Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Today I Consign To Hell -the All Saints version

Comments

• Penny SPenny S Shipmate
    Whichever hymnbook my guest grew up with which had in it the hymn she wants at her funeral "May the beauty of Jesus be seen in me". Don't look it up on a source which has the music if you don't know it, it has become an earworm which I could very much do without
  • MMM wrote: »
    Leorning Cniht, why would I expect to have to stand still when the traffic lights were at red and I was crossing on a green pedestrian light?

The conversation had moved on to the topic of cyclists announcing their intention to pass pedestrians on shared-use facilities. With regard to your red-light-runner, I'm happy to strap him in the stocks so you can throw rotten vegetables at him.
  • SnowgooseSnowgoose Shipmate Posts: 23
    TICTH the Bank of America, and all who sail in her. When we sold our house in February we were required to put some of the proceeds in escrow for what we were assured was a very short time, because the Bank had not yet had a piece of paperwork recorded at the county courthouse. Since then they have assured us multiple times that the required information has been "sent out," but they keep changing the date upon which the sending allegedly occurred. The customer service people apparently are not allowed to talk directly to the mortgage people so nobody knows anything and we keep getting different stories. The last time we called they said, in effect, "Well, we legally have 90 days to record it, so you'll just have to wait till then." At least they are no longer pretending that they are remotely interested in being helpful.
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited April 2018
    The ignorant gits who vandalise our church car park's shiny new lockable posts (installed so that access is restricted to legitimate Church, Church Hall/pre-school Nursery, and Scout HQ users).

Do they really think that, if they knock the posts down, and park in the space released, we won't know who's responsible? We know the identity and registration of their cars, and which, out of just two or three houses, they live in.

How sad, that the only thing they seem to be concerned about is parking their little tin boxes on private land, to the detriment of those concerned more with serving the many deprived families of our 'community'.

May the wheels of their little tin boxes fall off, whilst they are moving slowly away from traffic lights, and therefore in little danger of nothing more than holding everyone else up, and exposing themselves to opprobrious epithets by so doing.

IJ
  • RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host, Glory
    Can you have them ticketed and towed, IJ? That is outrageous - and illegal.
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited April 2018
    No, because they're not on the public street, but the Police advised me (rather obliquely), that if a vehicle was apparently 'abandoned' on our private land, and was 'minus its fuel filler cap', it was a potential fire hazard, and could then be conveniently removed immediately....

Let the Reader understand....

Mwahahahahahaha......
    :grimace:

IJ
  • So the episcopal palace will shortly be having an artistic array of fuel caps on its walls?
  • You may think that. I couldn't possibly comment.
    :wink:

IJ
  • MooMoo Kerygmania Host
    Where I live, many private parking lots have signs saying that unauthorized vehicles will be towed at the owner's expense. The signs give the phone number of the towing company so people know how to get their cars back.

I live in Virginia now, but when I lived in New Hampshire, many private parking lots had the same signs.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    As I recall, the car park at the cathedral in St. John's had notices to that effect, citing a $50 charge; I can't remember if it was administered by the local police, the city council or a private company, but for the most part it worked.
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    Thanks for all the ideas regarding my parents! Definitely some excellent things to think about and try!
    TICTH cold callers. Especially when you answer the phone, then after a long silence a voice says, "Please don't hang up - one of our operators will answer your call shortly".

I DIDN'T BL**DY CALL YOU - YOU CALLED ME!!! :rage:
    I never answer the phone if I don't recognize the number - if it's important, I believe, they will leave a message - but a while ago the computerized spammer-scammers starting staying on the line just long enough to register as a voice mail. May they rot in bloody flaming fury for all of eternity.

• Golden KeyGolden Key Shipmate, Glory
    I have both a landline and a cell. For a landline call, I let it roll over to call screening on my answering machine. That filters out most unwanted calls. Then I can either pick up (if I recognize the person), or let them continue to leave a message. I rarely get spam calls there, though I do get some hang-up, silent calls.

I don't use my cell much. However, I've gotten a lot of spam there for some time. I recently confirmed I was listed at donotcall.gov. I'm going to have to start reporting spam numbers there.

NOTE: It's a good idea to tell people to leave you a detailed message, so you don't have to play phone tag. Especially doctors' offices, because they have to deal with privacy concerns. If they know I need a detailed message, they do it.
  • Difficulties with BT Broadband, which is playing up at present, and sometimes refuses to connect, or suddenly disconnects, thereby upsetting my Arrangements, and my Equilibrium.

IJ
  • NicoleMRNicoleMR Shipmate
    The three really bad, obnoxious kids that came into my STEM program today and disrupted things, were foul and dirty-mouthed, and insulting.
  • LeoLeo Shipmate
    Hotmail – changed yet again and now impossible to send out emails to groups.
  • LeoLeo Shipmate
    Despite new timetables due to operate on Sunday, there were no hard copies available at the bus station on Thursday and none on the website under ‘forthcoming' today (Saturday).
  • The constant February-in-April weather. Bleh. We want spring back.
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    Leo wrote: »

It still exists? I thought it was only used by tradesmen as a sort of flag saying "under no circumstances employ me to do a job unless you want to contribute to an edition of Rogue Traders on the telly."
  • DormouseDormouse Shipmate
    TICTH the side effects of my recent chemo...I know that this is getting rid of the cancer, so it is, in the end, A Good Thing, but the constant pain in my legs is getting a bit much. It feels like a mix between very tired musles, someone poking at bad bruises, being jabbed with needles and being tapped now and then with a small toffee hammer. It's making me a bit of a grumpy cow.
  • I get pains like that, alas, but at least they're not the side effects of chemo. Cause at present unknown - maybe side effects of meds, maybe rheumatism setting in, maybe just general senile decay - appointment with GP later this week.

Meanwhile, I, too, am being grumpy.

IJ
  • TICTH the effects of a very bad cold. I am going back to bed after spending two days there already. Bleurghhh.
  • JacobsenJacobsen Shipmate
    {{{votive}}} to Dormouse, BF and LC for all the pains, whether of "helpful" therapies or bloody old-incipient-age. Ginger was right - it ain't for sissies.
  • TICTH the bl**dy weather (again!). A bitter northerly gale, and almost incessant rain for hours and hours - where's global warming when you want it?

O, I know - it's an invention of those dastardly Chinese, bent on world domination or something.
    :rage:

IJ
  • ...where's global warming when you want it?
    We're hoarding it all here in Arizona. We've had less than an inch of rain so far in 2018, and we're breaking temperature records. We broke 100F (38C) a few weeks ago.

• :open_mouth:

Is there some way you could share it out a bit? It's still very cold and horrid here in SE Ukland, where really we ought to have mild (if showery) weather at this time of year.

O well, the SOUP helped. PIE and MASH for tea, followed by a Good Book (one of Peter James' well-written UK murder mysteries).

IJ
    I think weather-sharing sounds like an excellent plan.

At the moment, our river is overflowing, because of a combination of heavy rain and melting snow coming from further north. Now, I know we need some rain (and the melting snow has to go somewhere), but if we could just divert some of it down to Pigwidgeonsville, everyone would be much happier.
  • LeoLeo Shipmate
    KarlLB wrote: »
    Leo wrote: »

It still exists? I thought it was only used by tradesmen as a sort of flag saying "under no circumstances employ me to do a job unless you want to contribute to an edition of Rogue Traders on the telly."

Yes but under a different name - I inherited an account when I took over leadership of someone else's group.
  • Piglet wrote: »
    I think weather-sharing sounds like an excellent plan.

At the moment, our river is overflowing, because of a combination of heavy rain and melting snow coming from further north. Now, I know we need some rain (and the melting snow has to go somewhere), but if we could just divert some of it down to Pigwidgeonsville, everyone would be much happier.

Pigwidgeonsville would welcome it!

• Well, it seems that our Exclusive Weather-Sharing Plan may be working, inasmuch as some of Pigwidgeonsville's excessive heat has been neatly transferred to south-east Ukland, giving us a balmy spring day.

Fluffy clouds, light breezes, sunshine, and a comfortable temperature of about 15C (IOW, Proper Weather For This Time Of Year).

Some light ra*n (aka spring showers) is forecast for tomorrow, this presumably by courtesy of Pigletland....

:smiley:

IJ
    ... Some light ra*n (aka spring showers) is forecast for tomorrow, this presumably by courtesy of Pigletland....
    Sorry about that. :wink:
    Dormouse wrote: »
    TICTH the side effects of my recent chemo...It's making me a bit of a grumpy cow.

You are entitled to be as grumpy as you like. You're being poisoned, after all - in a good cause, but that doesn't make it any easier. Hang in there!

• Tradies who promise several times to be here very early in the morning but arrive three hours later.
    District nurses whose day starts at 9 and then, on one occasion, turn up at 8.45, thus meaning I have to get up at 8.30, but actually turn up nearer lunchtime. I need my lie-in.
  • Hmm.....I think peeps like District Nurses, one-to-one carers etc., need to be cut a bit of slack sometimes, given their often impossible workloads, and occasionally difficult patients (I hate the term 'clients').

IJ

edited May 2018
    I do cut slack - and they have a very difficult patient here, but so do I, and they are currently on every day. I keep going to sleep at odd times. I'm exhausted. And I agree about clients.
  • Lothlorien wrote: »
    Tradies who promise several times to be here very early in the morning but arrive three hours later.
    How lucky you are, around here they simply never show up. I had one such man call six months later to inquire if I still wanted my porch painted?

• Penny S wrote: »
    District nurses whose day starts at 9 and then, on one occasion, turn up at 8.45, thus meaning I have to get up at 8.30, but actually turn up nearer lunchtime. I need my lie-in.

This is the same problem as parcel deliveries, appliance repair people, and so on.

Basically anyone who calls at your home seems to say "We'll be there in the morning. Our hours are between X and Y" or something.

This cannot possibly be all the information that they possess. They must be able to know earlier than when they set off in the morning which direction they're going to go around their route, and so what order you fall on their list. And so they know that if they're seeing a dozen different people and you're number 10 on their list, they won't be on your doorstep first thing in the morning.

Although my chief ire on this front is aimed at the parcel delivery services, who all have computer-generated route maps that can predict almost to the minute when my parcel will arrive at my door. And yet the best they can propagate to their tracking website is "today".
  • sionisaissionisais Shipmate
    Parcel delivery is the worst. Experience has taught me that if you are given a choice of morning or afternoon then your parcel arrive between half past eleven and one o'clock, so you either lose most of the day or, rushing back from work, miss the afternoon delivery.

And that doesn't include their propensity for playing knock-down ginger
  • ClimacusClimacus Shipmate
    edited May 2018
    Knock-down ginger? :confused:

28C today, in autumnal May. But rain, of which we are sorely lacking, is promised.

TICTH barmy ideas from management. They come and they come. And people who couldn't organise an orgy in a brothel being put in charge of managing key projects.
  • Snow forecast for tomorrow for Alps so weekend up here may be cooler than today’s 28
    Climacus wrote: »
    Knock-down ginger? :confused:

Knocking on the door then running away. Beloved of small boys, couriers and ParcelFarce.
    TICTH barmy ideas from management. They come and they come. And people who couldn't organise an orgy in a brothel being put in charge of managing key projects.

Oh indeed. At the moment we have any number of things going full steam ahead except some pretty vital foundations. I suppose you can hazard away, but it will bite you eventually.
    edited May 2018
    Being fair to the nurses, they are almost all brilliant, perceptive, and caring of all concerned. The couple who aren't don't come often, so their tendency to treat me (possibly from cultural misunderstandings) as some sort of mentally deficient menial isn't too difficult.
    Today's gripe is my digital radio. I look back to analogue days when technology kept its settings from day to day and did not reset to factory on a whim, requiring one to wakeup fully, retune, and reset the presets and the alarm when one would rather continue dozing.
    Penny S wrote: »
    Today's gripe is my digital radio. I look back to analogue days when technology kept its settings from day to day and did not reset to factory on a whim, requiring one to wakeup fully, retune, and reset the presets and the alarm when one would rather continue dozing.

Our DAB radios are fine, although the on/off switch on one double as the selector for DAB/FM/Auxiliary so when you turn it off you sometimes get a half-tuned FM station: you have to hold the button down for just the right time. It's not much of a problem switching on in the morning as we leave it on all night.
  • PriscillaPriscilla Shipmate
    TICTH people who ignore signs on supermarket tills for 10 items only.
    I had a perfect example of this this morning in our local supermarket. I had 3 items and so found the express/10 items till. The lady in front of me was busy unloading her full trolley load onto the conveyor belt. I politely asked her if she realised this was a 10 items till, to which she answered "yes" and carried on unloading.
  • I agree, but the supermarket staff were surely at fault for allowing her to unload her trolley there in the first place.

Tessie Cohen's little corner shop, to which emporium I repair from time to time, is most punctilious in this respect.

I'm afraid I would have been tempted to count the lady's individual items LOUDLY as she unloaded them, sighing and muttering sotto voce the while, uncouth customer for the maximum embarrassment of.
    :naughty:

(I've got to the age now where I don't care about Making A Scene. It must be something to do with having Actors in the family.)

IJ
  • Who ever had the bright idea to build a hospital on a very steep hill and parking lot down below?
    Today I had to go for some tests, handy golf cart volunteers who are sometimes but not always there to offer a lift up the hill were not available today. The small 4 car handicap parking on level with hospital which is usually full, was all blocked off for work on new landscape. I came home exhausted from chucking up and down the hill. Surely a lot of people going into a hospital have problems with mobility. Alright rant over, I feel better. I am making a phone call to hospital administrator tomorrow. Not that I think there is much they can do. A mountain is a mountain. They must have chosen the site because the land was cheap.
    That does sound a bit mental, GI - didn't it occur to them that some of the people using a hospital might not be at the peak of fitness?
  • Golden KeyGolden Key Shipmate, Glory
    edited May 2018
    GI--

I wonder...is there maybe a back way in, and/or an underground part of the building? There very well may not be, but...

I periodically deal with a smaller-scaled version of that. Hospital and medical offices on piece of land with ups and downs, and a steep public sidewalk on the street side. Parking lot at the bottom, and I arrive nearby on the bus. Used to be that'd I'd have to walk up the hill to get into the complex, then back down the hill *within* the complex.

One of my medical people showed me a back way in from the parking lot. It's available to the public, but not advertised. So I don't have to go up the hill, unless I specifically have to go to the building that's there. And, if I go in the back way, there's the option of going to that building through an interior way that doesn't involve steepness, but still gets me there.

FWIW, YMMV.