›

AI versus human beings.

124»

Comments

  • pease wrote: »
    For me, that article has restricted access. (Although I have read articles from other people who were invited to attend the meetings.)
    Here is a “gift link,” so anyone should be able to access the full article.


  • BroJamesBroJames Purgatory Host
    Thank you. Genuinely appreciated. But you still have to “Log in [with your email address, or the usual alternatives] to read for free”
  • HugalHugal Shipmate
    Nick Tamen wrote: »
    Hugal wrote: »
    pease wrote: »
    You do realise that introducing AI slop into a discussion without clearly labelling it is a big no-no, non?

    And this:
    It sounded like a socially awkward person trying to make jokes at a party.
    Isn't going to win you many friends here.

    The second point I agree with. The first no. Tilly Norwood is known. She is the AI actor so by saying it was her you are being warned it is AI.
    Tilly Norwood was unknown to me. I had to look “her” up.


    Ok I guess I thought she or it was more well known than she is. You live and learn
  • Nick TamenNick Tamen Shipmate
    edited October 2
    BroJames wrote: »
    Thank you. Genuinely appreciated. But you still have to “Log in [with your email address, or the usual alternatives] to read for free”
    Interesting. Thanks I didn’t know that.


  • peasepease Tech Admin
    As BroJames says, it appears that you need to supply credentials to read the full article. It's possible your browser might be configured to do this by default.
  • peasepease Tech Admin
    edited October 4
    Writing in The Atlantic (more restricted access, I'm afraid, but in the bit that should be accessible), David Robinson, the guy responsible for writing safety reports at OpenAI:
    I Quit OpenAI Because Its Culture Is Broken

    What I’m about to tell you has, I realize, become something of a cliché: I resigned this week from OpenAI. I led the writing of the safety reports we published with each major launch. Now I’m joining a parade of former colleagues—at OpenAI and the industry’s other leaders—who have decided that the current path is unacceptable.

    I agree with other recently departed staff that the companies building this technology aren’t being nearly careful enough. But I believe that we need to look deeper than specific rules or new laws. We need to talk about culture.

    The future depends on wisdom that Silicon Valley lacks. Wisdom about how to handle dangerous technology and, more fundamentally, wisdom about what it means to care for people.

    As it's a Sunday, today's take-away is that these people (the ones who don't resign) are subconsciously trying to create new gods, ones made in "our" (actually their) own image. Their hope is that these new gods will look on them, as their creators, more favourably than the rest of us. It's increasingly hard to see how this will end well.

    If we're lucky, Vulcan's Hammer may turn out to be prescient.
  • peasepease Tech Admin
    Sam Altman, head of OpenAI, has been out and about, doing interviews with anyone who will listen. Excerpts from his interview with Politico (Decoded), which received a fair amount of attention:
    One of the differences between us and some of the stricter AI safety people is that we believe that the world should accept some bad things happening for the benefits of this technology and people having the agency.

    I do think the lighter touch regulatory stance we advocate for comes with an accepting of the fact that some bad things are going to happen as society figures out the resilience.

    … I think that people will do tremendously – orders of magnitude – more good stuff than bad stuff.

    If we do too much to restrict this technology in the name of safety, and we end up with a small number of companies or people — or perhaps one country — that have too much power over this, that also is a way that this can go horribly wrong, because people are shut out of the kind of power and benefits and control and agency over the future they should have.
    Of the varied consequential issues, he doesn't seem to have considered the circumstances that are likely to distinguish the people in the world to whom good things will happen from those to whom bad things will happen.

    In late capitalism, the word for people to whom good things happen is "investors".
  • BoogieBoogie Heaven Host
    edited 8:32AM

    A photographer is warning parents who use artificial intelligence to take the watermark off school pictures about the dangers of how companies can use images of their children.

    AI is being used to steal school pictures, photographers warn - BBC News

    [Link removed - Boogie has provided a better link, below. North East Quine, Purgatory host]
  • peasepease Tech Admin
    Please try to avoid using google's "shareable links". (It appears that google has set the default for this configurable option in android to "on".)

    The BBC news story is at https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cr5ye4p86d21o
  • peasepease Tech Admin
    Yo!
  • sionisaissionisais Shipmate
    pease wrote: »
    ……

    In late capitalism, the word for people to whom good things happen is "investors".

    I understand that investors are the intended beneficiaries of capitalism, but if by “late capitalism” you mean what is sometimes called “debtism”, then those who invest in lenders will do better still.

    If one can identify the corporations backing AI enterprises, one should be quids/dollars/euros in.

Sign In or Register to comment.