Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Animal companions in our happy homes

Comments

• PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Aren't they utterly adorable? 🐾❤
  • NicoleMRNicoleMR Shipmate
    A friend of mine came upon that on Twitter this morning and said how cute it was.
  • The things we do for our pets. I've had a very long shower while trying to clean a large sheet of Perspex so that I can use it to block our feral's tendency to spray a certain part of one of the bookcases. We had the sheet as a previous feral had sprayed my copy of the Book of Kells (reproduction, but still growl). I am still getting fluff out of the bath, and the thing doesn't look clean. Suspect I will have to get a new sheet and use this one to extend the cold frame.
  • BoogieBoogie Heaven Host
    edited April 2019
    A very shareworthy story.

Have a tissue ready :cry: :smiley:
  • One tissue is not enough. Great story.
    My turtle has just had her last of the series of antibiotic shots she was prescribed. And she is doing great. I am happy.
    Boogie wrote: »

That's what I'd call a furry-tail ending! :heart:
  • So happy to hear that your turtle is on the mend Nicole.
  • So happy to hear that your turtle is on the mend Nicole.

Ditto
    NicoleMR wrote: »
    My turtle has just had her last of the series of antibiotic shots she was prescribed. And she is doing great. I am happy.

Good news :mrgreen:
  • RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host, Glory
    edited April 2019
    Boogie wrote: »

Oh, that's beautiful. Thank you!

(But if she's a Latina dog, isn't her name Paquita?)

ETA: Wonderful new, @NicoleMR!

• I have given Molly a rubber Kong toy with peanut butter inside. That is finished within 3 minutes, next I got a puzzle with six little compartments in which you hide food, She figured out all six compartments in less then 2 minutes. I wanted to have something to entertain her when we went out and give her a snack if we were a little late getting back. Has anyone found a dog toy that holds food that takes a while for their dog to work it out?
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Maybe Molly is a whizz-dog at puzzles. Do they have Mensa for dogs?

Yesterday I lost Aroha. I walked around calling, told my neighbour J, who was outside gardening, I even got out her favourite food and hit the metal dish with a fork, but she didn't come running like she usually does. Eventually I opened the door of the room I had been working in, which has so far been closed off to Aroha - and of course there she was.

Half an hour later J turned up with a very unwilling tabby kitten that I had never seen before, which she found in her garage.

It was bigger than Aroha and has been hanging around J's place for a few days. As I had told her Aroha was a tabby she just presumed it was Aroha, but A is younger, and, of course, more beautiful. :wink:
    edited April 2019
    I have given Molly a rubber Kong toy with peanut butter inside. That is finished within 3 minutes, next I got a puzzle with six little compartments in which you hide food, She figured out all six compartments in less then 2 minutes. I wanted to have something to entertain her when we went out and give her a snack if we were a little late getting back. Has anyone found a dog toy that holds food that takes a while for their dog to work it out?

I put dog food in the Kong, soak it in a cup of water, tip the water out then freeze it. This lasts them much longer.

We have a stock of them in the freezer - we use them to keep them occupied when visitors come and I use them in cafes and restaurants to help the pup settle.

:)

• Jane RJane R Shipmate
    Oh is *that* how you're supposed to do a frozen Kong? We have two, but I never worked out what the dog trainer meant when she said 'give your puppy a frozen Kong to keep her occupied.'

Minnie is good with puzzles too. I think you can get puzzles of different levels of difficulty, but they all say 'don't leave your puppy with this unsupervised' which rather put me off buying any, as what we wanted was something to keep her amused when we have to leave her in her crate.
  • Oh thank you Boogie, I will give it a try. The puzzle I got for Molly has no parts Jane R, that can be taken off. Some do, so that you would not want to leave a dog along with them as they might choke. The little lids are all well attached to the base by hinges on Molly's.
  • I have met the fattest hamster ever! I’m “looking after” (visiting every few days to feed & fuss) Pop who belongs to a young friend. This hamster is so fat that it struggles getting through the tunnels that connect his living spaces - he manages but it’s a squeeze. So I give him runs in his exercise ball in the hope that he’ll slim down eventually.
  • When my son was in third grade they had a class rat by the name of Checkers. My son won the toss and was to be the care giver of
    Checkers over the summer school break, much to my surprise. Checkers was use to eating treats from all the children's lunches such as chocolate chip cookies and potato chips. He was very over weight. I gave Checkers pet store rat food. He slimmed down and died. I felt really bad to perhaps have killed him by his healthy rat diet.
    Huia wrote: »
    ...Yesterday I lost Aroha. I walked around calling, told my neighbour J, who was outside gardening, I even got out her favourite food and hit the metal dish with a fork, but she didn't come running like she usually does. Eventually I opened the door of the room I had been working in, which has so far been closed off to Aroha - and of course there she was. ...
    Oh, what a relief. Deo gratias!

“It’s nice and sunny, let’s go into the garden with the puppy and a coffee and relax.”

Can anyone spot the flaw in this idea? 😂 :lol:
  • Same with kittens - they race across your table or drop on you from the apple tree.
    Maybe the words "puppy" and "relax" don't belong together? :smiley:
    Piglet wrote: »
    Maybe the words "puppy" and "relax" don't belong together? :smiley:

Especially in the garden!

:lol:

• MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Boisterously happy puppies liberated into the garden & a carelessly held mug filled with steaming hot coffee do not go well together. From bitter experience.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Confusion rules. Out of the corner of my eye I thought I saw Aroha walk past the window. Then I looked at the Lazy-cat chair behind me and there she was -fast asleep. Yep another tabby. This one, like Aroha, has no white on its paws, but wears a collar. It is bigger than she is and obviously more adventurous as it is wandering the neighbourhood.
  • Next thing is eating Aroha’s food
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Yes, and she has expensive stuff too. No other animal will get to eat the wet food though as she has as she scoffs the lot in one go, then unsuccessfully demands more. I am so mean. :naughty:
  • Sensible. Allow her to binge and she'll only throw up everywhere - which is what my Great White does.
  • Truffles is one of those cats who snacks - I sometimes wonder if she’s leaving a bit just in case I forget to put out the next meal.
  • DormouseDormouse Shipmate
    I'm sad . I feed feral cats in the village, and one had a broken leg. My friend took her to the vet...there were two fractures, and she had no teeth. The vet recommended putting her to sleep. I know it was the best thing for Snuffles, but it's still hard.
    So sorry for your loss, Dormouse.
    RIP Snuffles. :cry:
    Poor Snuffles. You all did right by her.

• jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    I think Snuffles would thank you for your kindness, poor little kitty.
    Today we were visiting my friend in hospital, we walked there as the hospital isn’t far from us. Spencer behaved like a Guide Dog. He didn’t put a paw wrong. Lots of corridors, stairs, lifts, through the cafe and then past the nurse stations and lying by the bed on the ward.

What a star ⭐️

At the hospital.
    Go, Spencer!
    Well done, Spencer! :heart:
    What a good boy!
  • AravisAravis Shipmate
    Our elderly cat Mick (he’s at least sixteen and a half; not entirely sure as he was a rescue cat) had a trip to the vet yesterday, to have his claws clipped, get more arthritis medication and have his weight loss investigated.
    We eventually worked out a month ago, by trial and error, why he was being sick a lot; he’s developed an intolerance to fish and any fish-based cat food reappears after a few hours. Cat food with a small amount of fish (which is most of them, annoyingly) makes him listless and out of sorts and gives him terrible dandruff. Since we discovered this he’s managed to regain a bit of weight and is happier, though still looks very bony and a shadow of his former self.
    The vet doesn’t think anything sinister is going on and decided a cat capable of putting up that much resistance to claw clipping at his age was probably OK. He did so much swearing and biting that she put a mask on him. Then he flailed around trying to head-butt her.
    This morning he’s in a particularly happy and self confident mood. I think the necessity for the mask has restored his belief in himself as a Formidable Cat.
  • Lily PadLily Pad Shipmate
    Thanks for the smile, Aravis. Sounds like you have a good vet!

We've had nothing but rain for a few weeks and I'm laid up with a broken leg so relying on neighbours to get my dog out. Yesterday was the first day with a little sunshine and I was relieved to think that she would come back dry and fairly clean. But that was not to be. Apparently, the walk included a trip up to a lagoon and both dogs took a swim! I got back a stinky soaking wet dog and it was off to the bath. She's all curled up on her chair this morning and looking lovely while the wind gusts and the clouds gather for another wet day.
  • Lily PadLily Pad Shipmate
    Lovely outfit! I may have to get sewing. I have a bunch of towels that I use. Her favourite thing is having a towel over her head with me drying off her ears. :) Love the video and seeing Tatze patience and then not so much.
  • Sorry to hear about your broken leg @Lily Pad - I suspect your dog is enjoying a lot of your company :smile: Last summer my cat got far too used to having a lot of lap time when my leg was mending and I’m not sure she’s yet accepted that she gets less of that now I can get out and about again.
  • Lovely pics, Boogie.
  • AravisAravis Shipmate
    Mick had another trip to the vet yesterday as he wasn’t eating again - he had a more thorough check this time and there’s a large tumour in his stomach. The vet advised it isn’t worth trying to operate on a cat of his age and he will probably need to be put to sleep some time in the next few weeks. I don’t know if they would come to the house to do that - it would be more peaceful for him I think?
    My daughter will be devastated - she is due home this weekend and barely remembers life without him.
  • Sorry to hear about Mick, Aravis
    Oh Aravis, such bad news. You, your daughter and Mick are in my thoughts.
  • CathscatsCathscats Shipmate
    That is so hard. I have been there with a cancerous cat - and he wasn't an old one - and receiving the body from the vet in the surgery was not the best of experiences. Home might be better, just because you can cry and don't have to drive.
  • So sorry, cyber hugs to you both.
    Aravis, I'm so sad about your Mick and for you and your daughter. :heartbreak: