Today I Consign To Hell -the All Saints version

Comments

• KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    edited March 2018
    Jerry-rigged networking crap thrown together ad-hoc with no planning, consistency or documentation. Techies who when something doesn't work how it's meant to, work round the problem and whine that things don't work but don't tell me so that I can actually fix it. Customers who don't grasp that software has a lifecycle. Service desks who tell me the user "can't do x" but haven't asked what happens when they try and eventually say they get an error without recording what the error message actually was. And any supposed techie who closes error messages without reading them. Idiots generally.
  • JacobsenJacobsen Shipmate
    Landlubber wrote: »
    Hoarding relatives. (No, I mean relatives who hoard things, not people who collect relatives.) I've opened a dozen boxes and not one of the labels matched the contents. None of the contents were useful. Some might have been of sentimental value to someone, if only I knew what they were or where they came from.

Other people's lives. These remnants tell us just how little we know. I have so much stuff which is "family" to me. When I shuffle off this mortal coil, it will end up in charity shops or landfill. Maybe one or two things will be taken as mementoes.
  • Penny SPenny S Shipmate
    The customer service person I have just been on the phone to about the non-arrival of paperwork in my email, to whom I spelled out my email address using the NATO alphabet, but who still sent to Mike instead of November, saying, yes, that is the address we have. With Mike. And it still hasn't arrived with November, so something else has gone wrong as well. Poor lass has a cold, so it took a bit of time to work out she was insisting on Mike, repeating it as I repeated, very clearly, that it wasn't, and told her which famous site had the right spelling. I'm going to have to call again or be forced to pay the engineer.
  • TwilightTwilight Shipmate
    TICTH Mother Effin' Nature. Yes, I know she has her excuses reasons, but she's breaking my heart, today. The Hanover eagle cam that I've been following for about five years (a shippie told us about them) has had a major upset.

Our sweet Eagle couple Liberty and her devoted mate Freedom worked hard to rebuild their storm damaged nest, and then had two nice eggs that are only about a week from hatching. Yesterday a female HOMEWRECKER decided she wanted the nes,t the eggs, and Freedom (he is handsome) for herself. So she beat up Liberty so bad she hasn't been seen in about 12 hours, possibly deceased.

The eggs were uncovered so long they are probably not viable anymore but Homewrecker is sitting on them and Freedom can be heard crying plaintively from a branch nearby. It's heartbreaking.

Here's a great video of the couple last year with Freedom knocking himself out to please his lady, Liberty. Deliveries.
  • TICTH the Fundies who have created a facebook page on which they gleefully and gloatingly describe in sickening detail the eternal torment which Stephen Hawking must now be suffering because he didn't believe in God/ accept Jesus. I couldn't put it on the Stephen Hawking thread, could I, but I had to howl somewhere with disgust. In another century they would have stood around jeering when someone was burned at the stake. And it doesn't really help to imagine them arriving in Heaven, being bathed in the overwhelming love of God and being greeted by a cheerful Hawking.

Sad.

GG
  • TICTH the Fundies who have created a facebook page on which they gleefully and gloatingly describe in sickening detail the eternal torment which Stephen Hawking must now be suffering because he didn't believe in God/ accept Jesus. I couldn't put it on the Stephen Hawking thread, could I, but I had to howl somewhere with disgust. In another century they would have stood around jeering when someone was burned at the stake. And it doesn't really help to imagine them arriving in Heaven, being bathed in the overwhelming love of God and being greeted by a cheerful Hawking.

Sad.

GG

That doesn't belong in all saints, that's the hell, hell

• What makes you think such sickoes might even themselves arrive in Heaven? (Unless you're a universalist, of course).

But yes, very sad indeed. I reckon Professor Hawking is presently enjoying a long, and very erudite, conversation with God......
    :smile:

IJ
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    ... I reckon Professor Hawking is presently enjoying a long, and very erudite, conversation with God......
    ... and Newton, Galileo and the rest.

I was pleased to read today that his ashes will be placed beside Newton's and Darwin's tombs in Westminster Abbey.
    What makes you think such sickoes might even themselves arrive in Heaven? (Unless you're a universalist, of course).
    IJ
    That is the real difficulty about being a universalist, isn't it?

• Well, it could be, except that Our Lord did say that there are many rooms in His Father's house. I take this to mean that there is room for all - even the sickoes, fruitloops, and wingnuts - but not necessarily that one has to have anything to do with them next door....
    :wink:

Meanwhile, TICTH the wretched rheumaticky pains in my legs, preventing me from going about the parish doing Good Works....
    :confounded:

IJ
    Votive re. pains
  • Mr SmiffMr Smiff Shipmate
    Eczema, especially on your face where you’ve got to be careful what you put on it.
  • MooMoo Kerygmania Host
    People who stand in store aisles talking on their phones and blocking everyone who wants to walk down that aisle.
  • TICTH Ground Elder. I believe it was the Romans who introduced it to Britain because they ate it, but I can do without the Romans if they did! All those long evil roots, with lots of little fibrous roots attached, which, if I leave any in the ground will pop up cheerfully later in the year and start weaving their own long evil roots.........
    And came in from my neighbour and reached from raised bed to raised bed.
  • Something you've done for 5 or even 15 years is not "traditional" and "traditionally" does not refer to your life's habit since century's turn. And it's not "arguably" a reasonable use of the word.

Pipelines do not take "dilbit" (diluted bitumen) to "tide water". They take watered down tar sands sludge to tanker ships. It isn't an "oil patch". The stuff doesn't grow. And it isn't part of a climate change plan to shop it from Canada so China can burn it or make plastics from it. :madness:
    TICTH Canadian Air Miles. We have a few thousand, which we thought could be used for useful things like buying petrol and groceries, but apparently they are "Dream" miles, and can only be used for things like holidays in places we don't want to go or theme-parks we don't want to visit. When we tried to change them to ordinary, useful miles, they said no, already-earned miles can't be converted, so we've now got a few thousand air-miles that are about as much use as a chocolate teapot. :rage:
  • Living with a BPD partner cleverer than me.
  • Mr SmiffMr Smiff Shipmate
    Good Morning Sunday on BBC Radio 2, which has become, with its “brand new look”, a horrible, self-indulgent mess of a programme which seems to be primarily about its presenters (Jason Mohammed and Rev Kate Bottley) than about much in the way of thoughtful, if light, religious content.
  • JacobsenJacobsen Shipmate
    The Windows 10 update which refuses to install.
  • Sunburn in March (in the UK - 20 minutes outside on Friday which was sunny) - I don't think I'm going to enjoy summer this year.
  • NicoleMRNicoleMR Shipmate
    edited March 2018
    My apartment building door opens not with a key but with an electronic key fob device. Mine is not opening the front door any more, or at least it didn't last night. (thankfully someone was standing around the courtyard who was able to let me in) I called the after hours emergency number and they are being friendly and polite but spectacularly unhelpful. Until they get this fixed I'm effectively trapped in my apartment because I can't be sure of getting in again if I leave!
  • RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host, Glory
    Apple and its combination of planned obsolescence and lousy customer service. My local Apple store (don't go unless you have several hours to waste) has started sending calls directly into Apple Support. You can't talk to a human being without a 20-minute wait - and then they can't make an appointment for you. (At least we were able to get my phone started again.; it's a good thing I still have a landline.)

• Bl**dy British 'Summer' Time. I lost an hour's sleep (I sometimes get precious little, anyway), and some of our congo were missing on account of having forgotten to put the clock forward...

IJ
    There's always someone, isn't there?

@NicoleMR, you have my sympathy. When we were renting a flat while waiting for our house to be sold, we got one set of keys from the agents and had another set cut. Unfortunately, the key to the outside door that I got never worked. The outside door wasn't always locked, and I was rarely out without D. (he's the driver), but there was the odd occasion when I had to wait in the porch until someone came past with a key.

We discovered just before we moved out that my key actually didn't look anything like D's one, so presumably there had been a cock-up at the locksmith's.
  • Eye ointment that comes with what appears to be type size .02 printed instructions. Thankfully the doctor gave me verbal instructions on how to use the stuff.
    You'd think for eye ointment they might manage big print, wouldn't you?
  • Thomasina wrote: »
    ... Ground Elder. I believe it was the Romans who introduced it to Britain because they ate it <snip>

You can eat the stuff? I never knew. Well, that sorts out greens and salads for me and the lads for the next couple of months.
  • There are other odd green things you can eat, such as dandelion leaves. They're quite good for spicing up an otherwise bland green salad, as they have a distinctive (shall we say) taste...

IJ
    Quite good diuretics, as well, I gather.
  • Yes....er....would you excuse me for a moment??

IJ
  • MyrtusMyrtus Shipmate Posts: 4
    edited March 2018
    The East Yorkshire council operative who thought it would be totally OK to drive at me, whilst I was legally walking along the correct side of a minor road, thus clipping my rucksack and scaring the living sh*t out of me. Nothing says 'Welcome!' quite like a truck coming directly at you.
  • MyrtusMyrtus Shipmate Posts: 4
    Fredegund wrote: »
    Open plan offices. Can't hear myself think here.

The. Worst. Working. Environment. Also, never the right temperature.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Penny S wrote: »
    Quite good diuretics, as well, I gather.
    (referring to dandelions) -- so is parsley. My doctor suggests to elderly people that they mays prefer it to medication that she could prescribe because it's kinder.

Oops, parsley sauce tonight in the fish pie. OTOH, she has run out of diuretic tablets, so maybe not a problem.
  • Myrtus wrote: »
    Fredegund wrote: »
    Open plan offices. Can't hear myself think here.

The. Worst. Working. Environment. Also, never the right temperature.

Especially with A/C, for then rooms manage to be too hot and too cold at the same time.
  • How can that be? Isn't it against all the laws of physics?
    :grey_question:

IJ
    I think sometimes air-con can be a bit fierce, and if it's very directional it can be very cold if you're in the firing-line, but uncomfortably hot if you're not.

The converse can be true as well; I used to have a colleague who was always cold, and she kept a little fan-heater under her desk. She was adamant that only she could feel its heat, but I would get an unpleasantly hot blast of air every time I walked past.
  • Hell is an open plan office. Other people, unfiltered, unbuffered. Who knew that Satan was a designer of workplaces?
  • ClimacusClimacus Shipmate
    I work in an environmentally-friendly building (water cycles keep temperature, automatic louvres, drop toilets...) and they retrofitted a/c as the building was designed for Europe not Australia. :bangs head:

The a/c is either at jet engine thrust maximum chill on cold days or in hibernation mode on warm days. I was sweating at my desk the other day.
  • SmudgieSmudgie Shipmate
    TICTH getting older (though it's considerably preferable to the alternative, I guess). I can't read without my glasses but can't remember where I put them; I am doing a decluttering/room clearing job today that a few years ago I'd have done in a couple of hours but today is taking me for ever, with frequent stops because my stamina has run out, my get up and go has got up and gone, and my body just complains perpetually; I have even had to change my job because my body isn't healing from injuries like it used to. And the weight I've gained during the enforced idleness after an injury just will not shift because of hormones and the like. AGGGGGGGGHHHH!
  • RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host, Glory
    TICTH people who drive through a blinding rainstorm without bothering to turn on their lights. If they don't care about being visible, how about the fact that (hereabouts, anyway), the law says that you must turn on headlights when the windshield wipers are on?

• PantsPants Shipmate
    My next door neighbours who are the nosiest people I know. Every single member of the household including the dogs.
    I suppose dogs are permitted to be a bit nosy; their humans, maybe not so much!
  • I read that post last night, automatically reading noisiest. Having seen Piglet’s reply this morning I think people being noisy or nosy both fit in this thread.
  • Yes, I read noisiest too! As you say, both can apply...
    :angry:

IJ
    I confess I had to look at it twice! :smiley:
  • North East QuineNorth East Quine Purgatory Host
    My Beloved Goddaughter has taken to make up in a big way. I prefer the natural look myself, but it is one thing which is boosting her low self-esteem. Her mother, reasonably, is concerned about her looking older than she is (she's 15). So her mother has posted a photo of her on Facebook, with a comment about her looking orange and a "ha ha" emoji. I cannot begin to imagine what possesses a parent to do this. I am *this* close to losing it with her mother. (I'm fully supportive of her mother doing the "you are not going out looking like that" routine in the privacy of their own home, but trying to parent by public embarrassment on Facebook?) (In fairness, her mother's health is poor, and she is finding teenage stroppiness hard to cope with. I'm not saying I would do any better overall had I been a single parent with health issues, but I like to think I wouldn't have made fun of a child on FB)
  • PantsPants Shipmate
    I'm glad you all read it as noisiest... cos that's what I meant! Lol
  • AnotherdayAnotherday Shipmate Posts: 34
    FragileX syndrome I love my family but it affects my father myself and my daughter in three different ways.