Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Ship of Fools: Church of the Christian Community, Stroud, England

imageShip of Fools: Church of the Christian Community, Stroud, England

Solemn ritual, uplifting exhortation – but oh, that coffee!

Read the full Mystery Worshipper report here

Comments

• Box PewBox Pew Shipmate
    Thank you for reporting on a fascinating denomination. The photos of the new church - with its lack of right-angles - looks very typical of buildings associated with Rudolph Steiner.
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Yes, very interesting. I’ve just read up about it on Wikipedia and, though I knew about Steiner education philosophy, I had no idea about his theological ideas!
  • Fascinating, indeed. I thought at first that this might be something to do with the 'Liberal Catholic Church', but it isn't.

There seem to be a few congregations around the country, including one not far from me, in Canterbury - where a new church was a-building in 2013 (though the website is rather out-of-date :grimace: ).

I had a look at YouTube, to see if there were any films of the 'Act of Consecration of Man', but without success.
  • ClimacusClimacus Shipmate
    All completely new to me! Thank you, Urganda; and thank you for your sacrifice with the coffee. :smile:
  • Baptist TrainfanBaptist Trainfan Shipmate
    edited August 2019
    I went onto their website and noticed that they use the usual Steiner typeface - a dead giveaway! Some of us would question how "Christian" - in the orthodox sense - this is.
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited August 2019
    Perhaps this extract from their website might help:
    stroud.thechristiancommunity.co.uk/?page_id=259

Un-orthodox Christian, perhaps?

• stetsonstetson Shipmate

From the description of the service, they sound firmly Trinitarian, which I believe is the main theological criterion for a mystery worship.

• Yes, but we make exceptions now and then.
    This piqued my curiousity...

What happened when you hung around after the service looking lost?

Nothing much. Everyone was busy – not unfriendly, but anthroposophists have their own world, which I make little effort to penetrate.

I'd be interested to know what type of "busy"-ness anthroposophists get up to after church, that would seem impenetrable to a newcomer.
  • Perhaps this extract from their website might help:

Non Christian. Since when did karma and reincarnation become part of Christianity? It's the Liberal Catholic Church in another reincarnation
  • stetson wrote: »

From the description of the service, they sound firmly Trinitarian, which I believe is the main theological criterion for a mystery worship.
    My guess is that the only thing they can be be said to "firmly" be is "firmly Anthroposophic." After all, the page linked to above calls Anthroposophy "the ‘bedrock’ of a modern Christian theology." (Their Creed can be read here.) Despite the language used in their services, my hunch is that a little digging would show that they have a very different understanding of those words from the understanding of traditional, orthodox Christianity—much how, say, Mormonism or New Thought movements have a totally different understanding of many traditional terms.
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited August 2019

Non Christian. Since when did karma and reincarnation become part of Christianity? It's the Liberal Catholic Church in another reincarnation

Perhaps. I should, methinks, have read their website more thoroughly.
    Nick Tamen wrote: »
    stetson wrote: »

My guess is that the only thing they can be be said to "firmly" be is "firmly Anthroposophic." After all, the page linked to above calls Anthroposophy "the ‘bedrock’ of a modern Christian theology." (Their Creed can be read here.) Despite the language used in their services, my hunch is that a little digging would show that they have a very different understanding of those words from the understanding of traditional, orthodox Christianity—much how, say, Mormonism or New Thought movements have a totally different understanding of many traditional terms.

Fair point. I'm reminded of Humpty Dumpty declaring that 'words mean what I want them to mean!'

As Miss Amanda says, the occasional non-Trinitarian MW Report is allowed to sneak in...I guess this is one of them.
    edited August 2019
    (Their Creed can be read here.)

Sounds kinda like Christian Science. As a quick formulation, whatever you think about Christian Science's claim to be Christian, could probably do double-duty for what you think about similar claims by the Church Of The Christian Community.

^ Persuant, I found out recently that there was at one time a minor vogue for Jews converting to Christian Science, because it allowed them to get into gentile hotels and whatnot, without having to commit to any deep Christian faith.
  • UrgandaUrganda Shipmate
    Sorry to take so long to reply to all your fascinating comments. I know very little of The Christian Community myself, but I am keen to know more. It would be valuable to know what we all mean by 'christian'. Is it creeds or actions we're talking about?
    Urganda wrote: »
    Sorry to take so long to reply to all your fascinating comments. I know very little of The Christian Community myself, but I am keen to know more. It would be valuable to know what we all mean by 'christian'. Is it creeds or actions we're talking about?

I think the focus has been on creed. Someone said the church seemed unorthodox, I replied that the service sounded strictly trinitarian, someone else rejoindered that the trinitarian phrases probably mean something very different than what they usually mean etc.

If the focus were on actions, that would pretty much end up with a never-ending series of excommunications, since no Christian person or denomination has a spotless record in that regard.

• Al EluiaAl Eluia Shipmate Posts: 15
    They certainly would say they believe in the Trinity. Looking at some online information on this denomination I'd say their understanding of the Trinity (along with much Christian teaching and practice) is pretty out there. And as I understand the Mormons would say they accept the Trinity although their definition is quite heterodox. Anyway, I quite enjoyed reading the MW and learning a bit about this group. I was a bit disappointed that they don't have a congregation around here.
  • Urganda wrote: »

Thanks for the report!

On the thread on the main forums, I raised the point that you yourself did not feel the question 'did the service make you feel glad to be a Christian' applied. If you could explain your answer to this question, it might help us have a working definition...
  • UrgandaUrganda Shipmate
    I don't think I call myself a Christian though, strangely I have never been asked before. I read Theology and daily read both Old and New Testaments but this is for interest more than dogma. I've never joined a group, which is one reason why I enjoy being a mystery worshiper. I am learning not to take your questions too literally. After all, I'm always advising other people not to do that with the Bible.
  • A fair, and honest, reply!
    :grin: