Cancer SUCKS

Comments

• idjidj Shipmate Posts: 28
    Almost a month ago I had another surgical procedure to remove some tumours in my bladder. Not bad this time, and recovery was painful but simple. This past Friday I had a rather large bleed which means the tumours have returned and chewed their way through a blood vessel. I'll always consider myself fortunate if this happens as it is usually an early warning and the medicos can get the cancer early. I'm waiting for a call from my surgeon with a date for surgery. This will be my 10th surgery, some of them more dire than others. I'm praying for good news.

My Christmas prayer is for everyone suffering from any of the seeming endless varieties of this evil disease and for the families and friends who suffer along with us. God bless us, everyone!
  • My prayers for you idj.
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Praying for you @idj 🕯
  • Robert ArminRobert Armin Shipmate, Glory
    🕯idj
  • 🕯 Adding my prayer for you, idj, and for all here
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    ((idj))
  • RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host, Glory
    Wonderful news, @Galilit!
    Prayers ascending, @idj

I've had a rough couple of days with vomiting and being faint. Last night I had to be taken out during the Prayer of Consecration (embarrassing, but not as bad as fainting and having the paramedics show up).

What a wonderful church family I have! The alto next to me signaled to her partner (apparently they had arranged a system for themselves some time ago); he got my chair, and took me out quietly and got me where I needed to go. I did pass out, but only for a few moments, and he mercifully refrained from dialing 911.

The sexton appeared, and let me into the rector's office (where there is a sofa to lie down on), fetched pillows, ice chips, cookies, and water; the senior warden materialized (she saw me go out, but had to wait until her pew went to communion to exit) and sat with me until the service was over, and the dear choir couple with whom I had dinner and rode to church got out. Then we all went to the choir room, got out of our vestments, and went home.

I felt well enough that we could exchange presents, and have a wee dram (exceptionally wee, in my case) of the Highland Park 18 sent me by @Margaret, and drink her health. Another friend offered to come spend the night with me, but she has tiny visiting grandchildren, and I declined: she needed to be there to see their little faces this morning.

I slept through the night. And I now have a new anti-nausea drug, fetched for me by the Junior Child. Deo gratias!
  • NenyaNenya All Saints Host, Ecclesiantics & MW Host
    An eventful day, Ross. It's heartwarming to read of the support system you have - and always inspiring and humbling to hear the positive spin you manage to put on things.
  • Echoing what Nenya said. And such good news, @Rossweisse, that there are more options out there. And good news also that @Galilit is home from the hospital.

Holding @Robert Armin and @idj in the light, along with all who post here.
  • Holding all who post here in God's healing light.
    Bad night. Kept waking up to vomit, which is odd as that is normally linked with eating. Still my nephew and his wife have dropped in, which is lovely, and I'll go back to sleep once I've checked the Ship.
  • May your sleep be peaceful and filled with lovely dreams.
  • Robert Armin, may the day bring you rest and peace.
  • @Robert Armin, hopefully you've had some restorative zzzzzzzzz...

IANAD, but, re the vomiting, could it simply be an unlooked-for reaction to some medication or other? Or to a D & V bug going the rounds? Either way, I trust it will pass. If not, please to contact your GP or whoever asap.
    I spent the morning in the ER, but escaped being incarcerated there precisely because of my beyond-compromised immune system. Vomiting is a problem, because of dehydration. Also, it's icky.
  • Ah - dehydration. Yes, a common problem.

Hope you're feeling better (and less icky) @Rossweisse, and @Robert Armin.
  • bunnywithanaxebunnywithanaxe Admin Emeritus
    Sending get better vibes to Ross and Rob.

Tentative positive update- Mom has been on her oral chemo for about a month, and her latest scan demoted her liver spots from Stage 4 to Stage 2 - not sure if the scan revealed a mistake in the first assessment or the meds have just really kicked ass— and her treatment course has been reduced from 6 months to 3 months.

So— hallelujah and kenohora.
  • My mum overlooked the blood tests she needed before her port could be fitted so she is waiting at the hospital for the test results. They should be available in a couple of hours so hopefully this will just be a minor blip and it should still be fitted then. It's remarkable how upsetting it is though.
    Good sleep yesterday and last night, with no more vomiting. Deo Gratias. As I get further from the chemo injection (Tuesday) I feel better, but I've noticed my hair is falling out again.
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    🕯 @Rossweisse and 🕯 @Robert Armin
  • Continued prayers for all.
  • Good news, @bunnywithanaxe !
    Continued prayers for all.

• My mum overlooked the blood tests she needed before her port could be fitted so she is waiting at the hospital for the test results. They should be available in a couple of hours so hopefully this will just be a minor blip and it should still be fitted then. It's remarkable how upsetting it is though.

All got sorted, thankfully.
  • Nenya wrote: »
    An eventful day, Ross. It's heartwarming to read of the support system you have - and always inspiring and humbling to hear the positive spin you manage to put on things.

It truly is heartwarming isn't it? I got all teary reading about the fellow alto and her prepared signal to her husband. Ross is surely well loved IRL as well as on the ship.

Happy for Bunnywithanaxe's mom!

So sorry for all the vomiting.

May that wonderful feeling of peace descending that always follows the Christmas rush for me, fall on all of you as well.
  • bassobasso Shipmate

Tentative positive update-
    [...]

So— hallelujah and kenohora.
    Yay!!! Great news!

• AuthorDivaAuthorDiva Shipmate
    edited December 2019
    Continued prayers for everyone here.

<votive> @Robert Armin and @Rossweisse
  • AmosAmos Shipmate
    Swears and prayers, and much love. That hellish enough?
  • You know... I really miss the old pre-cancer body and the pre-chemo brain. They weren't all that good and they were ageing, but it was better than this. Short, dark winter days will do this to you. I'll add my swears and prayers to Amos', remembering that if I can still curse at it, it can't be all that bad.
    I've had a useless sort of day (I WILL get my Christmas letter written at some point, truly), and my digestive system has been worthless. (Dear GI Tract, I do not need to lose any weight, truly, so please let up, thanks.) I am trying to do my hosting, and keep (a) falling asleep, (b) upchucking, or (c) seriously falling asleep. Wonderful people have brought lots of lovely food, and I would like to eat it!
  • Continuing in prayer for all with this horrible disease.
  • SarasaSarasa All Saints Host
    Prayers for all especially @Rossweisse , that all sounds beyond vile.
    My brother continues to improve. Let's hope there are no more hiccoughs, though I'm pretty sure there will be
  • 🕯Prayers continuing for all
  • idjidj Shipmate Posts: 28
    Good sleep yesterday and last night, with no more vomiting. Deo Gratias. As I get further from the chemo injection (Tuesday) I feel better, but I've noticed my hair is falling out again.

I'm glad you're feeling better. Chemo is no walk in the park. I guess we all have to get used to baldness after chemo.I guess it isn't too good to be vain about our silken locks. I pray for every good thing for you!

I'm getting my new post-chemo hair trimmed and styled on Friday morning. Big excitement!
  • Continued prayers for all who have posted here.
  • There's nothing like a haircut!
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    ((Robert Armin))
  • Coincidentally with my pitiful moaning (several posts above) about my rearranged body, I got a call from an old friend asking if I'd like to go to iFly (https://www.iflytoronto.com/) with his grandson. Now, I know very well this can't work for all cancer patients, even some well out of active treatment, but I took him up on it and I went flying this afternoon. I'm not ever going to be an expert, but I loved every moment. I was interested to see that they can take people who normally get around in wheelchairs, so, some of you...
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Thank goodness for old friends and having fun. Glad you enjoyed yourself.
    Having had a few days feeling sorry for myself because I'm looking odd without hair, I'm bouncing back. I've decided I'm a natural for Gollum in the new set of films due out any day now. They're based on six words Tolkien scribbled on the back of a fag packet, and Jackson is turning these into a 19 part epic. Fame will be mine!
  • Awww, Robert Armin, you made me smile. Sitting here wondering pondering many things. Enjoy your fame! You may need to change your avatar to match your current profile.
    Good. It's important not to take cancer too seriously!
  • Please, sir, will you sign my autograph book?
  • Good. It's important not to take cancer too seriously!

I've been preaching from that text for a long time. It either baffles or helps the people who care for you. Mostly, it helps.
    Good. It's important not to take cancer too seriously!
    True. I don't know how anyone makes it through all this crap who lacks a sense of humor.

Meanwhile, I'm at least temporarily off the study drug; my esophagus looks as though it's been through the wars, and I'm on Prilosec. The two don't work well together, and my oncologist says that keeping food down outranks sheer survival. Well, okay.

I'm getting a little tired of milkshakes and smoothies, and will have a Real Meal before the concert friends and I are attending tonight. Yay!

• Yay indeed for the Real Meal.
    Prayers for a general reduction in vomiting all round.
    And I’ll join the queue for @Robert Armin ’s autograph!
  • Oh fuck. And Prilosec, not Nexium? I thought the latter was basically the same thing, but in racemic form, and therefore stronger... Hope the dinner is a good one.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    If being a Kiwi gave me any extra powers of persuasion with Peter Jackon the role wold be yours. :smiley:
  • @Robert Armin Baldness can be very sexy. Just look at Yul Brynner and Patrick Stewart!
  • Never, repeat NEVER comment on how people's hair or baldness looks
    You don't know what they're feeling, what they're hiding or what they are trying to put a brave face on