Ship of Fools: St. Ignatius, San Francisco, California, USA

imageShip of Fools: St. Ignatius, San Francisco, California, USA

The joy, calling and promise of the Christian faith in a lively and warm-hearted service

Read the full Mystery Worshipper report here

Comments

• Nick TamenNick Tamen Shipmate
    Ha! I’m sure that Lasst uns unfreuen was a typo, and that it should have been Lasst uns erfreuen, the tune to which “All Creatures of Our God and King” is sung.

Thanks for the report, @Portola! The son of some good friends is just finishing up his freshman year at the University of San Francisco, so I found it particularly interesting.

• PortolaPortola Shipmate Posts: 38
    Yes, "Lasst uns unfreuen" was obviously a typo. "Lasst uns erfreuen" is possibly the original title. However, "Lasst uns nun freuen" (Let us now rejoice) sounds more convincing to me.
    Portola wrote: »
    Yes, "Lasst uns unfreuen" was obviously a typo. "Lasst uns erfreuen" is possibly the original title. However, "Lasst uns nun freuen" (Let us now rejoice) sounds more convincing to me.
    No, it is Lasst uns erfreuen, which is a German hymn and tune.

• BeanthereBeanthere Shipmate Posts: 2
    As an ex-Roman Catholic, I did enjoy this report - yes, RCs usually know the words of the liturgy. I taught in a RC school for years, and used to make a point of finding prayer books for other non-RC staff. If you weren't RC you didn't exist seemed to be their World View. I'm glad you felt able to receive the Sacrament, it must indeed have been a welcoming place.
    Thank you, Nick Tamen, for tracking down "Lasst uns erfreuen herzlich sehr" (Let us rejoice heartily). It is striking that the original melody goes up to high F, indicating that this hymn was composed at a time (17th century) when people could sing higher than today, perhaps because they sang more often. The English version we sung in St. Ignatius only went up to D.
    It is striking that the original melody goes up to high F, indicating that this hymn was composed at a time (17th century) when people could sing higher than today, perhaps because they sang more often.
    Yes, I noticed that, too. Striking indeed!

Beanthere wrote: »
    I'm glad you felt able to receive the Sacrament, it must indeed have been a welcoming place.
    As a rule, I do not participate in the Eucharist in RC churches. I respect the stance of the RC church that non-Catholics are not officially invited. It is a question of theological integrity, which I think I understand. So your comment that "it must indeed have been a welcoming place" hits the mark. As I wrote in the report: I felt completely at home in this service and felt that it would be a sign of respect to receive the host.

• EnochEnoch Shipmate
    ...It is striking that the original melody goes up to high F, indicating that this hymn was composed at a time (17th century) when people could sing higher than today, perhaps because they sang more often. ...
    Not necessarily. Pitches have steadily risen over the centuries. Wind instruments made in the mid 19th century are a good semitone lower than modern pitch, and that's less than half way back until the 17th century.

Regarding the last comment from Enoch: Here in Germany where I live I have experienced successive hymn books. In the more recent book, several hymns were set one tone deeper than in the previous version. As a choir singer I have noticed that I can sing higher if I sing frequently. If I go a few weeks without singing, I can't hit high notes anymore. Earlier generations produced their own house music; there was more singing at home and in the schools. Today, music has become mostly a listening experience.