Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Animal companions in our happy homes

Comments

• RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host, Glory
    daisydaisy wrote: »
    They know, don’t they. Nothing comforts better than a sensitive cat.
    There's one purring on my lap as I type these words.

• My sensitive cat and I are currently comforting each other. Her brother went AWOL a couple of weeks ago and I'm hoping against hope he's found soon (but optimism is in short supply).
  • MiliMili Shipmate
    Sorry about your loss of Georgie, Huia and how strange but sweet that your neighbours' cat visited. Praying your cat returns Kittyville. Chaya has really settled in and is not only exploring the whole house but getting into things she shouldn't now. My housemate is going away for almost 2 weeks and booked her into the shelter's cat boarding facility as when she booked Chaya was still very skittish. Hope she doesn't feel lonely or abandoned until she comes home again.
  • What is it with cats and garlic sausage? Picked up some reduced in Tesco today and was nearly eaten alive. All of our cats have been silly about it.
  • BoogieBoogie Heaven Host
    We went, on Friday, to Wagga Wuffins canine college.

It’s an indoor arena where they teach scent work. They were all spaniels except Tatze! One bloke had his spaniel and a baby puppy spaniel 13 weeks old. I cuddled him for ages. (the puppy, not the bloke!)

Tatze was a superstar. Really friendly with all the people and dogs - she loved the work - and she aced it!

We did searching the room and searching people. The objects were their own toys which we leave in a tin overnight with catnip. But they started Tatze with cheeeese - too easy!

I’ll try and get a video next time. It was a really relaxed and social atmosphere, we both absolutely loved it. I even had a couple of cups of coffee - what a great way to spend a morning with my special girl. Tatze rarely ‘smiles’ but she was on Friday and her tail never stopped wagging once.

happy Tatze
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    Tatze sure looks like a happy girl! Love the picture of her!
  • She does look happy. Dad had two Afghan hounds. One smiled at my young children. Lips pulled over teeth and a definite smile and happy expression. Photos still make people exclaim at the smile.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Fredegund wrote: »
    What is it with cats and garlic sausage? Picked up some reduced in Tesco today and was nearly eaten alive. All of our cats have been silly about it.

Fredegund I am not certain about this and am very willing to be shot down in flames if I am wrong, but I thought garlic and onion weren't very good for cats. I know they could still be attracted to it, as they apparently are to anti-freeze, which is lethal, but please be wary.

I realized today that this is the first time in the 28 years I have lived in this house that there isn't a resident cat to keep me in order - it seems strange and kind of empty.
    (((Huia)))
    I know that feeling. My two old girls had been with me in this house for a third of my life. I really miss having kitties, even though my allergy doctor keeps saying, "Do you have a cat? No cats!!"

At least I have grandkitties that stay with me on occasion. I just don't tell my allergy doc, because he doesn't ask if I keep cats at my house when their staff go on vacation! And D-U is going to foster kittens!! Yay!! I'll have to make a lot of excuses to go to her house to get some kitten love!
  • Thanks for your concern, Huia. It's like cheese - a small amount divided among 4. I haven't got the amounts wrong yet (DV) but it's good to be reminded. Normally it's the bits of leftover chicken. Speaking of which -must go and do that for them.
    Boogie - wow, loved the photo!
    I thought dog food was stinky because of the garlic they put in it; dogs reportedly love garlic. I haven't tried my cats with garlic sausage, because I don't eat it myself.

{{{{Huia}}}}

• Jane RJane R Shipmate
    Garlic and onions are poisonous to dogs, too.

In other news, Minnie the Minx discovered a new game a couple of weeks ago; splashing in her water bowl. We tried buying her one of these (allegedly) non-spill water dishes. It took her less than two minutes to work out how to turn it upside down. I was mildly impressed that there was still some water left in it when we caught up with her and turned it right-way up again, but not impressed enough to let her keep playing with it. It is now glued to the floor (literally; it came with little Velcro feet that you can pull apart when you want to add more water and/or wash it). She still manages to get the water out, but can't distribute it over such a wide area.
    edited January 2019
    Rossweisse wrote: »
    I thought dog food was stinky because of the garlic they put in it; dogs reportedly love garlic. I haven't tried my cats with garlic sausage, because I don't eat it myself.

{{{{Huia}}}}

Garlic is poisonous for dogs.

My friend’s pup has just spent a week in dog hospital because he ate two pieces of garlic - luckily she saw him do it. It was touch and go and he’s still having blood tests every two days.

Other bulbs are too - tulip, daffodil etc.

• BelisariusBelisarius Admin Emeritus
    Rreally surprised to hear this, as my family gave garlic pills to our dogs to deter fleas (not sure they ever worked, and the dogs did eat around them unless they were well-disguised); the dosage was obviously significantly below toxic levels.
    I stand corrected. Thank you!
  • I used garlic water to bathe the eyes of an elderly cat who I served for a couple of years while his other slaves had a break. His eyes cleared well enough for the local wildlife to become interesting again.
  • We lost a small dog to green onions, and nearly lost another at the same time. It's all about the dosage IMHO. I wouldn't risk it. Things from the allium family (garlic, onions, etc.) create anemia in most creatures. Which makes me wonder how we get away with eating them, but I've not had a good answer on that yet.
  • Last April i relocated to rural life, taking with me an elderly dog and cat but leaving Mr Alba in the city to prepare our previous house for sale.
    Our elderly cat made it to the countryside and experienced frogs jumping around her in the grass and luxuriated in the warmth of the sunshine on her old bones. But by the summer her journey here on planet earth came to an end. It was tough as we'd had her twenty one years and she had seen my family through an especially tough time.
    We are feeling the lack of her badly as we are in rental and can regularly hear the mice behind the skirting boards and on a bad day even watch them dance across our floors.

Elderly dog appears not to notice mice, even the dancing variety! Whether this is selective vision...or really bad eyesight...we're unclear about as he Does have selective hearing (of the non medical variety!)

A question for you kind people:
    How old is old ...for a Golden Retriever?
    He arrived with us in 20106, as a puppy.
  • "Lamb wrote:
    .....It's all about the Things from the allium family (garlic, onions, etc.) create anemia in most creatures. Which makes me wonder how we get away with eating them, but I've not had a good answer on that yet.
    I have a friend with low blood pressure who has to avoid onions.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    edited February 2019
    I thought this would take me longer to do...

Tomorrow I have a job interview with a black and white fluffy kitten to see if I am worthy of being her slave. She's about 8 weeks old and I am taking the cat carrying cage with a blanket to leave at her place so when she is delivered she has something the smells of both places - which may make the transition easier for her. I am so excited. I need to disinfect the cage.

Having a gap between seeing her and having her come home will mean time to get the right food and the kind of cat litter she is used to. Also time to choose a name that suits her. I already have some ideas, but am open to suggestions. :smiley:

• MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Huia, I am also excited! I once shared a house with somebody who had a gorgeous black and white cat called Chaplin (after Charlie Chaplin because of a quizzical expression and facial markings).
    Oh, Huia, some good news! (I'd let further acquaintance help with the name, but that's just me.) Blessings on you and your new kitty.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Excellent news, Huia - wishing you and your new boss pussycat many happy years together! :smiley:
  • Brilliant news, Huia. How exciting! Have a wonderful time getting to know your new kitten.
    Lovely news Huia - fun times ahead!
  • How exciting @Huia - maybe she’ll whisper her name to you. Or at least, one of her three.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    edited February 2019
    Thanks everyone.

I did think of one when I saw her photo, but Rossweisse's idea of waiting until I know her is usually how I do it. I don't really need a name until she is microchipped.

Georgie was named after George Bush ( believe it or not) because, as a stray, she invaded whether she was wanted or not (as he did, but I can't remember where). The Porgy fat'n'fluffy bit was after her first vet visit. I had never had a fluffy cat before and was worried she was overweight. I asked the vet what I should do about this. He very kindly didn't fall about laughing, but felt her ribs and said that the bulk was just fur.

Also, I didn't see why all the long names should only be given to pedigree cats.
    Huia! That's wonderful news! I look forward to hearing about your adventures with your new friend!
  • Jane RJane R Shipmate
    edited February 2019
    Glad to hear you have a kitten coming to cheer you up, Huia. <fails to think of suitable name for black-and-white kitten>

@Ethne Alba: Do you mean 2006? That would make him 13, which is a very respectable age for a big dog like a Golden Retriever. I know of a Labrador who lived to the age of 14, but that was considered exceptional.
  • BelisariusBelisarius Admin Emeritus
    Our first Golden Retriever lived to 15, though he became increasingly infirm his last year; our second died before he was 12 due to a brain tumor. :(
  • Lovely news Huia. Her name will come to you.
    My black and white companion is named after a marking that made her stand out from her siblings but both marking and name seem to suit her.
  • Our young sons named our black and white cat 1 Adam 12 because she was the color of our local black and white police cars. They called her Adam, but insisted her "full" name be on her chart at the vet, so not to confuse her with other cat patients named Adam. Best wishes on your new kitty Huia, what ever name comes to you may you have many hours of joy ahead.
    Black and white kitties seem to have special personalities! D-U and her hubby have a huge long-haired black and white cat named Prince Charming. He's also known on certain internet sites as Boneless the Cat. He's pretty much a liquid with long fur.
  • LydaLyda Shipmate
    I had a black and white kitty named Pablo for Pablo Picasso because his asymmetrical marked face looked like a cubist painting. RIP, baby boy.
  • Son had an Abyssinian named Claudia Schitter, sort of after the model. She had pedigreed aristocratic good looks but could not learn to use litter tray. The wrong end always hung over the outside edge of the tray.
  • ClimacusClimacus Shipmate
    edited February 2019
    All the best, Huia!

Numbers 21 and 22, Boogie.
    My first all-mine cat (when I moved into my own apartment) was a sweet tuxedo kitty named Despina. They do have special jellicle personalities.
  • MiliMili Shipmate
    That's great Huia! Sometimes we plan to wait for a new pet, but then the right one just comes along earlier than planned.

Chaya is back home and pretty much settled back in right away, except she's spending a bit more time hiding under the bed or under her picnic play rug in the lounge room. She is friendly with everyone now. Sometimes she still gets a little nervous but her love of cuddles and pats seems to override any skittishness.
    Climacus wrote: »

Yay!

I’ll be using them!
  • Mili wrote: »
    That's great Huia! Sometimes we plan to wait for a new pet, but then the right one just comes along earlier than planned.
    Yes, that’s pretty much how all mine have arrived - planned for but premature.

@Mili great news about Chaya xx
  • Congratulations, Huia! My two black and white kitties are Oreo and Sibyl.
    edited February 2019
    Norty boy!

We are really late going out today, so they are both looking hopefully out of the window. Spencer is not allowed on furniture AND Tatze’s chair is her safe place, so we had to have the ‘off’ cue straight after the photo. I like his look of entitlement :lol:
  • Congratulations Huia! The name will come to you, as others have said. We've been owned by and fostered dozens of Jellicles over the years. Earliest was Perdita, a longhaired lady who'd been abandoned by her previous people when they moved house - hence the name. 2 currently - the Youcat, after Sir Pterry's creation. We weren't intending to keep any of the litter, so didn't want to give them names we would fall for. Of course, we kept You, Who and Tethra, although only You is still with us. (sigh)
    The other is Jessie, a very longhaired lady. Previous people had called her Jess, after the Postman Pat character, but
    a) He's a he
    b) And a shorthair
    c) And the name just didn't fit. Jessie or Jessica does. The only cat I've ever come across who is a match for the furminator. Doesn't matter how often you use it, still remove enough to create a kitten each time.
    Look forward to hearing about the new arrival
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Fredegund wrote: »
    ... The only cat I've ever come across who is a match for the furminator. Doesn't matter how often you use it, still remove enough to create a kitten each time.
    I can see the beginning of a cottage industry there ... :mrgreen:
  • Our neighbor is feeding a number of stray cats, who walk through our yard at their meal times. Molly the dog loves chasing them, but I have noticed she always stops and barks from the porch before the chase starts so I am sure they will always have safe passage, and Molly gets some good exercise.
    I have my Three Grandkitties staying with me for a week! :smiley:
    Love those furry sweeties!
    Piglet wrote: »
    I can see the beginning of a cottage industry there ...
    I had two Birmans (mother and daughter) and a fluffy female ginger cat. When we Furminated them and put the brushings out in the background, it really did look as though a litter of small kittens was enjoying the sunshine.

Do you not find furminators rather harsh?

I use human ‘tangle teasers’ to groom my dogs.

🐕
  • Tangle teasers don't work on fluffy cats - especially when said cat will make its objection clear, with claws.
  • My dog's fur/hair is similar to a lab's and during the spring and fall the furminator is a great help with getting rid of excess hair that is ready to fall. Otherwise, I use a silicone dog brush that is quite similar to what Boogie describes. The furminator can be harsh is used too often but just one swipe of it in the pet store when my dog was blowing out her coat was enough to convince me to pay the price! Tomorrow marks five years since the day I saw the ad for her in the wee hours of the morning and sent off an email to her first family and by 10 a.m. I had my first dog!