Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Ship of Fools: Sacred Heart, Shanklin, Isle of Wight, England

imageShip of Fools: Sacred Heart, Shanklin, Isle of Wight, England

Confusing liturgy - and communion ran out!

Read the full Mystery Worshipper report here

Comments

• Just dropping in to say that there are some interesting comments on this Report on the 'Holy Week experiences' thread in Ecclesiantics:
    https://forums.shipoffools.com/discussion/1491/holy-week-experiences#latest

Hope the linky works!
  • Catholics don't begin mass with the "Holy Ghost", we say "Holy Spirit".
  • Unless you were there, you don't know for sure. I wasn't there; I have to take the reporter's word for what was said.
  • Unless you were there, you don't know for sure. I wasn't there; I have to take the reporter's word for what was said.
    I think you need to go back to the reporter then. It is unheard of for a Catholic liturgy to start with that in mainstream Catholicism.
  • That may be, but Miss Amanda ain't going nowhere!
  • caerdeonmancaerdeonman Shipmate Posts: 7
    With very large congregations it is often the case that the chalices are emptied before the Hosts run out. It is then normal practice to "wash up" whilst the Hosts are still being distributed. In the RCC, only Communion under one kind is required. Hymns are rarely if ever announced, and as the Mass is virtually the same week on week, many do not bother with Mass sheets either. Non-Catholics often have difficulty understanding Catholic culture. Why not celebrate that the church was packed with people participating in the Mass?
  • ForthviewForthview Shipmate
    I'd like to congratulate Isla Wight on two 'Martha' moments. She tells us that her only reason for being there was to keep a 'staunch' Catholic company. She tells us elsewhere on the boards of another' Martha like' deed which she undertook during the service. Hopefully these good deeds did not prevent her from taking the time to listen to the Word of God and to rejoice on Easter Sunday in the proclamation of the Resurrection of the Lord.
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited May 2019
    Amen!

And, just to stick my Episcopal Nose in, it's not unknown for Other Churches to be discombobulated somewhat by an unexpectedly large attendance (would that it happened more often!).

However...might it be possible, in future, for a server or an usher to keep an eye on the crowd, and just warn the priest that he might need to put some more hosts into the ciborium, prior to the Mass beginning?

This may, of course, have been done anyway, but still with not quite enough. I can't help thinking that Our Lord (and His Blessed Mother) would rejoice more at the number of worshippers, than lament at the all-too-human (and slight) logistical problems!
  • ForthviewForthview Shipmate
    Amen !
  • St GermanSt German Shipmate
    I fear that the confusion in following the service and the unfriendliness afterwards is characteristic of the tendency of many churches to be focused on their 'insiders' who know the ropes.