Ship of Fools: New York Avenue Presbyterian, Washington, DC

imageShip of Fools: New York Avenue Presbyterian, Washington, DC

Blessings in abundance at this very historic and very friendly church

Read the full Mystery Worshipper report here

Comments

• Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited October 2018
    This really sounds like a church I'd feel at home in, should I ever visit Washington! The invitation to an open table is especially appealing.

At a shade under 6'0" tall myself, though, I sympathise with Mr. Lincoln. I didn't know that he was such a tall man for his time - a giant in more ways than one.

Whatever one makes of the pastor's sermon on this occasion, it does sound as though he is fully aware of the Bad Things in American life and society today, and is not afraid to express his views within earshot, as it were, of the White House.

I fully appreciate, of course, that America does not have a monopoly on misogyny, homophobia, and racism......
  • Whatever one makes of the pastor's sermon on this occasion, it does sound as though he is fully aware of the Bad Things in American life and society today, and is not afraid to express his views within earshot, as it were, of the White House.

As if the current occupant of the Executive Mansion would ever set foot in the church, even though he claims to be Presbyterian.

I reported on this church quite a few years ago -- won't bother linking to the report -- and found it to be as lovely then as our present MWer found it.
  • :lol:

Did the previous President ever worship at this church? AIUI, he and Michelle both identify as Christians, probably of the sort which would feel welcome here!
  • So far as I can discover, Obama was not a regular churchgoer but did attend an occasional Episcopal or AME Zion service during his presidency.
  • ClimacusClimacus Shipmate
    edited October 2018
    I had not heard of Peter Marshall nor waving leaflets* before. Thank you Lifelong layman.

Beautiful report too. Your love and being struck by the history shone through.

* is this done to give "silent" acclaim?