Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Decluttering support thread

Comments

• HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Seen on a sticker I saw many years ago; Reality is for people who lack imagination.
  • Golden KeyGolden Key Shipmate, Glory
    Profuse apologies. Realized that I wrote some of that post about the towering stacks badly. It wasn't clear, and may have caused hurt.

The trigger/spoiler alert was meant to refer to the "Midsomer Mysteries" episode I referenced. The paper towers were the least of that family's problems, and the other problems
    (completely irresponsible parenting and advocacy of "free love", back in the day, leading to sibling incest, a child, and--later--murder)
    most definitely would trigger a lot of people.

I posted about the clutter aspect because I thought it relevant, and I figured it unlikely that any of us are quite at that extreme. I thought it might bring a little "OMG!" relief about our own decluttering labors.

I especially apologize to ThunderBunk and fineline. I wasn't trying to judge any of us. And I wasn't trying to say that only drug-damaged hippies have clutter. That just happened to be a factor with those TV characters.

Believe me, I've got clutter, too. That's why I'm here.

Again, apologies.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    GK -I know I commented on here after I had read a book you mentioned Unf*ck Your Habitat and said it had been helpful. Now I'm putting it into practice and it's even more brilliant. I have made a departure from the author's suggestions though because she suggests leaving the floor until last. I find a quick floor tidy first helps things look less chaotic which lifts my spirits. Of course the floor still needs doing properly at the end. Thank goodness for long handled scrubbing brushes - one of the best inventions ever for those of us with aging knees.

I am also in the process of collecting the needlework stash so I share it at a swap the library is organising. I plan to dump and run. :smiley:
  • Piglet wrote: »
    * most of which she reckoned were great antiques; when D's father (who was an auctioneer and knew about that sort of thing) visited them he said afterwards that he thought it was mostly a load of junk.

When we moved, part of the deal with our vendors was two (brown) wardrobes - obviously fairly old as they had originally had hooks rather than hanging rails! However, the prospect of trying to get them down the (steep and narrow) stairs in one or even two pieces was too much for us, so we assumed that if they had been worth anything the previous owners would have taken them.

Mr. S has spent several happy afternoons chopping the first one up for kindling - we now have enough to last us next winter as well. And the Intrepid Grandson's room looks about twice as big...

Mrs. S, who does not care for dark brown furniture

• EigonEigon Shipmate
    I've just been inserting a new (to me) glass fronted cabinet in my living room. A house down the road had a couple of pieces of furniture outside for anyone to take for free, and another neighbour kindly came out and helped me carry it.
    The reason this is a decluttering is because I have slowly been upgrading my shelving from loose planking on flower pots to proper shelves, so I could take down some of the planks for something more sturdy.
    Also, it nicely matches another glass fronted cabinet I got when a neighbouring bookseller was clearing out before he moved to Spain!
  • RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host, Glory
    Smudgie wrote: »
    600 books now raising money for Action for Children and other worthwhile causes.... now to sort the bookshelves to hide the gaps so that I am not tempted to replace them.
    Brava, Smudgie!

• finelinefineline Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Golden Key, no problem at all, and no need to apologise to me - I wasn't offended or hurt. More amused, at recognising this stacking thing as something I do. I'm sure it is dysfunctional, and I'm not offended by that. I know my book stacking is daft, and I do have big difficulties with tidying and organising my home. Maybe more than most people in this thread - I don't know. And I learnt a new term from your post - 'consensus reality.' Which I may well not be fully in touch with - I'm not always aware of accepted norms.
  • Three bags of books, 3 pictures and a bag of Things to charity shops today, although it hasn’t had much impact at home. Not surprising as it all came from the roof space, but part of me feels I should notice more space down stairs.
  • A new refrigerator was just delivered, so it was a good time to clean out those things from the freezer that I don't even remember putting in there, and organizing the rest as I put it back. Luckily we're having a cold*, wet spell, so when I emptied the refrigerator and freezer I just packed up everything and put it outside to stay nice and cold.

Oh, and I cleared out a LOT of old photographs the other day. I was ruthless!

*I've heard reports of snow flurries around Phoenix yesterday!
  • We decluttered a buddleia from the garden today (and promptly replaced it with a hibiscus)

It feels wonderful to be doing Stuff in our new garden!
    I sent off two big shopping bags of Shreddables with my lawyer (who has become a friend) when she stopped by for a glass of wine today.

And in continuing to go through boxes, I found the cassette tapes I have long been seeking, including the recording of a major recital I gave. Deo gratias! Now if they can just be digitized successfully...

• BoogieBoogie Heaven Host
    Next week my wardrobe!

I don’t have a great many clothes, so that part won’t take long.

But oh my word what a mess - the bottom of my wardrobe is a dumping ground for anything and everything that has no home. 😵🧐🙄🤪
  • Have you been looking in my wardrobe, Boogie? I am gradually sorting since moving.
  • To my amazement, my man noticed that my bookshelves are now filled only one book deep and was extremely touched when he realised that I had done it for him. Next on the agenda, my bedroom - currently still containing lots of stuff which was relocated out of the front room while we decorated it ...... several months ago! My man is away for a fortnight and I would love for him to come home and find it done. Annoyingly, I have the motivation to make a start on it today (somehow the spring sunshine does that, doesn't it) but have a sermon to write rather urgently first.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    There's nothing like have an inducement Smudgie. :blush:
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Go Smudgie! :smiley:
  • Shockingly, we have 80% decluttered the downstairs bathroom and it has stayed that way for four days. This is huge, as the deaths in our family have left me feeling like a burned-over vacant lot and just as fruitful. (I don't mind being a vacant lot right now; there's still plenty of time before spring comes and the need to actually Produce™ something.)
  • Wesley JWesley J Circus Host
    edited February 2019
    I want to have an enducement Smudgie as well! Where can I get one?
  • Oh look, while cleaning out the pass through to the garage I found my water color crayons.
    I spent 2 hours this morning working on an art project that I had not touched for over a week and I feel so accomplished. :blush: I have a feeling something is wrong with this statement on a declutter thread, but would sound great on an art thread.
    Shockingly, we have 80% decluttered the downstairs bathroom and it has stayed that way for four days. ...
    Brava! That is huge, especially under the circs. Hang in there, honey.

• While emptying a box under my computer table I found a note given to me around 18 yrs ago by a manager when I left the department- it was such a lovely, encouraging message and I’m so glad to have found it.
  • Rossweisse wrote: »
    Shockingly, we have 80% decluttered the downstairs bathroom and it has stayed that way for four days. ...
    Brava! That is huge, especially under the circs. Hang in there, honey.

Hanging! You too, Ross. PS: It's still tidy. [whirling smiley]
  • la vie en rougela vie en rouge Purgatory Host, Circus Host
    Hello everyone. I could do with some moral support.

My wardrobe is bursting at the seams. Finding anything in it is a nightmare. I know I need to clear it out and it would improve my life if I did, but…

The reason it’s bursting at the seams is maternity clothes. If I cleared them out, it would be fine. However, I am desperately resisting this task because dealing with the maternity clothes brings up all sorts of very traumatic memories to do with Captain Pyjama’s highly premature birth. They’ve been hanging there for a year now and they still give me evil looks from their coat hangers.

Is there any way of making this job less upsetting or do I just have to grit my teeth and force myself to do it in the face of the howling heebie-jeebies?
  • Do you have any pregnant friends who could use those clothes? If so, could you make the clear out into a shared thing with those friends with wine and nibbles, with them taking anything they can use?

If you don't clear them out they're still sitting there giving you evil looks.
  • Ask a friend to get those out of there. Failing that, hire someone. Seriously. It's worth the money, speaking as a person living with PTSD. If they can't ID them by shape and tag, have them do the handling of them and simply show you for ID from across the room. Then have them dump the clothes on charity and go out for coffee.
  • Would having Captain Pyjama’s near by while doing the task with a friend help ease the bad memories? I agree with others, you need not do this alone.
    Could you enlist the help of M. en rouge (possibly holding Captain Pyjamas for extra moral support)?
    I think we've come up with a plan. If I can deal with just throwing the stuff in a bag, husband en rouge will charge himself with selling the clothes at some moment when I'm not around and then the money will be earmarked for a nice treat (not the general budget).
    That sounds very wise.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Good idea. I'm a firm believer in treats in difficult situations.
  • Nothing quite like finding mice have been at things to ensure to swift declutter......
    ((shudder))
  • Golden KeyGolden Key Shipmate, Glory
    Glad people found UFYH helpful. :)

I'm unexpectedly having to use the "Emergency Cleaning" section (tucked into the "Cleaning Basics" section). Keep your fingers crossed for me, please. Thanks!
  • My neighbor just told me she is giving up one thing each day of Lent into a box and at the end of the 40 days will have 40 items to donate to the local thrift shop. I am going to try and add that to my Lenten practice. At this point I am not sure I have 40 things, but we will see how it goes.
    That sounds like rather a good idea - Lenten practice and declutterment in one go!
  • I have a kitchen hutch that I have no room for in my kitchen, so it ended up crowding the guest room. I keep meaning to call a charity to give it away, but never get around to making the call, because I was not in the mood to sort through stuff. Today there was a sign on the bulletin board by our community mail box reading, I so need a white kitchen hutch will pay $100.00 for a good one. Bingo- I sent a picture to poster and they are picking it up tomorrow. Win, win, win room restored to oder, money as well, and I was forced to sort through all the odds and ends I had been storing in it, much of which will be donated. It has been a good day.
    Win win indeed - but what is a kitchen hutch? 🤔
  • FirenzeFirenze Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    A couple of weeks ago the desk in my sewing/craft room literally fell to bits. (Said bits are now on the landing to go to friend with wood-burning stove).

I have finished assembling replacement (and much sturdier) table. So it now remains to tackle all the stuff that was sitting on, under or around the old one. I think I need to accept that I am never going to recycle all the clothes in those six boxes.

Then there’s the yarn stash....

And the lifetime collection of earrings....

And the sheaves of watercolour paintings....

And the boxes of unclassified stuff....
  • "Win win indeed - but what is a kitchen hutch?"
    Is it what my mother would have called a meat safe? I miss hers, but couldn't face explaining to Chilperic why I wanted it. In our home it was really the cheese safe - anything to keep that vile blue stuff in one place.
  • I googled, we'd call a kitchen hutch either a sideboard or a welsh dresser - both forms were shown.

@Firenze I feel your pain - but next week on the Sewing Bee is recycling clothes, so it might be worth waiting until after Tuesday to see if you are inspired. (Personally I want to get hold of some tents for the ripstop fabric, because I always want waterproof lightweight bags and currently need a summer coat).

Can you sell/donate your paintings?
    I have a tidy wardrobe. Observe me standing like a puppy waiting for you to be proud of me.

Actually once the evil maternity clothes were thrown in a bag and out of sight I actually quite enjoyed it. I even cleared out non-maternity clothes that I don't wear any more.
    I have a tidy wardrobe. Observe me standing like a puppy waiting for you to be proud of me.

Actually once the evil maternity clothes were thrown in a bag and out of sight I actually quite enjoyed it. I even cleared out non-maternity clothes that I don't wear any more.

Hurrah - we’ll done @la vie en rouge !

:mrgreen:

edited March 2019
    Well done, Graven Image and La Vie! :smile:
    I did it! Well mostly did it.
    • Large bin bag filled with charity shop donations
    • Equally large bag with hopelessly ravelled yarn, never gonna be finished projects, scraps and debris
    • Recyclable fabric boxes reduced to four
    • Spools tidied into basket, packets of needles into a bag, dressmaking sundries into another - all stored in one box, along with big scissors (x4)
    • Knitting yarn sorted into future projects/current projects/still potentially viable projects/unassigned but could be useful - bagged accordingly and in two large baskets
    • A great many buttons, picture hooks, safety pins, batteries, sticking plasters, beads, curtain hooks, rubbers, pens and scented tealights appropriately rehomed.

Having been managing for years with a solitary darning needle, I find I have fourteen.
  • In my innocence I had no idea that darning needles had a breeding season...
  • LothlorienLothlorien Glory
    edited March 2019
    Well done Firenze, especialy getting rid of the large mass of tangled yar. I persevered for weeks with a mess and then threw it out. My favourite yarn shop sent me a chibi and now every time I find a darning needle , it is safely stored away and I know exactly where it is if needed.
  • Sorry can not seem to link to picture of a kitchen hutch, a google search should help. It is a cabinet with a top, you use it to store dishes, silverware and such. Can be used in kitchen or dinning room. And well done Firenze and la vie en Rouge you should feel very proud.
    In my innocence I had no idea that darning needles had a breeding season...

It’s possible they are the offspring of wire coat hangers.
    That would make sense. I wish wooden coat-hangers would breed as readily as wire ones do: whenever I buy a nice cardigan or coat, I want something more substantial than a wire hanger to put it on, and the nice big wooden ones have been used up.

I know, I know - I could buy some, but buying coat-hangers seems almost immoral*.

* except when we moved to Fredericton and realised that we'd folded all our stuff into suitcases, and forgotten to pack any hangers, so when we moved into the flat we had to make a trip to the dollar-store ... :blush:
    Firenze wrote: »
    In my innocence I had no idea that darning needles had a breeding season...

It’s possible they are the offspring of wire coat hangers.
    No, according to the great Bill Vaughan (American humorist; worked for the Kansas City Star; wrote great essays and squiblets that ran under the title "Starbeams;" won a Pulitzer), wire coat hangers are related to safety pins. The proof, he said, was that you can buy boxes of metal safety pins, but they always vanish.

Meanwhile, you can clean out your closets of wire coat hangers, but the next time you open the door the rack is covered with them. The solution is that the safety pins are the larval form of wire coat hangers.