Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Timeless Test Continued

Comments

• Australian cricket has just suffered a double blow with the deaths of Rodney Marsh and Shane Warne in the past 24 hours.
  • I'm gobsmacked. Warne was only two years older than me and went from being the Aussie bogeyman to a bit of a hero when I took up bowling legspin - not least because you realise how bloody hard it is to do at all, never mind well. With Sonny Ramadhin as well, the Elysian Oval home team has some very decent new recruits (gods, I'd have loved to be a fly on the wall if you got Sonny & Shane together).
  • TelfordTelford Shipmate
    edited March 2022
    Australian cricket has just suffered a double blow with the deaths of Rodney Marsh and Shane Warne in the past 24 hours.

Rod Marsh has a difficult start and was once called "Iron gloves". He became one of the great Keepers. Usually batted at 7 but was good enough to bat at 6.

Shane Wayne hit the ground running at test level. Deserved better than a top test score of 99. The greatest ever slow bowler. Would have been an excellent test captain.
  • Shane Warne. Greatest Spinner Ever, as far as I'm concerned. May you be permitted entry to the Lord's enclosure.

AFZ
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    I started a separate thread before coming across these posts - apologies.
    Todays's test match.

After a gingerly start, Bairstow scored an excellent century. Well done Jonny.
    edited March 2022
    If this was a timeless test England would have an excellent chance to win. As it stands, they would have to bowl West Indies out in about 2 full sessions
  • HedgehogHedgehog Shipmate
    edited March 2022
    An intriguing match going on now between England and WI. I don't see any likely path to victory for WI, but another draw is definitely on the cards.

But I have been wrong before.

Sadly, the Cricket Explanation thread has been consigned to Oblivion (although I have it bookmarked) but I don't think this question was asked there: what are the rules about when a new ball is available?
  • Hedgehog wrote: »
    what are the rules about when a new ball is available?

Currently 80 overs after the last new ball.
    Hedgehog wrote: »
    An intriguing match going on now between England and WI. I don't see any likely path to victory for WI, but another draw is definitely on the cards.

But I have been wrong before.
    But not this time. West Indies played for a draw as soon as they started their first innings.

In the league my club play in, you can have points for a winning draw and a lot less points for a losing draw. West Indies earned a losing draw.

My man of the match would be Leach as he played positively. The other candidate, Braithwaite played negatively probably due to his assessment of the the capabilities of his team.

Yes, WI was playing for a draw as soon as they started their first innings. That did not surprise me, in light of England's first innings run total. I didn't think WI had the firepower to match that--and apparently the WI team agreed.
    Hedgehog wrote: »
    Yes, WI was playing for a draw as soon as they started their first innings. That did not surprise me, in light of England's first innings run total. I didn't think WI had the firepower to match that--and apparently the WI team agreed.

They had the option to score quicker and/or declare late on the 4th day even though they would be behind
  • The statisticians are having fun tonight after that extended 10th wicket cameo.
  • Yes, the last time Nos 10 and 11 were the top scorers was 1885!
  • TukaiTukai Shipmate
    Australia beat Pakistan in Pakistan for the first time for decades. Well done! And apparently the whole series was played in good spirit by both sides. Pitches were mostly roads, except on day 5 of the last test: Khawaja made 2 centuries and a 97 for Australia, while Babar saved the second test for Pakistan with 196 in the fourth innings.
  • rhubarbrhubarb Shipmate
    Caught Marsh, bowled Lillee. I grew up revelling in these words.
    rhubarb wrote: »
    Caught Marsh, bowled Lillee. I grew up revelling in these words.

I didn't, but I certainly appreciated their ability
  • If it wasn't for those first evening heroics, we would have had an innings defeat ☹️. At least the ladies have picked up after their dismal start to the World Cup
    Rejoice. The English cricket season starts today
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Who gets to chip the ice from the pitch? Silly mid-off?
    Gee D wrote: »
    Who gets to chip the ice from the pitch? Silly mid-off?
    I have played on the 2nd Sunday in October but I have never played in March.

• Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Your post which prompted my comment was dated yesterday, still in March.
    Gee D wrote: »
    Your post which prompted my comment was dated yesterday, still in March.
    Quite. A fairly dry March as good to groundsmen although Worcester will be playing at Kidderminster rather than the county ground New Road.

My club play their first league fixture on 16 April but will play friendlies the weekend before.
    I was pleased about the special service yesterday for the 12th man
    Pendragon wrote: »
    At least the ladies have picked up after their dismal start to the World Cup
    And now they have made it into the Final!
  • rhubarbrhubarb Shipmate
    Wonderful result for our amazing Australian ladies' team to win the world final !!!
  • Wesley JWesley J Circus Host
    Well done, Aussie ladies' team! :)
    Very entertaining! Alyssa Healy's score was phenomenal!
    It is Memorial Day Weekend in USA, and I have been enjoying it by watching cricket on YouTube. There is a new cricket grounds open in Pearland, Texas (just outside of Houston) and it is going to be the site for a number of ICC World Cup League 2 ODI matches.

Yesterday, USA (310/5) beat Scotland (206). They are back at it again today. Yes, back to back ODIs in Texas heat--mad respect for both teams! Scotland has just finished its innings at 300/7. USA will start it chase in another few minutes.

Willow TV is showing the match for free on YouTube.
    Harry Brook has to play in England's first test match !!!!
    The USA failed in its chase, being all out at 189. Tomorrow is a day off, and then Scotland has to face UAE on Tuesday.
  • TurquoiseTasticTurquoiseTastic Kerygmania Host
    Telford wrote: »

I have only just heard about this person (in Mark Ramprakash's column). Is he any good?

I have only just heard about this person (in Mark Ramprakash's column). Is he any good?
    Let's look at the stats. 6 first class games, 9 innings, 840 runs, highest score 194. 3 centuries. Average 140

That's this year, I'm assuming, rather than "entire career"? Well he certainly seems to be in form so why not give him a whirl? It's not as though the incumbents have been doing fantastically well!
  • Interesting article on Test Match ticket prices: https://tinyurl.com/43rwa89r
    That's this year, I'm assuming, rather than "entire career"? Well he certainly seems to be in form so why not give him a whirl? It's not as though the incumbents have been doing fantastically well!

I am annoyed to say that he's not playing !!!!
  • PendragonPendragon Shipmate
    That was some first morning!
  • Pride often cometh before a what's-it's-name ...
    Pride often cometh before a what's-it's-name ...
    "Collapse"?
    Timeless test not needed. England's batting needed someone who is in excellent form.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    And when did they last have such a paragon? I think one Wednesday afternoon in 1976 - or perhaps it was 1983.
    Anyone want to buy a ticket for Sunday . Half price !!!!!!
  • When was the last 2 day test?
    When was the last 2 day test?

About 20 odd years ago v West Indies. I may have to withdraw my offer
    Gasp!!! New Zealand has been batting for more than 50 overs. I guess this really is a Test match and not just two consecutive days of ODIs.
    When was the last 2 day test?

About 20 odd years ago v West Indies. I may have to withdraw my offer

Offer officially withdrawn.
    Yes I envy you those tickets Telford, but you better get down there quickly tomorrow morning! It should be an exciting session but you'll need to make other plans for the afternoon...
    Yes I envy you those tickets Telford, but you better get down there quickly tomorrow morning! It should be an exciting session but you'll need to make other plans for the afternoon...

If England lose a wicket it could be over very quickly, Most of the top 6 have failed so the question is, "Which of the bowlers will they drop?"

• KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    And it is over. We win by five wickets.

And only two days ago I thought England were busily grabbing defeat out of the very jaws of victory, as they so often do.
    England win ! and it was proper test cricket. Well done Joe Root