Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Ship of Fools: Our Lady of Joy, Carefree, Arizona, USA

imageShip of Fools: Our Lady of Joy, Carefree, Arizona, USA

No joy down the Primrose Path for our Mystery Worshipper.

Read the full Mystery Worshipper report here

Comments

• Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited September 2019
    O where are the Episcopal smelling-salts? Miss Amanda wearing shorts in church? I feel a swound coming on...

On a slightly less frivolous note, I thought it was the RC custom to address Deacons as 'Father', at least in everyday conversation, if not officially?
  • That may be -- I confess I don't know. Personally, I would never call a deacon anything except "Deacon."
  • It is not an RC custom to address a deacon as 'Father' but many people do as they may not be aware that the deacon is not a priest or even that it is not an RC custom to address a deacon as 'Father' One has to remember that very few people, who attend RC churches,even those who attend regularly, are liturgy nerds.
  • Unlike some of the denizens of these boards...
    :innocent:

So, what is the correct way of addressing a Deacon? Saying something like 'Good morning, Deacon [Fred]' seems a little stilted...
  • Alan29Alan29 Shipmate
    edited September 2019
    Unlike some of the denizens of these boards...
    :innocent:

So, what is the correct way of addressing a Deacon? Saying something like 'Good morning, Deacon [Fred]' seems a little stilted...

Ours is called Robert. And our priest who is Vicar General of the diocese and a canon is addressed as Phil or by children, Father Phil.
    What could be more appropriate than calling them by their Christian name?
  • OK, I'll buy that, but I guess some people might find the informal approach a bit too informal... :wink:
  • OK, I'll buy that, but I guess some people might find the informal approach a bit too informal... :wink:

Some highly clericalised clerics certainly would!
  • Not just clerics - our Madam Sacristan is most careful about how she addresses the Holy Clergy™!

She will say to a Deacon (we're C of E, by the way), 'Good morning, Deacon [Aloysius]'...and to a Priest, 'Good morning, Father [Septimus]'.
  • FCBFCB Shipmate Posts: 7
    edited September 2019
    In my diocese deacons are supposed to be referred to as "Deacon [Name]." I suppose some might have the last name in there, but I can't think of any.

That said, I get called "Father" all the time.
  • I thought addressing someone as Deacon Bob was a bit odd sounding, until I remembered that we address bishops as Bishop Fred. Seems that priests are odd as they are addressed by their spiritual relationship and not by their job.
    I do believe that before the reformation they (in Britain) were called variously Mr White or Sir John. Might be wrong though.
  • You couldn't just call them all 'you'?
  • The church's website has some photos of the bronze Stations Of The Cross that Miss Amanda mentions. I wish the pictures were bigger though, kinda hard to fully appreciate them at that size.
  • Here's the link to the Stations. There's actually about a foot high -- maybe two feet at the most for the larger ones. They're quite stunning.
  • Urganda wrote: »
    You couldn't just call them all 'you'?

Would "Oi you!" be the appreopraite way to catch their attention?