Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

AS: Interesting Times-the 2020 USA thread

Comments

• Three cheers, and no doubt you will recommend him to others looking for his work.
  • A few years ago I needed a minor repair done to my watch. I brought it into a jeweler, who made the repair quickly and didn't charge me for it. When it came time to buy a new watch, I went back to that same jeweler, bought a watch, and told him that the reason I was patronizing him and not some other jeweler was because of that time he did the repair for me.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Proper thing Miss Amanda - one good turn and all that! :)
  • MooMoo Kerygmania Host
    I told the exterminator that any time I had a problem, I would call him.
  • Pity he can't make a service call to the White House.
  • Do you think he might have a trap large enough? Not sure where you could safely let the varmint go, though.
  • Golden KeyGolden Key Shipmate, Glory
    A Very Nice Home in the countryside, with high walls to make him feel safe, and with lots of care and help? And occasional Big Macs, specially delivered? And a golf course inside the walls.
  • bassobasso Shipmate
    I think we could afford a Big Mac shop within those walls. (Subject to the approval of the appointed dietitian, of course.)
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    We are having a few effects from TS Laura today. She's throwing some far-flung rain bands!!

Hoping for her to not strengthen like is predicted in the hot Gulf water.

It was 28 years ago today that Hurricane Andrew hit Homestead, Florida. And this year, we're already to Marco (Polo). In 2005, the most active hurricane season ever (when we ran out of the official hurricane names and had to use Greek letters), the 'M' storm didn't form until September.

Let's hope we don't need to study up on our Greek letters again. :astonished:
  • Well this is our 8th day of fire evacuation. No end in sight. At the moment our house seems to be outside the fire line. Good news is I did not watch the Republican thingie, and I have not thought much about the virus. I am staying on my son's property in our mini camper what a blessing when so many people are not so lucky to have a place to go. A young friend of his is camping in the field in his tent. We are staying six feet apart and not sharing food. I have been feeding the sheep, walking the dog, and canning peaches all good things to keep the mind busy but now I am tired and want to go home.
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    I really hope you can go home soon, @Graven Image, what a stressful situation! 🕯
  • Happy Dance, house is safe, and we are going home tomorrow. Smoke is bad but we have to wear a mask out anyway so our smoke mask kills 2 birds with one stone.
  • Golden KeyGolden Key Shipmate, Glory
    Yay, Graven Image! :) Take good care of yourselves.
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Excellent news!
    Glad to hear it, GI - take care! :)
  • Wonderful, @Graven Image!
  • LydaLyda Shipmate
    It's close to 8:00 PM here in Southern California and it's 100F/38C. It was 116F/47C at its hottest in my town today. Tomorrow is predicted to be "much cooler", 101F/38C. Whoopee.
  • RuthRuth Shipmate
    Here on the SoCal coast it was only 102. But a lot of us don't have AC.
  • 41C/106F yesterday afternoon on the Peninsula. No AC. I got home at about 4pm and laid down - woke up at 9pm. It's still too hot.
  • LydaLyda Shipmate
    Wait until the Arizonans come by to laugh in our faces.
  • We’ve actually gotten a hint that fall is coming here in the Carolinas. It was in the 70s yesterday, and it’s 58° right now (8:00 am). The high today is supposed to be in the low 80s. Wish I could share it with those of you in California or Arizona.

Happy Labor Day, all!

• Very hot here. 22C at 5am, and the power was out when I got up. Power's back but I think it'll be an interesting day. Cool in the store if we have the juice.
  • MooMoo Kerygmania Host
    For the past few days the overnight lows have been in the fifties, which means the days are less humid. It's a great relief.
  • Lyda wrote: »
    Wait until the Arizonans come by to laugh in our faces.
    I've just been quietly snickering to myself.
    :smile:

What makes a huge difference, however, is that here in Arizona (where we've broken all sorts of temperature records this summer) -- EVERYthing is air conditioned. Unless there's a power failure or some sort of break-down, most of us are o.k. And then there are the homeless...
    :cry:

• RuthRuth Shipmate
    And then there are the homeless...
    :cry:

I live in a city of a bit under half a million, and the city government had 5 cooling centers open over the weekend. The city of Los Angeles, with 4 million, also had 5 cooling centers open. I don't know what they were thinking. It was 111 in the middle of LA, and around 115 in the San Fernando Valley. People died. We just don't know who yet.
  • RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host, Glory
    Oh, Lord - that's terrible. At best, we can say that they weren't thinking. How appalling!
  • Ruth that is so sad to hear. I do not understand how this was allowed to happen. Has humanity lost its heart and soul? Meantime much of the West Coast is filled with dark skies as smoke layer has filtered out the light. Lights on to drive in the middle of the day. Very eerie feeling. Thankful it has cooled things off.
  • Very sad news.

A friend in San Jose just sent me a picture of the sky. Apocalyptic orange.
    We're just getting the first of the rain from tropical depression 19. Looks like it will become TS Sally sometime tomorrow after it gets in the hot Gulf waters.

It's been a dry summer here, and we could use the rain, but I sure wish I could share it with y'all on the west coast. <3
  • What's needed is a network of pipelines connecting flood-prone regions to drought-prone regions. But there'd be no money in it, hence it will never be built.
    You are right, Miss Amanda. Too bad, since TS Sally has formed ahead of schedule.

Breezy here, but the northern Gulf needs to get ready for a storm. Hopefully it won't get too strong as it crosses the Gulf.
  • Seems clearish today. Made up word but fits. Yet when I checked the state air quality site for my area it said red danger zone going to purple high danger zone tomorrow. Yes Miss Amanda and good air washing rain ( with out lightening strikes) would be most welcome now. Meantime other then early morning dog walk with mask I am staying in the closed up house. Praise God for electric power and air condition. I am changing the filter daily. No easy task as it is on floor level. No problem getting down but getting up is far from a lady like maneuver.
  • Air quality has been on 'unhealthy' for a few days now. We're not making people stand in line at the store -- we don't want them standing outdoors in this muck. If it gets a little crowded, it does.
    No a/c or filters for me. I've got a fan but I'm keeping the window closed.
    I'll be happy when things clear up a bit.
  • RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host, Glory
    I just offered a friend of mine who lives in Palo Alto my guest room, in the smoke-free if unglamorous Midwest. She’s considering it.
  • Our air quality here in Oregon just dipped (barely) down to merely "Unhealthy", rather that "Hazardous" as it has been for several days. Total burn area was over 1 million acres ( 1560 square miles / 4000 sq km / 300000 hectares if I got the conversions right) in less than a week since the fierce winds started over Labor Day weekend. Several small towns were wiped out.

Fires still aren't out, but the biggest ones aren't threatening populated areas as much now, though others are popping up. We might be able to go outside again this weekend - if the new fires don't get too big.

Some friends in California lost their home 3 years ago, and got burned over by the Bear fire this week. Fortunately the new buildings survived this time around (because many trees had been burned in the last fire).
  • Today our air quality went from very bad to just bad. Happy for the improvement but truth be told I can not see the difference. I did venture out for a dental check up. I was pleased temp taken, masks and plastic shield and gloves all around. They also have 3 rooms and after cleaning one they leave it empty for one hour before bringing in the next patient. I was not looking forward to the visit but in truth felt better then going anyplace else as of late.
  • I have to go in tomorrow morning for the first of several dental appointments involving a very major procedure. I, too, am not looking forward to it, but I have been pleased with the way my dentist and his staff are conducting the affairs of their practice.
  • I shall speak to Saint Apollonia for you, Miss Amanda.
    It must be time to see our dentists!!

I went yesterday for my much delayed cleaning, and was extremely pleased with all the precautions they have in place!!! I was even walked in by a staff member so I wouldn't have to touch any doors! They sprayed antibacterial liquid on my hands, and I swished with peroxide for 20 seconds. It makes sense!

Like you, Miss Amanda, I'll be having an extensive procedure ($$$$) soon. However, I feel much better about having to spend a lot of time in their office now.
  • It must indeed be time to see our dentists. My appointment is tomorrow, but hopefully just cleaning and an exam.
  • I think maybe it is because dentists have been using care to prevent cross/contamination for some time. Thinking TB and such. In any case happy for the extra care.
  • Dental procedure went well. Call Miss Amanda a toothless old thing.
  • So happy Miss Amanda that you made it through part one of the procedure.
    Glad to hear it, Miss Amanda - take care! :)
  • Glad to hear Part One is done. I found that a major dental procedure was best addressed by regular doses of brandy. For the pain, you understand.
  • Glad to hear Part One is done. I found that a major dental procedure was best addressed by regular doses of brandy. For the pain, you understand.

I just had my teeth checked and cleaned; all went well. Do I still get doses of brandy?

No alcohol, unfortunately. Dentist says it may dissolve the clots. I'll risk a glass of wine, though, at dinner this Friday with my sister.
  • Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    Glad to hear Part One is done. I found that a major dental procedure was best addressed by regular doses of brandy. For the pain, you understand.

I just had my teeth checked and cleaned; all went well. Do I still get doses of brandy?

Well, because you were so good about taking care of your teeth, yes, you get a reward.
  • ooh, me too! me too!
  • 🕯 RBG זכר צדיק וקדוש לברכה May the memory of the righteous and holy be a blessing.