Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

General Good-byes And RIPs

Comments

• This may only ring bells with people of a certain age and demographic, but I have just seen that minister and songwriter Richard Avery died last week at age 85. The songs of Avery and Marsh were definitely part of my childhood and youth.

• EigonEigon Shipmate
    Curly Neal, from the 1970s Harlem Globetrotters, has died. I remember watching the cartoon about them as a kid.
  • MaryLouise wrote: »
    The iconic Cameroon saxophonist and musician Manu Dibangu has died in France of Covid-19.
    one of those musician whose name most of the west will not recognise, but was influential to the music of names they do

• RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host, Glory
    Caissa wrote: »
    RIP Ellis Marsalis.
    That is a huge loss to the world of music. May he rest in peace and rise in glory, and may his memory be a blessing.

• Farewell to comedian Eddie Large .
  • ZappaZappa Shipmate
    I didn't know he was still alive, but have always admired Krzysztof Penderecki and am sad to hear he has shuffled off to find harmony and tonality at last
  • Caissa wrote: »

We must have seen him once. We went to hear Winton Marsalis in Buffalo many years ago, and just before the concert started, what must have been the entire Marsalis clan solemnly walked in to occupy the front row. It's one of those lovely memories that will stay with me.
  • EigonEigon Shipmate
    There have been two deaths locally over the last week (neither of them connected to covid-19 as far as I know). Jeffrey Babb was 94, and spent his life encouraging young musicians - he was involved with the Grimsby Youth Orchestra and the Grimsby Bach Choir for many years and director of European Music Week for 33 years. In his retirement in Hay he got involved with local music groups.
    Then this morning I woke up to see on Facebook that Rev. Ian Charlesworth, of nearby Llyswen parish, had died suddenly. He was a great local character, and one of the leading figures in saving our local high school from closure. He will be missed. Both of them will.
    Zappa wrote: »
    I didn't know he was still alive, but have always admired Krzysztof Penderecki and am sad to hear he has shuffled off to find harmony and tonality at last
    I admired him in many ways, but I have to say that he was one of the worst conductors with whom I have ever worked... Ah, well. May he rest in peace and rise in glory, and may his memory be a blessing.

• The Marquess of Bath has died .
  • In a typically colourful way - as a result of The Plague.
    :flushed:
  • O - and I see that the splendid Honor Blackman has also gone...
    https://bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11162866

Makes me feel old, recalling her back in the days of The Avengers...
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    ...... indeed
  • EigonEigon Shipmate
    Honor Blackman was great, and one of my early heroines. Also The Virginian, James Drury, has just died, aged 85.
  • SarasaSarasa All Saints Host
    John Prine, folk singer has died of complications from contracting Covid 19. He wrote some great songs.
  • As I said in the other thread, I hope he’s having a cocktail, vodka and ginger ale, and smoking a cigarette that’s 9 miles long.
  • Sarasa wrote: »
    John Prine, folk singer has died of complications from contracting Covid 19. He wrote some great songs.

I was very sorry about this.
  • Comedian Tim Brooke Taylor falls victim to The Plague...
    https://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52262490

RIPARIG.
  • 🙁😪
  • Sir Stirling Moss, aged 90, "following a long illness".
  • ZappaZappa Shipmate
    Comedian Tim Brooke Taylor falls victim to The Plague...
    https://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52262490

RIPARIG.

:cry:
  • ZappaZappa Shipmate
    Sir Stirling Moss, aged 90, "following a long illness".

One of my childhood heroes :cry:
  • Listening to new ISIHAC will be a bit poignant. I'll miss his singing too.
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    The pioneering filmmaker Sarah Maldoror—who put Black culture emanating from anti-colonialism and Pan-Africanism at the forefront of her work—has died from coronavirus.
  • Brian Dennehy, great actor, aged 81.
  • O yes, great indeed - truly, larger than life!
  • Cellist Lynn Harrell, one of the finest and most prominent American classical musicians of his generation, has died. He was 76 years old.
    Anti-apartheid activist and lifelong campaigner for human rights Denis Goldberg has died at the age of 87. He was the only white person convicted in the Rivonia trial alongside Nelson Mandela, and spent 22 years in prison.
    Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    Cellist Lynn Harrell, one of the finest and most prominent American classical musicians of his generation, has died. He was 76 years old.
    He was a good guy. I liked him a lot, both as a musician and as a person.

• cgichardcgichard Shipmate
    edited May 2020
    I dreamt last night that I posted here that Michael Foot had died, but on checking I find that I am 10 years too late.
    Little Richard has died at the age of 87.

Awopbopaloobopalopbamboom!
  • I had the strangest dream, about a friend who died last year. I was having dinner with him and his wife. We were having a wonderful time...
  • Really lovely tribute to John Prine by his widow, at the end of this morning's Radio 4 Today programme. She talked about his last European tour, ending with the Paris concert, then returning to the US.
  • Pangolin GuerrePangolin Guerre Shipmate
    edited May 2020
    Larry Kramer, author, activist, monumental - and necessary - pain in the ass, dead, age 84.

Edited to fix code - Piglet, AS host
  • NicoleMRNicoleMR Shipmate
    The artist Christo, known for his strange, massive, short-lived art installations, has died. I saw a film on his "Running Fences" installation, and visited his "Gates" installation in Central Park, and was present at a talk he gave once.
    edited June 2020
    Larry Kramer was a major figure in the fight to make people aware of the Aids pandemic.

I always think of what he wrote in the late 1980s: ‘I discovered that anger got you further than being nice.’

• Anthony Fauci, whom Kramer had derided in uncompromising terms (I think that "incompetent" was the nicest thing that Kramer said at one stage of their relationship), and Kramer later became friends. Fauci said some very nice things about Kramer on Kramer's passing.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    NicoleMR wrote: »
    The artist Christo, known for his strange, massive, short-lived art installations, has died. I saw a film on his "Running Fences" installation, and visited his "Gates" installation in Central Park, and was present at a talk he gave once.

Lots of people would have doubts about calling him an artist and his works art. I was a young adult when he wrapped part of the Sydney cliffs, thereby disturbing the lives of numerous creatures who would otherwise have lived and fed there. And to what end?
  • Pangolin GuerrePangolin Guerre Shipmate
    edited June 2020
    Gee D wrote: »

Lots of people would have doubts about calling him an artist and his works art. I was a young adult when he wrapped part of the Sydney cliffs, thereby disturbing the lives of numerous creatures who would otherwise have lived and fed there. And to what end?

Aht, dahling. Aht.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Gee D wrote: »

Aht, dahling. Aht.

Yes, indeed. Many of his supporters here would have said the same but without the connotations of your post.
  • MMMMMM Shipmate
    I’ve just seen that Vera Lynn has died.

MMM
  • DardaDarda Shipmate
    edited June 2020
    MMM wrote: »
    I’ve just seen that Vera Lynn has died.

MMM

The BBC have published this obituary
  • Jean Kennedy Smith has died at 92. She was a former U.S. ambassador to Ireland and sister to President John F. Kennedy. She was the last surviving sibling of a family that also included Senators Edward M. Kennedy and Robert F. Kennedy.
  • Sir Ian Holm, actor, has died:
    https://bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53110391

He was well-known latterly for his role as Bilbo Baggins in the Lord of the Rings films, but I remember him (or his voice) as Frodo Baggins in the BBC's radio adaptation of the book a good 40 years ago!
  • Vera Lynn and Jean Kennedy Smith. Passing of an era.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Sir Ian Holm had such a lovely voice, I remember him as Frodo. Our library had the cassette tapes of the BBC adaptation. I borrowed
    them quite a few times.
  • I still have the complete set - in its box!
    :wink:
  • Iloved Ian Holm as Fluellen in Henry V. Note perfect to the character.
  • Barnabas62Barnabas62 Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    James Dunn, noted UK theologian, died a few days ago. I'm a great admirer of his work. RIP.