Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

General Good-byes And RIPs

Comments

• ZappaZappa Shipmate
    :cry: (James Dunn)
  • Hugh Downs has died at 99. According to The Washington Post:
    A mainstay of American TV-watching rituals for generations, Hugh Downs for years held the world record for most time on air — more than 10,000 hours — before Regis Philbin surpassed him in 2004. Viewers knew him from “The Tonight Show,” “Today,” and “20/20,” which he co-hosted with Barbara Walters.

He lived just outside Phoenix; I saw him at the Symphony a few years ago (in a cheaper seat than I had!). He was also an active Episcopalian. I remember a friend of mine was asked to speak at a local church a number of years ago, as part of a speakers series. After she accepted, she was told that Mr. Downs would be speaking the week before she did. She was a bit nervous about following him!
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Not a person, but an icon. Yesterday, it was announced that because of the South African economic downturn due to Covid-19, Drum magazine would cease publication. Drum was famous for its reportage of township life under apartheid in the 1950s and '60s, featured the work of legendary photojournalist Jurgen Schadeberg, Bob Gosani, Peter Magubane and Alf Khumalo. Many of South Africa's leading journalists and writers trained here: Henry ("Mr DRUM") Nxumalo, Can Themba, Ernest Cole, Todd Matshikiza, Nat Nakasa, Lewis Nkosi and others such as William "Bloke" Modisane, Arthur Maimane, Stan Motjuwadi and Casey Motsisi. The end of an era.
  • Oh, ML - End of an era, indeed. I can't imagine the media scene of RSA without Drum. That really saddens me. Has C-19 hit you that badly? What else has disappeared, or will?
  • MrsBeakyMrsBeaky Shipmate
    Zappa wrote: »

Such a lovely man. He was greatly loved here in Chichester.
    Oh, ML - End of an era, indeed. I can't imagine the media scene of RSA without Drum. That really saddens me. Has C-19 hit you that badly? What else has disappeared, or will?

Numerous media publishers have closed down, PG, along with restaurants and small businesses. I hope some re-open in a few months, but the economic consequences of Covid-19 are devastating.

And this week, the great South African photographer George Hallett died at 77. He had been living in poverty and obscurity for some years, a sad story.
  • Pangolin GuerrePangolin Guerre Shipmate
    edited July 2020
    ML - Thank you for linking to the profile of George Hallett. I was unaware of him. Fascinating. BTW, I've visited the District 6 museum - terribly moving. My stepfather attended Bishop's in the 1940s-early '50s, and coached boxing in District 6 - quite a hike, literally and figuratively, from Rondebosch.
    Theologian Nicholas Lash has died
    edited July 2020
    And news just in that Zindzi Mandela, daughter of Nelson and Winnie Mandela, and SA ambassador to Denmark, has died in a local hospital at the age of 59. No details yet on cause of death. That family has endured so much through the years.
  • Virtuosa violinist, Ida Haendel, dies at 90-something.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    MaryLouise wrote: »
    And news just in that Zindzi Mandela, daughter of Nelson and Winnie Mandela, and SA ambassador to Denmark, has died in a local hospital at the age of 59. No details yet on cause of death. That family has endured so much through the years.

Thanks MaryLouise, sorry to hear that.
  • lilbuddhalilbuddha Shipmate
    John Lewis, Civil Rights Icon, now fights on a different plane
  • I still have the complete set - in its box!
    :wink:
    And so do I!

• Barnabas62Barnabas62 Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    lilbuddha wrote: »
    John Lewis, Civil Rights Icon, now fights on a different plane

He walked the walk and talked the talk. RIP John Lewis.

• I remember his crowd surfing on Stephen Colbert's chat show! Great man who had a sense of humour.
  • LatchKeyKidLatchKeyKid Purgatory Host
    MrsBeaky wrote: »
    Zappa wrote: »

Such a lovely man. He was greatly loved here in Chichester.

He was my Origins of Christianity, Unity and Diversity in the NT, and Patristics Greek lecturer at Nottingham University.

His social evenings for students were well prepared. There were things like chess games and jigsaws in progress that you could toy with as ice breakers for meeting others.
    I still have the complete set - in its box!
    :wink:
    And so do I!

And I replaced my cassettes with the CD set, which I still have.
  • I still have it on cassette.
    Can't say I've listened to much of it recently, somehow I don't have the time since Mr RoS retired.
    I have listened to cassette one, & probably two, since we moved here, so certainly within the last 4 years, and most likely as recently as last year, after a spell in hospital
    I still have it on cassette.
    Can't say I've listened to much of it recently, somehow I don't have the time since Mr RoS retired.
    I have listened to cassette one, & probably two, since we moved here, so certainly within the last 4 years, and most likely as recently as last year, after a spell in hospital

I got half-way through the series on an 8-hour drive to Newcastle last year.
  • EigonEigon Shipmate
    I was sorry to hear about the deaths of John Saxon, actor, and Olivia de Havilland (104 and a screen legend) today.
  • Golden KeyGolden Key Shipmate, Glory
    Re John Lewis:

I'm watching the funeral for John Lewis right now on CBS News. (It's live on TV. Might be live online, and will probably be available to stream later today.)

It's really, really good. Combination of seriousness and humor, but not very sad. Held at the Ebenezer Baptist church. Pastor a good preacher, in robe with African-print trim. Lots of scripture and hymns, by various people. Presidents Bush, Clinton, and Obama* are each speaking, and Obama is doing the eulogy.

I highly recommend watching it to anyone who's interesting.

*And thankfully T is *not* there. ;)
  • Lamb ChoppedLamb Chopped Shipmate
    edited July 2020
    Yes. Shamefully, but still a good thing.

(I am SO glad our former presidents have been quietly stepping up to the plate on occasions like this. It spares the country a little bit of our daily heaping embarrassment over T, and it suggests that the presidency as an institution might some day recover from his wreckage. But God help us when T dies and we have to decide how to handle THAT funeral! The mind boggles.)
  • PendragonPendragon Shipmate
    I suspect some of that will depend on two things: what flavour of President is in place at the time, and how far various people have managed to go after him successfully in the courts for things when he no longer controls prosecutions.

But I can imagine that it will be embarrassingly empty.
  • ...but with a constant whirring sound as he turns in his grave at the sheer emptiness of it all...
    BTW: all the presidents there did very well with their talks, even Dubya. And Pres. Jimmy Carter (in his 90s, now, IIRC) sent a letter that was read aloud.

The funeral was *very much* a call to action, including about Black Lives Matter--peaceful action, but definite action. Will be interesting to see how that develops.
  • Pangolin GuerrePangolin Guerre Shipmate
    edited July 2020
    Herman Cain, former candidate for the Republican presidential nomination, later led the Blacks for Trump, a man of contradictory opinions about Covid, dead, at 74, of Covid.
  • RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host, Glory
    I disagree with W on many, many things (let's start with Dick Cheney), but I believe him to be at heart a decent man. And I like the way the Bushes and the Obamas have worked together.
  • Rossweiss:

Yes, Quite so. Reminiscent of an era past.
    TBH, the funeral made me feel the most hopeful (about the US, life, etc.) that I've felt in years. Deep, deep relief and joy.
  • Wilford Brimley, a portly actor with a walrus mustache who found his niche playing cantankerous coots in “Absence of Malice,” “The Natural,” “Cocoon,” and other films, died on Saturday at age 85.
    He was great in "Cocoon".
  • John Hume, visionary and peacemaker, has died aged 83.
    https://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-44753271

RIPARIG.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    John Hume was a rarity - a politician and a gentleman.
  • Dear Lord,

Please may we have Polly Titians like John Hume in government today? We sorely need such people.

Thank you.

Amen.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Yea and amen to that, BF!
  • Chadwick Bosman, a talented actor of significance beyond his community, dies too young.
  • So very young to get colon cancer. How very sad and what a loss of talent.
    South African photographer Jurgen Schadeburg has died at 89.
  • Sorry to hear of Jurgen Schadeburg's death but good to hear from you,MaryLouise.
  • Pendragon wrote: »
    I suspect some of that will depend on two things: what flavour of President is in place at the time, and how far various people have managed to go after him successfully in the courts for things when he no longer controls prosecutions.

But I can imagine that it will be embarrassingly empty.

More depends on what the family (viz., Melania) would want rather than the flavour of president -- although should they be a strong fan of Mr Trump, doubtless they would pull out the stops. Harry Truman and Richard Nixon had non-state funerals in their home states. I suspect that Mrs Trump would look at these precedents; other family members might have other ideas. It will be interesting if it is a state funeral and President Bishop Curry preaches.

I suspect that the principal attenders from other states will almost all be entitled: "Representing the Queen/President will be X," as pressure of work etc etc. Perhaps the UK will send Prince Andrew? Or he might represent Australia? Canada keeps a Governor General on hand for such things.
  • We could always send Tony Abbot.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    If you're lucky they might keep him. :naughty:

Which might also be a reason for Prince Andrew not being sent.
  • Huia wrote: »
    If you're lucky they might keep him. :naughty:

Which might also be a reason for Prince Andrew not being sent.

Saving him for Trump's funeral.
    Human rights lawyer George Bizos has died at the age of 92. He was Mandela's lawyer during the Rivonia treason trial and defended many anti-apartheid activists although he knew he was unlikely to win the cases.
  • I remember listening to him on "View From the Boundary" on Test Match Special one Saturday lunch time - he sounded like a very decent chap.
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited September 2020
    The multi-talented Diana Rigg has died at the age of 82. I remember her best as Emma Peel in The Avengers, so that probably dates me, too...
    https://bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27986272
    Yes, I just found out about Diana Rigg. I loved her as Emma Peel, too, when I was a kid--and when the series is rerun, I make a point of watching episodes with her in them.

This article from Yahoo UK has some good pics of her. About 1/2 way down, there's a great one from the day she was awarded the DBE.

Peace to her on her journey, and peace to all who care about or knew her.
  • Sad to hear! I didn’t discover The Avengers until later in life; I first encountered Diana Rigg in the 1975 CBS TV movie adaptation of In This House of Brede, which became one of my favorite books. She is how I’ve always pictured Dame Phillipa.

• NicoleMRNicoleMR Shipmate
    edited September 2020
    RIP Diana Rigg.
    Yes, she was great in "Brede", and also in "Witness For The Prosecution". She also starred in a humorous mystery series. ("Mrs. {something's} Mysteries", I think.) I didn't take well to it for some time. DR did a great job. I initially didn't like the character much, or the "breaking the 4th wall" technique. But, watching scattered reruns, I've gotten to like all that better.