Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Ship of Fools: Tewkesbury Abbey, England

imageShip of Fools: Tewkesbury Abbey, England

Twinkle, twinkle, little – priest? Neither beautiful nor interesting.

Read the full Mystery Worshipper report here

Comments

• DavidDavid Shipmate
    By now the Milton Organ must be like Trigger's Broom.
  • An expression unknown on this side of the pond. To us Trigger was Roy Rogers' horse, and to the best of my recollection he never possessed a broom.
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited January 2020
    The term derives from a very popular British sitcom - Only Fools and Horses - so here's the scene in which Trigger ( a road-sweeper) explains why he's got a medal for maintaining his broom so well.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=56yN2zHtofM

The philosophical question is, of course, when does something repaired, or renewed, over many years cease to be the original object?
  • SpikeSpike Ecclesiantics & MW Host, Admin Emeritus
    When I attended a Choral Mass at Tewkesbury Abbey some years ago, the entire service was chanted, including the readings. Is it still the case?
  • No. The Old Testament reading and the Epistle were read by members of the congregation from the lectern and pulpit. Interesting and dramatic use of the furniture. The sermon was preached from the ground. There was almost no chanting. Perhaps they are suffering a reaction? Or perhaps this is deliberately different from Choral Mass, which followed immediately after.
  • Their website lists two 'main' Eucharists on Sunday - 915am (not 945am as per the Report - maybe the website is wrong?) and 11am, the latter being the more formal service.

So I think what @Urganda says is probably correct - the two services are deliberately arranged to be different from each other.

BTW, the Vicar was previously incumbent of a parish not far from Our Place, and is remembered with affection there.
  • The service I went to was the 9.15. Between the two there was just time for some fine bell ringing.