Heaven: Christmas Songs We Don’t Like

ArielAriel Shipmate
edited January 2023 in Limbo
I enjoy most of the Christmas music I hear, and will happily sing or hum along to most of the songs, but there are a few pieces I can't stand.

"Santa Claus is Coming to Town"
"Santa Baby"
I also really dislike "Away in a Manger."

(And while I think of it, is there anyone left who hasn't yet been knocked out of the Whamageddon by inadvertently hearing "Last Christmas"?)

Let's hear it for those seasonal pieces we love to hate. Have yourself a merry little Christmas, because baby, it's cold outside!

(Thread transfer from Hell with amended title, Doublethink, Admin)

Comments

• I share your hatred of *Away in a Manger*

Sentimental Tosh.
    🤮
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    I'm still in Whamageddon - despite having braved both the hairdresser and Tesco's the other day!

I don’t mind Away in a manger - the Willcocks arrangement in Carols for Choirs is such a standard part of the Christmas repertoire that I'd probably sing it on autopilot.

My pet hates are Silent night, which I can just about tolerate, and O holy night, which I can't. I don't like the word "hate", but it comes close; if I never hear it again, it'll still be too soon.

As for the secular ones - I can very easily live without most of the American ones - especially Bing Crosby sliding about all over the place except on the right note in White Christmas.

Confession time: I do quite like Do they know it's Christmas?, Merry Christmas Everybody and Mull of Kintyre*.

Sorry about that. :blush:

* not strictly a Christmas song I know, but it was at number one in the charts at Christmas and I sort of associate it with New Year.
  • O Holy Night. It's like Facebook glurge turned into melody. I heard the best soprano of my life a week ago, and even she couldn't redeem it.
    And I thought that after David died, I was the only person left in the world who didn't like it! You've made my day! :mrgreen:
  • SpikeSpike Ecclesiantics & MW Host, Admin Emeritus
    Silent Night - it’s a dirge

Once in Royal David’s City - twee crap about how he spent all his childhood honouring and obeying his mother, although the only documented part of Jesus’ childhood is the time when he disobeyed his parents, and possibly the worst line ever “When like stars his children crowned all in white shall wait around”

The First Nowell - incredibly boring tune that just repeats over and over, far too many verses and words that look as thought they were written by William McGonagal
    O Holy Night. It's like Facebook glurge turned into melody. I heard the best soprano of my life a week ago, and even she couldn't redeem it.

I remember some years ago performing a “special” arrangement of O Holy Night written by a friend of mine. Basically it had a tenor soloist and a backing choir that just got louder and louder as the song went on until we had completely drowned out the soloist who eventually resorted to singing through a megaphone..
  • I managed to survive Whamageddon until today. A whole 18 days longer than last year, when I made Whamhalla at 7.30am on the first of December (a local radio DJ who'd not heard of Whamageddon, and got a lot of angry callers that morning).

Thus far, thanks be to God, I've not heard that sick-making McCartney one - there's one line that jsu makes me want to punch him, it's so trite.
  • Spike wrote: »
    Silent Night - it’s a dirge

Once in Royal David’s City - twee crap about how he spent all his childhood honouring and obeying his mother, although the only documented part of Jesus’ childhood is the time when he disobeyed his parents, and possibly the worst line ever “When like stars his children crowned all in white shall wait around”

The First Nowell - incredibly boring tune that just repeats over and over, far too many verses and words that look as thought they were written by William McGonagal

Agreed. All three should be consigned to the midden of history forthwith.
  • Nick TamenNick Tamen Shipmate
    edited December 2022
    Piglet wrote: »
    And I thought that after David died, I was the only person left in the world who didn't like it! You've made my day! :mrgreen:
    Oh, there are at least three of us! :wink:

Silent Night can be quite lovely if accompanied by guitar rather than keyboard, and if it keeps moving with a slight lilt, akin to a ländler. The Vienna Boys Choir does it well.

I also strongly dislike Last Christmas, Simply Having a Wonderful Christmastime, and All I Want for Christmas Is You. Not really a fan of The Christmas Song (“Chestnuts roasting on an open fire”) or It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year, either, if I’m honest.

• Jingle Bells is the worst of the lot.
    cgichard wrote: »
    Jingle Bells is the worst of the lot.

Why is it even considered a Christmas song? It makes no mention of Christmas whatsoever, it’s just a song about winter. The same could also be said about Winter Wonderland, Let It Snow, Sleigh Ride, Frosty The Snowman etc.
    Stop the Cavalry by Jona Lewie. OK, not a bad song in itself, but wasn’t originally intended to be a “Christmas song”. It’s an anti war song that was originally released in the summer but didn’t get anywhere. Because it had the word “Christmas” in it (a soldier lamenting that he wants to be home for Christmas) a record producer stuck some sleigh bells and a brass band on it and, hey presto, Jona Lewie has a massive pension.

I Believe in Father Christmas by Greg Lake. Every year it’s played on every radio station as some sort of Christmas classic, but have they ever actually listened to the words? It’s got a nice tune but is one of the most cynical anti-Christmas songs that’s ever been written

I Believe in Father Christmas by Greg Lake. Every year it’s played on every radio station as some sort of Christmas classic, but have they ever actually listened to the words? It’s got a nice tune but is one of the most cynical anti-Christmas songs that’s ever been written

That may be why I quite like it.

It's pretty much how I feel about Christmas if I'm a bit down.
  • EnochEnoch Shipmate
    Spike wrote: »
    cgichard wrote: »
    Jingle Bells is the worst of the lot.
    Why is it even considered a Christmas song? It makes no mention of Christmas whatsoever, it’s just a song about winter. The same could also be said about Winter Wonderland, Let It Snow, Sleigh Ride, Frosty The Snowman etc.
    They're all dreadful too.

I don't mind Silent night or O holy night on the right occasion and sung well, but I don't think anything can rescue Away in a manger. Once in royal David's city with its syrupy tune and what @Spike aptly describes as "twee crap" is no better.

KarlLB wrote: »

I get that. It’s not a bad song in itself, it’s just that like Stop the Cavalry, most people completely miss the point.

I get that. It’s not a bad song in itself, it’s just that like Stop the Cavalry, most people completely miss the point.

Yeah, I never get that. Lyrics are pretty central to my enjoyment of a lot of music. If they're comprehensible (the aren't always) then I can't not listen to them.
  • Piglet wrote: »

And you've made mine!!!!
  • You may have noticed that on the inverse thread I stated that I am not interested in your grandmother's encounter with a reindeer
  • TelfordTelford Deckhand, Styx
    O Holy Night. It's like Facebook glurge turned into melody. I heard the best soprano of my life a week ago, and even she couldn't redeem it.

I had never heard this song till 22 years ago. It's very good if sung well. El Divo haved done the best version.

Do They Know It’s Christmas, especially for that dreadful line “Tonight thank God it’s them instead of you”

Not by a long way. It's an awful thing, apparently designed to tempt singers into doing Bad Things.
  • Any of the traditional carols which have been "modernised" with an accompanying midi and percussion track, generally performed at a slower tempo than the original. Mrs BA bought a couple of CDs in this style a year or two ago. They were consigned to the bin without being played through once. Dismal performances.
  • ArielAriel Shipmate
    Any of the traditional carols which have been "modernised" with an accompanying midi and percussion track, generally performed at a slower tempo than the original. Mrs BA bought a couple of CDs in this style a year or two ago. They were consigned to the bin without being played through once. Dismal performances.

Ah yes, they were playing a modernized version of Hark the Herald Angels Sing in the local shopping centre at the weekend. I didn't immediately recognize it but it really was a caricature of an otherwise lovely piece of music.

Whoever mentioned Simply Havin' a Wunnerful Chrismas Time - yep. I must have blotted the awfulness of this from my memory but that is one of the limpest Christmas songs I've heard.

As for Winter Wonderland, this is one of my favourites and always cheers me up when I hear it, but music is a very individual thing.
  • HugalHugal Shipmate
    Mistletoe and Wine. Cliff’s other two Little Town and Saviour’s Day (both have input from Chris Eaton) are much better
    Cliff Richard - O Little Town of Bethlehem
    Cliff Richard - Mistletoe and Wine
    Cliff Richard - Millennium Prayer
    Cliff Richard - Saviour’s Day

All of them bloody terrible.
  • 'We're walking in the air'. No we bloody aren't. I avoid shopping at this time. Last year Waitrose was jingle free. Mrs RR says she will visit today to see if I can go in without suffering apoplexy'. I've suffered enough ...
  • RockyRoger wrote: »
    'We're walking in the air'. No we bloody aren't.

To be fair, they were in the film.

I'll confess to liking the Greg Lake, but just because it's a rather nice tune - "Troika" from Lieutenant Kije by Prokofiev; I was well into adulthood before I twigged how cynical the words were!
    I'll confess to liking the Greg Lake, but just because it's a rather nice tune - "Troika" from Lieutenant Kije by Prokofiev; I was well into adulthood before I twigged how cynical the words were!

I'm not sure they're cynical. For me it's more a recognition that the magical Christmas of childhood doesn’t continue into adulthood. Both the secular presents and Santa and excitement and lights, tinsel and glitter, and the religious Baby Jesus in the manger and angel choirs and oriental fortune tellers - the whole thing doesn’t feel the same when you're an adult. And it probably starts when you find out about Father Christmas.

Resonates with me.
  • ArielAriel Shipmate
    In the past couple of years it's come home to me that Christmas is a myth: a convention, a belief, not a physical fact. Nothing actually happens on Christmas Day. There are no heavenly choirs of angels and all the rest of it. It's simply that many of us agree to commemorate something that was over and done with centuries ago and which has largely metamorphosed into a winter festival.

But that's a topic for a different thread, so I shall only say that I love all the glitter and sparkle, the music*, the air of excitement, the food, etc. I do still sometimes glimpse the magic. And that's fine, even if for me personally, it's empty at the central core.

* Well, if it doesn't feature Lennon or McCartney or the abovementioned songs and I don't have to listen to Away in a Manger. We now return you to your regular thread.
    Do They Know It’s Christmas, especially for that dreadful line “Tonight thank God it’s them instead of you”

Don't like songs that aren't truthful. "There won't be snow in Africa this winter?" Look at Mt Kilimanjaro you plonker

• Ah, would that it worked like that... the transformative power of Glam Metal.
  • HugalHugal Shipmate

Little town is actually quite good. Very clever use of the new melody.
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    edited December 2022
    Hugal wrote: »

Little town is actually quite good. Very clever use of the new melody.

De gustibus non sit disputandem.

(Roughly - There's no accounting for taste)
    Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
    Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas

I've always loved this song. It always seemed melancholy and poignant to me, especially the version of the lyrics that includes; "Someday soon, we all may be together, if the fates allow; until then we'll have to muddle through somehow." Pretty much how many of my Christmases have been, one way or the other. I also loved Judy Garland's performance of it in the Movie, Meet me in St Louis. Kind of glad we didn't get the original, original lyrics though if this is anything to go by!

At the moment, I can't easily think of a Christmas song or hymn I outrightly hate that much. Though I admit I found Sir Cliff's offerings a little cringy, apart from 'O Little town of Bethlehem'. I suppose I'm so used to singing whatever's been slated for worship, and knowing that someone somewhere is loving this piece of music, I don't get that much into whether or not it bothers me. Also, as a long-time choir member I sing so much music without having to 'believe' in every sentiment expressed, that I just naturally tune out the bits that don't connect and focus on just doing the music justice. I was astonished by a friend who once, checking out my choir folder of a little secular chamber group I belonged to, said she couldn't have been in that group because we were singing some French songs about the Virgin Mary's life; and as she didn't believe those particular myths about Mary, she couldn't, in all conscience have sung them! Lord knows what she would've made of Carmina Burana!

I think, too, having grown up singing all kinds of Christmas music since a babe in arms, long before I was ever grown up enough to know why I might end up objecting to it, my sensibilities have probably been fatally impaired by personal memories of fun and family.
    This has always held a special place in my heart. Over Christmas-tide it was never off the radio in County Cork, while I did my rounds, along with Joe Dolan's 'O Holy night'.

• AmosAmos Shipmate
    Every year I dislike 'Once in Royal David's City' and 'Ding Dong Merrily On High' a little bit more.
  • ArielAriel Shipmate
    Ah, now "Ding Dong" always reminds me of schooldays and that last end-of-term carol assembly session in the great hall where the whole school enthusiastically belted it out.

Christmas songs hold memories sometimes. They may not be great songs in themselves, but the associations can give them value (yes, sometimes it's a negative value. For that reason I really hate Marche des Rois - "De bon matin, j'ai rencontré le train..." which we had to practice until we were utterly sick of it. Luckily that's never caught on here.)
  • I have a particular loathing for Little Drummer Boy. I was amazed that many people list it as their favourite which doesn't say much for current musical standards. No more ruppa pum pum please!
  • "Once in Royal" has a long -standing problematic place in my heart for the sentiment others have mentioned: " Christian children all must be, mild obedient, good as he". Since the age of 9 I quietly refused to sing that verse on the grounds that no, Mrs Alexander I am not Jesus so expecting me to be "good as he" just isn't going to work.
  • Wanderer wrote: »
    "Once in Royal" has a long -standing problematic place in my heart for the sentiment others have mentioned: " Christian children all must be, mild obedient, good as he". Since the age of 9 I quietly refused to sing that verse on the grounds that no, Mrs Alexander I am not Jesus so expecting me to be "good as he" just isn't going to work.

That verse is frequently omitted or changed these days as it's blatant spiritual blackmail.
  • To the question whyJingle Bells, Frosty the Snowman, Sleigh Bells Ringing, are considered Christmas Songs who were the authors?

From the responses above, I am beginning to think the only acceptable music for Christmas would be Handel's Messiah, even though it was intended as an Easter Oratorio.
  • BroJamesBroJames Purgatory Host
    Gramps49 wrote: »
    To the question whyJingle Bells, Frosty the Snowman, Sleigh Bells Ringing, are considered Christmas Songs who were the authors?

From the responses above, I am beginning to think the only acceptable music for Christmas would be Handel's Messiah, even though it was intended as an Easter Oratorio.
    According to Wikipedia Jingle Bells
    was written by James Lord Pierpont (1822–1893) and published under the title "The One Horse Open Sleigh" in the autumn of 1857. It has been claimed that it was originally written to be sung by a Sunday school choir for Thanksgiving, or as a drinking song. Although it has no original connection to Christmas, it became associated with winter and Christmas music in the 1860s and 1870s

Frosty the Snowman (released in June 1950) probably was intended as a Christmas song since the B-side was (Isn't It A Shame That) Christmas Comes But Once A Year, but Frosty doesn’t mention anything about Christmas at all - except snow. It was written by Walter Rollins & Steve Nelson.

Similarly, neither Sleigh Bells Ringing nor Sleigh Bells Ring (Walking in a Winter Wonderland) mention Christmas at all. The lyrics of the former (by Neil Diamond) suggest it might have Thanksgiving in mind. Winter Wonderland, written in 1934 by Richard B. Smith was about a couple's romance during the winter season again with no mention of Christmas. (Later ‘children’s lyrics’ made it just about playing in the snow.)

• TelfordTelford Deckhand, Styx

Not if you're a Cliff fan
  • Telford wrote: »

Not if you're a Cliff fan

And some people enjoy erotic asphyxiation. So what?
    To the question whyJingle Bells, Frosty the Snowman, Sleigh Bells Ringing, are considered Christmas Songs who were the authors?

I don’t know. Care to enlighten us?
  • BroJamesBroJames Purgatory Host

I don’t know. Care to enlighten us?
    See my post above - though I can’t see how knowing who the authors are helps answer the question whether they are Christmas songs.
  • They are. The category is entirely socially defined. Play them any other time and people will feel they're unseasonal. You could play Walking in a Winter Wonderland in February with two foot of snow and people would question playing a Christmas song.