Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Ship of Fools: Word Alive, Redland Parish Church, Redland, Bristol, England

imageShip of Fools: Word Alive, Redland Parish Church, Redland, Bristol, England

Respect creation – except for this beautiful building

Read the full Mystery Worshipper report here

Comments

• Well done, @Urganda!

I'd love to know what's so pagan about the altar.. Or is it simply too 'popish' (unlikely, if it's 18thC) for current tastes?

One assumes that the screen is retracted out of service time, and that the portraits you mention are put elsewhere, so a visit during the week (is the church open other than on Sundays?) might enable you to see the building properly.
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited September 2019
    In answer to my own question, they do have Morning Prayer 2-3 times a week, so I guess the church would be open for that.

It is a rather splendid building, I agree!
  • I'll go again. I agree I have to see the altar. Sphinxes feature, I'm told. I find the church extremely difficult to get into, but then I don't live in Bristol. I know they'd be helpful if I asked in advance. The founder left money to preserve the church, which is why it's in such good condition.
    This idea of the building being the way to heaven is hard to get across when people keep telling me the Church is the people, not the building. They feel very strongly about it.
  • Certainly covering all the interesting bits with cloths, and pulling screens down over them, will preserve them from the wear and tear caused by visitors' eyes focusing on them.
  • Ah, but to have those Interesting Bits exposed during service-time would distract the faithful from True Worship™, as expressed in the sort of thing Urganda sat through...
  • It might even open up a new way to Heaven
  • Where's Led Zeppelin when we need them so badly?
  • Noooo!!! The church would have to install a Perspex Box, in which to put the drums!!!

O. :blush:

ISWYM.

I'll get me coat...
  • Certainly covering all the interesting bits with cloths, and pulling screens down over them, will preserve them from the wear and tear caused by visitors' eyes focusing on them.

Aha, a good sound reason fo the practice - thanks Miss Amanda. And clever vicar at Redland church to to know this as well. Here was I thinking it was just a bit of sacrilege.
  • One could write a book -- nay, a whole library full of books -- on the sacrilege witnessed over the ages by eyes focusing on it.
  • HistoryHistory Shipmate Posts: 1
    History of beautiful 18th century Redland Chapel and its founders, John and Martha Cossins, detailed in book by Caroline Bateson, "John Cossins of Redland Court", £5 orders from carolinepbateson@gmail.com
    John and Martha are buried in the church and their likenesses are the sculptures by Rysbrack.
  • Thanks. I'll get the book. The other Rysbracks are Martha's 2 brothers - probably. All 4 are splendid but hard to see.
  • Hopefully, there will be good photos in the book.