Animal companions in our happy homes

Comments

• PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    {{{Aravis, your daughter and Mick}}}
  • There are several local vets around here as most people seem to have them in the semi-rural setting with big blocks of land. However I did see a van yesterday with a big sign. “Mobile vet.” Perhaps there may be one near you or you could ask about home visits? I am well out of touch here. Puppy was euthanised by a vet at home but that is very many years ago.
  • AnselminaAnselmina Shipmate
    Aravis, sorry to hear your sad news. It'll be hard for all of you, but must be so tough for your daughter who's known your cat all her life. It's awful when they have to leave us.
  • NicoleMRNicoleMR Shipmate
    So sorry about Mick, Aravis.
  • RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host, Glory
    Oh, {{{Aravis}}}. I am so sorry to hear about Mick. Prayers ascending for all of you.
  • DormouseDormouse Shipmate
    That is sad, Aravis. Prayers for you, your daughter and Mick. It's a sad time.
  • AravisAravis Shipmate
    Thanks for all the good wishes. Mick won’t eat or drink much, and won’t touch anything with medication in it, so he may not last that long. My daughter spent a long time last night combing him very gently, which he enjoyed.
    She’s back at uni next weekend and has two weeks of exams, so unfortunately it’s quite likely he will die during her exams and she won’t be there. For that reason I am slightly hoping he will deteriorate more quickly and die this week, but at the same time I don’t want to lose him yet!
  • FredegundFredegund Shipmate
    As long as he's happy, that's a good thing. And of course you can feed him anything, even if it's something you wouldn't normally do. Posh fish?
  • AravisAravis Shipmate
    He developed an intolerance to fish recently (no idea if it’s connected to the cancer). I discovered soup for cats at the supermarket yesterday - there’s one brand with generous shreds of chicken and no fish content, which he will agree to consume some of, and it might at least keep him hydrated as he won’t drink at the moment. He’s always drunk a lot so I assume water just tastes wrong now.
    Sorry - wasn't thinking, should have remembered. What's he like with cat milk? Mine adore it, though I balk at the price.
  • AravisAravis Shipmate
    I haven’t tried it - will look out for it. At the moment I’m just mixing in a teaspoon of water with each spoonful of food, as he is eating a very small amount from time to time. That seems to be keeping him going at the moment. I think he’ll fade away quite soon though.
  • BoogieBoogie Heaven Host
    (((Aravis and Mick)))

Happy Birthday Spencer!

One year old today. 🐶 🐶
  • PigwidgeonPigwidgeon Shipmate
    Happy Birthday, Spencer!

(Does that mean he'll be moving on to the Big School soon? :cry: )
    Many happy returns, Spencer! 🐾
  • AravisAravis Shipmate
    Mick had to be put to sleep earlier today; the tumour was a very aggressive one and for two days he hadn’t been able to eat, and was struggling to find a comfortable position to sleep.
    The vet came to the house and it was very peaceful. He died on his favourite cushion listening to the Goldberg Variations with all three of us stroking him.
  • PigwidgeonPigwidgeon Shipmate
    I'm SO sorry, Aravis.
    :cry:
    Me too. but I can't imagine a more peaceful way for Mick to leave.
  • NicoleMRNicoleMR Shipmate
    So sorry Aravis.
  • Prayers of comfort for your family Aravis. So glad you were able to provide a peaceful end for Mick.
  • AravisAravis Shipmate
    He was a complete Bach fanatic, to the extent that he would sometimes go and fetch one of us to listen if the other was playing Bach on the piano! He quite liked Chopin, wasn’t keen on Mozart, and if you tried playing something like Schoenberg he’d claw furniture till you stopped...
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    Mick must have been a very discerning cat!
    My condolences to you and your family, Aravis. :heartbreak:
  • So sorry to hear of Mick’s death. Bach? How lovely and a very discerning cat indeed.
    So sorry to hear about Mick. I'm sure there'll be Bach for him to listen to in Heaven - he might even get to meet the great man himself!

RIP, discerning pussycat.
  • That’s a lovely way to send him off. May you have many happy memories.
    I am so sorry, Aravis. I disagree with Mick on Mozart, but I do like the idea of moving while listening to Bach.
  • daisydaisydaisydaisy Shipmate
    So sorry Aravis, Mick sounds like he was quite a character and his last moments were perfect for him.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Aravis I am sorry for your loss, but what a discerning cat, Schoenberg has that effect on me too.
    After a worrying week-and-a-half Truffles is almost back to herself. I came back from holiday to find her struggling, possibly dehydrated due to refusing to use her cat flap to get to her water bowl & food that a good Moggy minder replenishes diligently. Fierce Cat next door has taken ownership of the back garden through which she has to go to get to her door (on a microchip lock) so she sticks pretty much to the front garden, relying on the front door being opened.
    Anyway, a urine sample & blood test showed she had cystitis (poor thing) but this is clearing thanks to twice-daily powders and it hasn’t affected her kidney function which is pretty good (phew). So I am working on a new strategy for her when (not if!) I go away which might involve a kind neighbour liaising with the Moggy minder. I’ve tried all sorts of ways to reclaim the back garden from Fierce Cat (including Valium-for-cats to make her braver) and realise this won’t happen until he is off the scene. There were times when the vet and I thought this might be the beginning of the end, but she’s doing fine now.
  • Gill HGill H Shipmate
    Though we will never forget our beloved Spikey, our household has now been joined by another kitty!

A friend from church was offered a council house but wasn’t allowed to take her cat. So we have offered a new home to Cookie! She is a tortie, almost two years old with beautiful amber eyes.

Currently she won’t come out from under the sofa (she only arrived last night). But we are hoping she ventures out soon.
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    daisydaisy, good to hear Truffles is doing well.

Gill H, Cookie sounds gorgeous!
    Hope Cookie has come out now and made friends.
  • BoogieBoogie Heaven Host
    Come on Cookie ‘chchchchchchch’.

:wink:
    Happy new pussycat, Gill! Wishing you and Cookie many happy years together.
    Get braver, Truffles!

Enjoy life with Cookie, @Gill H!

• HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Free to a loving home - One tabby kitten who has hidden the bath plug.

(Not really giving her away, but I was looking forward to a warm bath to cure my aches and pains).

Little ratbag.
  • Behind the toilet?
  • AravisAravis Shipmate
    That’s one reason why I’ve only ever had adult rescue cats!
    Gill H wrote: »
    .... we have offered a new home to Cookie! She is a tortie, almost two years old with beautiful amber eyes.
    Congratulations- so you have another naughty tortie, as my vet called Truffles a couple of years ago when she was being “difficult”. Apparently they are notorious for being strong willed, although Truffles is mostly very amenable.

She is getting bolder, although the Thug next door chased her back inside just now.

• Gill HGill H Shipmate
    Still under the sofa. We keep putting bowls of food under there and it is mostly being eaten.

Also trying lying on the floor where she can see me and doing the ‘slow blink’ at her.

It works for Jackson Galaxy!
    I thought it was just me and Torties! Our Burmese rescue, of blessed memory, ruled the house. I also have fond memories of a long haired tortie feral who refused to be tamed (about 6 wks when she came in, and her brothers were no trouble)
    I don't suppose Cookie could forget her dignity long enough to chase a toy of some kind? No, I thought not.
  • Gill HGill H Shipmate
    We've discovered she likes catnip. So our house has been joined by Henry Hedgehog, a toy hedgehog filled with catnip.

She did manage to poke her head out from under the sofa today, so that's progress.
    Speaking of tortitude, my Beatrice pulled of a surprising stunt this morning. Thanks to lymphodema, I have to wear compression socks, which I can't get on by myself; a dear neighbor, J, comes over on weekend mornings to help me out.

This morning, she took off her rings and put them on the coffee table so that she could put lotion on my legs and feet - and Beatrice grabbed one and ran with it down the hall. She then dropped it on my bed, where J was able to retrieve it. I suggested that, from now on, I should hold the rings, as this was the third time Beatrice had messed with them. (The first time, she knocked them to the floor; the second, she pushed them under a quilt.) I love this cat dearly, but...

Beatrice is quite a character - I love her!
    So do I! (She's currently lying on her back in my lap, paws in the air, purring.)
  • Gill HGill H Shipmate
    Beatrice sounds fun! I do those stockings for my mum when I'm with her, there is quite an art to doing it.

Cookie has demolished two sachets of Lick-e-lix (do you that in the US? It's kind of a yoghurt texture and apparently very addictive!) She's now giving Henry the Hedgehog a play session, still under the sofa. She is getting bolder, though, and having the occasional peek at the world outside the safety of the sofa.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    The bathplug now has a home inside the vanity. Aroha can't open the door... Yet,
  • Gill HGill H Shipmate
    Glad it's been found, Huia.

Progress on the Cookie front. She popped her head out to look at us last night, and strolled nonchalantly from under one sofa, across the small gap, to the space we've still allowed her under the other (we've now blocked off most of that one).

And this morning we found she had been slightly sick again, but this time outside on the floor, rather than under the sofa. Much easier to clean! (And yet again, so grateful for hard wood flooring!)

But the biggest surprise was that she had evidently come out during the night, found her way to the bathroom and used the litter tray.

I posted the Scrubs song "Everything Comes Down To Poo" on Facebook in celebration!
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Bad Aroha! Such a smart cunning little kitten.

Good Cookie! She is clearly exploring a little after dark when she has the house to herself.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Gil, it does indeed. When I first brought Aroha home she had the runs and I was so glad that I had established her (temporary) home in the bathroom. I have litterboxes there and in the porch because I read that you should provide one more litterbox than you have cats.
  • Gill HGill H Shipmate
    Woke up just now (in the middle of the night) to find Cookie on the windowsill watching me!