Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Animal companions in our happy homes

Comments

• jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    D-U and her dear hubby have completed a secret mission that has been in the works for a number of months, even while Prince was alive and doing well. I had a few hints , but didn't put two and two together, which is typical for me!

She called me yesterday asking if I could go to her house. She had a feeble reason of 'not feeling well', which was very suspicious, because her dear hubby is her comfort during those times of medical problems. But, I drove to her place, and when I opened the door, she was holding two kittens!!!

We miss Prince with all our hearts, but these little boys are so loving and sweet, that they will be a huge help in getting through the ache we feel.
  • BoogieBoogie Heaven Host
    Oh @jedijudy - that’s lovely news.

One of the best thing about kittens/puppies is that they keep you so busy and amused, it’s hard to be sad. The pain of loss never goes away but smiling at new fur babies is a great help with the grieving, I think.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Happy new pussycats, JJ and Daughter-Unit!
  • LothlorienLothlorien Glory
    edited March 2019

How lovely of your DU. Do the kittens have names yet?
  • RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host, Glory
    Yes: Enquiring minds want to know kitten genders, colorations, and names.

And good for DU!

• Gill HGill H Shipmate
    Happy new kitties!
  • Aw. That’s so lovely. Looking forward to hearing all about their antics!
    They are two male cream point ragdolls, and the larger boy has a mink coat. They haven't shared their secret names with my kids yet, but they might possibly be Romulus and Remus!

These are going to be quite large kitties, as they are not 11 weeks old yet, but weigh almost four pounds each.

They are little purrbabies!!!

We are pretty sure that Prince and his brothers had ragdoll ancestry, as they were also huge and had a lot of ragdoll traits, such as being loving, docile, and...well...boneless!
  • I never really believed the boneless bit, until a half-Ragdoll came to live at our expense.
    BETWS-Y-COED (otherwise known as Betsy) seems to be able to turn it on and off at will, which is quite alarming.
    Don't know what the other half is. She's quite a small cat, but the paws are huge.

Look forward to hearing about your boys.
  • The problem with two cats though is that when one does mischief you can not tell who did it. Have you noticed cats unlike dogs never ever look guilty. They have no shame.
  • Ah, but the less guilty they look, the more you know they did that - to that - with that - on that.
  • What a lovely surprise @jedijudy .

Cats not only don’t look guilty they look aloof and superior, as if you shouldn’t even dare suspect them of anything at all.
    edited March 2019
    The problem with two cats though is that when one does mischief you can not tell who did it. Have you noticed cats unlike dogs never ever look guilty. They have no shame.

Dogs don’t feel guilt or shame either - they are exclusively human feelings. They look guilty, but that’s a reaction to their human’s emotion, not actual guilt.

I think cats mean to do the naughty things! Some look quite proud of themselves when they cause their human staff to do extra work.
  • Boogie, i know that is the case but our German Shepherd used to tell me on those occasions when she had been digging in the garden. Fortunately this was not a regular thing, but as I opened the backdoor, a mask of guilt would appear and she would slink down the stairs. Then she would go straight to where she had been digging and would look up at me. I would scold her and she would be happy again,not guilt, no hang dog look but bouncy and happy.

She was an amazing dog and we had her about 18 years. Adored my sons, especially the youngest . She guarded him carefully, would not let him in back lane if his father was out there. Son climbed all over her with no reaction from her. However, she could not resist Anzac biscuits and she would follow son around when I had been baking and very gently remove the biscuit from his hand.
  • The best cat in the world is 20. She's the sort who comes and holds up her front paws to picked up and then puts one paw on either side of your neck. In warm weather I frequently carry her on walks. But he has started meYOWing at 3 and 4 a.m. The dog is not good enough for her comfort. Driving us a bit nuts actually. She seems frail sometimes but then gets really active when a rabbit or bird shows up in the front yard.

We're not sure what's going on. She's lost some teeth, gets all sort of special everything. I'm ready for one of us to be drugged.
  • It might just be her age. At 20 she's allowed her eccentricities. Our Francesca, at 23, started getting fits. They were terrifying to watch, but didn't seem to bother her. We carried on with little treats and silliness until we couldn't.
    Oh damn, crying again.
    The problem with two cats though is that when one does mischief you can not tell who did it. Have you noticed cats unlike dogs never ever look guilty. They have no shame.
    You can more easily tell which one did it if they're not both the same color. Now that I have one coal black half-Siamese cat and one dilute tortie, it's easier to spot the culprit.

Cats do have shame. If I catch one on the countertop in the kitchen, she's mortified.

• MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Discovered a tiny geometric tortoise in my garden, presumably attracted by all the indigenous bushes and roots, berries, etc. The small dogs are ignoring it and I am not engaging with it at all unless it shows signs of being in distress. It trundled under a Carissa bush, then emerged and headed off towards some plectranthus and now can't be seen at all. Thrilled to know it is there and have named it Tortellini.
  • MooMoo Kerygmania Host
    Rossweisse wrote: »
    Cats do have shame. If I catch one on the countertop in the kitchen, she's mortified.

But is that a matter of guilt or concern about losing face? I remember once sitting with a group of people with a cat in the room. The cat tried to jump from one place to another but miscalculated the distance. She held on by her front paws until she could scramble up. We all laughed, and she was very miffed with us.

Rossweisse wrote: »
    ...Cats do have shame. If I catch one on the countertop in the kitchen, she's mortified.
    But presumably only if you catch her ... :mrgreen:
    Moo wrote: »
    But is that a matter of guilt or concern about losing face? ...
    I think the former, in that context. The misjudged jump gets a very different reaction. (Frequently, it's a sit-down and a wash: "I meant to do that.") But they know they don't belong on the counters.

• We have two cats here, settling as we all are, into living in a shared house. They do know the rules but sometimes appear to be showing off one to the other. We have several strategically placed spray bottles of water. The sight of one of those sends both of them well out of the room to hide away from the spray.
  • BelisariusBelisarius Admin Emeritus
    Our elderly dog was on cortisone, which wound up affecting his bladder, and one day we weren't home when he needed to go out; he acted upset before we knew what had happened.
    Belisarius wrote: »
    Our elderly dog was on cortisone, which wound up affecting his bladder, and one day we weren't home when he needed to go out; he acted upset before we knew what had happened.

Dogs hate messing their ‘den’.

• NicoleMRNicoleMR Shipmate
    I'm very worried about my turtle. She is lethargic, has no appetite, and seems weak. I'm going to take her to the vet asap.
    NicoleMR wrote: »
    I'm very worried about my turtle. She is lethargic, has no appetite, and seems weak. I'm going to take her to the vet asap.

Sorry to hear that - hope she’s well again soon.
    I hope the vet is able to help your turtle, Nicole.
    Best wishes for the turtle, Nicole!
  • MiliMili Shipmate
    My friend who helped train guide dog Raffa is back in Australia for a visit and has more access/time for social media. She loved Keano's blog. Sadly this week there have been floods in the town where she usually lives and works overseas and at least 50 people have died. I'm glad my friend is safely here, but it is difficult for her knowing people she knows have died, are missing or have had their homes destroyed. Her friend was looking after her house and her current dog Robbie and had to evacuate and leave Robbie behind. Robbie thankfully survived and the house was not too badly damaged. Other parts of the town have been totally wiped out. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-47602836 Please pray for everyone there.
    Oh, Mili, I'm glad that the friend and Robbie are OK. Floods are so destructive and can happen so quickly. <votive>

For those of you who have been looking for kitten pictures on the book of face, I have just posted some! Daughter-Unit was afraid that Loki, the littler one, was losing weight. Nope. He gained about three ounces, but Drax gained a whole pound! In one week! The contrast in them fooled D-U into thinking Loki wasn't doing as well.

Drax surely can't gain a pound a week forever, can he? Nah. Otherwise a year from now he'd weigh 56 pounds. :lol:
    jedijudy wrote: »
    ... Drax surely can't gain a pound a week forever, can he? Nah. Otherwise a year from now he'd weigh 56 pounds. :lol:
    Megapussycat.

With a name like Drax, is he going to audition for a part as the Evil Cat of a Bond villain? :naughty:
    Nah, he and Loki are part of the Marvel universe! Drax is a Guardian of the Galaxy...big, strong, pretty (?) but a bit on the slow side. Loki is Thor's brother and a trickster! So, two supers.

MY grandkitties, however, are sweet and lovable and super, too! Drax is a bit clumsy, but that might be because of his huge paws!!!
    edited March 2019
    I just checked them out on Fb, Judy - what lovely kitties!
    My turtle is acting much better, but I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow anyway.

Love the kitten pics, JJ.
    I hope the vet gives you a good health report for your turtle, Nicole!

Thanks for the kind words about my sweet Grandkitties! I have been over to D-U's house much more than normal recently. Surprise!
    The turtle is spending the night at the vets for tests, but I'm not too worried. She's having X-rays and blood tests tomorrow.
  • Hope all turns out well for your turtle. Does he/she have a name?
    Yes, her name is Christy. Or Christie, I've never been quite sure how to spell it. My daughter named her when we got her, my daughter was 5, so it's not a clever or fancy name.

I call today between 2 and 3 to see how she is.
    Hope it’s easily treatable @NicoleMR.

Slo-mo Spencer.

Can you see the white spot on his tail? - they are white hairs!
    edited March 2019
    Is that a genetic thing, like the Mallen Streak in the Catherine Cookson books?

eta: hope Christy's going to be OK, Nicole!
    Update, they're keeping her an additional night, but she seems to be doing well from what they said.

• Boogie wrote: »
    Hope it’s easily treatable @NicoleMR.

Slo-mo Spencer.

Can you see the white spot on his tail? - they are white hairs!
    That looks like fun!

• Until someone has to dry them...
    Brings back memories of trying to clean my mother's beagle. Canine version of the forth road bridge...
    Just heard from the vet about my turtle. All seems well, and she's coming home tonight.
  • NicoleMR wrote: »
    Just heard from the vet about my turtle. All seems well, and she's coming home tonight.
    Wonderful news!
    :smile:

NicoleMR wrote: »
    Oh, good!

• Hurray for a healthy turtle!
    Excellent, @NicoleMR !
  • So happy your turtle is healthy Nicole.