Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

What did you sing at church today?

NenyaNenya All Saints Host, Ecclesiantics & MW Host
It was felt to be good to have this thread again now that in-building services are happening more widely and that Ecclesiantics would be the best place for it.

The original thread was started in March 2018 and ran until March 2020 when the first lockdown rendered it redundant.

Comments

• I'll kick this off and say I shall be watching this thread with awe. I have hymn blindness, which may not be a real thing but I really have it.

Only hymns. I can go to a gig and reel off the setlist years later, and probably have them in the right order.

But.

Despite knowing my way round Hymns A&M and the New English Hymnal pretty well, to the extent that I can sing a lot of them without the book (not a boast, just a thing), for as long as I can remember if you ask me at 1200 on a Sunday what we sang in the 1030 Mass or whatever, an hour later I can't tell you.

I know the one hymn we sang (in the churchyard) last Sunday was Charles Wesley, but more than that I could not say, More to the point, more than that I could not say to my wife when I walked through the door on my return from the service. I must be singing on autopilot or something.
  • DardaDarda Shipmate
    Last Sunday at an afternoon service in our church garden.
    Tell Out My Soul Timothy Dudley-Smith, Walter Greatorex
    Holy, Holy Nathan Fellingham
    This is amazing grace Jeremy Riddle, Josh Farro, Phil Wickham
    In Christ Alone Keith Getty, Stuart Townend
    The Blessing Chris Brown, Cody Carnes, Kari Jobe, Steven Furtick
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited July 2021
    Thanks @Nenya!

I think I've already mentioned the Nice Hymns my fellow-Reader has chosen for First-Sing-Sunday (25th July):

All my hope on God is founded
    Just as I am
    Let all mortal flesh keep silence
    Forth in thy name O Lord I go
    (tune by that not-exactly-contemporary composer Orlando Gibbons :grin: )

I'm not sure if I'll be there, but I expect they'll be sung with Our Place's usual enthusiasm!

During the pandemic, I've made myself acquainted online with a number of Lutheran/Reformed hymns and other music, not at present part of our repertoire. I'd like to gradually introduce some of this material at Our Place - much of it is very singable - but we shall see...
    :naughty:
  • Glad to see this back! Thanks @Nenya!

This past Sunday we had:

Sing Praise to God Who Reigns Above/Mit Freuden Zart
    Kum Ba Yah/Come By Here*
    Alleluia! Christ Is Arisen (¡Aleluya! Cristo resucitó)/Santo Domingo
    Christ Has Risen While Earth Slumbers/Transformation

* I know this one can raise some eyebrows in other parts of the world. We sang it quietly as “Come by here,” unaccompanied except for a flute, prior to the Prayers of the People.

• MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Thanks, @Nenya, this thread has always been a favourite read given that my parish's hymns are, well, uninspiring.

Like others here, I've enjoyed exploring the music of other churches online (thanks for your suggestions, @Forthview) and am also grateful for bookmarked music noted on this thread in the last few years, a great resource for Sunday (and weekday) listening.
  • ZappaZappa Shipmate
    I've recently appointed myself (tee-hee - I have the power!) priest in charge of one of the more run-down parishes in the diocese. Congregation of twenty or so, musically fairly challenged, terrible acoustic (and architecture) in the main centre's building and so on. Two musicians -

1) a very elderly organist who prays with her fingers (on a ghastly electric thing) and will keep going until she no longer enjoys doing so - much loved by the small congregation so they - we - will continue to love her music for its prayerful integrity.

2) a once a month country-ish style electric guitarist, who also plays with prayerfulness, and who is no prima donna (unlike many).

They choose the music. I told them if I were to choose we'd have "Guide Me O Thou Great Whichever" every week five times because it's the only hymn I know. I perhaps exaggerated a little.

We mainly use that yellowy orangy book - "Complete Anglican" or some such - I've always quite liked it (it's done inclusive language well and offers a fine range of hymnody) though I'd prefer spiders' footprints on the pages. They help me know when to wobble or slide up and down and for how long. Sort of.

My point? About 20 people gather to sing and play badly yet the angels sing with them, and I am growing to love this broken, bewildered group of stumbling believers. I will let you know what we sing, and will let you know with joy and pride - because what I hear will be those people mumbling self-consciously each week, but what you may read and then hear with your mind's ear might be a glorious cathedralesque majesty, reverberating with faith and joy and musical excellence and deep devotion. I have a funny feeling that's what God hears too.
  • Yn anffodus... Unfortunately, in Wales, while we were 'freed' for congregational singing about a month ago it was conditional on local rates of infection staying below a fixed level. Since then, rates have shot up so that no Church in Wales congregation can currently sing together.
  • Zappa wrote: »
    My point? About 20 people gather to sing and play badly yet the angels sing with them, and I am growing to love this broken, bewildered group of stumbling believers. I will let you know what we sing, and will let you know with joy and pride - because what I hear will be those people mumbling self-consciously each week, but what you may read and then hear with your mind's ear might be a glorious cathedralesque majesty, reverberating with faith and joy and musical excellence and deep devotion. I have a funny feeling that's what God hears too.
    I have a funny feeling you’re exactly right, @Zappa! It sounds like you’ve landed in a wonderful gathering of stumbling believers.
  • ZappaZappa Shipmate
    kinda happy-making, yes
  • That's a nice story, @Zappa . It sounds like our church. I don't much like picking hymns - but I think there are things which suggest hymns to go with the lectionary (which we generally follow), and if I had to do it, that's where I'd start.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Thank you Zappa - all of it spot-on correct.
  • TheOrganistTheOrganist Shipmate
    edited July 2021
    Two weddings today. The first, not at my own church, is a couple so engaged with the process they haven't bothered to hear banns or even decide on music, just told the incumbent "money no object, we'd like a choir and the usual music"... ! The incumbent approached me because he doesn't have either regular organist or choir so I'm supplying the latter and we've settled on Love divine, Lord of all hopefulness, and Praise my soul for hymns with Jesu, joy of man's desiring while they sign the paperwork (no longer "The Registers"), plus the Stanley trumpet thing and the final of Widor Symphonie V. The fees are very good so worth the effort.

The second, at my own church, is a lovely couple who both work on our neighbouring farm. He who would valiant be, We plough the fields, O Praise ye the Lord, Wagner's Bridal March and Mendelssohn to finish. No choir but local congregation guaranteed to sing.
  • I observe that you refrained from choosing Dear Lord and Father of mankind (forgive our foolish ways) and Father hear the prayer we offer (not for ease that prayer shall be) for the first wedding...
    :naughty:

All excellent choices, though, IMHO...
  • Yn anffodus... Unfortunately, in Wales, while we were 'freed' for congregational singing about a month ago it was conditional on local rates of infection staying below a fixed level. Since then, rates have shot up so that no Church in Wales congregation can currently sing together.
    The "fixed level" was taken out of the official guidance fairly quickly. Obviously churches must follow their denomination's rules - as Baptists we are given guidance but ultimately it's up to each church to make its own decisions following a suitable Risk Assessment,

• What are you doing as regards singing at Your Place @Baptist Trainfan ?
  • Baptist TrainfanBaptist Trainfan Shipmate
    edited July 2021
    We are singing with masks - tomorrow will be our 4th week (I think). We are able to maintain a good air flow through the building with open doors and windows.

The infection rate in Wales seems, hopefully, to have stabilised; for some reason it is lower in our part of the city than many other places; also most of our congregation are fully vaccinated. We will review again if (a) we move into a different Alert Level; (b) the Government guidance changes; or (c) if cases rise dramatically. At present we are conducting a Questionnaire among the congregation to gauge their views on singing and social distancing should regulations be eased, asking everyone to respond.
  • It's all still rather uncertain, no?

We in the C of E are allowed to sing - unmasked, if we wish! - and FatherInCharge has made this known in his weekly newsletter.

However, he has added the caveat that this may change at any time, if restrictions are re-imposed by a *government* addicted to sudden U-turns...
    :grimace:

The "fixed level" was taken out of the official guidance fairly quickly. Obviously churches must follow their denomination's rules - as Baptists we are given guidance but ultimately it's up to each church to make its own decisions following a suitable Risk Assessment,

Yes, but it's clear that the current level - in any authority area in Wales - is too high for any Anglican church to sing within the overall guidance. But then, given that I work for the Welsh Government, I would say that...
  • PendragonPendragon Shipmate
    This morning's selection. Fr Duck had a theme going for the resumption of singing. (Mostly masked, although some people took them off)

O praise ye the Lord
    Let all the world in every corner sing
    Praise to the Lord, the almighty, the king of creation
    Be still for the presence of the Lord

(I doubt many weddings have We plough the fields as a hymn, but it makes sense if they're in farming.)
  • I didn't go to church this morning, but. judging from the livestream video on Farcebark, the singing was reasonably hearty, despite the small number actually attending the service...
  • We managed a moderately rousing rendition of "Bread of heaven" - masked, of course.
  • DardaDarda Shipmate
    Back to a "nearly normal" service in the building today. Everyone singing through masks except vocalists and wind instrumentalists in the music group.
    My Lighthouse Rend Collective
    The Rock Becky Drake, Nick Drake, Tim Hughes
    King of Kings, Majesty Jarrod Cooper
    The Blessing Chris Brown, Cody Carnes, Kari Jobe, Steven Furtick
  • CathscatsCathscats Shipmate
    We are currently visiting churches locally, a different one each week. (Not planning to MW as it would be obvious who the MWer was.)

Today we had
    Lord of all hopefulness,
    A new commandment I give unto you
    Shine Jesus shine (oh, yes)
    The Church’s one foundation.

We also had to listen to a recording of the Maranatha Singers twanging their way through something but I have forgotten what. Seemed an odd thing to do.
  • PuzzlerPuzzler Shipmate
    This morning we ( the choir only) sang
    Ye servants of God
    Brother, sister let me serve you
    For all the saints.

According to the online newsletter, the intention was for the last hymn to be sung outside by everyone ( pending PCC approval of a whole raft of decisions, mostly not changing anything of the current restrictions, except perhaps those related to singing). However, questions had been raised about the uneven ground, risk of people tripping up etc, so the assistant priest decided all should remain inside and sing behind masks.

Tonight sees the return of Evensong, though it will not be weekly.
  • Feast of St James the Great
    Today was the first opportunity for the congregation to sing since mid-March last year, a happy coincidence with a proper feast, so we made the most of it. Everyone, including the choir, was masked.

Setting
    Darke in F
    Anthems
    Tantum ergo Fauré
    Give us the wings of faith Bullock
    Hymns
    Hark, the sound of holy voices Deerhurst
    Lord, who shall sit beside thee * Christus der ist mein leben
    O Jesus, I have promised Wolvercote
    Palms of glory, raiment bright Palms of glory

* proper hymn for St James

The adult section of the choir was a bit below strength (7-2-2-3) and only 4 juniors; still, they sang well.
  • Today we had:

Praise, Praise, Praise the Lord/Louez Le Seigneur
    Praise Ye the Lord, the Almighty/Lobe Den Herren
    Spirit, Open My Heart/Wild Mountain Thyme
    Light Dawns on a Weary World/Temple of Peace

FWIW, we are masked.

• We had:
    By faith (Getty/Getty/Townend)
    Jesus' love is very wonderful (Rattle)
    Jesus be the centre (Frye)
    How deep the Father's love for us (Townend)
    How great is our our God (Tomlin et al.)
  • Jesus' love is very wonderful (Rattle)
    Wow!

• HeavenlyannieHeavenlyannie Shipmate
    edited July 2021
    Sung in the car park this evening after the service, accompanied by guitar; there were about 60 of us.
    Rescuer (Rend collective)
    What can wash away my sin? (Robert Lowry)
    He’s coming on the clouds/Lion and the lamb (Brian Johnson, Brenton Gifford Brown, Leeland Mooring)
  • 15 of us this morning singing behind masks. First singing since first lockdown, and just a little rusty.
    Rejoice, the Lord is King!
    Dear Lord and Father of Mankind
    Jesus Stand Among Us
    We have a Gospel to Proclaim

• Jesus' love is very wonderful (Rattle)
    Wow!
    I know, right? Well, it was for the kids and I suppose it fitted the text from Ephesians: "And I pray that you... may have power... to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ". It seemed to be the only part of the service some of the kids enjoyed, and the person leading the service asked for an encore. You just never know.
  • I know, right? Well, it was for the kids and I suppose it fitted the text from Ephesians: "And I pray that you... may have power... to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ".
    We'd have sung this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2u6ovshlBU

• We used to sing Jesus' love is very wonderful in Toddler Church with all the actions - aimed at pre-schoolers.
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    Argh! Don't mention action songs just before bedtime! You'll give me nightmares!
  • Too late! Sleep well.
  • When I saw Darda’s ‘My Lighthouse’ my immediate reaction was ‘did you do the actions?’.
    I go to a chari church so the adults are generally happy to join in actions. Many of us (including me) sign the songs anyway as we having signing at the front of church for songs and hymns.
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    When I saw Darda’s ‘My Lighthouse’ my immediate reaction was ‘did you do the actions?’.
    I go to a chari church so the adults are generally happy to join in actions. Many of us (including me) sign the songs anyway as we having signing at the front of church for songs and hymns.

I have had a visceral hatred of action songs for as long as I can remember. I wouldn't even do Head, Shoulders or the Hokey Cokey as a child.
  • KarlLB wrote: »
    When I saw Darda’s ‘My Lighthouse’ my immediate reaction was ‘did you do the actions?’.

I have had a visceral hatred of action songs for as long as I can remember. I wouldn't even do Head, Shoulders or the Hokey Cokey as a child.

But what if that _is_ what It's all about?

:smile:
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    KarlLB wrote: »

But what if that _is_ what It's all about?

:smile:

God be praised, for values of It for which That was what it was all about, I was able to live my life without It, despite occasional attempts to make me join in with It.

Bleurgh.

Interestingly both my sons (who have inherited my introversion) hated action songs as well, past toddlerhood, at any rate, while my daughter (who for some insane reason is an extravert, God alone knows how that happened!) loved them. I do recall that I hated them (and still do) because I felt, and would feel, an acute sense of embarrassment doing actions.
  • PuzzlerPuzzler Shipmate
    When I became a (wo)man, I put away childish things.
  • Pendragon wrote: »

(I doubt many weddings have We plough the fields as a hymn, but it makes sense if they're in farming.)

as an ex sailor we had Eternal Father Strong to Save...

• DardaDarda Shipmate

Not a great fan of action songs, but I do join in as I think it is important to let the children know we are all worshipping together during the first part of the service when they are present.
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    Darda wrote: »

Not a great fan of action songs, but I do join in as I think it is important to let the children know we are all worshipping together during the first part of the service when they are present.

Apart from any children who hate them, of course. I consider my role, should I be unfortunate enough to be put in this situation, to be to stand motionless in solidarity with them.
  • I know, right? Well, it was for the kids and I suppose it fitted the text from Ephesians: "And I pray that you... may have power... to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ".
    Thanks. Will pass that on.

• Hmm. Our monthly Messy Church thingy (though it's not called that) sometimes involves *action songs*, and AFAIK the Yoof present quite like them. Fair enough, and FatherHelpingUsOut, who often leads the time of worship, is of the Evangelical Perswasion, so knows quite a few.

I'm afraid that I, like @KarlLB, remain motionless and dumb during such moments if they occur in the main Sunday service, which has been known :scream:

There is a place for such things...
    Thanks. Will pass that on.

Coming up (again) in Holiday Bible Club next month. It's a great favourite.
  • Something of a mixed bag of hymns for this coming Sunday:

Glorious things of thee are spoken
    (to the tune Austria adapted by Papa Haydn from a Croatian folk melody - I didn't know that)
    Deck thyself, my soul, with gladness (to the tune Schmucke dich by Johann Cruger)
    My Lord, what love is this (Graham Kendrick)
    God is walking working his porpoise purpose out (words as altered by Michael Forster)

The Kendrick song will, I think, probably be sung just by our organist and her husband, as I doubt if many others will know it. I may well be wrong, of course!
  • Baptist TrainfanBaptist Trainfan Shipmate
    edited July 2021
    I feel sorry for the porpoise.

I'm not sure that anyone should be decking anyone else, with gladness or otherwise. (Of course you are allowed to use the deck on The Ark - assuming that paint has all dried).
  • I feel sorry for the porpoise.

I'm not sure that anyone should be decking anyone else, with gladness or otherwise. (Of course you are allowed to use the deck on The Ark - assuming that paint has all dried).

Hehe.

Yes, the paint has dried (just as well, given today's rain).

Deck thyself etc. is a lovely hymn, with a fine tune, but IMHO it's actually quite difficult to sing well. I hope our organist is in good voice, as she often leads the singing whilst playing the organ with both hands, and both feet - talk about multi-tasking!

I expect you know the hymn, but yur tiz:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=zUJWZqw73WE

17thC Lutheran, I guess.
  • Actually I don't know it ... that change of time signature in the middle is tricky, as are some of the intervals. It's by Johann Cruger, apparently. Reminds me a bit of "All My Heart This Night Rejoices".