I bunked off church this morning: I was a bit zonked after going up to Inverness and back yesterday.
If I had been there, I'd have celebrated Harvest with the following:
All creatures of our God and King - Lasst Uns Erfreuen Dance and sing - Pulling Bracken For the beauty of the earth - Dix (the Wrong Tune) There is a Redeemer We plough the fields and scatter - Wir Pflügen
A service of two halves: fairly jolly in the first half, more thoughtful in the second.
“Great is thy faithfulness” its own tune.
“Our God makes the harvest grow” - Old MacDonald.
“Let's give thanks for the harvest” school assembly song.
“For the fruits of his creation” Ar Hyd y Nos.
“God in his love for us lent us this planet” - Springfield.
“Now we sing a harvest song” - St George's Windsor.
For the beauty of the earth - Dix (the Wrong Tune)
Agreed. I don't much like "Dix" but, to me, it goes to "As with gladness, men of old".
So it does, but (as I think @Piglet implies), England's Lane is a much more cheerful tune for For the beauty of the earth. I forgot to ask my Spy if they sang the latter at Our Place today.
BTW, IIRC there's yet a third tune for FTBOTE - does that ring any bells?
Probably sounds better on an organ than on a carillon ...
That's the first tune listed in CH4, and was new to me on moving here. The second tune is MOSELEY, which I have never sung or heard. ENGLAND'S LANE is what I grew up with.
We had:
This is the day
O Lord, our Lord (TRAMPS AND HAWKERS; I recorded a new version of this today, in harmony with a bit slower pace. The version I had on file was a bit clunky and didn't really do justice to the tune. I'm not sure, however, if I've gone a bit too slow now.
I need thee every hour
All my hope on God is founded (MICHAEL)
Fill your hearts with joy and gladness (RHUDDLAN)
That works perfectly well, but personally I prefer "Regent Square".
REGENT SQUARE would serve, yes, but I'm not sufficiently partial to it that I'd make another recording unless someone asked for it specifically. CH4 has it to RHUDDLAN so I was happy to go with that.
A good turnout at Our Place, so my Spy tells me. The Lord's Prayer from The Sheet was the Kum-ba-yah version, and not, as I had feared, the loathsome Auld Lang Syne drivel by Cliff Richard...
All are welcome - (Yeah, right.)
Make me a channel of your peace - Its St Francis's feast day and those words have falsely been ascribed to him in the past (I think.)
Bread of Life
Lord of all hopefulness - down a semitone and with my own much simpler accompaniment. Its an Irish folk tune, it does need a different chord for every note of the tune. One chord per bar and at a lilting on-in-a-bar rhythm does the trick.
Down a semitone? Have mercy , it's got a low Bb in it as it is!
All are welcome - (Yeah, right.)
Make me a channel of your peace - Its St Francis's feast day and those words have falsely been ascribed to him in the past (I think.)
Bread of Life
Lord of all hopefulness - down a semitone and with my own much simpler accompaniment. Its an Irish folk tune, it does need a different chord for every note of the tune. One chord per bar and at a lilting on-in-a-bar rhythm does the trick.
Down a semitone? Have mercy , it's got a low Bb in it as it is!
We have an old congregation. Low is easier than high for them.
We had:
Come ye thankful people, come
Praise God for the harvest (same tune as “When a knight won his spurs”)
Give thanks with a grateful heart
For the fruits of his creation (Ar Hyd y Nos)
We plough the fields and scatter
I can’t remember why I didn’t put in “All creatures of our God and King”. Probably because it’s a bit long and we haven’t had a very good turnout for Harvest for a few years. The service has to be at 4pm, as our church is inaccessible on the first Sunday morning on October (road closures for a half marathon). In fact the church was full this year, as the Korean congregation that use our building on Sunday afternoons volunteered to cater for everyone for a harvest supper afterwards, and they turned out in vast numbers.
We had:#
Praise God for the harvest (same tune as “When a knight won his spurs”)
That's "Stowey".
In fact the church was full this year, as the Korean congregation that use our building on Sunday afternoons volunteered to cater for everyone for a harvest supper afterwards, and they turned out in vast numbers.
Trinity 19 at Our Place tomorrow:
Great is thy faithfulness (Faithfulness) And can it be (Sagina) Lead us, heavenly Father, lead us (Mannheim) When a knight won his spurs (Stowey)
“Jesus calls us here to meet him” - Hyfrydol (for a change).
“As we are gathered Jesus is here” - its own tune.
“I am the church! You are the church!” - its own tune.
“Brother, sister, let me serve you” - Servant Song.
“Lord, from whom all blessings flow” - Tichfield.
Lord of the Church, we pray for our renewing” - Londonderry Air (my wife will slay me!).
Comments
If I had been there, I'd have celebrated Harvest with the following:
All creatures of our God and King - Lasst Uns Erfreuen
Dance and sing - Pulling Bracken
For the beauty of the earth - Dix (the Wrong Tune)
There is a Redeemer
We plough the fields and scatter - Wir Pflügen
“Great is thy faithfulness” its own tune.
“Our God makes the harvest grow” - Old MacDonald.
“Let's give thanks for the harvest” school assembly song.
“For the fruits of his creation” Ar Hyd y Nos.
“God in his love for us lent us this planet” - Springfield.
“Now we sing a harvest song” - St George's Windsor.
So it does, but (as I think @Piglet implies), England's Lane is a much more cheerful tune for For the beauty of the earth. I forgot to ask my Spy if they sang the latter at Our Place today.
BTW, IIRC there's yet a third tune for FTBOTE - does that ring any bells?
Probably sounds better on an organ than on a carillon ...
Here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0-FVHStYvc&list=RDL0-FVHStYvc&start_radio=1
That's the first tune listed in CH4, and was new to me on moving here. The second tune is MOSELEY, which I have never sung or heard. ENGLAND'S LANE is what I grew up with.
We had:
This is the day
O Lord, our Lord (TRAMPS AND HAWKERS; I recorded a new version of this today, in harmony with a bit slower pace. The version I had on file was a bit clunky and didn't really do justice to the tune. I'm not sure, however, if I've gone a bit too slow now.
I need thee every hour
All my hope on God is founded (MICHAEL)
Fill your hearts with joy and gladness (RHUDDLAN)
REGENT SQUARE would serve, yes, but I'm not sufficiently partial to it that I'd make another recording unless someone asked for it specifically. CH4 has it to RHUDDLAN so I was happy to go with that.
Blimey. There's a choice made in Hell...
Down a semitone? Have mercy , it's got a low Bb in it as it is!
We have an old congregation. Low is easier than high for them.
Come ye thankful people, come
Praise God for the harvest (same tune as “When a knight won his spurs”)
Give thanks with a grateful heart
For the fruits of his creation (Ar Hyd y Nos)
We plough the fields and scatter
I can’t remember why I didn’t put in “All creatures of our God and King”. Probably because it’s a bit long and we haven’t had a very good turnout for Harvest for a few years. The service has to be at 4pm, as our church is inaccessible on the first Sunday morning on October (road closures for a half marathon). In fact the church was full this year, as the Korean congregation that use our building on Sunday afternoons volunteered to cater for everyone for a harvest supper afterwards, and they turned out in vast numbers.
How wonderful!
Usual canticles
Psalm 89 (part) - chant by George C Martin
Hymns:
God of mercy, God of grace - Heathlands
O for a closer walk with God - Caithness
God that madest earth and heaven - Ar Hyd Y Nos
Great is thy faithfulness (Faithfulness)
And can it be (Sagina)
Lead us, heavenly Father, lead us (Mannheim)
When a knight won his spurs (Stowey)
“As we are gathered Jesus is here” - its own tune.
“I am the church! You are the church!” - its own tune.
“Brother, sister, let me serve you” - Servant Song.
“Lord, from whom all blessings flow” - Tichfield.
Lord of the Church, we pray for our renewing” - Londonderry Air (my wife will slay me!).
The God Of Abraham Praise (Leoni)
O God Our Help In Ages Past (St Anne)
There Is A Higher Throne (Getty)
And Can It Be (Sagina)
We plough the fields
Think of a world without any flowers
Blessed be our God.
And one more worship song I didn’t know.