Animal companions in our happy homes

Comments

• RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host, Glory
    Huia wrote: »
    ... I read that you should provide one more litterbox than you have cats.
    That's what I have always read, and what I have always been told. I currently maintain two cats and three litterboxes. It seems to work.

• CathscatsCathscats Shipmate
    Gill H wrote: »
    Woke up just now (in the middle of the night) to find Cookie on the windowsill watching me!

That's much nicer than what happened to me last night. I was wakened at 3.30 by a tremendous crash. I thought someone had fallen out of bed, but no, all seemed wrapped in slumber. At 6 when I rose properly I heard a noise in the shoe cupboard, which for some reason sounded like a bird beating against the door. So I propped open the back door and hoped that it would find its way straight out - I really don't like birds in the house and the thought of them flying in my face. I opened the door and leaped back, and out strolled Domino, our highly intelligent, passive aggressive feline. Husband had inadvertently shut her in all night when she had decided to sleep on the box of gloves.... She wont make that mistake again (I hope).
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Gill H - that is good news.
  • daisydaisydaisydaisy Shipmate
    @Cathscats that reminds me of when I couldn’t work out the noise coming from my (closed) study door, and the greedy cat wasn’t turning up on schedule for dinner - after a while I put 2 and 2 together!

Truffles has gone back to scratching in corners and being tetchy, and refusing to use the cat flap. But she is a hungry as ever, so she’s sending me mixed messages. She still has another week left on her meds, then another trip to the v.e.t so maybe the meds haven’t fully worked yet. The house has a background feline odour - yuck - so I’ll be lighting some incense sticks.
  • Gill HGill H Shipmate
    Breakthrough today!

I have been working from home all week (partly because I am in the grip of a dreadful chest cold). I have been putting out ‘cat milk’ and dry food, which sometimes disappears but often not.

I heard a lapping sound and turned round to find Cookie enjoying the milk. Usually she would go back under the sofa, but this time she came to rub round my legs and then jumped up onto the windowsill! She stayed there for several hours, even accepting some stroking from me.

We are getting there!
  • daisydaisydaisydaisy Shipmate
    Oh bravo good courageous Cookie!
  • BoogieBoogie Heaven Host
    Wow @Gill H - you really are getting there!

:mrgreen:
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Well done, Cookie (and Gill - you must be doing something right)!
  • North East QuineNorth East Quine Purgatory Host
    I'm looking for some advice. We have been providing a holiday home for a cat who doesn't like catteries. She is a delightful, affectionate cat.

We've been asked if we would take her full time as her owners want to re-home her.

She is 10 and was in an accident a few years ago as a result of which she lost the end of her tail. There is an expectation she will become arthritic in her back legs and that she will go onto Metacam at some point.

Presumably we couldn't insure against vets bills as she has a pre existing condition.

What is involved in having a potentially arthritic cat?
  • FredegundFredegund Shipmate
    I'm not an expert, just a lifelong cat slave:
    Is the arthritis connected to the loss of tail? I ask because Feste, who lived to 21, lost half his, and Arthur, currently 14, is down to a stump (blame the farmland and barbed wire near us) and we never had this problem.
    I suspect you'll need to shop around. It may be possible to insure anyway, or just exclude the arthritis if it's likely. In my experience you'll probably find something, but premia tend to escalate after the magic age of 8.
    It also might be worth talking to your vet in case they have their own scheme. Ours doesn't do insurance, but if you pay a certain amount monthly it covers all vaccinations, plus quarterly worming and flea treatment. Saving of about £80 per cat - which is a lot of cat food when there's 4 of them.

Best of luck!
    Thanks, Fredegund. There is only one vet's practice in the nearest town, which has a branch office with restricted hours in our village. It is an excellent practice, so we wouldn't be shopping around for a vet. Any other vet would be logistically difficult.

I assume the potential arthritis is connected to the accident; I'll try to find out more about what happened.

If she has to go onto Metacam, what's involved with that?If she becomes arthritic are there likely to be other problems connected with this?
  • JennyAnnJennyAnn Shipmate Posts: 46
    Our previous moggy was a senior with no tail. She didn’t have arthritis, but did have kidney issues and thyroid issues so was on special food and often metacam. Metacam is easy to administer - goes on the food like a liquid.

We insured her before the thyroid and kidney issues came to light so I can’t comment on that issue.

I will say that although we loved her very very much, she really was an expensive cat, and medication need meant it tricky to have the freedom you usually get with cat slavery.

Jen
    One of our previous cats, Cleo, developed kidney issues when she was 16 and was on medication until she died aged 18. So we've had previous experience of expensive medication. Cleo's medicine was squirted into her mouth via a syringe and she was not co-operative! So it's reassuring that Metacam is easy to administer.

The cat we've been asked to take is a sweet cat, very affectionate, a pretty, dainty little Calico cat, but a new cat wasn't part of our plans, and we certainly don't need an extra expense.
  • AravisAravis Shipmate
    Some cats get an upset stomach from Metacam. Ours just had a dose every other day (squirted on his food and mixed in) which seemed to work as a compromise. We tried to encourage a small amount of activity in the evenings as the arthritis seemed to get worse if he didn’t move around much.
    There's some useful stuff online about managing the condition - diet, supplements, use of ramps, control of weight etc. I suspect I need to consider it for Arthur, although at present his mobility appears unimpaired, and he's always been a grumpy old man so it's difficult to tell whether he is in any discomfort.
    One last thought - if you do take her on, it might be wise to get someone in to feed when you go on holiday. Restricted mobility in a cattery wouldn't be fun in that condition.
    We already know that she doesn't cope with catteries; she loves lots of cuddles from people and doesn't like other cats. That's why she comes to stay with us when her owners are on holiday.

She likes to flatten herself against a person's chest, with one paw on either side of their neck, and bump her head against their chin. It is absolutely adorable when she's visiting, but long term having a cat who thinks that a person reading is a person who ought to be concentrating on petting her might be less delightful!
  • LothlorienLothlorien Glory
    edited June 2019
    The adult male Abyssinian here must be settling in. He was very nervous and flighty but has decided he belongs to eldest son. Follows him around, comes when son calls his name and snuggles in just like that to son. Still very cautious about the rest of us. Or perhaps he thinks son belongs to him.
  • I've met a couple of Abyssinian cats in my life - both really enchanting creatures. Such wonderful personalities.
  • JennyAnnJennyAnn Shipmate Posts: 46
    She likes to flatten herself against a person's chest, with one paw on either side of their neck, and bump her head against their chin.

That is gorgeous! Keep her!

Hear hear! You get used to reading round a cat's head. Betsy was just doing that to me, then decided to wash me. Cheese grater's aren't in it.
  • DormouseDormouse Shipmate
    One of our cats, Bib, loves the taste of salt. She has discovered that in this hot weather my face is an excellent source of salty sweat. Being woken up at 4.00 am, by a raspy little tongue licking one's forehead isn't my idea of a restful night's sleep. Sigh.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Fredegund wrote: »
    Hear hear! You get used to reading round a cat's head. Betsy was just doing that to me, then decided to wash me. Cheese grater's aren't in it.

You read when you should be paying attention to Betsy??? Is outrage!

Aroha has a much smaller head than the late Georgie-Porgy, which would make it a bit easier, but being a kitten she wriggles more, so it's still a challenge.
    Beatrice has discovered that she is very fond of the taste of contact solution. To keep her from disrupting the entire contact-lens-placement process, I now have to toss it into the further-away sink (that I do not use otherwise) in my bathroom. It keeps her from getting too involved with my attempts to insert said lenses.
  • Is it not strange who animals like the taste of and do not like the flavor of. Expensive canned dog food, ( it was a close out sale so I gave it a try) NO WAY, Cat poop in the grass yummy.
  • BoogieBoogie Heaven Host
    Spencer, Lab/GR Guide Dog puppy, is 14 months old now and really maturing. He’s a super boy, gentle and clever in equal measure. We’ve got him for a couple of more months before Big School - we’ll make the most of every day.

:mrgreen:
  • Spencer gets more handsome every day.
    :smile:
  • What a lovely smile, and such kind eyes...
    He's gorgeous! :heart:
  • Pangolin GuerrePangolin Guerre Shipmate
    edited July 2019
    I mentioned this on Ye Olde Shippe, but it bears repeating. For anyone who has a passion for dogs, the film Alpha is required viewing. Man and wolf make common cause in prehistory.

Coincidentally, a friend of mine and his service dog went to see it. The human quite loved it. The dog was more interested in my grocery bag.
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Lovely to see a more mature Spencer, Boogie!

PG, I can imagine the grocery bag would be of more interest.

We had an emergency dash to the vet yesterday when my little dog known as The Chub fell ill suddenly. The vet is operating this morning on a deep-seated growth found in her bladder. Not very hopeful prognosis, so feeling helpless and numb.
  • Prayers for you and The Chub ((MaryLouise))
    It is now 1.40. The vet's appointment is at 2.30. The journey takes 15 minutes...How long will it take to corral 2 cats into seperate baskets, bearing in mind one of them HATES the basket and will run and hide at the mere sight of it? Hmmm. Maybe I should start now.
  • Sending hugs and prayers to Marylouise and The Chub.
    :votive:
  • Dormouse wrote: »
    It is now 1.40. The vet's appointment is at 2.30. The journey takes 15 minutes...How long will it take to corral 2 cats into seperate baskets, bearing in mind one of them HATES the basket and will run and hide at the mere sight of it? Hmmm. Maybe I should start now.
    Good Luck, From experience I would have started at noon. LOL

• HuiaHuia Shipmate
    I found vet visits nerve wracking, especially when I had multiple cats and was trying to co-ordinate them with a taxi service. Not all the drivers would accept cats in cages, so the wait for the taxi just added to the strain. Now I have found a pet taxi service it is so much easier. Elsa is reliable and helpful, when we took Georgie-Porgy for her final vet visit earlier this year :heartbreak: Elsa gave me a bunch of wildflowers she had picked earlier that morning while walking the dogs. I put them on G-P's grave. :cry:
  • Dormouse - hope you got your cats to the vet okay. In the past I have had to cancel so many appointments with the vet because my wily cats went awol .

Huia - I'm sorry to hear that Georgie-Porgy is no longer with us .... I lost my last cat last year too. Totally understand the :heartbreak:
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    I think part of the reason I was so attached to G-P is that we went through the quakes together. After one small one she didn't even move and I was worried she had died. I went over and touched her, waking her up, She looked at me as if to say, "Get a grip woman, that wasn't even worth waking up for. Now if you don't mind I'm going back to sleep!" - tough love from the cat.

Also she was the only cat I've known that seemed to have a sense of humour and didn't stalk off if she was laughed at.
  • My prayers for the companions. I hold somewhat heretical views... sort of The Peaceable Kingdom.
  • Huia - she sounded wonderful, and I hope we will hear more about her in the future...some animal are ultra special.
    The Peaceable Kingdom, PG? Not sure I understand.

My small dog, the Chub, will be coming home in an hour or two and then we will wait for test results. She has settled in well at the vet, an enclosure with sheepskin beds and under-floor heating in the winter cold, has made some dog friends and an enemy or two, has eaten her meals and seems less groggy. I am just hoping for good news and bracing for bad, as one does.

I'm off to a prayer vigil on a fasting day, not looking forward to the draughty old church hall and hard kneeling. My partner will be petting and caring for the Chub while I'm away. Afterwards, I know I'll be glad I made the effort, but right now I'd rather have a sheepskin bed, under-floor heating and a chance to growl at the odd deacon to growl at!
  • Pangolin GuerrePangolin Guerre Shipmate
    edited July 2019
    The Peaceable Kingdom is a painting by an American artist, Edward Hicks, ca. 1820. A lion-and-the-lamb type of assemblage. I cannot imagine a friend of mine in the afterlife without his beloved service dog. Hence my heresy.
    <votive> @MaryLouise and The Chub

Here's the scoop on [url=Edward Hicks and [url="http://"]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Hicks[/url]"] and "The Peaceable Kingdon." (Okay, after ten! attempts to make this link work, I give up. Life is too short.)
    Some links can be a total pain - will this one do?

The Peaceable Kingdom

Piglet, AS host
  • LothlorienLothlorien Glory
    edited July 2019
    Thanks Piglet. Came over here to see if I could fix it and you beat me to it.

Rossweisse, you had both both http andhttps at the beginning of the link. You need to delete the http which comes up in the little box.

[URL=https:// and the link itself]name of site[/URL]

Ross’ post. This link has URL of your post and my addition of Ross’ post for title, set out as I have detailed. Square brackets and no inverted commas.
    Ah, I see, I share your peaceable heresy, PG. Many thanks for the link, Rossweisse and Piglet.

My little Chub is back at home, no growths found but there may be kidney problems. She is delighted to be back and has commandeered the sofa.
  • NicoleMRNicoleMR Shipmate
    Good news re: the Chub.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Good for The Chub. It's amazing how small animals can spread themselves out to take up space out of all proportion to their body size.
    Lothlorien wrote: »
    ...Rossweisse, you had both both http andhttps at the beginning of the link. You need to delete the http which comes up in the little box. ...
    Thanks, Loth. (I was trying to do that at the end of a long, long day.)
  • Easy to overlook repetitions like that and there had been trouble with the link working anyhow.
    Dormouse wrote: »
    Good Luck, From experience I would have started at noon. LOL

Amazingly I had no problems!!!
    I'd got the two carriers in the kitchen, and Bib came trotting in to see what I was up to. So I grabbed her and pushed her into one carrier before she realised what I was up to!
    Then I upended the 2nd carrier, opening at the top. I snipped the merat-cutting scissors very loudly, and Millie came running to see what delicious scraps there would be. I grabbed her scruff, she went limp, I "fed" her into the carrier, and shut the lid before she could leap out. Job's a guddun.
    I did have a very loud and incessant chorus all the way there and back telling me what a mean trick I'd played on them, but that's par for the course!