Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Coping in the Time of Covid-19 - New and Improved!

Comments

• la vie en rougela vie en rouge Purgatory Host, Circus Host
    Earlier I took Captain Pyjamas out for his permitted one hour constitutional. We went in a shop for a couple of bits and there I spotted the most extraordinary sight so far: a woman wearing a percolator coffee filter as a face mask. Madame, it's not protecting you, but it is making you look ridiculous 😲
  • FirenzeFirenze Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    I sympathise with @Piglet - it's a bummer when you have to deal with personal troubles and global catastrophe.

I worry of course that Mr F May become collateral damage if anything happens to impede cancer treatment.
  • PDRPDR Shipmate
    To help prevent the spread of COVID-19, people are asked to stay at home, and couples who don't live together are asked not to see each other. I just had an email spam from Groupon. The subject was "Missing your favorite cock..."

It turned out to be cocktail abbreviated, which I'm sure disappoints some of you.

Thanks for the laugh - I needed it! <Just finished wiping the coffee off the computer screen...>
  • PuzzlerPuzzler Shipmate
    Piglet, we have just had cauliflower cheese and it was very good, except that I am out of bacon and I forgot to put the mustard in. I add hard boiled eggs to mine though.
  • I had za'atar coated roasted cauliflower "steaks" the other night. I'm not wasting cauliflower on vegan milk and cheese mix (otherwise known as dairy free).
  • Madame, it's not protecting you, but it is making you look ridiculous 😲
    Ah, but the entertainment value for others.

• I had za'atar coated roasted cauliflower "steaks" the other night. I'm not wasting cauliflower on vegan milk and cheese mix (otherwise known as dairy free).

Can you give a bit more detail, please? That sounds just right for me.
  • MooMoo Kerygmania Host
    I shopped at Wal-Mart today. The latest shortage is dishwasher detergent. They had a few on the shelf, so I bought an unfamiliar brand. I'm no sure how much difference there is between one brand and another.
  • edited March 2020
    Moo wrote: »
    The latest shortage is dishwasher detergent. . . . I'm not sure how much difference there is between one brand and another.
    In my experience, considerable. The brand whose name reminds one of a waterfall gives me the best results. The brand whose name used to remind one of a plugged-in star but then changed it to a word that is the opposite of "begin" is decidedly inferior -- again in my opinion.
  • Trying to get a bit of tidying done in the garden, and give Mr RoS something to keep him away from the news channel, I got him clearing the disaster that was supposed to be a bed of leeks.
    I then chopped them up to put on the compost, and was able to find enough late-planted ones that hadn't bolted to add to tonight's vegetable bake. That was an unexpected bonus, and there are a few more that might prove edible.
    He also pulled up half a row of abandoned beets, and found four that might not be too woody to eat. Sausages for tomorrow, possibly with leeks and roasted beets.
  • Dishwasher detergent varies greatly, as Miss Amanda says.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    I agree; my usual brand was the waterfall one, and others just didn't cut it. It also helps if you use rinsing-aid, but I can't remember what brand it was (I'm not in my own household these days so just have to use what my sister uses).
  • 10 people at a time in any store. Preferred is online ordering and you pick up. Shopping has gone to 1969 when any vegetables and fruit were in tins or dried. But bananas. We're still in winter here. Blizzard 2 nights in a row.

Hoarding and resale of things like food, cleaning supplies, medical supplies is illegal. They'll just seize them and fine and jail.
  • I received my usual organic box delivered today. Much smaller in size and reduced rate as they have gone from 50 customers to 90. I talked to them on phone and they said they are over whelmed so are going to do a cut off at 75 orders next week. First boxes to regular customers. What I received was most welcome, baby tomatoes, bunch of carrots, 6 apples, spinach, and 4 lovely baking potatoes. As there are only two of us we are fine. It has been a along time since we have had a baked potato so that will be the center of dinner tomorrow along with a small piece of fish we will split as I have just one left from a frozen pack of 3. When there are two of us I hate those 3 pack of things. Corn on the cob often is packed that way at our market. Why even pack corn? Feeling very grateful for having food delivered to my door.
  • Alan Cresswell Alan Cresswell Admin, 8th Day Host
    Last week our minister delivered the latest newsletter for our congregations, along with a letter explaining why we were having to close our buildings and how we were hoping to worship at a distance. That letter included not only her phone numbers, but mine as well (as my role as the only Elder with any chance of getting out if needed). Then on Sunday my daughter drew cards for the ladies in the church, and I added a note just to say she'd done this at the time when we'd normally have gathered for worship and included my numbers with a "if you need anything, even just a blether, call me".

Yesterday afternoon one of our members, Ann, called several times. She's got dementia, hasn't been to church for more than a year, and lives alone. Her children had reached the point where they were exploring options for putting her in a home where she could get the help she needs as her ability to cope with daily activities deteriorated - a move that's had to be put on hold for the foreseeable. And, her children can't even pop in to see her. A series of calls from an old lady obviously in some distress at being alone, aware of why that was needed but nonetheless needing to hear another human voice; each call following the same pattern not knowing who she had called, recognising my name when I tell her, her apologising for bothering me, me saying it's not a bother, then she hangs up. All to be repeated 15 minutes later. So sad that all I could do was be a voice on the end of the phone - and, to then call some of the other ladies in the church who know her better, in particular to find someone who has the phone numbers for her children.
  • Oh yes, these thing happen when our phone number is out there, @Alan Cresswell Our village volunteering scheme has two or three numbers on it, but it turns out they all phone me because they know who I am..... We are going to have to alter the system soon!
  • TwilightTwilight Shipmate
    edited March 2020
    Yes, phone calls are a whole new thing. I made a list last week of about a dozen people I wanted to call and just finished the list yesterday. They were all so happy to get a call you'd think it was 1940 and I was calling from another country. Some of these people are the same ones who used to answer, chat for a few seconds, and then say they were shopping and couldn't really talk long.

We still have lots of food but I'm having to get creative with the perishables. I've always had a habit of using up everything in my pantry and freezer right after Christmas so that I can start over in the new year knowing nothing is outdated. That's when I first learned you could Google a few random ingredients and come up with a recipe. My favorite was a cake using cottage cheese, the recipe came from the web page of a Jewish woman in Israel keeping a nice kosher kitchen. I got a warm fuzzy feeling connecting with her from Ohio.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate

It's odd to look out of the windows and see the forests and hills exactly as normal, though.

Mrs S, I had a similar feeling when we were in the time of having regular earthquakes here (one memorable day we had almost one every 2 hours or so - mostly small ones). When summer turned to autumn and autumn to winter in the usual way it felt really strange, as though even the seasons should be affected.

When I admitted how I was feeling to other people (because I thought I was going doolally) I found I was far from being the only one.
  • I'd be grateful for some suggestions from you foodie shipmates. Three week ago I ordered some white cabbage on my usual online order. I'm not joking, it was the size of a football! I've still got half left and I'm getting bored with it. I've steamed and stir fried it and put it in a coleslaw, but have run out of ideas.

I live alone so cooking for one, and am reluctant to use the oven as it uses so much electricity. I've got a bog standard collection of herbs and spices but nothing exotic. And I'm not fond of garlic.

I can't get out to go shopping for anything else, and I can't afford to waste it. After all, it is a fresh vegetable!

Any suggestions? Please?

Can you give a bit more detail, please? That sounds just right for me.

There are lots of recipes online - I got the idea from a Tesco's recipe card. You slice the cauliflower across into slices through the stalk about 1/2"/2cm thick, coat in spices and oil and roast in the oven on high. I used Za'atar as I was making it for me alone and my daughter can't eat za'atar. She had a ready-made GF southern fried chicken steak I had in the freezer and I was saving the other one for her another time. It was served with sweet potato "chips" and roasted cauliflower leaves.

This took out the central section of the cauliflower, so I used the rest broken into florets and roasted with butternut squash in a curry with coconut and lentils as that's what came up when I looked for recipes using cauliflower and butternut squash. That was a nice gentle recipe, no heat at all for those who like their curries without chilli. Again lots of versions online.

We have another cauliflower in the box this week, so on I go with the search for interesting recipes. I can see a meal with cauliflower three ways coming up in the near future.

Next irritation is the dairy that saved our bacon last week delivering a dairy box is now only delivering the large family box with fruit and veg, So back to hoping that milk and eggs will be available when I can next go shopping on Wednesday - which is when the 14 days is up. The milk should last.
    @Thomasina - colcannon? Basically stir fry shredded cabbage with diced bacon and mix into mashed potato. (Potato+cabbage+bacon is Irish soul food).

Variation I make is microwave potato until nearly done, add the shredded cabbage for the last couple of minutes, mash the whole lot with butter and pepper, top with cheese and finish in the oven.

You can onions to the mix.

Or failing that, pickle it and that way you can postpone it for a bit.
  • la vie en rougela vie en rouge Purgatory Host, Circus Host
    The supermarkets seem to be getting back to normal here. There's only so much stuff people can stockpile. You may find you can soon buy most basic items.
  • HeavenlyannieHeavenlyannie Shipmate
    edited March 2020
    I love stir fried cabbage with spices. In my veggie days one of my favourite meals was cabbage stir fried with salted peanuts and served in a cheese sauce. You might also try it with some kind of tinned bean instead.
    Or fry the cabbage with herbs and add egg to make a sort of omelette.
  • Robert ArminRobert Armin Shipmate, Glory
    The antiseptic soap a friend bought me is called Valderma. I'm hoping a talking horse will turn up if I use enough of it.
  • North East QuineNorth East Quine Purgatory Host
    I had za'atar coated roasted cauliflower "steaks" the other night. I'm not wasting cauliflower on vegan milk and cheese mix (otherwise known as dairy free).

We had butternut squash "steaks" coated with Za'atar. The squash was sliced vertically, so the shape looked steak like and it was very tasty.
  • finelinefineline Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    I braved the supermarket yesterday, early evening. Stock-wise, they do seem to be getting back to normal - everything I looked for was in stock, and some things are being rationed, so everyone can get them. There were stickers on the floor and signs about social distancing, but people weren't following it. There is a 'one in, one out' policy, but at the time I went, there was no queue and I could go right in. But it seemed quite busy inside, and people weren't staying 2 metres apart. But then I'm someone who always avoids queues and am used to going when it's really quiet. So my idea of busy might not be busy in reality, but it made me feel uncomfortable. But food and loo rolls and paracetamol were all available.
    Bravo, @Alan Cresswell - that was a Very Good Thing you did! <notworthy>
    Sorry for double-post, but I've just scored a "phone-and-collect" order of meat, veggies and bread from a butcher in Lanark Road, to be picked up tomorrow afternoon.

That might be us sorted for a wee while! :)
    Have elected to make Bobotie this evening I found I didn't have a dried apricot in the house.

I visited our two local shops (at either end of quite a long road, but not an apricot to be found. However I did score fresh ginger, bread, almonds, rice, cake, pannacotta, flour and a cooking apple.

I did look pensively at the bedding plants, being watered by the steady drizzle.
  • DoublethinkDoublethink Admin, 8th Day Host
    Thomasina wrote: »
    I'd be grateful for some suggestions from you foodie shipmates. Three week ago I ordered some white cabbage on my usual online order. I'm not joking, it was the size of a football! I've still got half left and I'm getting bored with it. I've steamed and stir fried it and put it in a coleslaw, but have run out of ideas.

I live alone so cooking for one, and am reluctant to use the oven as it uses so much electricity. I've got a bog standard collection of herbs and spices but nothing exotic. And I'm not fond of garlic.

I can't get out to go shopping for anything else, and I can't afford to waste it. After all, it is a fresh vegetable!

Any suggestions? Please?

Low carb sandwhich roll, get a large cabbage leave put whatever you’d normally put in a sandwhich (that doesn’t mind being peppery - so you don’t need to add mustard to your ham if you would normally) then roll it up into a cigar shape and scoff.
  • Oh yes, you can also make a cabbage version of dolmades - Greek stuffed vine leaves. Stuff cabbage leaves with cooked rice, herbs, tomatoes (or whatever) and cooked in a tomato sauce in a shallow dish on the stove.
  • Oh yes, you can also make a cabbage version of dolmades - Greek stuffed vine leaves. Stuff cabbage leaves with cooked rice, herbs, tomatoes (or whatever) and cooked in a tomato sauce in a shallow dish on the stove.

A Ukrainian version known as golubtsi (sp?) can probably be found online.
  • bassobasso Shipmate
    My mother called those cabbage rolls. Yum!
  • Thomasina - depending what's in the larder - soup! I generally use pork hocks to make the broth, but you can do a straight-on vegetarian version, or add a bullion cube. I like to ad about 1 tsp of allspice berries and some caraway seeds. Really, whatever veg is looking long in the tooth can go in. Oddly, my sister and I were discussing cabbage rolls this very morning.

I wouldn't worry about the cabbage going bad, though. Even afeter it has been cut, I rap it in cling film and keep it in the crisper. The exposed surface mix go a little dry and black, but you can trim off just about 4mm and you're good to go.
  • PuzzlerPuzzler Shipmate
    My mum used to make a giant white cabbage last half the winter by wrapping it up and keeping it in the fridge. She was a “ plain cook” so it was always boiled, sometimes with added leaks for extra flavour.
    I once made a Cabbage Pie, with onions, and maybe cubes of cooked potato, topped with puff pastry, for my vegetarian nephew.
  • DoublethinkDoublethink Admin, 8th Day Host
    Cabbage, onions with paprika variants are very nice.
  • Sliced leeks and shredded cabbage cooked in cider is one of my favourite recipes.
    I usually use savoy, but I'm sure it would work just as well with white cabbage. The addition of chopped bacon makes it a more rounded dish.
  • Penny SPenny S Shipmate
    A long time ago I saw a programme for children cooking, I think presented by Nanette Newman (!!) and it included a veggie burger recipe. As far as I recall the main ingredients included lentils, oats and finely chopped cabbage - probably onion as well, and probably bound with egg.
  • Recipe we call Cheap Thrills, Beat 1 egg with 1 tsp of fish or soy sauce. Shred 1/2 cabbage into thin strips. Heat pan on high, fry one crushed clove of garlic in tab. oil until brown. Remove it. stir fry cabbage for 2 minutes, add 2 tab. water cook covered on med heat for 2 and 1/2 minutes. uncover turn heat to high, make a well in the cabbage and pour in the egg mixture, fry 2 minutes season with black pepper. ( left overs keep well for a day or two)
  • LeafLeaf Shipmate
    Even easier than cabbage rolls: Lazy Holubchi, or Cabbage Roll Casserole.

Brown ground beef. Stir with chopped cabbage, chopped onion, raw rice, and tomato sauce; some salt, pepper, and dill. Pour into pan. Top with beef broth. Bake for an hour, stir it around, bake for another half hour. Voila! Easy, cheap, tasty, filling.

One recipe is here: https://allrecipes.com/recipe/14690/cabbage-roll-casserole/ for quantities of liquid to meat, veg, and rice.
  • Thomasina - I just tripped across this while looking for something else. Sounds delicious. If you make this, please, report back.

https://food52.com/recipes/68691-jamie-oliver-s-italian-bread-and-cabbage-soup
  • BoogieBoogie Heaven Host
    Zoom is great, my two brothers and I had a good chat over it this morning. 🙂

I started my new jigsaw yesterday. I accidentally dropped a piece on the floor. Can you guess what happened next?

🤔
  • Wesley JWesley J Circus Host
    The dog et it?
    Lured by a cloudless and sunny morning I bought several trays of bedding plants. It started raining on me as I carried them home.
  • BoogieBoogie Heaven Host
    Wesley J wrote: »
    The dog et it?

Yep!

The puppy chewed it up and swallowed it before I could blink!

:lol: :lol:

• Thanks for all the suggestions. My mouth is watering! I can see that the half cabbage in fridge (keeping well in plastic bag) won't be lasting much longer. :)
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited March 2020
    IANAC (I am not a cook - or chef), but rely on simple stuff that I can pop into the oven, or the microwave.

However, given the need to spend hours and hours (or days and days) below decks in the Ark, I find myself snacking, or browsing, rather as Rhinoceri do, so I am told.

Recent shopping forays have resulted in the following stocks of nibbles:

Oranges (the easy-peely ones)
    Bananas
    Almonds
    Salted Peanuts (yes, yes, I know about Salt)
    Celery (there is some cream CHEESE to go with it)
    Mars Bars (CHOCOLATE!)
    Healthy Snacky Biscuity Thingies
    Pickled Onions (there is some proper CHEESE to go with them)

Not too bad a list - and I have NOT been stockpiling!

I like Radishes, too, but forgot to look for any today...
  • Celery (there is some cream CHEESE to go with it)
    Heaven on earth! I like celery with peanut butter also.

I've had no trouble finding produce and have been enjoying a different mixture of salad ingredients for lunch every day.

I finally found a nice wedge of bleu cheese to crumble into it. I make my own dressing with bleu cheese and mayonnaise (or sour cream). Also, for a change of pace, "poor man's French dressing" -- equal parts of ketchup and mayonnaise.
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited March 2020
    O! YES! Peanut Butter! I just knew there was something I'd forgotten (apart from the radishes)...

Excuse for Another Essential Journey (well, not until Tuesday, perhaps...).
    I had a slightly odd, pallid lunch of fennel, avocado, Edam and pickled herring.

Tonight is beef olives. Depending where you look on the web, cooking time is anything between 30 minutes and 3 hours.