Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Ship of Fools: Shepherd of the Hills, Fountain Hills, Arizona, USA

imageShip of Fools: Shepherd of the Hills, Fountain Hills, Arizona, USA

Suppose they gave a Christmas pot luck – and nobody came?

Read the full Mystery Worshipper report here

Comments

• DardaDarda Shipmate
    Our rector also used the descending scale "Joy to the World" illustration at our children's carol service, with connivance from the organist.
  • Perhaps pot luck means you don't get any?
  • Must have. I'm glad I didn't bring anything -- it would have gone to waste.

(I deleted your "test" post, by the way. I've e-mailed you re the problem you reported.)
  • Many thanks
  • A dear man from our congregation, along with his son, prepared a free Christmas Day lunch for the poor and indigent, a few years ago. We even managed to extract £500 from a local supermarket chain to help with the finances!

Despite promises of attendance from about 30 people, only about 6 turned up on the day, better offers having presumably been received.

Father NewPriest, having had similar experiences in previous parishes, says he won't arrange a free meal on Christmas Day, simply because of the hassle, and potential disappointment/problems.

Instead, we are arranging (and advertising) a FREE lunch after Mass on Christmas 1, to which ALL are invited. Members of the congregation are bringing-and-sharing, but ANYONE who turns up will be amply fed (and wined!).
  • There is a Church of God in Christ in my neighborhood which advertises a free Christmas dinner every year. I've often thought of checking out their services, but from what I've read they look a little too far off the wall even for me.
  • I find I can't give money away in the middle of a city on Christmas day. No takers. What about all the other days?