Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Birthdays and other anniversaries and significant dates

Comments

• PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    May the victims all rest in peace and rise in glory.
  • Amen.
  • RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host, Glory
    I will never forget that awful day. May they rest in peace and rise in glory.
  • edited September 2019
    The 2001 Sept 11 is close to home and worthy. 11 September is the 46th anniversary of the American backed coup d'etat against Chile and the democratically elected government and the start of the murderous Pinochet regime (1973). He killed 3 to 4000. Jailed 80,000. Tortured 10s of thousands. With American help to kill and training of his people to torture. It's only one of the many things we don't commemorate.

The 1973 coup in Chile is the start of decades of much worse. Also needs remembrance. I think sometimes of the fin de siècle (end of era) the 2001 attacks represent in the global north, and the blood bath that the global south had suffered and we've ignored. Their era of suffering just trundles along.

I think the 2001 attacks brought us into understanding of only briefly with the suffering of others. Important because it was close to us or in our neighbourhood. But in the scheme of things, just another day on earth. So if you pray and remember don't forget all of the human family. And that peace is not something we deserve but something we must actually want. I am pessimistic about that. A sad sad day.
  • My Grandmother would have been 135 today :grin:
  • I know some on the Ship will appreciate this: Happy International Translation Day!

I deeply respect those who provide translation services. It is a difficult job and the good ones are worth their weight in gold.

I would not have known about it, but for this interesting article from DW.
    I'm a bit late in thinking of it, but happy Thanksgiving to all the Canadian shippies - hope you haven't over-indulged in the turkey ... :smiley:
    ...or given in to the soporific effects of the tryptophan!
  • On this day, Mr. S and I have been married for 45 years! Woohoo! We are celebrating with friends who share the day and have managed 34 years together :heart:
  • Congratulations to all!
  • Congrats to the Ss!
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    Congratulations and happy anniversary!
  • Congratulations Mr and Mrs S! Mr Bee and I will celebrate 43 years of marriage next week so we’re close behind you.
    Congratulations, one and all! :)
    Happy anniversaries to Mr. and Mrs. S and the Tree Bees!
  • Congratulations!
  • Happy Halloween everyone!
    Same to you! :)

I don't expect I'll get many guisers (which is just as well, as I haven't got any sweeties - I'm going to be out at choir practice this evening and kind of forgot). It's been raining most of the day, and not offering to stop, so I wouldn't blame anyone for not going out.
  • Today we celebrate 10 years of feline company in our house as it's the anniversary of adopting Maisy and Monty, originally obtained partly as we needed a mouse deterrent in our then house. Thankfully 4 houses later they can just lounge on the bed in the sun.
  • A good reason to celebrate, Pendragon.
    Four houses in 10 years - crikey!

Happy birthday, Maisy and Monty!
  • For some reason, the feast day of St Ercus, 2nd November, does not seem to be as widely celebrated as I feel it ought to be, perhaps because he doesn't seem to have done anything particularly memorable. But perhaps I'll take a small dram of a good single malt to remember him by.
  • Enjoy the remembrance!
  • 5 houses in all: the current one is the first house we've ever actually owned, and we've been here almost 2 years.
    Maisy and Monty sound like Admirable Felines. Bless them!
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Pendragon wrote: »
    Today we celebrate 10 years of feline company in our house as it's the anniversary of adopting Maisy and Monty, originally obtained partly as we needed a mouse deterrent in our then house. Thankfully 4 houses later they can just lounge on the bed in the sun.

At their ages now they are probably grateful to do the lounging around.
  • Huia wrote: »
    Pendragon wrote: »
    Today we celebrate 10 years of feline company in our house as it's the anniversary of adopting Maisy and Monty, originally obtained partly as we needed a mouse deterrent in our then house. Thankfully 4 houses later they can just lounge on the bed in the sun.

At their ages now they are probably grateful to do the lounging around.

Monty is 10 1/2, Maisy (his long-suffering mother) was deemed by the vet to be 2ish when she was found with a few days old litter.
  • Today is the 72nd wedding anniversary for HM The Queen and Prince Philip: she is in London carrying out official duties and he is at Sandringham with a cold.

So not an ideal day for the monarch even before the announcement that her second son is retiring from all public duties "for the forseeable future ".
    72 years - good for them! :)
    Bless their blue-blooded hearts.
  • Its St Cecilia's Day today :heart:

On a more sombre note, its the 56th anniversary of the assassination of John F Kennedy and the death of Aldous Huxley and CS Lewis.

edited November 2019
    Quite a big day then!

And indeed, happy St. Cecilia's Day to all my musician friends! 🎵🎶🎼🎹
  • Takes me back to the day when my politically aware friends were distraught about JFK and I was only interested in C.S.Lewis.
  • Piglet wrote: »
    And indeed, happy St. Cecilia's Day to all my musician friends! 🎵🎶🎼🎹
    I have a hankering to listen to Britten's Hymn to St. Cecilia, I think. (Today would also be his 109th birthday.)

• Many years ago when I was at Sydney uni, the tutor in English was Germaine Greer. She was horrified I was the only one who knew about St Cecelia.
  • Today was the new holiday of Wolfenoot, a holiday made up by a seven year old boy to celebrate dogs and wolves and the people who love them. (Google it for more info)
    I just did - what a lovely idea! :)
    D. should have turned 64 today.

Happy birthday in Heaven! :heartbreak:
    (((Piglet)))
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    (Piglet)
  • (Piglet)
    Today my Giraffe turns 18. Wish I could have all these years with him again! But now, no more being chucked out of pubs. He is the youngest of his bunch of friends and this year has seen a lot of moral dilemmas regarding false IDs, trying to get away with it, hoping his friends will not plan things he can't do and - latterly - being the designated driver!
    Happy birthday to the Giraffe!
    Happy birthday, Cathsgiraffe! :)
  • And I turned 64 the other day - spent it feeling lousy with streaming nose and eyes, hacking cough, wheezy chest and general feeling of malaise - so celebrated with far too much Talisker™.
    Many happy returns, @TheOrganist - hope the Talisker works and you feel better soon! :smile:
    Happy birthday to the Giraffe and to @TheOrganist!
  • I turned 73 today. Let all ye youngins bow down and say, "Okay boomer!"
    Happy, happy to @TheOrganist!

@Twilight -- you rock, Boomer!
    Happy birthday, Twilight! :)
  • Happy Birthday, Twilight!!