Ship of Fools: St John the Baptist, Timber Hill, Norwich, England

imageShip of Fools: St John the Baptist, Timber Hill, Norwich, England

More Catholic than the Catholics – reverent, fun and distracting

Read the full Mystery Worshipper report here

Comments

• A few years ago there was a URC church in Ipswich with a poster outside (in the correct colours) saying: "The Minister follows Colchester United. Who do you follow?" Amazingly it didn't get vandalised!
  • I have a complicated love/hate relationship with the Anglican Church, but if anything could encourage me to give it another go - it would be a report like this. Thank you.
  • Amanda B ReckondwythAmanda B Reckondwyth Mystery Worship Editor
    A few years ago there was a URC church in Ipswich with a poster outside (in the correct colours) saying: "The Minister follows Colchester United. Who do you follow?" Amazingly it didn't get vandalised!

I'm surprised no one added an "m" after "who."
  • EnochEnoch Shipmate
    Odd that it should have described last Sunday as "the fifth Sunday in Ordinary Time". It wasn't. It was the 4th Sunday before Lent, and Ordinary Time didn't start until the previous Sunday, 3rd February.
  • Ah well - some of these A-C shrines are a bit of a law unto themselves...
    :wink:

I understand that their new priest starts next month, after a quite short interregnum. Lucky them!

If I lived in Norwich, I might go to Timberhill now and then, but there are a few other rather more inclusive High Church parishes in the city, though Timberhill's encouragement of LGBT+ is a Good Thing IMHO.

An online selection of photos by David White depicts the worship of some of Norwich's city churches, including Timberhill, a few years ago:
    https://davidwhitephotography.co.uk/galleries/churches/
  • ClimacusClimacus Shipmate
    May some wise person explain the difference between "swell" and "great" in organ playing?

(if I should google, apologies; I generally like to hear wise shipmates explain...)

Wonderful report. I felt like I was there. And I too would not mind a visit -- though I may take a thermos to avoid the instant!
    An online selection of photos by David White depicts the worship of some of Norwich's city churches, including Timberhill, a few years ago:
    https://davidwhitephotography.co.uk/galleries/churches/
    Thank you, BF!
  • Amanda B ReckondwythAmanda B Reckondwyth Mystery Worship Editor
    Climacus wrote: »
    May some wise person explain the difference between "swell" and "great" in organ playing?
    Swell refers to pipes enclosed in a swell chamber -- wooden shutters that can be opened and closed via a foot pedal to increase or decrrease the volume of the sound. On a two-manual organ, the swell pipes are usually played via the upper keyboard.

Great refers to unenclosed pipes -- the main source of the organ sound. The great organ is played via the lower keyboard.
    Thank you muchly, Miss Amanda. And thanks for all your work publishing these reports too.