Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

General Good-byes And RIPs

Comments

• RIPARIG. She would have made a good Prime Minister, if things had turned out differently...
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    The last of the Gang of Four, Shirley Williams, has died aged 90.
    She wasn't the last: according to that article, Bill Rodgers and David Owen are still serving peers.

• Brain fart! I should have put One of ...
  • NicoleMRNicoleMR Shipmate
    Not that he'll be much missed, but it's worth mentioning that Bernie Madoff just died in prison.
  • The actress Helen McCrory has died at the age of 52.
    That's way too young - may she rest in peace.
  • Another Welsh rugby great, John Dawes has died.
  • stetsonstetson Shipmate
    Walter Mondale. US veep under Carter, Democratic presidential candidate in '84. Lost to Reagan, big-time.
  • Yes, remember him well. Sorry that he lost to that superannuated Grade B movie star Raygun
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    Walter Mondale's final message to all his staff who worked for him over the years. Transcript:
    Dear Team,

Well my time has come. I am eager to rejoin Joan and Eleanor. Before I Go I wanted to let you know how much you mean to me. Never has a public servant had a better group of people working at their side!

Together we have accomplished so much and I know you will keep up the good fight.

Joe in the White House certainly helps.

I always knew it would be okay if I arrived some place and was greeted by one of you!

My best to all of you!

Fritz

Classy to the end. For those who are interested here is Jimmy Carter's statement on the death of his running mate and vice president.
    That's a part of the youth of my generation gone; although I wasn't a huge fan of the band, I did have the stripey socks and rolled up trousers ... :blush:

RIP, Mr. McKeown.
  • Could always be relied upon for a pick me up after a challenging day at school🥲
  • Simon ToadSimon Toad Shipmate
    edited April 2021
    Piglet wrote: »
    That's a part of the youth of my generation gone; although I wasn't a huge fan of the band, I did have the stripey socks and rolled up trousers ... :blush:

RIP, Mr. McKeown.

Two of my cousins were massive fans, posters everywhere! I often play music on my phone at work while we wait for the taxis and do paperwork. My client Pat always sparks up when I play Bay City Rollers, so I play it much more than I otherwise would.

What a great thing to have created music that touches people like that.
  • Heard one of their songs played on the radio yesterday and was struck by how English they sound. In their vowels. Reminded me of how far we have come in singing our own voices - with many thanks to The Proclaimers who sang that
    "I wouldn't have a single word to say
    If I flattened all my vowels and I threw the R away."
  • I'm too young to remember them, but was somewhat amused to hear that the Ramone's famous "Hey ho let's go!" chant on Blitzkrieg Bop was inspired by "S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y" on the Rollers' Saturday night.
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    The loneliest man in history, astronaut Michael Collins, has died. For an explanation of why he was called that, every human being who ever lived is somewhere inside the frame of this photo . . . except Michael Collins.

Someone had to be behind the camera, I guess.
  • Like the Blue Dot, a very humbling image.
  • Another splendid actress, Olympia Dukakis has died
  • Another splendid actress, Olympia Dukakis has died

RIP Mrs Madrigal. I loved her so much in Tales of the City.

AFF

• PigwidgeonPigwidgeon Shipmate
    Another splendid actress, Olympia Dukakis has died

RIP Mrs Madrigal. I loved her so much in Tales of the City.

AFF

I also loved her in Tales of the City! (I never saw Moonstruck.)
  • Nick TamenNick Tamen Shipmate
    I loved her in Tales of the City, too, but she’ll always be Clairee Belcher in Steel Magnolias to me.

• HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Thanks Nick, I knew I had seen her in something, but Steel Magnolias wasn't mentioned in the news reports here. I saw that movie when it first came out, and although I don't remember plot details, I do remember being blown away by it, and I remember the strength of the women.
  • The breakfast scene in Moonstruck is ensemble brilliance. I've lost count of the number of times that I've seen Moonstruck.

I also loved Olympia Dukakis in Tales of the City. It was pointed out to me yesterday that Anna Madrigal is an anagram of "a man and a girl".
    It was pointed out to me yesterday that Anna Madrigal is an anagram of "a man and a girl".
    Yes, in More Tales of the City (the book), she tells Mona that’s why she chose the name.

• Star of that ad for Levi's 501s Nick Kamen has died, aged 59.
    edited May 2021
    . . . Nick Kamen has died . . . .
    :astonished: Well, I had to read that a few times before reading it correctly. :lol:

• edited May 2021
    There's no accounting for taste. Re Olym[pia Dukakis, we found Tales of the City to be unwatchable, Canadian Paul Gross being actually rather personally gross.

Steel Magnolias and Moonstruck struck out for me completely. From Dukakis' filmography, apparently I liked movies where she was not central, like Mighty Aphrodite,
  • Pangolin GuerrePangolin Guerre Shipmate
    edited May 2021
    Star of that ad for Levi's 501s Nick Kamen has died, aged 59.

As soon as I read "that ad" I knew the one. I viewed the link for, erm, verification. Quite young, of marrow cancer, I read.

@NOprophet_NØprofit To give Paul Gross some slack, the character Brian Hawkins had a sleaze factor built in. As for Olympia Dukakis, she was brilliant as the put-upon Rose Castorini (="little beavers"). Fun trivia, the constantly confused grandfather in Moonstruck was played by Feodor Chaliapin, Jr., son of the great Russian operatic bass of the same name. You might also know him as Jorge de Burgos, the blind monk, in The Name of the Rose.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Nick Tamen wrote: »
    . . . Nick Kamen has died . . . .
    :astonished: Well, I had to read that a few times before reading it correctly. :lol:

As a matter of interest, how could you have read it were it you?
  • SojournerSojourner Shipmate
    With the eyes of God
    Who was it who said he checked the obit column in the paper every morning to make sure he wasn't in it?
    Who was it who said he checked the obit column in the paper every morning to make sure he wasn't in it?
    George Burns: “I get up every morning and read the obituary column. If my name’s not there, I eat breakfast.”

And then there’s Tom Sawyer, who went to his own funeral, and Tom’s author, Mark Twain, of the well-known but inaccurately quoted line, “Rumors of my death are greatly exaggerated.” :wink:

• bassobasso Shipmate
    Nick Tamen wrote: »
    George Burns: “I get up every morning and read the obituary column. If my name’s not there, I eat breakfast.”
    Probably older even than George Burns. My grandmother clipped a bit of newspaper verse and sent it to my mother -- it's stuck in my memory all these years.

"I get out the paper and read the obits.
    If my name isn't there and I know I'm not dead
    I eat a good breakfast and go back to bed."
    Yes, quite possibly.
  • HedgehogHedgehog Shipmate
    Another 59-year-old, Tawny Kitaen has died. Most famous, in my mind, for having the name "Tawny Kitaen." It always caught my attention.
    Not a person, but perhaps worthy of mention, the Obama's dog Bo has died of cancer.
    God’s man for this hour,
    televangelist and faith-healer Ernest Angley
    , died yesterday at the age of 99. Perhaps he couldn’t put his hand against the television screen to heal himself.

Maybe he and Robin Williams can go on the heavenly road together.

• PigwidgeonPigwidgeon Shipmate
    NicoleMR wrote: »
    Not a person, but perhaps worthy of mention, the Obama's dog Bo has died of cancer.

:cry:
  • LydaLyda Shipmate
    The poor baby. :hushed:
    NicoleMR wrote: »

Poor wee dog. RIP Bo. :cry:
  • I love the photo of B&B jogging down a corridor of the White House. It was human and canine in the best ways, and no doubt enraged the appropriate people for that reason.
  • TheOrganistTheOrganist Shipmate
    edited May 2021
    One of the great jockeys on the flat, Joe Mercer died yesterday.

In 1972 he was in an air crash that killed the pilot: he rescued the ither passengers, then 2 days later won the Prince of Wales Stakes at Ascot on Brigadier Gerard. Stylish jockey, the only Group One race to elude him was The Derby.
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    Actor Charles Grodin has died.
  • LydaLyda Shipmate
    edited May 2021
    I used to sooo enjoy when he would guest on Letterman's show, and Grodin would put on a total A-hole persona and gripe and snipe at Dave. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD1xH1Mdgzc

Love it! And I miss it. :cry:
  • MarsupialMarsupial Shipmate
    The breakfast scene in Moonstruck is ensemble brilliance. I've lost count of the number of times that I've seen Moonstruck.

This prompted me finally to watch the movie, which I remember intending to see when it first came out almost 35 years ago. A good movie, so thanks.

The Canadian Opera Company appears in the credits and I was curious why, given that I’m pretty sure that no amount of sleight of hand could have made the interior of the old O’Keefe Centre (as it then was) look like the interior of the Met. Turns out the stage part of the opera was filmed in the Elgin Theatre, with COC Ensemble Studio alumni playing Mimi and Rodolfo. Most of the other interiors were also filmed in Toronto studios apparently.
  • Interesting. I did not know that it was filmed largely in Toronto, and it's the sort of thing that I should have known.

I'm pleased that you enjoyed Moonstruck. One person dismissed it to me as a silly rom com. It is that, but, as I argued, it's not by accident that Loretta (Cher) and Ronny (Nicholas Cage) go to the opera. The film is a spoken opera buffa that has a melancholic sweetness about love later in life. For all it's caricatures, it has an emotional authenticity at its core.
  • DoublethinkDoublethink Admin, 8th Day Host
    edited May 2021
    RIP Bill Shakespeare, the first man to have the Pfizer covid vaccine in the rollout: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-57234741
    Eric Carle, noted children's book writer and illustrator, author of The Very Hungry Caterpillar, has died at age 91.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    That book just keeps on in my experience both teaching junior classes prior to 1980 and at the library where I volunteer now.

Rest in Peace Mr Carle - you brought joy to millions.