Decluttering support thread

Comments

• cgichardcgichard Shipmate
    When I came to Australia in 1975, I left an accumulation of papers (letters, old university essays and exam papers etc.) in a storage area under the house. A burst pipe turned them into black mould, which my tenant dug in around the roses; she told me they flowered very well that year.

When the opportunity arose, I bought the flat I was renting here (and am still living in), so that I didn't have to move or declutter.
  • NenyaNenya All Saints Host, Ecclesiantics & MW Host
    Piglet wrote: »
    David's parents, on one trip to visit us in Northern Ireland, brought with them a medium-sized bookshelf's worth of copies of The Organ
    *giggles childishly*

My mum was quite minimalist so when it came to clearing the family home after she died it was not too difficult (we had house clearance for the last bits) apart from the books. I brought quite a few away with me, some went with my brother to his retirement flat, some went to a charity shop but a lot simply went into a skip at the local recycling centre. I cried long and hard about that.

Mr Nen is after moving house and I am all for downsizing but he insists we haven't finished upsizing yet. This means that if it happens and he predeceases me I'll be in even more trouble. :flushed:
  • PuzzlerPuzzler Shipmate
    Yay! I have had a positive response re books from an organisation which sends them to pastors overseas. That should hopefully take care of a hundred or so. They are quite picky though, very conservative theologically. They want photos first, so that will be next week’s task, when I can get near the shelves again.
    My father’s books went to a nearby institution supporting Christian teachers. They did not quibble, though what they did with them on receipt was none of my business.
    A friend has just dropped by and relieved me of two books. Leaving about 700 still to disperse, but two books to a friend is good.

I showed her round the house, together with some “ before” photos. She said “Now I understand what you are going through” .
    That felt so good.

Apart from the seven crates in the hall, the house is tidier than it has been for months, but it will get worse again before it gets better, as I have a month to do a lot more sorting before the decorator comes.
    Kitchen cupboards today.
  • North East QuineNorth East Quine Purgatory Host
    Today I gathered together all my toiletries from my bathroom / shower room / bedroom / handbag, sorted them into categories and tidied them back into wherever they'd be most useful.

I have quite a collection of unopened stuff, which came as part of various sets. The unopened stuff includes a "glow essence" a "youth serum" a "tightening cream" something with a "lifting formula" and a "skin primer." I have no idea WTF these are, but I'm going to give them a go and see if they result in a new, improved, radiant, youthful Quine.
  • DoublethinkDoublethink Admin, 8th Day Host
    Make sure you check the use by date, and the how long after you opened it you can use it dates. (It always turns out you’ll have had them longer than you think.)
    I have just slathered myself in "Youth Serum" and had to break the seal, so it should be ok. I think I got it in 2022, as part of a set which also contained something I did use. There's an opened pot of a face mask which I won't risk on my face. I will do a spot test on my arms, and give my dry elbows a face mask if the spot test is ok.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    I tried some moisturizer I've had for a while and Aroha (cat) decided I needed a wash!
    I’ve been trying to get my head round skin care lately - the marketing blather takes a lot of wading through. I might start a thread.
    Having tried out the "Youth Serum" I have concluded it's just an overnight moisturiser. If it had called itself that, I'd have used it before now.

I tried a "lip stain" on the back of my hand, and it won't come off. It looks like a burn - as though I was taking something out of the oven and skliffed my hand off a hot rack.
    edited March 21
    An oil based cleanser would probably get that off - or swarfega.
    What has everyone else done with their Covid face-masks? There are 23 cloth masks in an awkward drawer in the North East porch. I'm not particularly bothered about emptying the drawer to use for anything else, but I'd be interested to know what others have done.

(The drawer only opens 2 inches before hitting another piece of furniture; opening it fully means moving furniture. Hence, I've no pressing urge to use the drawer for anything else.)
    I am keeping them for a) respiratory infections and b) the next pandemic.
  • me too.
  • BroJamesBroJames Purgatory Host
    Repurpose/upcycle as skimpy bikinis? (Obvs not with disposable masks.)
  • Heh. I've seen "Hamster hammocks" suggested.
  • Keeping mine.
    I'll hang on to them. I might sew one onto my camp blanket as a memento of 2020.
    BroJames wrote: »
    Repurpose/upcycle as skimpy bikinis? (Obvs not with disposable masks.)

Even if I stitched all 23 together, I couldn't produce a bikini large enough to be decent.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    I have a small bundle of cloth masks in a paper bag in the drawer of my bedside table. As it's not particularly cramped in there, they may as well stay.
  • FirenzeFirenze Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Another cold driech day here. In the morning shepherded the roomba through doing the bedroom. Or perhaps that should be Sherpa'ed as that room is the Everest of vacuuming (under the immovable bed particularly). It took 3 empties of the bin plus cleaning the brushes. But now it has, generally, taken the top few inches of dust off, I hoping it will cope better.

Early dinner as Mr F giving remote after-dinner speech later.
  • Wow, good work roomba! I hope the after dinner speech went well. Decluttering has paused here at present. A few boxes of stuff hanging around, I hope to take some things next week. If he cannot attend with me, I'll at least get Cheery husband to help me load up the car on Easter Monday, that way I can hit the auction house with the stuff early Tuesday - their days for intake are Monday and Tuesday
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    I'm hoping I can persuade a friend with a SUV and a trailer to take me and my rubbish to the dump after Easter. Bribery often works so I will freeze some of the stew I made for tea tonight to give him. Glad I rediscovered my smaller crockpot in the cupboard earlier this week. The big one takes 6 litres, so is now too heavy for me to use easily. :cry:
  • EigonEigon Shipmate
    I shall be wearing several of my cloth masks this weekend, to go with various costumes at EasterCon. They are strongly recommending that everyone mask, and take a covid test before arriving (I've already taken one, and I'm cleared to go).
    My main costume is the Angel Aziraphale from Good Omens, and I got some cloth in his own angelic tartan to make the mask.
    My secondary costume is an soldier in UNIT, for which I have an Army green mask, and I'm also taking a rainbow mask and an asexual flag mask. I'm also volunteering at the Con this year, so I want to set a good example!
    Huge clear- out today, though admittedly very little has actually left the house, just been moved into the garage, either for temporary storage whilst the decorator is here, or waiting to go to the tip.
    I packed up my glassware and china dinner and tea sets. I know my son will have the glassware when I no longer need it, but nobody will want the china. Will I ever need it again? I don’t like to think I won’t, but there is far more than necessary.
    Once the house is straight, I’ll have to do some entertaining to justify keeping it.
    One of the sub-sets of stuff I just cannot deal with yet is music in all its forms: CDs, vinyl, music scores, hymn books, so I am just keeping it all for now.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    YaY, I've found a way to declutter my needlework supplies with very little effort from me. A couple of weeks ago a woman came into the community library with a poster for a gala on the other side of town. They will be selling craft related items and as I can no longer see well enough to stitch on fabric with more than 14 stitches to the inch I decided to donate some bits and pieces to them. Some will only be big enough to use for cards or bookmarks, while others could fit a bigger project, and a couple are still in their original packets as I bought 4 on sale and found the fabric not to my liking (although I know other people happily use it). I have also passed on a baby's bib that has a space to be stitched as well a some designs I've enjoyed stitching myself. I haven't included any Huia original designs because they were stitched specially for the person I gave them to.

The woman who delivered the poster is coming over on Monday to pick up the bits and pieces. I think there will be enough to make her trip worthwhile, especially as I'm bagging them in zip lock bags, with a note giving the size of the fabric.

I know it's now quite difficult to buy small amounts of some evenweave fabrics, especially in different colours so I hope they sell well. Also it means that when I finally move out of here, (and I hope it's being carried feet first), there will be less stuff going to the dump because no one knows what to do with it.
  • questioningquestioning Shipmate
    Huia wrote: »
    YaY, I've found a way to declutter my needlework supplies with very little effort from me. A couple of weeks ago a woman came into the community library with a poster for a gala on the other side of town. They will be selling craft related items and as I can no longer see well enough to stitch on fabric with more than 14 stitches to the inch I decided to donate some bits and pieces to them. Some will only be big enough to use for cards or bookmarks, while others could fit a bigger project, and a couple are still in their original packets as I bought 4 on sale and found the fabric not to my liking (although I know other people happily use it). I have also passed on a baby's bib that has a space to be stitched as well a some designs I've enjoyed stitching myself. I haven't included any Huia original designs because they were stitched specially for the person I gave them to.

The woman who delivered the poster is coming over on Monday to pick up the bits and pieces. I think there will be enough to make her trip worthwhile, especially as I'm bagging them in zip lock bags, with a note giving the size of the fabric.

I know it's now quite difficult to buy small amounts of some evenweave fabrics, especially in different colours so I hope they sell well. Also it means that when I finally move out of here, (and I hope it's being carried feet first), there will be less stuff going to the dump because no one knows what to do with it.

How wonderful!
  • ChastMastrChastMastr Shipmate
    I just need to get the laundry out of the laundry area where it is on top of bags of groceries and put away the laundry or at least stuff it in a drawer and put away the groceries or at least shove them somewhere… Prayers welcome…
  • questioningquestioning Shipmate
    ChastMastr wrote: »
    I just need to get the laundry out of the laundry area where it is on top of bags of groceries and put away the laundry or at least stuff it in a drawer and put away the groceries or at least shove them somewhere… Prayers welcome…

I'll pray. And... I suspect God will leave it up to you to make sure that the frozen and cold items make it into the freezer and refrigerator :wink:
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    That sounds like my life @ChastMastr. My Mum used to say, "A place for everything and everything in it' place" but it feels more like nothing's in its place.

I have finished bagging all the fabric and put it into 2 shopping bags, which I will leave on the front steps tomorrow. I have kept some pieces that are 14 count (14 holes to the inch) because I can still see them well enough to stitch, but I have been ruthless with the higher count material because it will only frustrate me if I try to use it My spare room is a lot emptier. :blush:
    Oh, the cold stuff (including bread, potatoes, onions) always goes into the fridge. It’s the stuff that doesn’t need refrigeration that sits in the bags…
  • A dear friend owns an antique store and Saturday night someone broke in and pretty much cleaned her out of anything valuable. So sad such a kind hard hard-working widow looking to retire soon. Now this. I have several antiques and I have enjoyed them for years, some from her shop. I am fairly sure my children are not that interested as I have been giving them any they liked over the past few years, so I have the joy of seeing them using them while I am still alive. I think this will help me unload without having to go to the trouble of selling when at this age I really do not need the money, my life is fairly simple. This will help her restock her shop, so I making her up a box. Win-Win. So much joy in donating to someone I know rather than just some shop or thrift store.
  • Lovely idea.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    That's a brilliant idea @Graven Image - I like those solutions were you both win.

I was at home soup making when the woman came with a very active small boy in tow to pick up the craft things. Even better than me just decluttering, the money raised is going to women and children in need in Christchurch. I think this is an "everyone wins" situation too.
  • That really is an everyone wins situation! Our decluttering came up again this morning as the stuff is still sitting in the bedroom. There will be further discussions tonight about the auction house/garage sale option. I hate the work in a garage sale, but once the preparation is done they can be lots of fun. With the auction house, $10 to list plus a percentage of the total, it's not worth it to walk away with $2, so have to revisit the whole thing and decide which junk is better for which option!
  • cgichardcgichard Shipmate
    You could always list suitable items on "Trash Nothing". The you don't have to take them anywhere, just leave then in an accessible place for collection.
  • Thanks for that, I'd forgotten about Freecycle and Buy nothing groups, will investigate!!
  • BoogieBoogie Heaven Host
    edited April 11
    We moved here 18 months ago and Huge Decluttering had happened before that.

Once we got here, everything had a place. Of course, there’s been slippage.

So I’m back on my ‘one drawer a day’ routine.

Putting it here to keep me accountable 🙂
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Every so often I come across a sign I need to declutter. Today it was 6 small metal mixing bowls. I used to make Christmas puddings in them, for family and friends and post or deliver them. Two would fit into the slow cooker together and the rule was that you return the bowls otherwise no Christmas pud next year.

Most of the recipients have since died, or their circumstances have changed and I no longer make the puddings so today I'm taking 4 of them to the local Op Shop (Thrift shop) . I'm keeping two as I still have friends who like Christmas pud.
    Boogie wrote: »

Putting it here to keep me accountable 🙂

What is this routine? 🙂
  • Surprising news at mine last night. Husband has booked a couple of days off work and has indicated assistance with the decluttering. That's very good news and I'll make some phone calls tomorrow to book a drop off after ANZAC Day. It will be good to get rid of those hanging around things.
    I am Spring Cleaning in anticipation of visitors who arrive tomorrow evening.

I know this sounds ridiculous, but one of our clutter issues is alcohol. I rarely drink, I probably average four or five units a month. The NE Man enjoys a dram but does not enjoy drinking alone.

When we have friends round to dinner, invariably one or more will be driving.

The NE Man receives gifts of alcohol at a faster rate than we drink it. The end result is that our accumulated alcohol is becoming clutter.

We are contemplating better storage solutions.

ChastMastr wrote: »
    Boogie wrote: »

Putting it here to keep me accountable.

What is this routine? 🙂

I clear out a shelf or drawer every day, whether it ‘needs’ it or not. 🙂

• SojournerSojourner Shipmate
    How long is the cycle?
    I am Spring Cleaning in anticipation of visitors who arrive tomorrow evening.

I know this sounds ridiculous, but one of our clutter issues is alcohol. I rarely drink, I probably average four or five units a month. The NE Man enjoys a dram but does not enjoy drinking alone.

When we have friends round to dinner, invariably one or more will be driving.

The NE Man receives gifts of alcohol at a faster rate than we drink it. The end result is that our accumulated alcohol is becoming clutter.

We are contemplating better storage solutions.

What kind(s) of alcohol? If wine, it needs to racked in reasonably cool, dark conditions to stay drinkable. Sherries live in a dedicated fridge (along with the chocolate). Spirits and liqueurs are more tolerant. Vodka should, of course, be kept in the freezer.

Or you could go for the behind-the-bar look and have all the whiskies ranged on narrow open shelving as a Feature in the dining room.

We have the whiskies on display* on a Welsh dresser in the dining room, and the bottled beer in a cupboard of the same. There aren't any other shelves or cupboards with the height to store more in the dresser. We've also got a small shelf in the kitchen on which we have other spirits, including vodka. There's a bottle of a cream liqueur in the fridge. So what's left cluttering up some of the scarce worktop space in the kitchen is mostly wine.

* when I say "on display" I don't mean attractively displayed but crammed into the available space.
    Stacked racks?

Though even so, kitchen not ideal - too bright/hot. Do you have anywhere that could be a cellar equivalent? Garage? Porch? Bathroom cupboard?

Or, you know, just drink the stuff.
  • CameronCameron Shipmate
    We have the whiskies on display* on a Welsh dresser in the dining room, and the bottled beer in a cupboard of the same. There aren't any other shelves or cupboards with the height to store more in the dresser. We've also got a small shelf in the kitchen on which we have other spirits, including vodka. There's a bottle of a cream liqueur in the fridge. So what's left cluttering up some of the scarce worktop space in the kitchen is mostly wine.

* when I say "on display" I don't mean attractively displayed but crammed into the available space.

I suppose it is not the done thing to give booze to a food bank, however much it might be welcomed in some households in need of cheer…

But at least the un-iced Christmas cake at the NE home will absorb all the bottles of whisky in due course :wink:
    The Food bank doesn't accept alcohol, alas.

The uniced Christmas cake (also taking up scarce worktop space) is indeed absorbing whisky, but not enough.

We used to store alcohol in the crawl space under the house, but it was awkward to retrieve and we tended to forget what was there. Though I could make a list, keep the list in the kitchen and put the alcohol down there.
    Sojourner wrote: »
    How long is the cycle?

On going, 15 minutes a day.
  • We are in the middle of moving every d*mn plant we can, outside. It's April and we are unlikely (please?) to get anymore snow or frost, so out they go--and the house is suddenly large enough for three people again! I need the old happy smiley, the one that's a whirly wheel.