Oops - your Trump presidency discussion thread.

1163164165166168

Comments

  • Gramps49Gramps49 Shipmate
    edited January 19
    Interesting Factoid.
    Twitter bans Trump.
    Reports 70% reduction
    in Fake News.
    Connection?
  • Wesley JWesley J Shipmate
    Yessir.
  • mousethief wrote: »
    Crœsos wrote: »
    I thought it was more telling that Republicans heard there was a report about white supremacists and automatically thought "Hey, they must be talking about us!"

    Kind of like how Trumpites heard the Declaration of Independence being read on NPR (which they have done every July 4 for many years), and thought the litany of the sins of George III must have been an attack on Trump.

    Seriously??? ROTFL.
  • HedgehogHedgehog Shipmate
    A friend just forwarded to me the following tweet (from somebody I don't know):
    I am starting to think Trump and Republicans in Congress are not going to release a health care plan.
  • HedgehogHedgehog Shipmate
    Golden Key wrote: »
    mousethief wrote: »
    Crœsos wrote: »
    I thought it was more telling that Republicans heard there was a report about white supremacists and automatically thought "Hey, they must be talking about us!"

    Kind of like how Trumpites heard the Declaration of Independence being read on NPR (which they have done every July 4 for many years), and thought the litany of the sins of George III must have been an attack on Trump.

    Seriously??? ROTFL.

    Snopes has a discussion of it.
  • Hedgehog wrote: »
    Golden Key wrote: »
    mousethief wrote: »
    Crœsos wrote: »
    I thought it was more telling that Republicans heard there was a report about white supremacists and automatically thought "Hey, they must be talking about us!"

    Kind of like how Trumpites heard the Declaration of Independence being read on NPR (which they have done every July 4 for many years), and thought the litany of the sins of George III must have been an attack on Trump.

    Seriously??? ROTFL.

    Snopes has a discussion of it.

    Interesting how they focused on Darren Mills and didn't really talk about the numbers of the butthurt, which they pretty much pass over in a single paragraph.
  • Martin54Martin54 Shipmate
    Only 2 subversives found in 25,000 troops?!
  • Hedgehog wrote: »
    A friend just forwarded to me the following tweet (from somebody I don't know):
    I am starting to think Trump and Republicans in Congress are not going to release a health care plan.

    LOL!.
  • RuthRuth Shipmate
    Hedgehog wrote: »
    A friend just forwarded to me the following tweet (from somebody I don't know):
    I am starting to think Trump and Republicans in Congress are not going to release a health care plan.

    I saw several variations on that, plus tweets last week asking if it was finally going to be infrastructure week.
  • Simon ToadSimon Toad Shipmate
    edited January 19
    Gramps49 wrote: »
    Interesting Factoid.
    Twitter bans Trump.
    Reports 70% reduction
    in Fake News.
    Connection?

    Poetry politics! I love it! Would you put such a thread in The Circus or here in Purg?
    Martin54 wrote: »
    Only 2 subversives found in 25,000 troops?!

    If I was the Americans (all of them at once, like Rose Tyler having looked into the Time Vortex), I would go through their Military and police with a very very wide-tooth comb. The present situation is one that requires a cool head and a generous mindset. You have to be very careful to avoid conducting witch-hunts, like the McCarthyist tragedy. It is not, and should not be illegal to hold fascist or racist views in America. It is and should be illegal to act on those views. If Military folk have acted in breach of their oaths, they must be disciplined or dismissed, but that's all. If they have committed a crime, let the institutions of justice deal with them.
  • Simon Toad wrote: »
    Gramps49 wrote: »
    Interesting Factoid.
    Twitter bans Trump.
    Reports 70% reduction
    in Fake News.
    Connection?

    Poetry politics! I love it! Would you put such a thread in The Circus or here in Purg?
    Martin54 wrote: »
    Only 2 subversives found in 25,000 troops?!

    If I was the Americans (all of them at once, like Rose Tyler having looked into the Time Vortex), I would go through their Military and police with a very very wide-tooth comb. The present situation is one that requires a cool head and a generous mindset. You have to be very careful to avoid conducting witch-hunts, like the McCarthyist tragedy. It is not, and should not be illegal to hold fascist or racist views in America. It is and should be illegal to act on those views. If Military folk have acted in breach of their oaths, they must be disciplined or dismissed, but that's all. If they have committed a crime, let the institutions of justice deal with them.

    I think you mean fine-toothed comb. A wide-toothed comb lets things slip between the teeth.
  • no, I want things to slip through. I want to avoid witch-hunts. Maybe it doesn't work - I was trying to be clever...
  • Martin54Martin54 Shipmate
    edited January 19
    mousethief wrote: »
    Simon Toad wrote: »
    Gramps49 wrote: »
    Interesting Factoid.
    Twitter bans Trump.
    Reports 70% reduction
    in Fake News.
    Connection?

    Poetry politics! I love it! Would you put such a thread in The Circus or here in Purg?
    Martin54 wrote: »
    Only 2 subversives found in 25,000 troops?!

    If I was the Americans (all of them at once, like Rose Tyler having looked into the Time Vortex), I would go through their Military and police with a very very wide-tooth comb. The present situation is one that requires a cool head and a generous mindset. You have to be very careful to avoid conducting witch-hunts, like the McCarthyist tragedy. It is not, and should not be illegal to hold fascist or racist views in America. It is and should be illegal to act on those views. If Military folk have acted in breach of their oaths, they must be disciplined or dismissed, but that's all. If they have committed a crime, let the institutions of justice deal with them.

    I think you mean fine-toothed comb. A wide-toothed comb lets things slip between the teeth.

    Exactly. Intel isn't concerned with niceties. It's about identifying threat. Knowing what it had for breakfast. Having worked in the trade, you do not want to come to their attention. You really, really don't. Even in liddle ole Ingerlund Swings.
  • Someone suggested banning Fox from military bases, where they said it was on all TV screens where they were stationed. Do not know how true that is, but does not sound good if true.
  • The number of National Guard removed for extremist links/views has risen to 12.
  • Golden KeyGolden Key Shipmate
    edited January 20
    Any other Americans feel like we're in ancient Rome, etc.?
    :eek:

    "And, in other news, the praetorian guard is rumored to have many dissenters, just waiting for a signal... And YOU are there!"

    (Ref to '60s/'70s TV show "You Are There", a news-like kids show that sent broadcasters (including Walter Cronkite) into history to report on it, as if really there.)
  • Gramps49Gramps49 Shipmate
    Someone suggested banning Fox from military bases, where they said it was on all TV screens where they were stationed. Do not know how true that is, but does not sound good if true.

    Not only on military bases, but most civilian bars, cafeterias, motel lobbies etc in the US.

    My son owns a bar in Northwest Washington. He absolutely refuses to allow FOX News to be shown in his establishment.
  • Wesley JWesley J Shipmate
    CNN says he's pardoned Steve Bannon - not a big surprise really, is it. His crimes (says CNN) are also a state crime, so NY state may still prosecute that guy. Good on them!
  • mousethiefmousethief Shipmate
    edited January 20
    Golden Key wrote: »
    Any other Americans feel like we're in ancient Rome, etc.?
    :eek:

    In answer to this, on Facebook: "No. Rome had good roads."
  • stetsonstetson Shipmate
    Golden Key wrote: »
    Any other Americans feel like we're in ancient Rome, etc.?
    :eek:

    "And, in other news, the praetorian guard is rumored to have many dissenters, just waiting for a signal... And YOU are there!"

    (Ref to '60s/'70s TV show "You Are There", a news-like kids show that sent broadcasters (including Walter Cronkite) into history to report on it, as if really there.)

    You Weren't There

    (Only the first few minutes is the parody.)

    That's Fritz The Cat playing the host, and I'm sure you'll all recognize the photographer.
  • Hedgehog wrote: »
    A friend just forwarded to me the following tweet (from somebody I don't know):
    I am starting to think Trump and Republicans in Congress are not going to release a health care plan.

    Actually laughed out loud...
  • Anyway after 168 pages...

    Bye bye Mr Trump.
  • stetson wrote: »
    Golden Key wrote: »
    Any other Americans feel like we're in ancient Rome, etc.?
    :eek:

    "And, in other news, the praetorian guard is rumored to have many dissenters, just waiting for a signal... And YOU are there!"

    (Ref to '60s/'70s TV show "You Are There", a news-like kids show that sent broadcasters (including Walter Cronkite) into history to report on it, as if really there.)

    You Weren't There

    (Only the first few minutes is the parody.)

    That's Fritz The Cat playing the host, and I'm sure you'll all recognize the photographer.

    The Ralph Bakshi Fritz the Cat?
  • Lyda wrote: »
    Some people in Clinton's staff removed key board keys from some computers to prank Bush's people.

    They removed the "G's". Eorge Bush sounds funny.
  • mousethief wrote: »
    Simon Toad wrote: »
    This thread has taught me so much about the American political system, and the more I discover, the more I have to learn. But lack of knowledge has never stopped me expressing an opinion.

    I realise I will never go back to the way I looked at American politics before: basically ok with what was going on, and tuning in for the one year plus show every four years, like watching a horse race. I think I will probably spend the rest of my days looking at history in an attempt to understand the present.

    I am so pleased for our American shipmates, so relieved for you. The endless game of whack-a-mole will continue against the fascists, but at least the President won't be holding the FBI's arms behind its back. Thankyou, Americans, for correcting me when I was wrong and for explaining things for me. It looks like Australians won't be able to travel without a permit for the rest of this year, but when I do manage to go back to America, I plan to meet as many of you as my wife (an introvert) can manage.

    Thank you. We really do appreciate the prayers and well-wishes of people from other countries. We really need it right now. Josephine and I will be happy to meet you, and put you up if you need a pad to crash in, if you visit the Seattle area.

    Well, now, when can I, a neighbor down in Tacoma visit you and your charming wife, Mousie? I'm hoping to be moving to Seattle before 2022...
  • The5thMary wrote: »
    Well, now, when can I, a neighbor down in Tacoma visit you and your charming wife, Mousie? I'm hoping to be moving to Seattle before 2022...

    As you know, Seattle isn't that much farther than Tacoma, so your moving thither will not greatly hinder potential meetings. However we're in "Nobody gets out nobody gets in" mode right now because of the plague.
  • stetsonstetson Shipmate
    mousethief wrote: »
    stetson wrote: »
    Golden Key wrote: »
    Any other Americans feel like we're in ancient Rome, etc.?
    :eek:

    "And, in other news, the praetorian guard is rumored to have many dissenters, just waiting for a signal... And YOU are there!"

    (Ref to '60s/'70s TV show "You Are There", a news-like kids show that sent broadcasters (including Walter Cronkite) into history to report on it, as if really there.)

    You Weren't There

    (Only the first few minutes is the parody.)

    That's Fritz The Cat playing the host, and I'm sure you'll all recognize the photographer.

    The Ralph Bakshi Fritz the Cat?

    Yep.
  • stetsonstetson Shipmate
    ^ Sorry, that link didn't post the right article. The actor's name is Skip Hinnant, and he was indeed the voice of Fritz, in both the original Bakshi film, and the non-Bakshi sequel a few years later.
  • Martin54Martin54 Shipmate
    The5thMary wrote: »
    Lyda wrote: »
    Some people in Clinton's staff removed key board keys from some computers to prank Bush's people.

    They removed the "G's". Eorge Bush sounds funny.

    Eore Bush sounds like a donkey shrub.
  • Journalist Molly Ivins used to call him "Shrub". She knew him, somewhat, in their teens. (Different schools, mutual friends.)
  • Barnabas62Barnabas62 Purgatory Host, 8th Day Host, Epiphanies Host
    Just to give notice that this thread will be closed today and Lamb Chopped is preparing the final post.

    Barnabas62
    Purgatory Host
  • Thx, Barnabas, for both the heads-up and your patience with this thread!
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    I look forward to Lamb Chopped’s missive. 🙂
  • Martin54Martin54 Shipmate
    Last post and last Trump! So, is Biden The Dragon and Harris The Woman?
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    Goodbye to the worst human being ever to have held the office of President and the worst President in American history. Leave in disgrace trump. No class, no grace, no dignity. Good riddance.
  • DafydDafyd Shipmate
    According to wikipedia, one year into his term a survey of historians rated Trump as the third-worst President after the ones on either side of the Civil War. I can't think Trump has done anything to improve his standing.
  • Furtive GanderFurtive Gander Shipmate
    edited January 20
    The man doesn't have enough moral fibre to overcome his feelings and admit out loud that he LOST and enough grace, goodwill towards his country or common decency to turn up at the victor's inauguration. He seems not to see that it all harms his image while the world looks on with little respect for him as his successor takes over.

    What a sad pathetic sight he is.
  • Barnabas62Barnabas62 Purgatory Host, 8th Day Host, Epiphanies Host
    Trump did it his way.

    I think it very likely that Joe Biden will at least try to do it His way.
  • EirenistEirenist Shipmate
    I will remember him for throwing toilet paper to the Puerto Ricans after the hurricane. It set the tone for his presidency.
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    I’ll never forget the pussy-grabbing tape. I thought that was the end of him right there.
  • Just reading Judith Butler in the Guardian, arguing that Trump and his followers cannot accept loss, and hence, cannot mourn. This is interesting as mourning was written about by Freud near the end of his life, and in fact, led to new developments in psychoanalysis. For in mourning, I allow someone to inhabit my soul, temporarily, so that eventually I can let go, in Freud 's language, the shadow of the object falls upon the subject. I suppose that some white people, similarly, cannot accept being a minority. And Brexit is a denial of dependence. No link, sorry.
  • I'll be posting in roughly two hours, about inauguration time.
  • Is it actually true that Trump wants to start a Patriot party? Lots of chatter on Twitter. If he did, wouldn't the Dems win every election?
  • Gramps49Gramps49 Shipmate
    Eirenist wrote: »
    I will remember him for throwing toilet paper to the Puerto Ricans after the hurricane. It set the tone for his presidency.

    It was paper towels.
  • Furtive GanderFurtive Gander Shipmate
    edited January 20
    Is it actually true that Trump wants to start a Patriot party? Lots of chatter on Twitter. If he did, wouldn't the Dems win every election?

    It may be like Farage's lot in the UK where his 'party' had enough of a following to worry the major party in the same part of the polital spectrum (Tories here) and said they'd stand their own candidates (threatening to split the right-wing vote) unless the Tories adopted certain policies. It got Brexit done and trump could shift the Rep more to the right unless they became even more hostile, rascist, isolationist and anti-immigrant than they really want.
  • stetsonstetson Shipmate
    edited January 20
    Is it actually true that Trump wants to start a Patriot party? Lots of chatter on Twitter. If he did, wouldn't the Dems win every election?

    Almost certainly, on the Dems winning every election in that scenario. UNLESS...

    A. Trump is so popular that he pulls the totality of the GOP's electorate with him, thus making the Patriots the new Republicans.

    OR...


    B. Trump is so unpopular that no one votes for him, and the Republican electorate remains undivided.

    My best guess right now is that, in the event of DJT forming his own party, their viable third-party status would hold until the 2024 election, inclusive, thus guaranteeing the Dems at least one more presidential victory. But a combination of voter disenchantment and fears of a Democratic dynasty would finish off the Patriots in time for a possible GOP comeback in 2028.

  • DafydDafyd Shipmate
    The long-term viability of a Trump party would depend on it not being merely a Trump personality cult: such that some other person could take it over and make it all about them instead. Trump I think has no interest in making anything that isn't a Trump personality cult.
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    Gramps49 wrote: »
    Eirenist wrote: »
    I will remember him for throwing toilet paper to the Puerto Ricans after the hurricane. It set the tone for his presidency.

    It was paper towels.

    Also, regardless of paper type, I question whether it was "to" rather than "at."
  • I wonder what the TV is showing at Mar el Largo right now...
This discussion has been closed.