Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Ship of Fools: St Matthew's, Westminster, London

imageShip of Fools: St Matthew's, Westminster, London

Solemn, quiet - and lonely - on this chilly Ash Wednesday morning

Read the full Mystery Worshipper report here

Comments

• Box PewBox Pew Shipmate
    Thanks for your report, which reminds me that a re-visit to St Matthews is in order.
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited May 2019
    Always worth a visit (or re-visit), though the small weekday attendances must be a bit dispiriting sometimes. I've been to a midday Mass where my 3 friends and I added some weight to the priest and 2 others who were there!

I recall witnessing the fire which destroyed the original church (I worked in An Orfis nearby), and I went to one of the services following the rebuilding. Cardinal Basil Hume also attended, IIRC.
  • Box PewBox Pew Shipmate
    True, Bishop - though this was an 8am service and ashing before breakfast is never likely to be a crowd-puller.
  • Yes, and I daresay they had more worshippers at the other services on Ash Wednesday.

My point still applies, though - daily Mass in the C of E is not a crowd-puller.

Not that that matters, perhaps - worship is offered, prayer is offered, fellowship is offered - and that's of unquantifiable importance, IMHO.