Animal companions in our happy homes

Comments

• MiffyMiffy Shipmate
    edited April 2018
    Tiger Cat, who is fierce, fat and fourteen, is booked into the vet for dental treatment tomorrow week. He’s been known to draw blood at routine visits before now, so god luck to whoever’s in duty that morning; even sedating him should be an ‘interesting’ experience!

Good luck, I meant. Though maybe the odd prayer for the duty vet won’t go amiss.
  • SmudgieSmudgie Shipmate
    Good luck with that, Miffy! I have fond memories of my old cat Tiffany shredding our vet when he tried to demonstrate to me how easy it is to give a cat a tablet.

The difference between the characters of my current two is ultra evident today as I am off on holiday and leaving cat sitters in the flat (EmmaLouise and AJ with their two children). I am relieved because Alex is far less likely to wander if she is getting lots of love and attention and she will be getting that in abundance.

Millie, on the other hand, makes me feel so guilty as she is quiet and sensitive and only likes me to stroke her (though she is starting to tolerate my man after two and a half years getting to know him.
  • Milly my mid size border collie/ terrier mix is very unhappy this week. 4 straight days of heavy ran. She goes to the door looks out turns around and holds "it" as long as she can. Runs out along the edge of the porch, dashes to the trees and hurries back. Then she looks at me, looks at the door, looks at me, as if she expects me to make it stop raining. I would think at least the border collie genes would handle a little rain. I have raised a wimp. She does not mind a bath thankfully.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Georgie-Porgy is a sweet wee cat, who is rapidly losing her nine lives. She turned the radio on and woke me at 5am :angry: by cleverly jumping on the switch. Tonight I'm leaving it set to Cd to outsmart her cunning ploy :smiley:
  • MiliMili Shipmate
    Has anyone had experience with a cat who attacked a neighbour? This morning as I was about to head out to play soccer I noticed my housemate seemed distressed. I had seen her cat Arkie outside about half an hour earlier, looking a bit wild in the wind, and called him in as we were expecting heavy rain. But he ran off.

She had a funny feeling later on that Arkie was 'up to no good' (pet owners are sometimes psychically connected to their pets, I think). She checked out the front and saw him jump into the open door of a neighbour's car. She headed over to get him, but before she got there the man came back and feeling trapped, Arkie swiped his face. He just missed his eye and gave him a nasty gash on the face! Thankfully housemate witnessed it and was able to talk to the neighbour. Arkie is always exploring the neighbours' yards and the victim said he is fine with having him hanging around, even after this incident. My housemate was worried the cut might get infected and the neighbour will report him as dangerous. I assured her that there is only a reporting system for dangerous dogs and the man seems to like cats at least. I don't think Arkie will attack anyone else and hopefully this will teach him not to get into cars.

Arkie's owner is going away the rest of the weekend and my other housemate is away too so I'm in charge of Arkie until Sunday night. Last time she went away he got himself shut in next door's garage and we didn't realise until his dinner time. Thankfully he has a loud meow and we could hear him in there and the neighbours were home to release him! I really hope he doesn't get up to any more mischief this weekend. If he attacks anyone else he might have to be an indoor cat, which I'm sure he won't appreciate. Currently we keep him in at night, which is the law here anyway, but he gets pretty stir crazy when he spends too much time indoors.

• SnowgooseSnowgoose Shipmate Posts: 23
    edited April 2018
    Mili, I once had a neighbor cat, a big ginger boy named Tyrone, who was a little scrappy. He gave me quite a scratch once, which upset his humans more than it did me. (I am a veteran of many cats.) Cats almost never attack unless they are afraid. It doesn't seem like Arkie is vicious by nature.

We moved house in January and it has taken our four cats some time to get used to it. Pandora (the younger of our two Siamese), who had always been the healthiest of the lot, came down with pancreatitis and is still suffering some effects of it. Jenny (little grey tabby and all around mischief factory) has licked a large bald spot on her belly because of the stress of moving. Brunhilde (our big fluffy former stray) is hypothyroid and we have just started medicating her (oh, joy). Portia, our older Siamese and Head Cat, is doing just fine, fortunately.

There has been quite a bit of jockeying for territory as they settle in, but it seems to be getting better. One thing that has helped is to close them in separate rooms (Portia and Pandora, who are bonded, in one room; Jenny and Brunhilde in separate rooms) right before we go to bed. This way they know that, at least at night, they will not have to worry about fights over food dishes and litter boxes. (There is a litter box in each room.) It seems to be working. When I clean the litter boxes at night they usually just go up to their rooms and wait for me to feed them.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Hyperthyroid ( the opposite of what your cat has) is easy to medicate , with a transdermal gel rubbed on the hairless part of the ears, but it's more expensive than pills - which Georgie-Porgy just spat out.
  • MiliMili Shipmate
    Thanks Snowgoose. We haven't had any more trouble and hopefully the incident will put Arkie off climbing into people's cars. He is only 15 months and a small, slight pretty tabby cat and has only ever scratched my housemates and I in play, which he is growing out of thankfully. We have noticed a few scratches on him from run ins with other cats, but he also has befriended a couple of cats and hangs out with them sometimes. I'm not sure if that will continue once he is fully grown up. At least being in at night avoids most fighting. I do hear cats fighting in our yard occasionally, so other neighbours must leave their cats out at night or strays are fighting.

I hope your cats all settle in soon and get along again.
  • SnowgooseSnowgoose Shipmate Posts: 23
    Huia wrote: »
    Hyperthyroid ( the opposite of what your cat has) is easy to medicate , with a transdermal gel rubbed on the hairless part of the ears, but it's more expensive than pills - which Georgie-Porgy just spat out.

Ooops! I meant to type "hyperthyroid," actually, not "hypothyroid." We are indeed medicating her with the expensive transdermal gel, and judging by her yowls you would think we were torturing her.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    I was lucky Georgie settled to accepting the gel without too much fuss after a few days. I always get up, administer the gel, then feed her. For the first few weeks I bribed her with special cat food, but now I don't bother. I always put the syringe (with the cap on) into warm water because it makes the gel flow more easily, then lift her onto a waist high desk to administer it. Gel time is also a good excuse for extra stroking and cuddles, which puts both of us in a better mood.

Because I'm not usually well organised, I'm really proud that I have managed to do it at roughly the same time every day. My Doctor is hoping that one day I will become as regular with my own medication. :blush:
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    I reckon G-P, f&f is very lucky to have you as her human, Huia. :)
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Been off-line so I didn't see this - actually I think I'm lucky she decided to move in despite the fact that 2 other cats (that have since died) lived here then. She and I supported each other through the 15,000 or so aftershocks that followed the 2010 - 2011 quakes here. A lot of cats left home and never returned to their families, but G-P is a cat who knows where her food bowl is. If she was outside when there was a jolt, she would come racing inside and hide in a drawer in the divan in the spare room.

She is the only one of the 5 cats I've had as an adult, who seems to have a sense of humour and who doesn't take offence when laughed at. Also, even at the advanced age of 14, she still plays like a kitten and gallops everywhere as though she was being chased. I am lucky to be her slave human.
  • Hula, G-P sounds like a wonderful cat.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Well, I think she is, and she thinks she is. :smiley:
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    One of my two small dogs has to go to the vet today ( just waiting to hear about the time of her appointment) with some mysterious illness that came on suddenly over the weekend. She is extremely lethargic and unresponsive. Poison? Realised when I was speaking to the vet that I'm still grieving my Great Dane who died in December, a wonderful dog I miss every day. I can't bear the thought of losing another dog and am trying very hard not to catastrophise. Her twin is running around the house squeaking with alarm, something she has never done before.
  • Lily PadLily Pad Shipmate
    Hope everything goes well, MaryLouise. Your reaction sounds perfectly reasonable to me. I hope they call soon.
    Thanks, Lily Pad, we went through to the vet earlier. The vet knows my small dog Chub very well and thinks she has injured her spine, there seems to be some inflammation. She prescribed mild painkillers, an anti-inflammatory and we shall go back in a week's time. Huge relief.
  • So glad for you, MaryLouise. I hope it heals soon.
  • TwilightTwilight Shipmate
    Hope all goes well for little Chub.
  • Some of you may remember Guest Cat who stayed with me a while last year from the old boards.

He's coming back for his spring holidays :smiley: :smiley: Not that I'm delighted or anything....
  • Sorry to hear that Mary Louise. Hope Chub is better soon.

Lol kingsfold - you are going to spoil that cat.
  • DormouseDormouse Shipmate
    Can I just warn people to look out for processionary caterpillars which are on the move in UK and Europe, maybe USA, and can kill small dogs and cause respiratory problems in people. They really are nasty things
    {{{MaryLouise and Chub}}}

@kingsfold - I think you're going to have to get yourself a cat - if only to be a wee friend for Guest Cat when he comes to visit.

You know you want to ... :mrgreen:
  • RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host, Glory
    MaryLouise, that's a relief! I hope it clears up quickly.

Thanks to everyone who commented on the Chub. She is much better and scrambling around, jumping on and off the sofa, back to her old affectionate scrounging ways. I'm hoping it was just a back sprain and that the anti-inflammatories have taken care of the problem. If not, we'll have to get x-rays and explore further.

The Chub is very lively for nine years. A real rescue dog: I found her and her sister Chloe as tiny puppies thrown into a rubbish pit near a commercial (battery) chicken farm. They were barely alive and terrified. I took them to the vet and had shots, flea treatment etc. The fleas were so numerous that they swarmed up the vet's arm when he was handling the puppies. Chub had a parasitic infection around her mouth and I sat smearing on medicated pastes for weeks if not months. Chloe had a badly broken tail and torn cruciate ligament. They also had mange, ringworm, infected animal bites and bladder infections, so their coats looked dreadful.

My neighbour said they were the ugliest, most sickly mongrels she had ever seen. Eventually they began to settle down and put on weight (hence the name Chub) and I found that they are half-Pomeranians mixed with fox terrier, have delightful natures and are smart enough to have the household revolve around them.
  • TwilightTwilight Shipmate
    What a great story, Mary Louise!
    Absolutely - you're a heroine! I hope Chub and Chloe realise how lucky they are to have you as their human!
  • Bless you Mary Louise, a hero in my book. Such lucky pups you have.
    Twilight, Piglet, Graven Image -- no, I was the lucky one. Really.
    Brava, MaryLouise!
  • BoogieBoogie Heaven Host
    Keir had his assessment walk round town today. He got 100% full marks and will be recommended to go into Guide Dog training at the next meeting.

Good boy!

He was part of a puppy boom, so although he’s on the list it doesn’t mean he’ll go in straight away - it will still be a waiting game.

I’ve put myself down for a new pup in early July. Tatze says ‘they come and they go Mum’. But I will miss this one more than any other before him.

:heart:
    Well done, Keir! :smiley:
    Bravo, Keir!
    What a wonderful golden boy! I imagine it will be very hard to part with him even though you're used to it, Boogie.
    MaryLouise wrote: »
    What a wonderful golden boy! I imagine it will be very hard to part with him even though you're used to it, Boogie.

This is going to be the hardest pup to say goodbye to. We’ve already said that, if for any reason he doesn’t make it, we’ll have him back as a pet.

• NicoleMRNicoleMR Shipmate
    My turtle seems to be ill. She is swimming on her side, though oddly enough she is showing no other symptoms of being ill, she has a good appetite, and she is active. But there is something wrong. On Monday I'm going to call my regular vet, who doesn't afaik deal with exotic pets, and see if they have a recommendation for one who does deal with turtles. I'm quite worried, I've had her since she was a baby, 23 years now.
    Awww - I’ve read the article and it looks like she may have wind!

Does she have a name? She’s a good age :smile:
    Christie the Turtle is her name. Thanks for the article. I suppose it could be that, but I more suspect a resperatory problem. I'll start looking for a vet tomorrow.
    Best to check it out, Nicole.
  • Just find a better vet than the one I had for my sick turtle. My mother, a nurse, asked where to give an injection. "In the same place as a snake," she was told.
    "And where is that?" she asked.
    "In the leg."
  • PigwidgeonPigwidgeon Shipmate
    Just find a better vet than the one I had for my sick turtle. My mother, a nurse, asked where to give an injection. "In the same place as a snake," she was told.
    "And where is that?" she asked.
    "In the leg."

That's wonderful! (I'd be tempted to ask front leg or back leg.)
    :lol:
    Well, I made an appointment for the turtle to see a vet tonight. We'll see how it goes.
    Good luck!
    How did it go?
    Well, they wanted to take her overnight to their main practice and give her an x-ray, but that wasn't practical for several reasons, so they just started her on antibiotic injections and a vitamin A injection. She goes back tonight for her next injection. She's active and eating well but definitely not well.
    (Nicole and Christie the Turtle)

Hoping she's feeling better today.
  • Ethne AlbaEthne Alba Shipmate
    Our cat must be twenty by now.....we've recently moved and she is really enjoying the outdoor life and the new quiet of a rural existence. She's not in any pain (she lets us know about pain) + still eating and eliminating ok. Lots of purring. Enjoys being groomed. Enjoys being with people and most of all enjoys sleeping in the sunshine.
    But...
    ....her back legs sometimes look darn weird, she sometimes appears not to be able to see properly and were she a human i would say that she is showing signs of dementia.

I really don't want to cart her off to the vet for investigations. Mostly because she loathes any vet, but also because if there is something wrong it will be medication and this cat is a Total Refuser in that dept.
    Plus.....frankly....... she is old and i think deserves to live out her final years in sunshine and peace.

If she's in pain, it will be the vets at 100mph and that will be that.

Am i being fair?
    Or should i consider quitting while we're ahead?
  • Lily PadLily Pad Shipmate
    With dogs, there is a type of dog food for seniors that has some supplements that make a big difference in mobility. It might be worth checking to see if they have special cat food for senior cats. Also, what about checking with the vet to ask if there are general things that you could do that might improve things without having the cat examined?
    My turtle has been getting her antibiotic shots and so far seems to be doing very well. The thing that worries me is that next week I'm going to be gone away all week. I have a friend who's willing to take her to the vet for me once, though, so she won't be without care at all.

I got her a UVB light which I've needed to do, and I hope that helps her general condition too.