Ship of Fools: St Mary on Paddington Green, Little Venice, London

imageShip of Fools: St Mary on Paddington Green, Little Venice, London

Sermon a useful spiritual tool in a restless worship atmosphere

Read the full Mystery Worshipper report here

Comments

• Box PewBox Pew Shipmate
    edited May 4
    I think this is the church that appears in this advert.

[Edited link to go directly to YouTube clip. ABR]
  • I'm a bit surprised to hear that they're offering refreshments. How was social distancing managed? And what about handling the mugs/cups/plates?
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    I was wondering about distribution at communion. Was the cup offered, or mini-cups, or not at all.

BTW, did you pretty little Polly Perkins in the congregation?
  • The *current normal* in the C of E is Communion in one kind only, and NO CUP.

AIUI most clergy do in fact consecrate some wine, but consume it themselves.

It's good that the church has children in its congregation - ours are still missing IYSWIM, and haven't yet returned...
  • Alan29Alan29 Shipmate
    The *current normal* in the C of E is Communion in one kind only, and NO CUP.

It's good that the church has children in its congregation - ours are still missing IYSWIM, and haven't yet returned...

The return of Sunday school is on a par with the return of congregational singing for bringing life back to our worship.
  • Alan29 wrote: »

The return of Sunday school is on a par with the return of congregational singing for bringing life back to our worship.

Indeed. I look forward to the day - maybe this summer?

A few of our younger folks have been in evidence from time to time, but with nothing like the former regularity or numbers...

Re Paddington Green, an attendance of 60 in these straitened times - and at silly o'clock in the morning! - is not bad at all.
  • My wife used to teach in the school associated with this church and has a very high opinion of the Vicar.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Alan29 wrote: »

Thank you for all that. For some time now, we've been able to consecrate a cup for the presiding priest, and mini-cups for everyone else. Not the ideal of course, but at least it's available and is safe.

A new infection has led to changes in a range of rules here. The infected man had been at a wide range of locations and then there's the flow-on effect. It looks as if singing is now banned again.
  • I wonder if the MWer didn't mention the chalice (*wee cuppies* are Not Allowed At All in the C of E) simply because Communion in one kind is now the norm?

BTW, St Mary's sister church - St Saviour, Warwick Avenue - is an interesting contrast architecturally, being a 1970s replacement of a great Gothic barn.

• Gee DGee D Shipmate
    I had not realised that they were banned.
  • Amanda B ReckondwythAmanda B Reckondwyth Mystery Worship Editor
    Come to think of it, I've never seen wee cuppies used in an Episcopal church. However, the "breakaway" Anglican church reported on here had an interesting way of doing communion, I thought.