Ship of Fools: Selly Oak Methodist, Birmingham, England

imageShip of Fools: Selly Oak Methodist, Birmingham, England

Sunflowers galore but no mention of Jesus

Read the full Mystery Worshipper report here

Comments

• Dyannes2023Dyannes2023 Shipmate Posts: 1
    This account made me laugh so much!
  • Welcome aboard @Dyannes2023 !

I found the Report rather depressing, although the awfulness of the Buntings' experience was expressed in a wry and humorous way. Things may hopefully have changed since 2008...
  • I've been to that church occasionally for funerals etc. and always thought it was a good solid Methodist place, with Jesus mentioned more than once. Mind you, it was a good few years ago.
  • Mind you, it was a good few years ago.
    Ah, but so was the report—14½ years ago. We can hope things have improved.
  • Nick Tamen wrote: »
    Mind you, it was a good few years ago.
    Ah, but so was the report—14½ years ago. We can hope things have improved.

Their current website (a work in progress) mentions Jesus quite a lot, along with social justice - hopefully reflected in their worship, outreach, and welcome!
  • Afaik they are very involved with the University of Birmingham chaplaincy and Methodist Society, and the Student Christian Movement. I'm pretty sure I've been there for an SCM event? If it's the right place that I'm thinking of we were there for an event about churches supporting refugees, and after the Sunday morning service some people from the congregation cooked us a wonderful Indian meal. Jesus was definitely mentioned many times!
  • ashleyashley Shipmate Posts: 5
    I live near this church. Silly question but why has this suddenly appeared on the forum when the report was written so many years ago?
    Also, the photo showing on this thread is most certainly not Selly Oak Methodist Church :smile:
  • :lol:

ISTM that the Editor sometimes recycles old reports just for the fun of it...and to keep interest in MW alive.

The photo is, I think, of St Mary Magdalene, Paddington - subject of a rather more recent report.
  • I think it’s not so much that a host recycled an old report, and more that people sometimes spend some time reading through old reports, or looking for reports from a certain place or denomination, and then comment without noticing the date.

As for the picture, I think the system has some kind of glitch in it that unless someone with hosting/admin rights goes in and corrects it, a forum thread about an older MW report will show a picture from a recent report.

• Nick Tamen wrote: »
    I think it’s not so much that a host recycled an old report, and more that people sometimes spend some time reading through old reports, or looking for reports from a certain place or denomination, and then comment without noticing the date.
    <snip>

Yes, you could well be right.
    :wink: