Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Ship of Fools: Oakhaven Church, Oshkosh, Wisconsin, USA

imageShip of Fools: Oakhaven Church, Oshkosh, Wisconsin, USA

Too plain, too tiresome – b’gosh!

Read the full Mystery Worshipper report here

Comments

• DardaDarda Shipmate
    I think the multicoloured 2 minute warning clock with accompanying "muzac" is a generic YouTube thing that the originator of the video cannot alter. I find it annoying and it certainly does nothing for pre-service atmosphere.
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited April 2020
    I think the same thing preceded the service from Scotland that I watched this morning, also on YouTube.

I agree that it is rather irritating!

The service proper began, rather more tunefully, with the Cathedral bells.
    :wink:
  • Darda wrote: »
    I think the multicoloured 2 minute warning clock with accompanying "muzac" is a generic YouTube thing that the originator of the video cannot alter. I find it annoying and it certainly does nothing for pre-service atmosphere.
    There must be someway to alter it. We stream our services on YouTube, and pre-service we have a slideshow of scenes from around the church with text in the bottom right-hand corner: “The service will begin shortly: x:xx,” the “x:xx” being a countdown clock. Some Sundays the slideshow is without music, some Sundays the music has been organ music recorded by our organist.
  • Nick Tamen wrote: »
    We have a slideshow of scenes from around the church with text in the bottom right-hand corner: “The service will begin shortly: x:xx,” the “x:xx” being a countdown clock.

That was how this service began also. But then, when that countdown clock reached zero and the service actually began, the multi-colored, psychedelic clock was shown in the video feed.
  • DardaDarda Shipmate
    Maybe the clock appears on a "YouTube Premiere", but not on a genuine live stream?
  • You've solved the mystery, @Darda. It was indeed a YouTube Premiere. I thought it looked a tad too slick to be a genuine live stream. Looking into the matter, I see that the psychedelic countdown is a "feature" of YouTube Premiere. If I play the saved video again, the countdown is not there.
  • Of course, one can always mute the countdown muzak, and turn up the sound when the service begins...
  • One may have to.
  • Or, depending on whether the plexi-glass screen is protecting the drum kit sufficiently, turn off, or lower, the sound for the service itself...