Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

AS: Interesting Times-the 2020 USA thread

Comments

• PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Maybe that's what she was doing ... :wink:
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    It's a nice cool 49 degree morning here! Daughter-Unit is running a 10K at Universal up by Orlando this morning. I admire her and wish I had not quit running when I was a teen. One of my friends told me it wasn't 'lady-like'. Should never have listened to her!!! If I could go back and give my young self a bit of wisdom, that's what I would pass on.
  • Has the time come for Iowa to abandon caucuses in favour of primaries?
  • RuthRuth Shipmate
    You really don't want me to get started talking about Iowa in All Saints!
  • Caissa wrote: »
    Has the time come for Iowa to abandon caucuses in favour of primaries?
    Absolutely! And it's also about time that they're not the first state to have whatever it is that they have.
    Having just Googled and consulted the BBC website's coverage of the Iowa caucus I'm rather confused. It looks as though some states (like Iowa) choose the candidate who'll stand for each party by a show of hands (!) and others (like New Hampshire) have a secret ballot, which seems bizarre, to say the least.

Or have I completely misunderstood it?
  • You have not completely misunderstood, though caucuses like Iowa’s are actually more complicated than a show of hands. Most states have primaries (read elections with secret ballots), but some do caucuses instead.

• MooMoo Kerygmania Host
    AIUI one disadvantage to caucuses is that they are held in only a limited number of places, so they are not easily accessible to everyone.

Primaries are held everywhere where people vote.
    Is everyone entitled to vote for prospective candidates, or do you have to be a card-carrying party member?

And how in the name of all that's holy did Trump get 97% of the Republican vote?!?
  • Piglet wrote: »
    Is everyone entitled to vote for prospective candidates, or do you have to be a card-carrying party member?
    That, like many election rules, varies from state to state. Where I live, everyone registered as a Democrat can vote in Democratic primaries, everyone registered as Republican can vote in Republican primaries, and everyone registered as unaffiliated (called independent elsewhere) can vote in either the Democratic or Republican primary, at their own choice.

• Piglet wrote: »
    And how in the name of all that's holy did Trump get 97% of the Republican vote?!?
    I believe he was the only Republican candidate.
  • Several idiot states have taken steps to prevent other Republicans from running against him, which leaves only the option of writing in someone else, or staying home altogether and hoping that the convention itself will take care of it (for example, by nominations from the floor). The fact that 4% apparently voted for someone else under such circs is perhaps hopeful--you have to be damned angry and stubborn and dedicated to haul yourself out to make such an obviously futile gesture, when you know all along the game's been rigged. We can only hope that these folk will stay angry and be joined by other, more pragmatic Republicans --ones who stayed home but felt the same--during the real election.
    Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    Piglet wrote: »
    As LC says, it's rather comforting that he only managed 97% of the vote despite being the only candidate ... :mrgreen:
  • I know various dictators claim to have democratic elections, pretending to have an opponent, and then winning only 97% or 98% of the vote. (In many of those countries the mysterious "opponents" wind up missing. That's NOT what I'm insinuating here.)
  • A h... but so hopeful that Pete B got such a high percentage! It will make the New Hampshire primary this coming week all the more interesting.

I am certainly closer to Bernie's age than Pete's but Bernie always comes across as a cranky old man lecturing the world (Yes, husband does at times say that of me!) but Pete offers a fresh look and hope for the future. Interesting times indeed! (And oh what homophobic poo flinging there may be if the general election is Trump vs Buttigieg. But then again Leo Varadkar broke that ceiling a while back.)
    I suspect that particular ceiling might be a little more reachable in Ireland than it is in the US; the vitriolic hatred that's spouted against gay people by certain sections of the American populace is (mercifully) less prevalent there.

I'd be delighted to see Mr. Buttigieg winning, because he appears to be decent, honourable, patriotic and brave - everything Trump isn't - but in the current toxic political climate, I'm not holding my breath.
  • I think the people who would not vote for Buttigieg because the is gay would vote for Trump no matter who else was running. I understand older white people support him, which I find interesting. I like him and I am old and white. I wonder why that is. My first choice is Amy K. I can't remember how to spell her last name. She does not seem to be doing very well however. Interesting times indeed.
  • I think the people who would not vote for Buttigieg because the is gay would vote for Trump no matter who else was running.

There was video from the Iowa caucuses of some woman trying to take her vote back because she'd just discovered that Buttigieg was the one that was gay. I don't know how you can both be politically involved enough to show up for a caucus, and oblivious enough not to have noticed that Mayor Pete is frequently accompanied by his husband, often talks about his husband, and generally makes no secret of his gayness, but there you are.

Says a lot more about her than it does about him, doesn't it? :frowning:
  • RuthRuth Shipmate
    Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    As LC says, it's rather comforting that he only managed 97% of the vote despite being the only candidate ... :mrgreen:

Other things relevant here:
    --People have bailed out of the Republican party because of Trump. So when he gets 97% of the votes or has a high approval rating among Republicans, keep in mind that this is a smaller group than it was four years ago.
    --People who haven't left the party but who don't like Trump know that even if there's someone else on the primary ballot, Trump will be the nominee. My mother said on her mail-in ballot she just wrote "Never!" next to Trump's name.
    --It's not at all unusual for an incumbent president to not face a strong primary challenge. There might have been someone else on the Democratic primary ballot besides Obama in 2012, but if there was, I don't remember!
  • Golden KeyGolden Key Shipmate, Glory
    Re Buttigieg:

After that woman tried to take back her vote because he's gay, he said that, if elected, he'd be *her* president, too.
    Well done him.
  • RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host, Glory
    ...My first choice is Amy K. I can't remember how to spell her last name. She does not seem to be doing very well however. Interesting times indeed.
    She's expected to do better in New Hampshire. I like her. She's moderate, intelligent, sensible, well-informed, works well with others, and has a good sense of humor. Oh, and Trump has nothing he can use against her.

• RuthRuth Shipmate
    He'll make something up!
    That was my first thought too, @Ruth - when did not having anything on someone ever stop him?
  • You know, if I were in her shoes, I would be seriously considering feeding him something--something as ridiculous as possible (he'd swallow it!) to prevent him seizing on some idiocy that might actually do damage. But my brain boggles at trying to come up with something that you could expect voters to reliably evaluate as false. They've swallowed so much other crap. Maybe she could have it leaked to him that she was the secret queen of Greenland and was refusing to sell it just to enrage him? That would make for an entertaining series of tweets, as he would certainly, ah, buy it.
  • Maybe she could leak that she was Bernie Sander's love child.
  • With whom?

Elizabeth Warren, I assume.
  • Nancy Pelosi.
    We're having another two days of cool weather!!! Very much appreciated by most of us who live here. Probably not so much appreciated by our visitors and snowbirds.
  • They're predicting that some sort of water is supposed to fall from the sky tomorrow. I believe it's called "rain." Desperately needed, but it means all the pollen-generating plants will probably get even pollenier.

ION, we hit 80 degrees yesterday. The earliest date ever, I believe.

(I'm in central Arizona.)
    There was more rain than enough here yesterday and today - would you like some?
    Me! Me!! I would like some of your extra rain!!
    I'll get it in the post ... :smiley:
    You are a dear!! :blush:
  • I just read in this mornings news that this is National Nap Day. Now this is a holiday I can take full advantage of. I think it should be declared a federal holiday.
    I'll go along with that! :tired_face:
  • RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host, Glory
    My friends in the Feline Ministry to the Sick are in full agreement concerning National Nap Day.
  • bassobasso Shipmate
    We should listen -- they are experts, no?

Absolutely!! Unfortunately, a nap wasn't in the stars for me yesterday, so I just added nap time to my sleep time overnight. Hopefully TFMttS would consider approval of this, but I know they have clocks in their stomachs, so I imagine this variation wouldn't fly.
    I took the advice of the FMS and had a very nice nap this afternoon. :smiley:
  • I tried to nap but first phone went off, person with heavy Indian accent informed me that medicare could cover treatment for my lower back problem. #$%$ off. Yes I said that. This is about the 6th or 7th time they have phoned. Always with a different local number. Went back to sleep and UPS truck arrived. The dog always lets us know loudly when the killer man from UPS is coming up our front steps to murder us all and rob us blind. Sigh.
  • ha. Just saw the first reports from the primary in my state. Trump has lost 8% of Republicans, despite being the only active candidate. (Yeah, guess where my vote didn't go.)

A small "fuck you," but mine own.
    edited March 2020
    Way to go, @Lamb Chopped !!!
    Thank you!!!

ETA, my dad didn't vote for him, either!
  • Many thanks Lamb Chopped. It makes me sad as a life long Democrat to see what has happened to the Republican party. I have always thought our country was stronger with two balanced parties each wanting the best and working together with compromise to pass important bills. I feel now the loyal opposition is in shambles. With hope it will rise again out of the ashes.
  • Please God. A one party system would suck in so many ways.
  • bassobasso Shipmate
    The latest today is that most of the Bay Area is now under a 'shelter in place' order. No unnecessary trips out of your residence. I work at a grocery store, which counts as an essential service, so I'm allowed to go to work. I've just cancelled a physical therapy appointment since I can't pretend that it's a necessary medical trip. After I finish work, it's right back home.
  • Here in Vermont we too are in a 'shelter in place' order for those of 70 years or more. Brash in the face of it we did some grocery shopping yesterday to stock the pantry and freezer. They had no chicken. Returned first thing this morning, they have no chicken and no hopes of chicken. This is a real butcher's shop and the regular butcher was close to tears, looking at his display case offering only bacon and hotdogs....
  • Mr Image has agreed to enter the 21 century and sign up to pay bills on line. He liked to write checks and where he could go into places such as the water company and pay in person and chat a bit. The new shelter in place means a whole new banking system for him. Lord in your mercy hear my prayers as I try to work it out for him. I am guessing it is going to be like him trying to teach me to drive a stick shift.
  • Miss Amanda has been sulking in her stateroom for the longest time, but it is time to venture out on deck once more. At least the Ship's decks are safe.

I'm feeling very stressed out with current conditions. All of the activities I find essential to my well-being have been taken away. The chorus I belong to has suspended rehearsals indefinitely and is talking about canceling the remainder of our concert season. I take courses at a local community college, but they have extended spring break for one more week and have said that all classes will be held strictly on-line once they resume.

Church services have been canceled or are being held on-line. Restaurants and theaters are off limits. Yes, gas has gotten cheaper, but there's no place to drive to anymore!

God help us get through this all.