Today I Consign To Hell -the All Saints version

Comments

• Penny SPenny S Shipmate
    Something similar on another place I go. Though having read the text, I do wonder if, in some cases, it is not love of money, but fear of no money.
    I agree with that last sentence, though.
  • FirenzeFirenze Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    He works in a bank. They must have spent tens of thousands on that flat.

It's the wild misestimation that can look at me and Mr F and think: Scientist of international standing and his wife, never been anything to us but friendly and obliging - clearly they are out to chisel us out of a few hundred.
  • Penny SPenny S Shipmate
    edited July 2021
    Milk delivery. As in, none. Web site shows delivery completed. Spend half an hour of baroque music waiting to ask what's up. Find other page on website shows refund.
    Emergency UHT is low, and the cases in the vicinity of the shop are not.
    They have my email and spam it. Why not do a quick "Sorry, he has covid, we'll deliver tomorrow" or something?
    OK, the banker is one.
    Off to find a cow.
  • Politicians. Mainly because they are trained in all the wrong things (like arguing and being all puffed up) and believe that this makes them experts in science, epidemiology and infectious disease. Second, because they're unable to consider more than one thing in dealing with the pandemic, in a pinch two: right now it is all vaccines and ignoring case rates, infection rates, what's in the sewage and all the other indicators. Third, I don't know exactly, but I hates it politicians I do.
  • The sky has clouded over. There is a stiff breeze. It is 23 degrees. It is Good Drying Weather.

And I - clad in short-sleeved shirt and shorts - feel cold.
  • Still a bit of Sun Shine in Arkland, albeit with some sporadic cloud as well, and a stiff east-north-east breeze. Quite pleasant, nonetheless.

I am wearing a thick long-sleeved shirt, and track-suit trousers (O! the sartorial elegance - but you should see some of my neighbours...).

My knees are not fit for public viewing.
    :disappointed:

Rain, tempest, and storm, probably with lightning, and possibly hail, are forecast for tomorrow. This is solely because it is the day of the Summer Fair at Our Place - fortunately, we can use the Hall, now that the Nursery is on its summer break!
  • TICTH the so-called *microwave steam cleaning* thingies.

They Don't Work...

Do any of you domestic gods and/or goddesses have any helpful hints on how to safely clean the inside of a microwave? There's not an awful lot of gunk present, but it does seem very hard to shift, and I hardly like to attack it with anything abrasive!
  • TheOrganistTheOrganist Shipmate
    edited July 2021
    I don't know what device/method you've tried but this works for me.

Medium-sized basin half-filled with water, a squirt of washing-up liquid and a few drops of lemon juice. Heat on full power for c5 minutes - water should now be boiling.

Turn power to 30% and give it another 5 minutes. Leave for 5 minutes.

Remove basin, remove base-plate and wheel support thing, then wipe out steamy inside with dry micro-fibre cloth.

If you still have grease, put base-plate back in, re-heat water and repeat wipe out with clean cloth.

When inside clean to your satisfaction, wash base-plate and wheel and put back in.
  • I don't know what device/method you've tried but this works for me.

Medium-sized basin half-filled with water, a squirt of washing-up liquid and a few drops of lemon juice. Heat on full power for c5 minutes - water should now be boiling.

Remove basin, remove base-plate and wheel support thing, then wipe out steamy inside with dry micro-fibre cloth.

If you still have grease, put base-plate back in, re-heat water and repeat wipe out with clean cloth.

When inside clean to your satisfaction, wash base-plate and wheel and put back in.

Thanks! I'll give it a try (once I've bought some lemon juice). I think the steam cleaning thingies are supposed to work like that, but they don't. And yes, I have followed the instructions...
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    The sky has clouded over. There is a stiff breeze. It is 23 degrees. It is Good Drying Weather.

And I - clad in short-sleeved shirt and shorts - feel cold.

I can't help thinking that if you're feeling cold when it's 23°, you're Not Well. :(

• It did warm up later, and we put on a fan.
  • kingsfoldkingsfold Shipmate
    I don't know what device/method you've tried but this works for me.

Thanks! I'll give it a try (once I've bought some lemon juice). I think the steam cleaning thingies are supposed to work like that, but they don't. And yes, I have followed the instructions...

I've done similar with vinegar instead of the lemon juice...
  • Yes, the lemon juice is optional.
  • Thanks, both.
    :wink:

I tried the vinegar method, and it has worked up to a point - but there are still some stubborn patches of gunk (Heaven only knows what they've come from... :grimace: ), so I'll have another go. I have to go Shopp Ing tomorrow, so I'll buy some lemon juice...as long as there isn't a sudden World Shortage...
  • Wesley JWesley J Circus Host
    Remember, you're buying lemon juice, not world, so that won't affect you!
  • 🤣
  • Thanks, both.

I tried the vinegar method, and it has worked up to a point - but there are still some stubborn patches of gunk (Heaven only knows what they've come from... :grimace: ), so I'll have another go. I have to go Shopp Ing tomorrow, so I'll buy some lemon juice...as long as there isn't a sudden World Shortage...

Are you using ordinary kitchen vinegar? Around here that means 5% acetic acid, but you can also buy 10% cleaning vinegar, which is my weapon of choice for difficult cleaning operations (and as mentioned elsewhere, has some uses as a weed killer).
  • Thanks, both.

Are you using ordinary kitchen vinegar? Around here that means 5% acetic acid, but you can also buy 10% cleaning vinegar, which is my weapon of choice for difficult cleaning operations (and as mentioned elsewhere, has some uses as a weed killer).

Yes - ordinary vinegar. I'll see if I can find some cleaning vinegar as well as the lemon juice!

• HuiaHuia Shipmate
    I have heard of cleaning vinegar, but never seen it for sale here. I did find some citric acid in powder form ( my mother used to use it in either cooking or preserving) and thought I might put that in the vinegar to increase acidity. Usually though I clean things a couple of times with ordinary vinegar.
  • I am quite bemused by all this talk of how to clean microwaves.
    All mine gets is a wipe round inside with a cloth wrung out in hot water and, if the porridge or custard has boiled over, putting the base plate in with the washing-up.
  • SojournerSojourner Shipmate
    Likewise
    edited July 2021
    ... if the porridge or custard has boiled over ...
    A former boss of David's once exploded a microwave by cooking porridge in it.

Serve him right. :naughty:
  • Piglet wrote: »
    A former boss of David's once exploded a microwave by cooking porridge in it.
    How on earth...?
  • Dangerous stuff, porridge, in the hands of a Sassenach.
  • Stick to Weetabix: when lukewarm can be used as tile adhesive/grouting to great effect.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    edited July 2021
    Stick to Weetabix: when lukewarm can be used as tile adhesive/grouting to great effect.

I remember chipping dried Weet-bix (NZ's version of the stuff) off my youngest brother's high-chair while helping my mother clean up. Horrible stuff.
  • Curiosity killedCuriosity killed Shipmate
    edited July 2021
    Porridge sets like concrete too, so no choice on that basis. But I hate Weetabix in its revolting mushy state, I'll eat it dry with butter, but not in milk. I like porridge.
    My granny used to like buttered Weetabix; I went through a phase of eating it , but I don't think I'd fancy it now.
  • We ate buttered weetabix as children; my brother even used to have piccalilli on his.
  • The first time I saw buttered weetabix was at a Girl Crusader Camp in 1973.

• Wesley JWesley J Circus Host
    I should get some Weetabix again, so can recall why am not a regular user. I don't remember really. I guess it's just too much effort opening a package all the time. I can just as well get cheaper and even more delicious cereals by mixing them myself, I s'ppose.
  • kingsfoldkingsfold Shipmate
    My grandmother used to use Weetabix instead of digestives to make a "biscuit" base for cheesecakes and the like. I suspect it may have had something to do with the fact that my grandfather developed late onset diabetes, which was diet controlled, and weetabix would have been a lot less sweet. Whether she added any sugar at all, I can't remember. I wouldn't have noticed that, though it was substantially less crunchy....
  • Someone once told me that if you ran out of Weetabix, you could always eat the cardboard box, as it tasted much the same.
    🤮
  • FirenzeFirenze Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    On Nevsky bridge a Russian stood
    Chewing his beard for lack of food.
    Said he 'This stuff is hard to eat,
    But it's a damn sight better than shredded wheat".
  • Buttered Weetabix. I think this is the name of a politician.
  • JapesJapes Shipmate
    Those who stick their finished with chewing gum to any available hidden surface.

Specifically under various pews and ledges in my church. Now I've found it all I find myself unable to ignore it. 15 bits were old enough to pull off and I reckon were of Christmas 2019 vintage but about 15 bits are definitely more recent and I think were probably as a result of a recent funeral of a young adult.... I will return with the bottle of sticky stuff remover tomorrow.

Maybe I should just CTH myself for being idiotic enough to decide today was a good day to do my occasional clean in places most people don't look (Except, more than just me had been muttering about the build-up of cobwebs under the pews).
  • RuthRuth Shipmate
    A dentist at a university in NZ has come up with a magnetic device to keep fat people's mouths closed so they stay on liquid diets. In any other situation, starving people is considered torture.
  • The local authority: it's the school summer holidays and Marcus Rashford has made the point that there are children who won't get fed, so there is a provision of packed lunches for children who would otherwise get free school meals during the school terms to be distributed to those children during the holidays; 5 days for 5 weeks starting this week. All well and good and perfectly reasonable lunches to be distributed: a sandwich (cheese or ham with salad), a bottle of water, a piece of fruit (apple/satsuma) and either a small packet of crisps or a packet of Mini Cheddars (little cheese biscuits) and an individually wrapped chocolate bar or a yoghurt from the ones I've handled so far.

The problem is the way the county council has set up the access to these meals; the posters advertise activity sessions, when year after year they get cancelled for the older age groups as there is no take up for secondary school age pupils (11-16), with, in very small print, "a packed lunch may be provided". And to sign up means finding a log in to a complicated website which suggests that what is being provided is 4 hours of activities, which is not enough to allow most people to work and too long to keep most kids contained sensibly without a lot of structure, especially when that's not necessarily what these youngsters need after the last 18 months.

We know there are youngsters in need, and are trying to reach them with these meals, handing them out on the street at the moment, and trying to get the word out. We found one mother yesterday with two school age children heading up to the allotments in the hope of finding something to eat, desperately happy that we fed her daughters. We met others we knew, but this is very hit and miss. And when my colleague collected the meals from the neighbouring youth centre they were in the same state, nobody signed up, known need, no joined up thinking to invite children known to be on free school meals from the schools, nothing.

We will offer activities, but actually our priority is to feed the kids, not to insist they engage in four hours of activities. Support, provision to meet their needs, not painting egg cups.
  • TICTH the *government* that seems to think such deprivation is OK...
    :rage:
    edited July 2021
    Quite so.

TICTH the escalators at Waverley Station. Today and yesterday, when I was going up to Princes Street in the morning, the longest up escalator was broken and the down one working; when I was going down to the station in the evening to get the train home, guess what? Yup, the down escalator was buggered, and the up one working.

You'd almost think they saw me coming ... :rage:
  • All good exercise ... When I last used Waverley, the escalators had yet to be installed!
  • North East QuineNorth East Quine Purgatory Host
    I suspect that a young Baptist Trainfan might well have bounded up the stairs in the years before the escalators, but were you to revisit, you might find that the stairs look a lot less like "good exercise" now. Certainly my days of regarding those stairs as "good exercise" have long gone.

My son takes pleasure in running up the stairs while I am still in the queue to get onto the escalator. It is not one of his more endearing qualities.
  • I thought the usual practice was to always have at least one escalator running up, even if others are out of service?
  • I suspect that a young Baptist Trainfan might well have bounded up the stairs in the years before the escalators.
    I have never been guilty of bounding. And I do accept that stationary escalators are usually harder to go up than ordinary stairs (I think the risers are higher).

I thought the usual practice was to always have at least one escalator running up, even if others are out of service?

Apparently not.

At least the up one was working this morning.
  • Perhaps they only go in one way.
  • Perhaps they only go in one way.

I'm not sure if perhaps you're being Not Entirely Serious ( :wink: ), but I'm almost certain that some, at least, can be put into reverse if required.

That is to say, the one normally used as the down escalator can, if the other is out of action, be made to go up instead, thus at least saving poor piglets the need to trudge upwards like Sisyphus pushing his boulder...
  • I was being serious, actually, though my understanding is that they usually can go in either direction.
  • :wink:

As long as adequate warning notice is given to the unsuspecting travellers before reversal is made...
  • Baptist TrainfanBaptist Trainfan Shipmate
    edited July 2021
    Certainly on the Underground there is a Protocol which has to be observed, for Obvious Reasons.

Near us there is a roundabout (no, not that sort of roundabout) on which traffic lights suddenly illuminate when the traffic reaches a certain level. Clearly any route which is going to go to red starts with amber ... as happened to me yesterday.