoch
    13. David Crosby
  • 1. Duke of Edinburgh.
    2. Queen Elizabeth II.
    3. George HW Bush.
    4. Donald Trump.
    5. Esther Rantzen.
    6. Ion Iliescu (former President of Romania).
    7. Robert Mugabe.
    8. Stephen Fry.
    9. David Beckham.
    10. Brad Pitt.
    11. Macaulay Culkin.
    12. Nigel Farage.
    13. Pope Benedict XVI.
  • EuphomanEuphoman Shipmate
    1: Norman Fowler
    2: Dennis Skinner
    3: Vladimir Putin
    4: Keith Richards
    5: HRH Prince Philip
    6: Harald V King of Norway
    7: Bashar al Assad
    8: Kim Jong-un
    9: Tony Blair
    10: Rupert Murdock
    11: Charlie Sheen
    12: Rolf Harris
    13: Donald J Trump

• CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    Here's my list, in order of descending age.
    1. Stan Lee, né Stanley Martin Lieber (writer, executive producer, 1922)
    2. Henry Alfred Kissinger, né Heinz Alfred Kissinger (ex-Secretary of State, unindicted war criminal, 1923)
    3. George Herbert Walker Bush (ex-President, 1924)
    4. Jiang Zemin, 江泽民 (ex-General Secretary, ex-President, 1926)
    5. Sandra Day O'Connor (Supreme Court Justice, senior status, 1930)
    6. Toni Morrison, née Chloe Ardelia Wofford (writer, 1931)
    7. William Shatner (actor, 1931)
    8. John Sidney McCain III (Senator, 1936)
    9. William Thad Cochran (Senator, 1937)
    10. Thomas John "Tom" Brokaw (journalist, 1940)
    11. Richard Bruce "Dick" Cheney (cyborg ex-Vice President, 1941)
    12. Paul John Manafort, Jr. (political consultant/bagman, 1949)
    13. Martin Shkreli (businessman/pharmaceutical extortionist, 1983)

Birth years are all gathered from Wikipedia. If they're wrong it's Wiki's fault.

For bonus points (if applicable) if George H. W. Bush, Henry Kissinger, or John McCain die in 2018 I predict they will lie in state in the U.S. Capitol Rotunda.

If Sandra Day O'Connor dies in 2018 I predict she will lie in state in the Great Hall of the Supreme Court.

If Thad Cochran or Dick Cheney die in 2018 I predict neither will lie in state in any federal facility, though Mississippi might officially honor Cochran in some way.
  • Leorning CnihtLeorning Cniht Shipmate
    edited March 2018
    Stephen Hawking has died. He died "in the early hours of Wednesday" so puts the first points on the scoreboard bare hours after the starter's gun. I suppose pi day is fitting...

I make that 24 points for 5 people.

(xpost with Ruth)
  • NiteowlNiteowl Shipmate
    Sttephen Hawkin has departed to the great cosmos.
  • SipechSipech Shipmate
    I fear the Grim Reaper may have been waiting for our game to begin. First: Hawking. Now Jim Bowen has left us at the age of 80. As a child growing up in the 1980s, Bullseye was a staple of weekend television.
  • edited March 2018
    So, it looks like the Inside Track With The Grim Reaper award to those who had Stephen Hawking, and to those who had Jim Bowen - have a look at what you would have won....
  • In news that is not super, smashing or great, Bulleseye presenter, Jim Bowen has died
    I win some points, but didn't want to. Stephen Hawking was a genuine genius - and this is a case where ther word is not misplaced.

On the positive side, I am 1 person closer to being the most brilliant person in the world.
  • So I get some points for Stephen Hawking. Not sure how I feel about that.
  • LydaLyda Shipmate
    Despite what the pundits say about A Brief History of Time being one of the least read best sellers, I take some satisfaction in having read it cover to cover. Although I must admit that I read a number of chapters several times before I got some sort of grasp of them. :blush:
  • balaambalaam Shipmate
    Prof. Hawking had a great sense of humour.
    I am posting this as a tribute.
  • Balls! Too late! ah well, 2019...

AG
  • Did anyone have Cardinal Keith O'Brien?
  • One from the "didn't realise they were still alive" list - Katie Boyle
  • EnochEnoch Shipmate
    Dame Vera Lynn is still alive. But as she was 101 yesterday, the scoring rules make her a bad choice in this competition.
  • Enoch wrote: »
    Dame Vera Lynn is still alive. But as she was 101 yesterday, the scoring rules make her a bad choice in this competition.

Oops! But Happy Birthday to her!
  • HedgehogHedgehog Shipmate
    Lazarus has died. Curiously, right about the same time as his company. :open_mouth:
  • EnochEnoch Shipmate
    Hedgehog wrote: »
    Lazarus has died. Curiously, right about the same time as his company. :open_mouth:
    Will he be called back?

• HedgehogHedgehog Shipmate
    Damn it. It is Opening Day for baseball, only to be greeted with the news that Rusty Staub has died. When he played for Montreal, he picked up the nickname of "Le Grand Orange," but mostly he is associated with the NY Mets.
    Greengrass is pushing up the daisies.
  • Tree BeeTree Bee Shipmate
    Greengrass is pushing up the daisies.

And of course I took him off my list this year. (Why did I do that?)
  • balaambalaam Shipmate
    Oh No, Selyn Froggitt has croaked. Bill Maynard RIP.
  • SipechSipech Shipmate
    Winnie Mandela has died, aged 81.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-43621112
    [Still trying to work out how to post links properly via mobile]
  • 19 points for Enoch. Well done.
  • lilbuddhalilbuddha Shipmate
    edited April 2018
    Boundary pusher Steven Bochco pushes his final boundary
  • EnochEnoch Shipmate
    The Rogue wrote: »
    19 points for Enoch. Well done.
    I think that takes me to 43! That's after 0 last year.

• Tree BeeTree Bee Shipmate
    I’m sorry to learn that Anita Shreve has died. I enjoyed her novels greatly.

Tried to add a link but it didn’t take,sorry.
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    Efraín Ríos Montt is also dead, having unfortunately attained the age of 91 years. I might have put him on my list, except for some reason I thought he was already dead.
  • Crœsos wrote: »
    Efraín Ríos Montt is also dead, having unfortunately attained the age of 91 years. I might have put him on my list, except for some reason I thought he was already dead.

A true devil.

But we also lost a saint: Johan van Hulst, who helped at least 600 Dutch babies and children escape the Nazis. (At 107, he won't be worth any points.)

I imagine the greeting he's getting in heaven from any of those children and their parents will be far different from the greeting Ríos Montt will be receiving.

Apparently Eric Bristow has died. At the very young age of 60.
  • SipechSipech Shipmate
    Eric Bristow has checked out at treble twenty.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/darts/43663426
  • And from the world of "real sport"* we have lost England footballer Ray Wilkins at just 61.

*Sorry, darts is not a sport.
    Alex Beckett has died suddenly. Only 35. Shocking.
  • I am SO mining Darts players next year.
  • stetsonstetson Shipmate
    Milos Forman. Probably a bit of a cliche to say that he specialized in the portrayal of rebellious individualists, though there was a certain nuance to that. I thought The People Vs. Larry Flynt and Man In The Moon were basically about the same character, eg. a narcissistic man who regards himself as hilarious, but ends up alienating those around him because no one else shares his sense of humour.

Coincidentally, I was just thinking of One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest today, and how the protagonists' interest in underaged girls would seem considerably more unacceptable to audiences if the film were made today, then it did in the mid-70s. That film(and I'll assume the novel) has a rather macho "beatnik" sensibility about it.

I didn't care much for Amadeus, so have put off watching Goya's Ghosts, figuring it would be much the same.
  • R Lee Ermey now reprising his role in The Frighteners, this time for good.
  • LydaLyda Shipmate
    David S. Buckel, a prominent LGBT attorney committed suicide by immolation to protest what is being done to the environment. Here is the tragic story.
  • David Icke likely in mourning as America’s king of crazy, Art Bell, hitches a ride off this world.
  • Why is there no beer in heaven?