Birthdays and other anniversaries and significant dates

1234568»

Comments

• PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    May the victims all rest in peace and rise in glory.
  • Amen.
  • RossweisseRossweisse Shipmate, Hell Host
    I will never forget that awful day. May they rest in peace and rise in glory.
  • edited September 12
    The 2001 Sept 11 is close to home and worthy. 11 September is the 46th anniversary of the American backed coup d'etat against Chile and the democratically elected government and the start of the murderous Pinochet regime (1973). He killed 3 to 4000. Jailed 80,000. Tortured 10s of thousands. With American help to kill and training of his people to torture. It's only one of the many things we don't commemorate.

The 1973 coup in Chile is the start of decades of much worse. Also needs remembrance. I think sometimes of the fin de siècle (end of era) the 2001 attacks represent in the global north, and the blood bath that the global south had suffered and we've ignored. Their era of suffering just trundles along.

I think the 2001 attacks brought us into understanding of only briefly with the suffering of others. Important because it was close to us or in our neighbourhood. But in the scheme of things, just another day on earth. So if you pray and remember don't forget all of the human family. And that peace is not something we deserve but something we must actually want. I am pessimistic about that. A sad sad day.
  • My Grandmother would have been 135 today :grin:
  • I know some on the Ship will appreciate this: Happy International Translation Day!

I deeply respect those who provide translation services. It is a difficult job and the good ones are worth their weight in gold.

I would not have known about it, but for this interesting article from DW.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    I'm a bit late in thinking of it, but happy Thanksgiving to all the Canadian shippies - hope you haven't over-indulged in the turkey ... :smiley:
  • RossweisseRossweisse Shipmate, Hell Host
    ...or given in to the soporific effects of the tryptophan!