Fucking Guns

1353637383941»

Comments

• Huia wrote: »
    All the earlier comments I had read from the Mosque survivors and the families of those killed were relieved, and some were celebrating. But the man from the Linwood Mosque who fought off the attack by throwing an eftpos machine at the gunman sad he would like a full trial so he can understand why the gunman attacked them.

Even if there was a full trial I don't know if he would get that.

From a safety perspective it's probably just as well that the killer won't get the opportunity to speak in the courtroom and say exactly why he did it. In the US we've unfortunately found that publishing the words or images of mass shooters can lead to copycats.

For a while our media published the manifestoes, courtroom ravings etc. of mass killers and white supremacists, but they found that repeating these to the public was radicalizing other people. It's like the thing where you're supposed to avoid printing lies, even to refute them, because the more times people see the lie the more it gets implanted in their brain.
  • Golden KeyGolden Key Shipmate
    Might be fewer *mass* shootings...but with families forced in together, or some people unable to get to the people they care about (unless they break the shut-down)...guns will probably come into use. And self-inflicted deaths, among people who are too stressed out to cope.
    (:votive:)
  • Simon ToadSimon Toad Shipmate
    Mass Shootings over the last couple of weeks:

24/3 4 injured, TX
    22/3 4 injured, SC

20/3 8 injured, 2 incidents VA, MI
    18/3 1 killed , 4 injured FL
    17/3 7 injured, MD
    15/3 12 killed, 2 injured, 2 incidents MI, NC

source

Only a shooting involving 7 people killed was DV related, a murder/suicide in NC on 15/3. That I found surprising.

• Amanda B ReckondwythAmanda B Reckondwyth 8th Day Host, Mystery Worship Editor
    And The National Rife Association has sued California for declaring that gun stores are non-essential businesses.

Yeah, those pesky seniors who think they have the right to get into grocery stores before we do need to be put in their Second Amendment place once and for all.
  • But, an arsenal of weapons that would equip the army of several small nations is going to protect you from infection. Nothing scares viruses like a several AR-15s with plenty of ammunition.
  • RooKRooK Admin Emeritus
    Do they also sell flame throwers at gun stores? Because those could be excellent disinfectant.
  • RuthRuth Admin Emeritus
    But, an arsenal of weapons that would equip the army of several small nations is going to protect you from infection. Nothing scares viruses like a several AR-15s with plenty of ammunition.

Perhaps I don't actually have to explain this, but some people are afraid that what passes for civil society in the US will collapse. It won't, because most people's responses in disasters are mostly positive, but dystopian fictions and disaster movies have given some the idea that unwashed hordes will break down their front door and steal their hoarded toilet paper.
  • Most of the time we need to apply sarcasm tags.

Though at this time I can see one benefit of an arsenal of automatic weapons. Carrying one when you need to go out might encourage everyone else to maintain a minimum of 2m distance, even the idiots who think they must be immune to covid-19 will presumably recognise that supposed immunity to a virus doesn't equate to immunity from several rounds from an automatic weapon.
  • DafydDafyd Shipmate
    even the idiots who think they must be immune to covid-19 will presumably recognise that supposed immunity to a virus doesn't equate to immunity from several rounds from an automatic weapon.
    Only if they haven't got guns themselves. Everyone knows that good guys with guns are invulnerable to bullets.
  • TwilightTwilight Shipmate
    edited May 16
    You know it's unprecedented times when we lose interest in the gun problem, soon we'll be saying, "9-11? Pfft we're losing that many per day."

But I still have enough gun outrage left for the this Ahmaud Arbery case.

Two Georgia crackers (and I feel comfortable using that slur) take it on their ignorant selves to chase after and shoot a black man for jogging through their neighborhood. They thought he might have been a burglar and were hoping to make a citizens arrest. I think "good guys" with guns are actually more dangerous than bad guys with guns because bad guys usually have reasons.

• RossweisseRossweisse Shipmate, 8th Day Host, Hell Host
    The paternal half of the murderous father-son duo seems to have been a major embarrassment waiting to happen, as was the second district attorney to (reluctantly, in his case) recuse himself. I hope there are serious repercussions for all of them.
  • DoublethinkDoublethink Shipmate
    edited May 17
    The guy seems to have had two heart attacks and been bankrupted by his healthcare costs. Which is not in anyway an excuse for his behaviour, but makes one wonder if his fear, anger and frustration have left him looking for scapegoats for a while.
  • Simon ToadSimon Toad Shipmate
    I think so Doublethink, and I also think that his culture directs him to find scapegoats in African Americans, among others.
  • MiliMili Shipmate
    I don't even know what to say about this new gun nut internet craze. Apparently pointing a gun at their most prized body part, with no safety and finger on the trigger proves manliness:
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/may/30/us-gun-owners-meme-feud
  • If they do that before they have children then Darwin wins again
  • Ethne AlbaEthne Alba Shipmate
    Easy selection for future husbands then?

Idiot.
    Nope
  • Mili wrote: »
    I don't even know what to say about this new gun nut internet craze. Apparently pointing a gun at their most prized body part, with no safety and finger on the trigger proves manliness:
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/may/30/us-gun-owners-meme-feud

The guy's cat in the article picture throws a fit and makes him jump. Or his phone goes off and gives him a start. Or some kid sees it on the web, does it to impress his friends, and stumbles.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    An earthquake could do the world a favour ensuring they don't propagate.
  • Golden KeyGolden Key Shipmate
    Well, if that's what they want to do to themselves, perhaps they should be introduced to the story of Origen. Or to a particular character in Bruce Lee's last production, "Circle Of Iron".

I hope, however, that they don't do that to themselves. I also hope there are no people or animals (or plants!) around while they're messing with the gun, 'cause unintended consequences.