Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

The 10 Commandments: questions and discussion

SimonSimon Editor
edited February 2018 in The Styx
This thread is here for discussion and suggestions about our house rules, the 10 Commandments. Unlike the original 10 Commandments, our rules aren't chiselled in stone but are open for debate, although please bear in mind there are good reasons why we have the rules we do. They've been developed over several years by members of this community and reflect our experience in belonging to these forums.

Also see the 10 Commandments thread on our previous bulletin boards.

Comments

• CattyishCattyish Shipmate Posts: 23
    Hello :)

Can I post in All Saints about a local music festival I'm involved in or would that be advertising? I am a volunteer with this festival.

Similarly, can I post about a ticketed concert I'm singing in or is that advertising since it's costing money?

I'm assuming I'm ok to post about a free come and sing.

Cattyish, just checking.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    I think so - and I think your Events and Festivals thread in AS is pretty much what I was thinking when it was discussed with H&As.
  • CattyishCattyish Shipmate Posts: 23
    Thank you. I shall be open to rebuke if I'm being naughty.
    Cattyish, drinking beer and chatting online.
  • Piglet says it all, Cattyish. Just up this morning, cooler mornings are good for a bit more of a sleep.
  • BoogieBoogie Heaven Host
    I read ‘original 10 commandments’ at the top of this thread and, for a moment, thought it meant the ones on the Old Ship!

• verityverity Shipmate Posts: 28
    Question about multiple usernames...
    They have them on Mumsnet, but they're all linked to the same account - so you'd have your account and just change your name (bit like on Twitter, i suppose, but you wouldn't see the user account), it means that there's that extra bit of anonymity if a user wants to post something that might "out" them, or that might need a bit more privacy.
    But it also means that they can do fun namechanges, like seasonal namechanges or theme namechanges.

Admin and HQ would still be able to see who is who, because they have access to the central files.

I assume you have your own reasons for worrying about sock-puppetry, and the only reason I mention it at all is because I accidentally had two usernames on the old ship (I used the same email for both, but couldn't remember my original choice for username and picked a new one) - i only found out i had two when I lost my password and had to get a reminder.
    Boogie wrote: »
    I read ‘original 10 commandments’ at the top of this thread and, for a moment, thought it meant the ones on the Old Ship!

so did I! :smiley:
  • Alan Cresswell Alan Cresswell Admin, 8th Day Host
    verity wrote: »
    Question about multiple usernames...
    it means that there's that extra bit of anonymity if a user wants to post something that might "out" them, or that might need a bit more privacy.
    But it also means that they can do fun namechanges, like seasonal namechanges or theme namechanges.

Admin and HQ would still be able to see who is who.
    The software here won't allow multiple names per account, as was the case on the UBB!Ship (and this software won't allow multiple accounts with the same email). So the question is moot.

There may be a very small number of occasions when Captain Morgans rule might be useful, but not often enough for it to be something we wanted to be able to do. During the T'n'T boards we did introduce a method to do that, but even then it was very rarely used.
    Thank you.

How did I manage to get two usernames with the same email address then?!
    That's just weird!
  • RooKRooK Shipmate
    verity wrote: »
    How did I manage to get two usernames with the same email address then?!

Pretty obviously, you registered twice.
  • rhubarbrhubarb Shipmate
    What is BBCode??
  • RuthRuth Shipmate
    Click on the link and find out!
  • aliehsaliehs Shipmate
    Questions from an technologically challenged idiot[who hasn't read the manual obviously]:
    1. How does one submit an idea for a new thread?
    2. Who assigns it, if it is approved, to the appropriate board? My idea could fit into a variety of boards.
    3. I can't find any means of changing the font colour , though I notice other people do with alacrity. Help please.
    4. If one initiates a thread, who monitors it? The instigator or the captain and his officers?
    5. I am as I say an idiot, but I can't see how one inserts one's pithy signoff without doing it every time. Please help.

Now I see through a glass darkly. Maybe I should clean my specs.

Aliehs from Oz
  • Start a new thread for yourself wherever you think appropriate. Hosts for each board monitor posts and will move thread to a more appropriate board if necessary. Links will show in different colour. Hosts for any particular board are monitored by the Hosts for that board or if necessary by the Admins. The ionstigator for a thread may well be monitoring the thread but has no real say on the direction which thread moves in. That may not be the direction that person had envisaged when starting the thread. We used to have signatures which went in automatically. Not so here on this Ship.
  • Sorry for typos above. I did preview but brain is taken up with family matters and while I previewed link, I missed the others.
  • Alan Cresswell Alan Cresswell Admin, 8th Day Host
    Additional comments:

1. If you're not sure where something you want to discuss belongs, feel free to send a private message to the hosts of the board you think most likely for advice. If a thread is on the wrong board it will be moved, but it's better for all if it's started on the right board and costs nothing to ask someone.

2. There are options for changing the font colour/size which the tech savvy will know. But, we didn't include any tools to make that easy because our preference is to keep the appearance of posts clean and simple - minimal different colours, minimal images etc.
  • aliehsaliehs Shipmate
    Thank you both. I have cast my thread amongst the waters this morning in the Circus. Called Scattering Pearls.
  • anoesisanoesis Shipmate
    Hi!

I want to ask a question about what constitutes 'homework'. I've witnessed posters getting rapped over the metaphorical knuckles for starting 'Homework Threads' before, but given they're usually shut down pretty quickly, I don't know exactly what the parameters are.

I'd like to start a thread inviting responses from those who were resident in the United States on September 11, 2001, to get some first-hand accounts of, well, what it felt like. I feel I need to do this because, despite being a New Zealander, I'm attempting to write a book which contains some American characters, and the time-period of the book spans this event. I feel like there's no way, even as an imaginative individual, I can possibly put myself accurately in the headspace of a US citizen with regard to this event - it was gob-smacking enough on the other side of the world - and I don't want to mess it up.

But I can't pretend I wouldn't be asking other people to help me with a project I have going - that's exactly what I'd be doing. Is it homework?
  • RooKRooK Shipmate
    Yes, I'm afraid so. You'll have to find some other means to interview for source material.
  • RooKRooK Shipmate
    Unless, of course, you can persuade Simon to leverage the Ship for this. And assuming that you don't mind having a voting partner in the endeavour.
    RooK wrote: »
    Unless, of course, you can persuade Simon to leverage the Ship for this.
    How does one approach the throne?...
    RooK wrote: »
    And assuming that you don't mind having a voting partner in the endeavour.
    ?? Are you offering, maybe? Not quite sure, here...
  • RooKRooK Shipmate
    @Simon can be summoned in a number of ways. Are you asking for help with that? And my implication was meant to imply that the Captain might have terms of his own that we cannot anticipate.
    Thanks for the clarification. I guess I was asking if there was a specific process to be followed, when you're asking to have the rules bent - but it seems not.

I'll give the matter some thought. Trying to put myself in an admin's position, though, I can see why you might not want to risk opening the floodgates.
  • On the old ship, one could put a line or two in one's signature advertising a charitable campaign, a book one has published, or whatever else, and it would have seemed in order to put a request for Americans interested in your project to PM you there.

The new ship doesn't have sigs, and so seems to lack this avenue for publicity.
  • There's a thread in All Saints for people to advertise events or charitable giving - it's slipped to page 2 again - but it's here: Events and Festivals thread.

No-one seems to have noticed, but there's a blatant homework thread in Ecclesiantics currently. Maybe there could be some mileage for a homework thread - where people could ask for help with a project? And for Shipmates to get in contact by PM so that the discussion doesn't happen on the boards?
  • bunnywithanaxebunnywithanaxe Admin Emeritus
    anoesis wrote: »
    Thanks for the clarification. I guess I was asking if there was a specific process to be followed, when you're asking to have the rules bent - but it seems not.

I'll give the matter some thought. Trying to put myself in an admin's position, though, I can see why you might not want to risk opening the floodgates.
    I’m sure you’ve looked at this, but on the old site we archived a number of threads starting from a Purg, an AS, and a Hell thread started the day of the attack and a few more regarding the fallout over the following few days. It’s still over on the old site, which is being kept as a read only reference.