Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Animal companions in our happy homes

Comments

• North East QuineNorth East Quine Purgatory Host
    Cathscats wrote: »
    He devoted much energy to your amusement!

Did I mention the gravy in my coffee or the plastic cat poo under the dining table?
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    North East Loon, you are pure evil. :naughty:
  • I must say I thought the post about church of fools returning was probably an April Fool. Surprised there have been none that I have seen on board.
  • AravisAravis Shipmate
    Plastic cat poo on the floor would have been less of a problem than the genuine kitten poo smudges we had in various areas of the house tonight and yesterday evening. Little Lyra is very excited that my daughter is home to play with her, so as soon as she’s finished eating she wants to race round the house chasing things. This brings on a need to do a poo, but as it’s very boring covering up your poo in the tray when you’re in the middle of a game, she’s stepped in it and run off around the house - two nights in a row. My daughter’s just cleaned smelly little smudges off her bedroom wall and changed her sheets, amid much swearing, and has decided she doesn’t like kittens as much as she thought she did.
    I don’t think Lyra has an upset stomach or anything - she just needs to be encouraged into calmer habits in the evenings somehow.
  • The cat asks what the eff we're doing in HER house all the time. She is 23 so we try to be tolerant. The dog thinks were great. The fish are indifferent. The rabbits in the park are scheming. There were 13 of them having a meeting this morning in the park.
  • The cat asks what the eff we're doing in HER house all the time. She is 23 so we try to be tolerant. The dog thinks were great. The fish are indifferent. The rabbits in the park are scheming. There were 13 of them having a meeting this morning in the park.
    I love the scheming rabbits! :smile:

I saw a photograph of deserted New York City the other day -- a lone pigeon was standing near an empty park bench. It was probably wondering where the people who drop all their food scraps have gone. This could well reduce the number of pigeons in many cities. (And who will provide food for Pizza Rat?)
    ... The rabbits in the park are scheming. There were 13 of them having a meeting this morning in the park.
    Haven't they heard about the "no gatherings of more than 10" rule? :mrgreen:
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    And are they keeping 2 metres apart?

• Think our Maisie cat may just have had a stroke. Rolled off the couch and suddenly can’t use her back legs. We will have to see a vet tomorrow, maybe by video. Meanwhile making her as comfortable as we can.
    Oh, poor wee thing! :cry:
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    Poor Maisie! :cry:
  • Ach, I'm sorry!
  • RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host, Glory
    Oh, poor Maisie! Please keep us apprised of how she does.
  • I will still contact the vet, but this morning, she seems fine in her legs (she has an on-going problem with her cheek and an abscess). She is leaping over the furniture and demanded out after being kept in all night. So she may not have climbed her last tree after all! :smile:
    Yay! for Maisie.
    Excellent - well done Maisie! :)
  • Virtual consultation done, Maisie much admired as ever - she is a long-haired tortoiseshell, and most alluring - and antibiotics in the post for a seeping wound on her face (swollen for a while now, and probably cancer). Oh joy, pills to administer.....
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Getting a cat to take a pill is one of life's scarier ordeals. I still have deep raked scars on my right wrist from a tortoiseshell encounter 15 years ago.

Go, Maisie!
    Glad Maisie still has more of her nine lives left!
  • She is currently snoring loudly on the couch.
    Brava, Maisie!
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    YaY Maisie!

Tabbies Rule The World - according to Aroha.
  • DormouseDormouse Shipmate
    Our tried and tested routine for the daily administration of pills is crush it, mix with a smidge of butter and cream cheese ( or liver pate) grab Pomme's scruff and smear it on her paws. She then either licks it off or occasionally wipes it on the sofa! She has learned to go and hide around pill time so we have to vary it. If we do it too early, however, she forgets she's had it and goes away to hide anyway!
  • When the pills come - today I hope - I will go down the tuna route, since that has worked before. She is so keen to get at tuna she doesn't notice the wee hard extra bits. But I have to keep Domino, her daughter (black with white markings) out of the room or the wrong cat will be medicated!
  • BoogieBoogie Heaven Host
    I buy cat ‘pill pockets’ for my dogs. They work well.

Get well soon Maisie xx

🐈
  • Jane RJane R Shipmate
    Glad to hear Maisie is getting better. I, on the other hand, have developed tennis elbow from playing Fetch endlessly in the back garden (to make up for the lack of off-lead walks - we don't really have anywhere safe to let Minnie the Minx off without driving into the country or to the beach, and you're not supposed to drive for exercise if you don't have to).

She's loving the extra games, but really misses her doggy friends. We can't let her play with them, either.
  • Lily PadLily Pad Shipmate
    Everything is mud here. Very hard to find an off-leash spot. Mine finally had a bath yesterday after three days of just toweling her off at the door. Spring arrived in about two days this year.
  • ZappaZappa Shipmate
    I am one convinced that dogs are very happy about Covid-19, and lockdown. Under current NZ law dogwalks is one rare exception to "stay home." Constant pats and long (local area) walks = happy dogs.
  • I was saying to a friend the other day that COVID-19 isn't a plot by Obama, the "fake news," the Democrats, etc. It was all the work of dogs in order to keep their people home all day every day.
    :smile:
  • NicoleMRNicoleMR Shipmate
    I am very worried about my cat, Sybil. She's quite elderly, we don't know how old because she was a rescue, but my mother got her in 2004 (I took her after my mother died) and she was an adult cat then, so she's a minimum of 17. She was fine until yesterday, but last night she didn't eat well, this morning she threw up, and she's been wrong all day. She doesn't seem interested in eating anything tonight.
  • cgichardcgichard Shipmate
    NicoleMR wrote: »
    I am very worried about my cat, Sybil. She's quite elderly, we don't know how old because she was a rescue, but my mother got her in 2004 (I took her after my mother died) and she was an adult cat then, so she's a minimum of 17. She was fine until yesterday, but last night she didn't eat well, this morning she threw up, and she's been wrong all day. She doesn't seem interested in eating anything tonight.
    My sister's cat (similar age) had a 2-day spell like that and wasn't drinking either. A tin of (non-cat-food) tuna did the trick, and she's been fine since.
  • NicoleMR, I do hope that your kitty is okay. As we are on lockdown and all groomers are closed I am going to have to bath and trim the nails of my Molly. It will be a first for me, so I hope she is patient. Not bothered by the bath, but a little anxious about the nail trimming. I did buy some dog nail clippers on line.
  • AravisAravis Shipmate
    Any suggestions re a hyperactive four month old kitten who likes chewing wires? I keep as many wires out of reach as possible, but it’s not practical to cover them all.
  • Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    I was saying to a friend the other day that COVID-19 isn't a plot by Obama, the "fake news," the Democrats, etc. It was all the work of dogs in order to keep their people home all day every day.
    :smile:

Whereas our cats would dearly love the children to be back out of the house so they can snooze wherever they want in peace: our bedroom is currently their sanctuary until bedtime.
    <votive> Sybil
    Sybil seems better, though still not normal. She's drinking water at least, though still not interested in food. More active though. If she doesn't eat tonight I'll try again tomorrow morning (the cats usually get fed only at night); if she still isn't interested, I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow.
    I had Sybil put to sleep today. I took her to the vet and it turned out she had advanced kidney disease, and a serious heart murmur. I am devastated. She was my mothers cat, I took her after my mother died.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Oh Nicole I am so sorry. Cats like Sybil leave pawprints on your heart, take care of yourself.😿
  • bassobasso Shipmate
    I'm so sorry, Nicole. Can't say much more than just that.
    I'm very sorry, Nicole.
  • So sorry, Nicole. The loss of a cat is a loss indeed.
  • AravisAravis Shipmate
    So sorry to hear about Sybil.
    So sorry to hear that, Nicole. RIP Sybil. :cry:
  • DiomedesDiomedes Shipmate
    That's so hard Nicole - and everything sad seems even worse at the moment.
    I'm so sorry, Nicole. Sybil was so lucky to have you.
  • So sorry Nicole, May you know how blessed she was to have you provide her with a loving home after your Mother died.
  • DormouseDormouse Shipmate
    Poor you, Nicole. A difficult time for you.
  • Sorry to hear that Nicole.
    Ever since the report about cats possibly carrying COVID we have been letting Elizabeth out only under supervision, when one of us is in the garden.

Yesterday she snuck out through a window which had been left ajar for fresh air and was ambushed by another cat (we're assuming it was Big Ginger) . She had a nasty bite on her back paw. We sent a photo to the vet and she's now on antibiotics, which meant that we had our first drive outwith the village in a month. The NE Man had to phone from the vet's car park to say he was there, someone came out and left the antibiotics in a box in the car park, he removed them from said box.

Is Elizabeth grateful that we made the effort and spent £60* for this? Is she lapping up the antibiotics? Why, no. No, she isn't.

*The vet thanked us for not querying the bill - apparently some people think they should be paid less for looking at photos, rather than the actual animal.

If I could get my hands on Big Ginger.....
    ... If I could get my hands on Big Ginger.....
    Don't you think the vet's stressed out enough as it is? :mrgreen: