Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

AS: Interesting Times-the 2020 USA thread

Comments

• Graven Image -- Prayer ascends for you both! Hubby enjoys doing that personal visit for bill paying as well, and this morning sent me to find a store selling envelopes so we can mail checks in. I have not the bravery to encourage moving to on line banking during this anxious period -- we can't get to the liquor store for the quantities of Scotch we would need to get through it.
  • Welcome back Miss Amanda, you have been missed. Thanks for grouping up with us in our shared isolation. @BabyWombat, I should have noted what has saved our marriage low these 53 years is we have always kept separate banking accounts.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Welcome back, Miss Amanda - good to see you again! :)
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    Miss Amanda!! It's so good to see your lovely face!!

I've been keeping my parents at home for over a week, and they've been very good about it. (I've only gotten groceries and gone to doctors' appointments...including taking my mother to the Emergency Room...that was a fright, I'll tell you!!!) So, for a treat today, I took them on a nice long car ride through the country!!! They really enjoyed that, and it was great to get them out of the house. It was especially great that Mom actually felt well enough to go on the ride!

This COVID19 is from the devil. It can just quit, already. Hmmmph.
  • Had a delicious St. Patrick's Day dinner of corned beef and cabbage at my sister's house tonight. Had a delightful piano lesson today -- and a good chat -- with the piano instructor from college, who came to my house and said she'd come every week while the closure at school lasts. Had some very encouraging e-mail from friends and family. And of course had all of your good wishes, fellow Shipmates. Feeling much better tonight.
  • Just heard that my whole county will go on home isolation in 24 hours. My cleaning lady is coming in the morning and told us to leave the door unlocked and stay in our back room as we are both older then dirt, while she cleans. Bless her heart, who know when she can come again and she has 5 children to support. We will mail her our usual twice a month check and have her apply it to cleaning credit when life goes back to normal. I worry for all the small businesses that keep our little town alive. I hope they receive some government help.
  • bassobasso Shipmate
    We've been on lockdown for a week in the Bay Area.
    Things are a little calmer in my store. Shelves are better stocked and the crowds are thinning out. We're helping the latter out by admitting only 25 when we open, and letting one customer in as another leaves. People are remarkably calm through it all, and grateful that we're open at all.
    We still don't have any TP - some came in yesterday while I was off and was gone before I got back.
    I mentioned that last bit to a customer who knows me from my former job at BurgerPalace, and he immediately gave me his home address, and said that he could spare a six-pack for me. Makes me think that maybe we'll get through this after all.
  • RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host, Glory
    That's good to read, basso. We're going on lockdown, which is frightening since I can do very little for myself in terms of cooking, and nothing at all in terms of shopping. This is where faith comes in.

• DooneDoone Shipmate
    Oh, Rosse, I’m praying for you and that whatever you need arrives at the right time.
    Thank you, Doone. I do have aides 24/7 since my hospital stay; I'm going to have to challenge their shopping and cooking skills.
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    😀
  • pennysmom53pennysmom53 Shipmate Posts: 2
    The mayor of my city keeps leaving robocalls updating us on what is going on. Latest news is that all non-essential businesses are closed. The bishops have cancelled church services until possibly after Easter. I have been watching Morning Prayer I that a clergy friend of mine is doing. It froze during her sermon. Came back on after the sermon. Hmmm...
  • pennysmom53pennysmom53 Shipmate Posts: 2
    Dang--the new system changed my screen name (I used to be almostrev).
  • CNN has reported that Senator Rand Paul has tested positive but is asymptomatic, and that he was in the Senate gym as recently as this morning. Other Republican senators are extremely worried.
  • Interesting he can get tested even though asymptomatic, where I am tests at this point are only given if you show symptoms, or have been in contact with someone who has tested positive. They closed all hotels in my county tonight, along with all campgrounds, hiking trails, parks, lakes and such.
  • I just helped Mr Image get set up for online banking. One hour later I need a drink and deserve a metal and it is only 11 AM, but we are still married.
    Well done, GI! :flushed:
    Brava, GI! I hope you had several drinks.
    How close are you folk to being on lockdown as we are in the UK? Is it something that'll be done centrally, or is it down to each individual state?
  • State by state. Last I heard, the you-know-who is still saying it'll all be over in 15 days.
    edited March 2020
    For once I wish he was right.

Not that he is, you understand ... :cry:
  • Well mr t may very well say it is over, may all the governors and people ignore him. So far our rural country has no reported cases. Do not come visit please. All hotels and other lodging is closed throughout the county.
  • State by state. Last I heard, the you-know-who is still saying it'll all be over in 15 days.
    Or locality by locality. Last I saw, two counties (out of 100) and one town in North Carolina have issued shelter-in-place directives, but the state as a whole has not. Not that the state hasn’t taken action. The governor declared a state of emergency weeks ago. Non-essential businesses have been told to close, schools are closed, colleges and universities have gone to online classes, lots and lots of people are teleworking, only small churches are having services, restaurants are take-out or delivery only, etc. Things are fairly quiet around here.

State by state. Last I heard, the you-know-who is still saying it'll all be over in 15 days.
    The AP reports, << "I would love to have the country opened up and just raring to go by Easter," (Trump) said during a Fox News virtual town hall. >>

Meanwhile, the eyes of everyone in the reality-based world threaten to roll right out of our heads.

• Be careful what you wish for. I happened to look at my diary from a year ago. I had written this. "I do not really need any vacations, I would prefer an occasional day off when I do not feel like leaving my house."
  • New York City is now an epicenter of the pandemic. Hospitals are filling up to capacity and more. Our mayor has predicted that over 50 percent of New Yorkers will come down with the virus. We hope he is wrong. The city is on lockdown. We are being told to stay home and to maintain a 6-foot distance between people when we are outside; all nonessential businesses have been closed; toilet paper, hand sanitizer, face masks and paper towels are hard to impossible to come by; public transportation is running on a reduced schedule, with very few people daring to ride it; etc., etc.

As a senior (74 years old) with mild diabetes, I am supposedly in the most vulnerable group. I am not prone to colds and flu, however. In fact, I can't remember the last time I had either one. I hope it will be the same with COVID-19, although I am not going to take any chances.
  • Stay safe, Author Diva. I too pray that your mayor is wrong.
  • Thank you, @Graven Image . I intend to do everything I can to stay healthy, and I pray that everyone affected by this virus will be safe.
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Amen to that 🕯
  • NicoleMRNicoleMR Shipmate
    Girl Scouts are not going to be selling cookies in person this year due to the virus, but those of us who need our cookie fix can now order them on-line for delivery, and even donate boxes to health care workers. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post the link or not, since it might count as advertising, but it's easy enough to find thanks to google.

So comfort yourself with a box or four of Thin Mints!
  • NicoleMR wrote: »
    Girl Scouts are not going to be selling cookies in person this year due to the virus, but those of us who need our cookie fix can now order them on-line for delivery, and even donate boxes to health care workers. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post the link or not, since it might count as advertising, but it's easy enough to find thanks to google.

So comfort yourself with a box or four of Thin Mints!
    I’m a little confused. Girl Scout cookies are sold in February, at least here. It was all done by the time the virus started to unhinge things.

• Yeah, we've had ours and are now regretting them, mostly when we put our trousers on.
  • NicoleMRNicoleMR Shipmate
    Well they are selling them on-line now. Get them while you can!
  • I shouldn't have done it because I'm supposed to be on a diet, but I ordered 2 boxes of Samoas and 2 boxes of Thin Mints. (Shame on me.) I also ordered 2 boxes to be donated to healthcare workers during the COVID-19 crisis.
    That was a Very Good Thing to do, Author Diva, and will doubtless negate any calories in the ones you keep for yourself. :mrgreen:
  • Thank you, @Piglet . I will remember that as I happily enjoy a handful of Thin Mints!
    I'm copying this from the Aging Parents thread, because I want to share it here too! I'm so excited!!
    jedijudy wrote: »

Dad's 90th birthday is Good Friday. (Did I already post this somewhere? I've got bronchitis, so no brain.)

I was really feeling down about not being able to spend it with him because 1. Covid and 2. bronchitis.

When I shared this with my group of friends, one of them came up with the idea of a car parade! So, Friday, we will meet at the street in front of my home, and Daughter-Unit is bringing balloons and decorations, and we will drive to M&D's home with horns blaring and sing happy birthday to Dad from our cars!!

I was afraid some neighbors might get concerned and call the sheriff, so I let them know what was going to happen, and they just might send a couple of deputies to join in!!!

With all the stuff going on, I'm really excited about this!

Dad is a Korean War vet, so I'm going to call him when we are almost to his home, tell him to put on one of his veteran hats, and that he and Mom should stand outside their front door!

• Enjoy. People in our community are doing it for kids birthdays, and the fire dept is also showing up with sirens. Go team for your dad.
  • Awesome!

More awesomeness: My son just received a full-tuition scholarship to a college in Minnesota. We can afford to fix the sewer this year!
    Great news, Lamb Chopped!! Things are looking up!
    Thanks, Graven Image!! It's nice to have something to look forward to, and I'm sure the kids really need the extra special attention on their big days!
  • Awesome!

More awesomeness: My son just received a full-tuition scholarship to a college in Minnesota. We can afford to fix the sewer this year!
    Yay!!! Congrats to him, and to Mom and Dad!

• Thank you!
    I'm copying this from the Aging Parents thread, because I want to share it here too! I'm so excited!!

Dad's 90th birthday is Good Friday. (Did I already post this somewhere? I've got bronchitis, so no brain.)

I was really feeling down about not being able to spend it with him because 1. Covid and 2. bronchitis.

When I shared this with my group of friends, one of them came up with the idea of a car parade! So, Friday, we will meet at the street in front of my home, and Daughter-Unit is bringing balloons and decorations, and we will drive to M&D's home with horns blaring and sing happy birthday to Dad from our cars!!

I was afraid some neighbors might get concerned and call the sheriff, so I let them know what was going to happen, and they just might send a couple of deputies to join in!!!

With all the stuff going on, I'm really excited about this!

Dad is a Korean War vet, so I'm going to call him when we are almost to his home, tell him to put on one of his veteran hats, and that he and Mom should stand outside their front door!
    Brava, @jedijudy! Well done! (Friday would have been the Mater's 100th birthday - something else we have in common!)

Awesome!

Fantabulous!

Well done, JJ and Lamb Junior!
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Fabulous, @Lamb Chopped and clever boy!
    Rossweisse wrote: »
    Brava, @jedijudy! Well done! (Friday would have been the Mater's 100th birthday - something else we have in common!)

I will be thinking of your mother when we celebrate tomorrow, Rossweisse! I love all the connections we find!
  • Yesterday would have been my mother’s 94th birthday. My brother, a doctor in the town we grew up in, reported to my sister and me that yesterday, while attending to patients in the health care wing of a retirement community there, he saw our decades-long across-the-street neighbor, who shared our mother’s birthday. She (the neighbor) was 100 yesterday.

We had a most wonderful parade for my dad today! He was completely blown away! Three deputies joined us with lights and sirens! Sweet Daughter-Unit, my wonderful Son-in-Law and one of their friends came an hour early to blow up balloons and decorate the cars.

So, one of the deputies and my 90 year old dad did three pushups together!

Those of you who are friends with me on the Book of Face can see a short video in the comments on the post I made for Dad's birthday.

This has really brightened up a time of stress for so many of us and I'm so grateful for excellent kids and friends who made it happen!