Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Animal companions in our happy homes

Comments

• PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Good luck, Keir, and good luck Boogie with his successor.

Send pictures!!! :smiley:
  • BoogieBoogie Heaven Host
    Here’s a video of Keir and Tatze zooooooming - Keir wins easily, he’s not even trying!
  • Molly and family survived the three day new fence confinement. Now she is having a great time exploring every inch of the new fence, no doubt looking for an escape hole. Now there is none.
  • RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host, Glory
    Molly and family survived the three day new fence confinement. Now she is having a great time exploring every inch of the new fence, no doubt looking for an escape hole. Now there is none.

I'm sure she's disappointed, but it's a Good Thing.

• I just dropped Pooka off at the vet for a dental check up under anaesthetic. I felt so bad as I left. She had her tail between her legs and looked terrified. Plus was already cranky because she didn’t get breakfast. Gah! I feel like a cruel woman! Now I have to wait for at least 4-5 hours, maybe more, til they call me to say she’s ok.

Going to get her some new red fleecy pyjamas as a reward.
    I have just returned from a ten-day trip to Japan (and am now suffering from epic jet lag), and was heartened by the way the cats appeared within moments of my entering the house, and how they have been unstintingly affectionate since then. I know they'll go back to their usual soon, but it is heart-melting. (I am so very glad that I didn't return the Junior Cat!)

edited July 2018
    My old boss had a cat who would cordially ignore her for a week after she came back from holiday. :mrgreen:

eta: glad to hear you're back safely, now take your time in getting over the jet-lag!
    Thank you, Piglet! This is the worst-ever jet lag, but I trust it will go away soon. And the cats are here to help me adjust.

edited July 2018
    I’m doing a Vlog of the new puppy with audio description for my blind friends.

This is the first episode.

:)
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    The older dogs so well trained, little Spencer is adorable.
  • Thank you for that, Boogie. Lovely.
    Tatze and Spencer are becoming best of friends :mrgreen:

Here is the second part of his Vlog.
  • Boogie wrote: »
    Tatze and Spencer are becoming best of friends :mrgreen:
    Such beautiful faces!
    :heart:

They're utterly adorable! :heart:
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    Beautiful and good dogs!!
    They do look as if they are bonded siblings and both so handsome!
  • That is such a great photo.
  • So cute.
  • Boogie what beautiful, lovely dogs!

Hoped no-one would mind me sharing a little about my lurcher, Danny. He's a rescue, maybe 11 or 12 - definitely a senior dog; found starving, covered in mange back in 2012. I've had him since then: failed foster!

He's got pancreatitis, the vet thinks. Got a scan coming up later this week; and is on liver support pills. Although he shows great interest in treats and 'human' food, it's been hell trying to find dog food that both he and the vet approve of. So he's gone from being a complete gorb, eating round him like an eating machine, to a dog that would rather lose weight and starve than eat the quality prescription tucker in his bowl. He's also on pain relief for his tender back area where he's a bit stiff.

I know the awful day will have to come some time. Just don't know if this is acutely serious, or just a phase until we find a new menu for him. The vet seems flummoxed, too. He seems relatively fine, apart from the weight-loss, and radically changed appetite. And he clearly wants to eat 'nice' things.

Anyway, it's boiled chicken and rice at the moment in an attempt to increase the calories. Just wanted to offload that. Hope that's okay.
    Of course it’s OK.

I really hope you find food that’s good for him that he also enjoys. They are so much a part of the family it’s really hard to see them unwell :cry:
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Today is Georgie-Porgy's visit to the vet. She is having blood tests to check her thyroid levels as she is on a transdermal gel to lower them. She's going to hate being caged again as she's recently been to the cattery. That time she managed to get under a couch that's only about 6 inches high and we were both upset by the eperience.

We are seeing a different vet this time and I am hoping he is a bit easier to understand than the last one who tended to talk fast, which I find difficult with my hearing loss. She was a bit condescending too - I wanted to say, it's my hearing that's not working, not my mind. Unfortunately today I think it's both. :confused:
    {{{Anselmina & Danny, and Huia & GP, f&f}}}
  • Curious question how often do shipmates take their adult dogs in for a routine check up? My Molly is in good health and is given monthly heart worm treatment and all of her shots when due, but vet now wants to see her every 6 months for a wellness check rather then once a year. As I only go for a wellness check to my MD once a year this seems to often to me. Of course I would take her in right away if anything seemed wrong.
  • I think it was when my dog turned 10 that the Vet wanted to see her twice a year for "Senior Wellness Exams." You only go once a year (as do I), but I know if something doesn't seem right about myself -- my dog doesn't, or she can't always communicate it if she does. She's worth the expense of twice-yearly exams.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    I watched Georgie-Houdini-Porgy slip out of a window that I didn't think she could open any further before our appointment. Luckily she ran into the back yard, rather than down the driveway and I caught her. I let her sneak into her favourite cupboard to hide until the pet-taxi came. Then, when I put her into her cage she yowl so loudly the other 2 cats that hang about the section showed up to watch😹🙀😼

The vet was lovely and her medications have not increased, but her kidneys are a bit dodgy. She is on 6 monthly blood tests. My own Doctor has said it would be good if I could remember my medication as well as I do hers.

I need to synchronise her shots with the blood tests so I don't end up paying for 3 visits a year. Her vet costs twice as much as my Doctor.
    Curious question how often do shipmates take their adult dogs in for a routine check up? My Molly is in good health and is given monthly heart worm treatment and all of her shots when due, but vet now wants to see her every 6 months for a wellness check rather then once a year. As I only go for a wellness check to my MD once a year this seems to often to me. Of course I would take her in right away if anything seemed wrong.

I take Tatze to be weighed once a month, she should be 26Kg and easily creep up. It also keeps her used to going in the vets and keeps associations positive.

She gets a check up once a year when she has her booster vaccination. Last time I was so glad we’d had her checked over as she had a cracked tooth we’d completely missed. She had to have it out under general anaesthetic as it was cracked right down to the root. Luckily it hadn’t been like that long, the vet said.

(Anselmina and Danny)

My small half-Pomeranian, known as The Chub, has been bringing up bile for a couple of days and we are waiting for a vet appointment. She's lively and her appetite is fine, but at her age (nine years) we need to check out any upsets.
  • Two dogs have died from rat poison within 3 blocks and a third is in intensive care in the neighbourhood. Someone tossed things over fences. There's a barky dog down the street, these 2 weren't barkers. All we can do is not go to the off-lead areas or keep doggie close. Terrible.
    That is horrible, NpNp. It’s tantamount to murder.
    NoProphet, that kind of malicious evil is horrible and, in my experience, damages any sense of neighborhood community. I hope the person responsible is identified and charged.
    The vet thinks my small dog has bilious vomiting syndrome (such a appealing term) and I am trying smaller snacky meals throughout the day, not more food but evenly spaced so that she doesn't have an empty stomach for several hours. She didn't throw up yesterday, so fingers crossed.
  • Boogie wrote: »
    I’m doing a Vlog of the new puppy with audio description for my blind friends.

This is the first episode.

:)

I went downstairs this afternoon to be out of the way for a Twilight Inspection of my place which apparently went quite well. Aa I went to open very heavy front door, a young girl in early twenties ran back to hold it open for me. Her uniform top said Guide Dogs Association so I told her about Boogie’s beautiful dogs and the work she does in training. She positively beamed, she apparently spends a lot of time taking her charges from the Institute into many and varied situations. They don’t live at her place so I do not know the ages, but she was very happy to hear of Boogie and her charges.

• Positive thoughts and best wishes to MaryLouise and The Chub, and others here whose dogs are fighting their own battles.
    A few months ago I was in despair over the resentment of (and resultant warfare by) my Senior Cat for my Junior Cat. I am happy to report that the SC finally came to terms with the fact of the JC, and everyone has been behaving. And, since I had my surgery on Monday, the JC has been my constant and comforting companion - she’s there, snuggling, when I awaken in the night. Deo gratias!
  • Hurray!
    Rossweisse -- such a relief when cats declare a truce!

My small dog known as the Chub seems to be much better and has welcomed with gusto the small snacky meals at regular intervals through the day. I know people say you can't teach an old dog new tricks but if the change is in the dog's interests, they learn very quickly!
    Hurrah for the Chub!
  • Hoping things keep improving for the Chub. And well done to the warring cats!
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Rossweisse, I find there is something really comforting waking up to find my fat'n'fuffy furball snuggling. I did read something about the vibrations of cats' purring being on the right frequency to promote healing, but I'm not sure how valid it is, but it definitely soothes the mind.
    A friend who lost her cat listens to a recording of his happy purring and still finds it soothing.

The Chub is doing well and thriving on the new 'frequent small snacky meals' regime, no more puking.
    There is definitely something comforting about cats' snuggling and purring. No matter how sick I may be, it makes me feel better.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Georgie-Porgy's purring definitely helped me through the quakes.

I'm glad that the care facility where my brother with Parkinson's lives allows him to keep his cat, PudPud. She has a special purpose built ramp outside his window that leads to an enclosed courtyard.
    Oh, Huia, that's wonderful. (My cats are the number one and number two reasons that I want to stay in my home until the end of my life.)
  • What a great idea for cat and brother, Huia.
  • Cat has been trained. Was in her deafness meowling in the night and waking us, and also insisting if door open on walking on us, particularly starting about 3:30 a.m. Wants to walk on me and snuggle with she. We started giving an extra dose of old kitty cat food, 2 tablespoons at bed time followed by a line of 3 hairball cat treats (cat cocaine). Then she gets tucked in beside not-so-brave doggie, who I think old cat may think is mummy. The doggie is mid-sized rescue with substantial retriever and substantial herder in her who is now 6 or 7, the cat is nigh on 20. We had 2 of each, but it isn't fair to get another young anything when cat is so old. Still have to carry the cat when walking the dog. Jealousy.
  • Gath fach wrote: »
    I'm jealous, if I ever get any land I'd like to get goats

Make sure you smile on their right...

Goats 'drawn to happy human faces' - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-45336330
    @NOprophet_NØprofit, what kind of hairball cat treats do you recommend?
  • Rossweisse wrote: »
    @NOprophet_NØprofit, what kind of hairball cat treats do you recommend?

The vet recommended "Feline Greenies - Smart Bites - Hairball Control". A while ago I ate one by accident actually (not very good). Scanning the ingredients, I can't make out what one or combo of them are helpful.

Also we were instructed to get a brush. She's tolerating grooming like doggie does. Doggie becomes a little jealous back, but she gets her turn too. All of our cats and dogs over the years have been sucky little snugglers, jealous and highly supportive. They're some of the nicest people I know.
    Having tried many brushes, I am happy to recommend the Furminator. (Further proof that it's a good product comes from a lawyer friend whose firm has the Furminator account, and deals with constant attempts by others to rip off the concept.)