You're right about Love is his word. Some years ago, we had it as the offertory hymn at the Maundy Thursday Eucharist. I was one of the cantors at the time, and we were all rather discombobulated when the Head Server/Churchwarden told us to stop singing, as we were 'keeping the priest waiting'...
It's certainly not one of my favourites, although appropriate now and then e.g. Maundy Thursday...
Yes we used to have it as the entrance hymn on Maundy Thursday, but found it too tiring a way to start a long service. Now we start with Meekness and Majesty as it's shorter and references the washing of the disciples feet which forms part of our Liturgy at that Mass.
Our RC menu for Sunday 25A includes
Seek ye first
God forgave my sin (a gentle oom-pah-pah tune)
Bread of life (Farrell)
Though the mountains may fall.
All chosen courtesy of the Archdiocese of Southward Liturgy Planner which saves me many hours (or minutes) of scouring the hymn book.
In Christ there is no east or west - Kilmarnock Peace is flowing like a river Lord, for the years - Lord of the years Let us break bread together Let all the world in every corner sing - Luckington
HC.
Praise my soul the King of heaven- PMS.
Guide me O thou great Redeemer - Cwm Rhondda
Lord for the years- Lord of the years
Thine be the glory- Maccabaeus
Evensong later
Introit: I give you a new commandment- Peter Aston
Responses- Smith
Anthem- Rejoice in the Lord alway- Anon
Hymns:
Light’s abode celestial Salem- Regent Square
Teach me, my God and King- Sandys
Forth in the peace of Christ I go- Duke Street
“Morning Has Broken”/BUNESSAN
“There Is Now a New Creation”/STUTTGART
“There’s a Wideness in God’s Mercy”/IN BABILONE
“Alleluia! Laud and Blessing” (Ps. 111 & 112)/NETTLETON
Kilmarnock is Tune 1 for In Christ there is no east or west in the Orange Book which Piglet's Place uses, but Tune 2 is an 18thC piece called Manchester. I don't think I've ever sung it, but here it is:
Trinity 17 at Our Place tomorrow:
Alleluia, sing to Jesus (Hyfrydol)
Something from The Sheet Blest are the pure in heart (Franconia) Father, hear the prayer we offer (Sussex - hopefully! - or Marching)
That tune is quite delightful - although perhaps a little tricky for congregations to sing. As stated above, I've never sung ICTINEOW to anything but the (rather dull?) "St Bernard".
"Manchester" reminds me of "Harington" which I very much like.
Where I am, it would either be McKEE or ST. PETER.
CH4 sets it to McKEE but it's not the tune I know, rather I would have it to ST STEPHEN (NEWINGTON), a tradition I suspect I acquired from Mission Praise.
More Galatians as our sermon series in that epistle continues. Today - "Justified by Faith Alone" Brother Martin's cockles must be being warmed this morning.
All creatures of our God and King (Lasst Uns Erfreuen)
Be Exalted O God (Brent Chambers)
Nothing but the blood of Jesus (Robert Lowry)
There is a Redeemer (Melody Green)
Wedding ( with choir)
Jesu, bleibet meine Freude - J S Bach
Hymns
Praise my soul the king of heaven
In Christ alone
How great thou art.
Beati quorum via - Stanford
Jubilate Deo - Britten
Grand Choeur in D ‘ Alla Handel’- Alexandre Guilmant ( 1837-1911)
I’m guessing that must be for a church going couple. IME, the standard stuff for weddings is Morning Has Broken, All Things Bright and Beautiful and Jerusalem
... "Manchester" reminds me of "Harington" which I very much like.
Harington will always remind me of the minister who married us, who had been at St Magnus for quite some time; it was a favourite of his.
Our offerings today at St Pete's:
All people that on earth do dwell - Old Hundredth* The Lord's my shepherd - Crimond At the name of Jesus - Evelyns Ubi caritas - Taizé Praise, my soul, the King of heaven- Praise, My Soul
* a bit of self-indulgence on my part: yesterday was the anniversary of David's death, so it was in his memory.
Bit of a weird mix. Visiting preacher and a baptism. "Light of the Word (here I am to worship)" which no-one knew, to the obvious astonishment of the preacher; then some Fred Kaan hymn which was attempted to be sung in canon but didn't work as no-one knew the tune well enough.
It got a bit more normal after that
"I cannot tell" which has me groping for the lowest notes in my gravel register
"Amazing Grace"
"You shall go out with joy*"
O, I once knew a girl called Joy (but not in the biblical sense - let the Reader understand...).
Our Place's Something From The Sheet was a 7-verse epic about St Michael and All Angels (Michaelmas is tomorrow), to the tune Camberwell, mostly associated here with At the name of Jesus.
Patronal Festival for St Michael and all Angels, so we had:
Christ is made the sure foundation
Ye holy angels bright
Angel voices ever singing
Holy, holy, holy is the Lord
For all the saints (all 8 verses!)
I do know “Light of the world/Here I am to worship”. We sing it very occasionally, mainly for the sake of young ordinands on placement who appreciate singing something written in their lifetime.
<snip>
*who is Joy and when do I get introduced to her?
There was an attractive girl called Joy in the youth group of my youth, also a Julie. Some would rather like to have gone out with Joy, others, if asked, would say”My hope to follow Julie*”
“Sing praise to God who reigns above” - Luther's hymn.
“Faithful One, so unchanging” (B. Doerksen).
“I am trusting you, Lord Jesus” - Bullinger.
“Put thou thy trust in God” - Venice.
“Standing on the promises” - its own tune.
"Light of the Word (here I am to worship)" which no-one knew, to the obvious astonishment of the preacher
That song should be banned just for the words “You’re altogether lovely”
My toes didn't half curl!
After the utter car crash attempt to sing it the preacher said "we'll have to try it another time" and it sounded decidely like a threat.
If only modern hymn books printed the melody. Those of us who can read music can then provide a lead to the rest of the congregation, but no, it's the learn through a bleedin' crystal ball apparently.
"Light of the Word (here I am to worship)" which no-one knew, to the obvious astonishment of the preacher
That song should be banned just for the words “You’re altogether lovely”
Song of Solomon 5:16 KJV
His mouth is most sweet: yea, he is altogether lovely.
This is my beloved, and this is my friend, O daughters of Jerusalem.
Given the tradition of seeing this poem as about the love between Jesus and his Church, it's not a line in a worship song which seems completely inappropriate
<snip>
*who is Joy and when do I get introduced to her?
There was an attractive girl called Joy in the youth group of my youth, also a Julie. Some would rather like to have gone out with Joy, others, if asked, would say”My hope to follow Julie*”
(* or should that be ‘duly’?)
The midwife who visited us once we got home after our daughter was born was called Joy and she would always visit in the morning. "Joy cometh in the morning" was a regular joke in our house for quite a while.
We had:
Come, ye thankful people, come To thee, O Lord, our hearts we raise We plough the fields and scatter Lord of beauty, thine the splendour
It was Sung Eucharist and the choir gave the most beautiful rendition of Maurice Greene's Thou visitest the earth which had me, my husband and at least one of the friends we were with moved to tears.
I'm quite fond of Thou visiteth the earth, but I'm always reminded of a lady in the choir in Kirkwall pointing out that care was needed with the diction on "and blessest it" - as she put it, "we don't want any tits".
Now I think about it, I'm quite happy to invoke a blessing on our little bird friends!
I'm quite fond of Thou visiteth the earth, but I'm always reminded of a lady in the choir in Kirkwall pointing out that care was needed with the diction on "and blessest it" - as she put it, "we don't want any tits".
Now I think about it, I'm quite happy to invoke a blessing on our little bird friends!
I'm struggling with how to avoid a tit in "bessest it" without an unnatural pause between the two words.
It's not the easiest piece to sing, but seems to work OK if you don't take it too fast.
The former choir of one of our neighbouring Places, under the direction of a talented vicar (he sang tenor) and an equally talented organist, sang it at a Harvest Evensong I attended, and it is indeed a most beautiful anthem.
I don't mind Light of the world, for all that it has that "forced Americanism" style to it that I generally dislike.
I do not like it; I find it frustrating when charevo worship songs creep into mainstream churches, but then I have my own baggage. I don't go to those places partly to avoid exactly this sort of material.
I'm quite fond of Thou visiteth the earth, but I'm always reminded of a lady in the choir in Kirkwall pointing out that care was needed with the diction on "and blessest it" - as she put it, "we don't want any tits".
Now I think about it, I'm quite happy to invoke a blessing on our little bird friends!
I'm struggling with how to avoid a tit in "bessest it" without an unnatural pause between the two words.
A glottal stop between the words should do the trick.
I got my list out, but I now see they were almost all changed, apart from
All hail the power of Jesus’ name - Miles Lane.
Nothing unusual or memorable about the others.
Harvest festival
Come ye thankful people come
All creatures of our God and king
For the beauty of the earth.
We plough the fields and scatter
Harvest Festival at Our Place tomorrow - a little later than usual, as it's mostly been in September in past times:
Come, ye thankful people, come (St George's Windsor)
Lourdes Gloria For the beauty of the earth (Dix, or, hopefully, England's Lane) Lord's Prayer from the Sheet Make me a channel of your peace (words & music by Sebastian Temple)* We plough the fields and scatter (Wir Pfluegen)
*a nod in the direction of St Francis of Assisi, whose Mass has been transferred to Monday!
Comments
BTW "Love is his word" is one of those hymns that you cannot leave verses out of (so is "The first nowell", but many people do!)
Love is his word has a really clunky tune IMHO.
Yes we used to have it as the entrance hymn on Maundy Thursday, but found it too tiring a way to start a long service. Now we start with Meekness and Majesty as it's shorter and references the washing of the disciples feet which forms part of our Liturgy at that Mass.
God is in His Temple (Groningen)
O My Soul (Townend)
In Christ Alone (Townend)
God is in His Temple is one of my all time favourites
Seek ye first
God forgave my sin (a gentle oom-pah-pah tune)
Bread of life (Farrell)
Though the mountains may fall.
All chosen courtesy of the Archdiocese of Southward Liturgy Planner which saves me many hours (or minutes) of scouring the hymn book.
In Christ there is no east or west - Kilmarnock
Peace is flowing like a river
Lord, for the years - Lord of the years
Let us break bread together
Let all the world in every corner sing - Luckington
Praise my soul the King of heaven- PMS.
Guide me O thou great Redeemer - Cwm Rhondda
Lord for the years- Lord of the years
Thine be the glory- Maccabaeus
Evensong later
Introit: I give you a new commandment- Peter Aston
Responses- Smith
Anthem- Rejoice in the Lord alway- Anon
Hymns:
Light’s abode celestial Salem- Regent Square
Teach me, my God and King- Sandys
Forth in the peace of Christ I go- Duke Street
A Gaelic Blessing- Rutter
We had:
Thou whose almighty word
The Servant King
Allelujah, sing to Jesus
We seek your kingdom throughout every sphere (to the tune of Abide with me)
King of kings, majesty
Psalm 95
Come Thou Fount Of Every Blessing
My hope is built on nothing less ("Cornerstone")
Be thou my vision
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf3u0TbVz2c&list=RDTf3u0TbVz2c&start_radio=1
Lord of the Dance*
One more step
Guide me O thou great redeemer**
Fill thou my life O Lord my God
*Version without the Sky Turned Black verse, which is a shame.
**Hard to sing without accidentally putting on a Welsh accent
“Morning Has Broken”/BUNESSAN
“There Is Now a New Creation”/STUTTGART
“There’s a Wideness in God’s Mercy”/IN BABILONE
“Alleluia! Laud and Blessing” (Ps. 111 & 112)/NETTLETON
Certainly not!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpEycHpPLM8&list=RDzpEycHpPLM8&start_radio=1
Trinity 17 at Our Place tomorrow:
Alleluia, sing to Jesus (Hyfrydol)
Something from The Sheet
Blest are the pure in heart (Franconia)
Father, hear the prayer we offer (Sussex - hopefully! - or Marching)
"Manchester" reminds me of "Harington" which I very much like.
Jesu, bleibet meine Freude - J S Bach
Hymns
Praise my soul the king of heaven
In Christ alone
How great thou art.
Beati quorum via - Stanford
Jubilate Deo - Britten
Grand Choeur in D ‘ Alla Handel’- Alexandre Guilmant ( 1837-1911)
CH4 sets it to McKEE but it's not the tune I know, rather I would have it to ST STEPHEN (NEWINGTON), a tradition I suspect I acquired from Mission Praise.
All creatures of our God and King (Lasst Uns Erfreuen)
Be Exalted O God (Brent Chambers)
Nothing but the blood of Jesus (Robert Lowry)
There is a Redeemer (Melody Green)
I’m guessing that must be for a church going couple. IME, the standard stuff for weddings is Morning Has Broken, All Things Bright and Beautiful and Jerusalem
Harington will always remind me of the minister who married us, who had been at St Magnus for quite some time; it was a favourite of his.
Our offerings today at St Pete's:
All people that on earth do dwell - Old Hundredth*
The Lord's my shepherd - Crimond
At the name of Jesus - Evelyns
Ubi caritas - Taizé
Praise, my soul, the King of heaven- Praise, My Soul
* a bit of self-indulgence on my part: yesterday was the anniversary of David's death, so it was in his memory.
It got a bit more normal after that
"I cannot tell" which has me groping for the lowest notes in my gravel register
"Amazing Grace"
"You shall go out with joy*"
*who is Joy and when do I get introduced to her?
Our Place's Something From The Sheet was a 7-verse epic about St Michael and All Angels (Michaelmas is tomorrow), to the tune Camberwell, mostly associated here with At the name of Jesus.
Christ is made the sure foundation
Ye holy angels bright
Angel voices ever singing
Holy, holy, holy is the Lord
For all the saints (all 8 verses!)
I do know “Light of the world/Here I am to worship”. We sing it very occasionally, mainly for the sake of young ordinands on placement who appreciate singing something written in their lifetime.
(* or should that be ‘duly’?)
“Faithful One, so unchanging” (B. Doerksen).
“I am trusting you, Lord Jesus” - Bullinger.
“Put thou thy trust in God” - Venice.
“Standing on the promises” - its own tune.
Closing prayer.
That song should be banned just for the words “You’re altogether lovely”
My toes didn't half curl!
After the utter car crash attempt to sing it the preacher said "we'll have to try it another time" and it sounded decidely like a threat.
If only modern hymn books printed the melody. Those of us who can read music can then provide a lead to the rest of the congregation, but no, it's the learn through a bleedin' crystal ball apparently.
Song of Solomon 5:16 KJV
His mouth is most sweet: yea, he is altogether lovely.
This is my beloved, and this is my friend, O daughters of Jerusalem.
Given the tradition of seeing this poem as about the love between Jesus and his Church, it's not a line in a worship song which seems completely inappropriate
The midwife who visited us once we got home after our daughter was born was called Joy and she would always visit in the morning. "Joy cometh in the morning" was a regular joke in our house for quite a while.
We had:
Come, ye thankful people, come
To thee, O Lord, our hearts we raise
We plough the fields and scatter
Lord of beauty, thine the splendour
It was Sung Eucharist and the choir gave the most beautiful rendition of Maurice Greene's Thou visitest the earth which had me, my husband and at least one of the friends we were with moved to tears.
Now I think about it, I'm quite happy to invoke a blessing on our little bird friends!
I'm struggling with how to avoid a tit in "bessest it" without an unnatural pause between the two words.
The former choir of one of our neighbouring Places, under the direction of a talented vicar (he sang tenor) and an equally talented organist, sang it at a Harvest Evensong I attended, and it is indeed a most beautiful anthem.
I do not like it; I find it frustrating when charevo worship songs creep into mainstream churches, but then I have my own baggage. I don't go to those places partly to avoid exactly this sort of material.
A glottal stop between the words should do the trick.
Hymns:
Praise o praise our God and King
Come ye thankful people come
God whose farm is all creation
Great is thy faithfulness
Choir:
Thou visitest the earth (Maurice Green)
God in such love for us (Archer)
Look at the world (Rutter)
Poetry from Wendell Berry 'The Timbered Choir' and from William Harold McCreary
The DoM enthused us singers to don our 'Rutter Faces' - your guesses are welcome!
The service worked really well and had good energy + direction. (IMO 'songs of praise' with 8 double meter hymns are a grind! - this was super)
Closing organ voluntary was Marche Triumphale (Karg - Elert)
Cheers
Heron
I got my list out, but I now see they were almost all changed, apart from
All hail the power of Jesus’ name - Miles Lane.
Nothing unusual or memorable about the others.
Harvest festival
Come ye thankful people come
All creatures of our God and king
For the beauty of the earth.
We plough the fields and scatter
Come, ye thankful people, come (St George's Windsor)
Lourdes Gloria
For the beauty of the earth (Dix, or, hopefully, England's Lane)
Lord's Prayer from the Sheet
Make me a channel of your peace (words & music by Sebastian Temple)*
We plough the fields and scatter (Wir Pfluegen)
*a nod in the direction of St Francis of Assisi, whose Mass has been transferred to Monday!