Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Ship of Fools: St Augustine of Canterbury, Escondido, California, USA

imageShip of Fools: St Augustine of Canterbury, Escondido, California, USA

Prayer Book, Roman Canon and – combat boots!

Read the full Mystery Worshipper report here

Comments

• caerdeonmancaerdeonman Shipmate Posts: 7
    Sounds like this is Ordinariate, rather than mainstream Roman Catholic. They seem to pick and choose different bits of various Liturgies, which mainstream RC is not at liberty to do.
  • Yes, their website confirms it.
  • As does the "More Church Info" section in the report.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    No lit candles? Perhaps because it's a tent and it would be too much of a fire risk? (I know about candles and camping in tents, by and large we used lanterns.) Another possibility is that there do not appear o be any walls, and the candles are unlikely to remain lit? Can't think of any other reason.
  • There was a fire extinguisher prominently displayed -- you can see it in the photo -- so perhaps they were wary of fire. I don't imagine electric candles would have passed muster. I don't recall if the altar candles had chimneys or not -- if so, that would have mitigated breezes blowing them out.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Thanks - you'd need to be very wary of fire. I don't imagine that you'd relish a return visit to make any check on the candles.

A real bonus for me in this report was the hear of an Ordinariate service. There are next to no Ordinariate churches here.
  • caerdeonmancaerdeonman Shipmate Posts: 7
    I had completely missed the "More church Info".
  • I don't expect to be back in the area until November, but if I do go, I may drop by again. Hopefully by that time they'll have found a permanent building where they can light as many candles as the place will accommodate.

An update -- I was told that the priest who celebrated mass was a visiting priest. The parish was under the care of a deacon, who was away that weekend receiving Holy Orders to the priesthood. It turns out he had filed a Mystery Worship report or two himself in years gone by, although I think it was before my time.
  • Alan29Alan29 Shipmate
    When we visit our daughter in Oxford we go to the local RC church which is served by an Ordinariate priest. I wasn't aware of that before Mass started, but almost immediately things were underway it was obvious that he was a convert from a very high church Anglican background. I have to say he is an excellent preacher, much better than we Catholics are accustomed to!