Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Animal companions in our happy homes

Comments

• North East QuineNorth East Quine Purgatory Host
    We have water pistols at the front and back doors, but Ginger is very fast.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Confession time: my late father (who was a keen gardener, hence why we never had any pets) kept a slug-gun in the shed to fire at invading cats. I have no idea how good or otherwise a shot he was, but as he said, it would put the wind up them, and they'd think twice before coming back!
  • Piglet wrote: »
    Confession time: my late father (who was a keen gardener, hence why we never had any pets) kept a slug-gun in the shed to fire at invading cats. I have no idea how good or otherwise a shot he was, but as he said, it would put the wind up them, and they'd think twice before coming back!

I'm now picturing him shooting the cats with slimy gastropods, which are also much despised by gardeners.
    :wink:
  • We have water pistols at the front and back doors, but Ginger is very fast.

Got a kid who'd love to rig a water-bucket-with-rope over the outside window?
  • MooMoo Kerygmania Host
    Or maybe some sort of booby trap?
    Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    I'm now picturing him shooting the cats with slimy gastropods, which are also much despised by gardeners.:wink:

Much as that image appeals (not!), it was just a sort of revolver-sized gun that fired pellets a little smaller than a peanut.

• HuiaHuia Shipmate
    There was a ginger cat here called Barney - his name was on his collar. When Georgie-Porgy first turned up he hung around and once I chased him with the hose. The next day I found him fast asleep on the spare bed. He woke up and looked at me as if to say, "Oh, I suppose you want me to go now", and sauntered out the back door. He and G-P seemed to get on well, so I bowed to the inevitable and stopped chasing him. I spoke to a neighbour and she said that his staff worked long hours and no one knew then very well, but everyone knew Barney.
  • PendragonPendragon Shipmate
    I can tell the weather is rather warm currently: Maisy has actually been outside today, and more than once. These days she tends to be an indoor cat.
  • CathscatsCathscats Shipmate
    Our Maisie has become an almost entirely outdoor cat. She is dying of cancer, and now even has to be brought in to eat, as she won’t come of her own accord. Once presented with food, so far she does eat it, but she is fading away, and it is very sad. We made a bed for her in the open-sided wood shed, as she was trying to shelter under the bushes, and when the rain is heavy they aren’t really good enough. I tried to tell her that not having the sense to come in out of the rain was axiomatic.
  • RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host, Glory
    Oh, Cathscats! I am so sorry. That’s really difficult for all of you.
    Well, it is and it's not. I don't think her demise is imminent, as she does still eat, though she is losing weight. And she still likes to help with the gardening, either by batting my hand when I pull out weeds or by sitting in the basket which I put them in. I haven't seen her up a tree recently though, and she was always a great climber.

Meanwhile her daughter who has been browbeaten (physically beaten up on a daily basis) by her mother for 10 years is waxing fat and lording it gleefully over the indoors.
  • AravisAravis Shipmate
    Sending love to you and Maisie. My cat died of cancer a year ago and also had a strong instinct to go outside, though he found it physically difficult in his last week. He remained stable for a long time and then deteriorated very suddenly.
    {{{Cathscats and Maisie}}}
    (((Maisie)))

Our previous cats were a mother and daughter. The Cats Protection League begged us to take the mother as well as the kittens, saying that kittens were easy to find homes for, but that the mother might struggle to be homed. They said she was a devoted mother who would want to stay with her much loved kittens.

They lied.

Agnes made it abundantly clear that she wanted the kittens to leave home, go away, stop bothering her etc etc. Plato (male kitten) was quite independent, but Cleo (female kitten) remained under the maternal paw for the next 16 years.
  • AravisAravis Shipmate
    It was the opposite situation with the cats we had in January; I only wanted an adult cat, but we were persuaded to take the shyer kitten as well (I don’t know why, as she would have been much easier to rehome).

Lyra’s shyness lasted for less than a week; Cassie, her mother, came from a bad situation (she gave birth to Lyra and sibling at the cats’ refuge) and doesn’t have the self confidence to tell Lyra off when she needs it. Lyra’s always attacking her and Cassie visibly tenses when Lyra comes into the room. I’m not experienced with kittens and am not sure what to do about this.
  • PendragonPendragon Shipmate
    Our two are mother and son. She was rescued with a newborn litter, and although the rest went fairly quickly, Monty was"too ugly" as his markings are not classic black and white mask like Maisy. He probably also has a touch of Siamese in his ancestry, which showed in his skull shape as a kitten, and would explain his slightly batty nature and the fact he is tall and slim when she is quite dumpy. So when we adopted them he was 6 months old and the rescue place didn't want to split them after being together so long.

Apparently I was the first person Maisy showed an interest in, although he was used to the "please adopt me" routine. As far as their relationship goes, they get along and will sleep together, but they do squabble sometimes.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    I slept n this morning so Aroha's breakfast was late. When I picked up her dish I found that she had put Mousie* (her favourite toy in it.

*Actually one of several mousies - she keeps hiding them.
  • I have a large very nice blue water bowl for dog Molly that I wash and put fresh water in each morning. On the porch I have a stained, rusty old tray that I put on the porch to catch run off water from a plant that is on a stand over it. The water is dark and dank. Guess where Molly choses to drink.
  • LydaLyda Shipmate
    My oldie cat, Ming, is having to get used to only having outdoor access to the back yard. I feel bad for him, but he has the habit of crossing the street to visit the neighbors. Previously that wasn't a problem because he had the good sense to look both ways. He actually still does, but he is so slow and arthritic that he can be half way across when a car appears and can't really hurry enough. I have a big, walled backyard plus a covered patio so technically it's not bad for him. But he really does like to watch the world go by out front. :disappointed:
    Sometimes it's as though our dear pets can read our minds....

I wanted to watch something on TV this morning and was casting around for some small task to do at the same time; something to polish or mend or sort.

And then Elizabeth copiously sprayed our shelves of CDs and DVDs. Result! Several dozen CD / DVD cases to wipe down! Let the TV watching commence!
    Every cloud has a silver lining, eh? :smiley:
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    edited July 2020
    Very funny conversation with a friend who has just made new blue-and-white Chnoiserie slip covers for the living-room furniture. Her large retriever Beau came running in from the neighbour's pond to slosh mud and slimy weed all over the blue and white sofa. Furious, my friend screamed, 'Get the fuck out of here, you fuckwitted shithead!', forgetting that her husband was teaching a Skype class to five small boys in a corner of the living room. The boys were enthralled: 'Mrs Teacher swore at poor Beau and used the F-word Twice.'
    Love it, @MaryLouise! :mrgreen:
    “Poor Beau,” my left foot!
  • cgichardcgichard Shipmate
    Rossweisse wrote: »
    my left foot!
    @Rossweisse Speaking of which, how is it - and the attached leg and accompanying pain?
  • BoogieBoogie Heaven Host
    Tatze developed a really pronounced limp on her right foreleg just before she came home yesterday. She was fine on her walk but started limping about an hour afterwards. We took her to the vet and he says it’s her shoulder. She may have pulled a muscle.

He’s put her on Rimadyl for a week. Strictly no play and only very short lead walks.

So we’ve delayed Echo’s home coming (we’ve been away in Heidelberg) until she is better. The house is very quiet just now!

🐕
    Maisie has her first proper vet consultation since February. She has lost a quarter of her body-weight and the cancerous lumps have been spreading. Well, I knew both these things. The word “euthanasia” was mentioned as an option, but I said I didn’t think we were there yet, not while she can still do for the mice and purr when petted. But I think her next visit may be her last. Maybe another month or two, unless the cancer speeds up. 😪
  • BoogieBoogie Heaven Host
    So sorry to hear this @Cathscats :cry:
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    (((Cathscats and Maisie))) :heartbreak:
    So sorry to hear that, Cathscats. :cry:

Prayers ascending for Maisie, and for Tatze.
    cgichard wrote: »
    Rossweisse wrote: »
    my left foot!
    @Rossweisse Speaking of which, how is it - and the attached leg and accompanying pain?
    It is not good; I thank you for asking. Please see the “Cancer Sucks” thread in Hell for full (possibly too full) details.

<votive> For @Cathscats, Maisie, and Tate.

Elizabeth is at the vet. At 11 this morning she became wobbly on her legs; three of them stopped being wobbly, but there seemed to be a problem with the fourth, her right hind leg. We weren't aware of any possible injury.

She hates, loathes and detests going anywhere in her cat carrier by car. By the time we got to the vet five miles away she had poo'ed, pee'd, puked and drooled.

The vet thought that she was weight bearing on all four legs, but said she appeared to have some respiratory distress. So she's having chest X-rays.

I'm hoping the respiratory distress just reflects the absolute state she gets into while being transported by car, but I suspect the vet is familiar with disgruntled cats and thinks it's more than that.
    X-rays all clear!! They think the respiratory distress was just her reaction to being driven for 5 miles in cat-carrier in a car!

Some swelling on her right hind leg, which they think might be a minor injury of the pulled muscle variety. They've X-rayed her leg and there's nothing serious.
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    Excellent news about Elizabeth!!
    Glad to hear it, @North East Quine ! Maisie yowls in the cat carrier, pretty much constantly, but she does not lose control of her bodily functions, or express her distress through them, thank goodness. After 14 miles each way on Friday she slept like a limp bundle of fluff all day on Saturday. Yesterday, however, she beheaded a rabbit, so there is life in the poor sick soul yet (the cat, not the rabbit). Why do they always eat the ears first? Are they like crisps?
  • Our dear departed Sweetie Pie, hated carrier and car. When we moved 3 hours away the vet gave us a pill to knock her out so she would sleep through the trip. Nope wide awake and complaining loudly for all 3 hours. Once in the new house she looked around flopped down and sleep for the next 8 hours. Happy to hear Elizabeth is doing fine, and good for Maisie.
  • Cathscats wrote: »
    Why do they always eat the ears first? Are they like crisps?

:killingme::killingme::killingme::killingme::killingme: :lol:
    Good for Maisie! Elizabeth isn't a hunter; she's tried swiping at butterflies, but hasn't attempted anything more substantial than a butterfly.

Elizabeth yowls in the cat carrier too, pausing only to throw up. We don't know her history, so we don't know what her past experience has been. We think he last-owners-but-one may not have been great and that she needs a lot of love as a consequence.

It's amazing how much the cost of a check-up for a sore leg multiplies once respiratory distress is investigated!!

My dear departed Despina, a charming tuxedo cat, routinely cried and pooped in the carrier the moment I backed out of the driveway; once, she also worked herself up until she upchucked. I knew we were doing the right thing when, taking her on her final visit, she just lay quietly, not objecting in any way.

Hurrah for Elizabeth, and good on Maisie.
  • I like a tub bath and Mr Image likes a shower. Every now and then I take a shower and so I leave some shampoo on the shower shelf. Yesterday I showered without my glasses. I did not recognize the smell of the shampoo but it had been a number of months since I had used it. Lets just say my coat is shiny and I have no fleas.
    I can't help wondering - was the bottle on the shelf because Graven Dog uses the shower too? :mrgreen:
  • Piglet wrote: »
    I can't help wondering - was the bottle on the shelf because Graven Dog uses the shower too? :mrgreen:
    Yes shower is walk in enclosed, and Mr Image baths Graven Dog in a rubber tub he sits on the shower floor.

• I like a tub bath and Mr Image likes a shower. Every now and then I take a shower and so I leave some shampoo on the shower shelf. Yesterday I showered without my glasses. I did not recognize the smell of the shampoo but it had been a number of months since I had used it. Lets just say my coat is shiny and I have no fleas.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Still, it's better than the time I put diaper creme on my toothbrush.

Shampoo tangent//

When my children were very small, my hairdresser told me my hair was in poor condition and had I been using my kids shampoo? Because, she said, in order to have a "no tears" formula, it had a PH which meant it could be used to clean ovens, and was very bad for adult hair.

Reader, I was sleep deprived. Instead of realising the hairdresser was trying to sell me expensive shampoo, I thought she was giving me a good tip about child-safe oven cleaner.

Before going to bed, I smeared my kids shampoo liberally over the inside of my oven. In the morning I discovered that it had formed a sort of jelly which would not simply wipe off, but which required proper scrubbing. And no, it didn't leave my oven clean.

For some time after, everything I cooked tasted kind of ...soapy.

Friends, take it from me! Do not, ever, cover the inside of your oven with shampoo!

// End shampoo tangent.

To return to topic, Elizabeth is going to the vet on Thurs for a scale-and-polish of her teeth, at a cost which makes me extremely grateful for my own NHS dentistry.

• Catherine is going for her first teeth cleaning tomorrow. That means no usual 6am breakfast, plus I need to give her a gabapentin capsule at 7am. I find it very stressful taking her to the vet even for a check-up but tomorrow is going to be the worst. She's got a thing about food so I might have to sit at the end of the garden to escape her until 9am.
  • I too was surprised at the cost of teeth cleaning. It was more then my own dental appointment. I guess it is because they must put the dogs to sleep. I tried brushing Molly's teeth. She would have none of it.
    Elizabeth's scale and polish is going to cost a multiple of what mine would cost because I don't need to be sedated first.

I'm just hoping they don't find any dental work, over and above the scale and polish, which needs done.
  • Next month my dog (who will be 16 by then) will be having her teeth done on a Thursday; I'm having mine done on that Friday. I don't want to think of how much more hers will cost than mine.

I know it's high risk for her, but her doctor thinks leaving them undone will be a greater risk. I know she's having some mouth problems -- she will likely have to have some teeth removed.

I'll be asking for prayers for her closer to the time.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    NEQ thank you for the shampoo tangent, I really needed a good giggle.
  • First we were Cat Free, then we were Dog Free.

Now we are getting attached to the three fish in our garden pond......

(Sad but true)